Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The output formats available for VideoRedo Plus are:
MPEG Program Stream *.mpg *.mpeg
Elementary Streams *.mpv *.mpa
DVD Stream *.vob
None of those are *.ts and If you load a *.ts file without doing any thing to it and try to save it it asks you: There is no cuts defined, Do you wish to re-mux the entire input file?
And like I said I compared the two files input and output and there is a difrence, you may not notice the diffrence on a CRT monitor but with HD LCD monitor it's a little bit of diff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2773 Old 07-07-2005, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I started a VideoReDo thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=5854948

Let's take all the editing discussion elsewhere, as it is not specific to the R5000-HD.
post #363 of 2773 Old 07-08-2005, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I think the thread is in this link:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...48#post5854948
post #364 of 2773 Old 07-17-2005, 03:29 AM

Hello,
I must say I'm very satisfied with my R5000-HD that I purchased about a month ago, and I'm wondering if the ability to split the recording into multiple files (based on time or file size limit) will be implemented anytime soon.

Thank you
post #365 of 2773 Old 07-17-2005, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I am wondering the same thing.
Gary
post #366 of 2773 Old 07-17-2005, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I am wondering what type(how many) of glitches folks are getting now days from Dish?? I will be buying the setup next week on the sale price but was wondering how Dish was doing nowdays for folks??

-Gary
post #367 of 2773 Old 07-17-2005, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well it doesn't matter because I just dropped 750$ on the 6000 from the guys, that sale price really got me

I am(was) a 169time veteran and dumped that pos setup, I am giving d-vhs another stab with a total new and different setup

previous setup was:

169time 6000 receiver
JVC 30k VCR
used S-VHS media

my new setup will be:

r5000-hd 6000 receiver
mitsubishi 2000u VCR
brand new S-VHS/D-VHS media

my original setup yielded great tapes, that had no problems but 2 to 3 resyncs from 169time's crappy software, these were always towards the end of the film ruining movies basically, but I had many a perfect tape with 169time

I am a veteran of the D-VHS format and look to be able to get 100% perfect tapes with the r5000-hd

Can't wait to get it going, I am tuff on equipment like this(I tell it like it is) but I have much faith in the r5000-hd setup and their obvious care for their customers and product

thats why they just got my 750$ so easily

-Gary
post #368 of 2773 Old 07-17-2005, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

Well it doesn't matter because I just dropped 750$ on the 6000 from the guys, that sale price really got me

I am(was) a 169time veteran and dumped that pos setup, I am giving d-vhs another stab with a total new and different setup

previous setup was:

169time 6000 receiver
JVC 30k VCR
used S-VHS media

my new setup will be:

r5000-hd 6000 receiver
mitsubishi 2000u VCR
brand new S-VHS/D-VHS media

my original setup yielded great tapes, that had no problems but 2 to 3 resyncs from 169time's crappy software, these were always towards the end of the film ruining movies basically, but I had many a perfect tape with 169time

I am a veteran of the D-VHS format and look to be able to get 100% perfect tapes with the r5000-hd

Can't wait to get it going, I am tuff on equipment like this(I tell it like it is) but I have much faith in the r5000-hd setup and their obvious care for their customers and product

thats why they just got my 750$ so easily

-Gary

Gary,

I think you will be pleasantly surprised how well your new setup works. I have basically the same thing (Dish 6000, JVC 30000 and a bunch of S-VHS tapes). I don't post of this forum very often, because my modded unit has worked pretty much the same way ever since I got it several months ago. I've taped lots of shows and movies and seldom have a problem. When I do have issues, it's usually because the S-VHS tapes I buy don't always record the digital content well. So, I have to check the content after each recording. I can probably count on one hand the number of problems that MAY have been caused by the R5000 mod - not sure about those.

Enjoy while you can, because eventually they'll close down this avenue for us to.

Joe Clark

Joe Clark

post #369 of 2773 Old 07-17-2005, 07:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sounds great Joe, thanks for your reply

You are so right, I am going to tape like a mad man for the next 2 tears or less until everything is switched to mpeg4, it may be longer than 2 years with Dish, who really knows though

-Gary
post #370 of 2773 Old 07-17-2005, 09:45 PM

Most problems I have seen lately on E* have been caused by factors outside of the end user's control. Showtime continues to have gaps and HDNET's error rate has picked up again - although both Showtime and HDNET were down to virtually no errors several weeks ago.

There was one movie overnight around 4am in the EPG that caused the R5000 Web Based PVR to blow up and shut down everytime you clicked to record it - I think it was Major League at 4am last Saturday July 9th, but don't remember for sure. But that is only time anyone I have talked with has ever seen that happen (and they were able to replicate it as well) - so probably bad EPG data from Zap2it.

Every so often (once every 2-3 weeks) the R5000HD software does error out and shut down while recording with a Windows Error - which it wants to report to Microsoft. It would be nice to have the program autoreload or set up a timer to autoreload and only allow one instance - otherwise you might miss a few caps until you restart the software.

The only improvement I could think to make is easier to edit selection when there are time conflicts, the remaining time on the cap, showing the actual MBps of the cap (like TSReader) and other technical info (1920x1080/Dolby 5.1/Telecine/ for example) you are obtaining in real time on the Recorder GUI.

If you clear all old items from the Web Based PVR menu, it clears the recording in progress and you have no idea what time it is scheduled to quit recording - thus the display on the Recording GUI.

The technical data on the GUI speaks for itself.

But again, these are enhancements. You should really enjoy your unit.

Thank goodness as I don't I could have taken more grief from my brother about it.

I am curious though....2 weeks ago you were a big advocate of using the 942 and swapping out hard drives. What changed?
post #371 of 2773 Old 07-17-2005, 11:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The dual 942 setup(now on ebay) was a dream but I have decided that I prefer D-VHS, if you are not a D-VHS guy there is nothing better than the dual 942 setup I used

So I decided to give the r5000 a shot

I keep having faith that Dish will finally get everything settled down to 99% error free broadcasting, they have done with many times like you mentioned but always go back to their bad ways, why can't they just leave it alone when it is working good

-Gary
post #372 of 2773 Old 07-18-2005, 12:41 AM

I own a myhd but not a r5000 YET.
one of the biggest issues I have with it is that I cannot REALLY watch live hdtv on my computer. They have that media player but thats different from watching it via the DVI passthru on myhd. I know you can have myhd play a TS while its recording from the r5000 but I dont think having the r5000 constantly recording is ideal.

I noticed the the r5000 says it can output to DVHS and the myhd can play DVHS. Is there some way these two can be linked so the myHD can play something directly from the r5000?

A "direct" link between the myhd and the r5000 with minimal system resource usage would be ideal for me since I probably spend more time watching TV rather than recording. perhaps a driver that allows the r5000 to emulate a tape device so it can be detected in myhd?
post #373 of 2773 Old 07-18-2005, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Joseph clark,
I use SVHS tapes with a Mits 11000 recorder ans I found that if you run a bulk eraser over them just befor recording I get a lower drop out rate. Not sure why but it seems to work.

Enrico Ng
It can't go directly to the MYHD without first going to disk. If for some reason you can't just watch the output from the satellite receiver directly, you can send the program to a JVC DVHS and watch its output. You do need a tape in, but you can stop the transport after starting the signal going to the recorder. John
post #374 of 2773 Old 07-18-2005, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdish View Post

Joseph clark,
I use SVHS tapes with a Mits 11000 recorder ans I found that if you run a bulk eraser over them just befor recording I get a lower drop out rate. Not sure why but it seems to work.

WOW! Can you still find bulk erasers?

Bulk Erasers have always been better for wiping bulk tape clean than letting the internal erase head deal with it. The reason? They operate with a much higher output level/magnetic level that would most likely damage or interfere with the recording heads of the machine if that high of an output was done within the machine. Just keep the bulk eraser a good distance from the machine itself and don't turn it on or off right next to the VHS tape you are erasing.

At the higher output, it assures that any stronger magnetic fields on the tape are completely wiped out - something the internal erase head doesn't always do - thus resulting in errors when that point is recorded over.
post #375 of 2773 Old 07-18-2005, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

Joseph clark,

The tapes I've been using are Fuji's, brand new. Are you saying that bulk erasing *blank* tape makes it record with fewer dropouts?

Thanks,

Joe Clark

Joe Clark

post #376 of 2773 Old 07-18-2005, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I Bought a brand new clearance bulk eraser at Radio Shack for like 15$, works fab

although I don't use it much anymore as I am no longer buying used S-VHS tapes ( doing that creates another useless headache )
I am buying brand new sealed bulk maxell st-126bq for 4.40$

-Gary
post #377 of 2773 Old 07-18-2005, 10:27 AM

Quote:

Enrico Ng
It can't go directly to the MYHD without first going to disk. If for some reason you can't just watch the output from the satellite receiver directly, you can send the program to a JVC DVHS and watch its output. You do need a tape in, but you can stop the transport after starting the signal going to the recorder. John

Well, I thought that the R5000 disables the output from the STB so I wouldnt beable to watch. Anyways, I don't have the money for an HDTV so I watch it on my lcd monitor via myhd.

so I can send the stream from the R5000 to the dvhs (via another computer with usb and firwire) then connect the coax output of the dvhs to the myhd and have this setup running 24/7?
does the DVHS coax output send a transport stream or the decoded video?

ideally, I would want some setup where I could watch tv using the myhd whenever I want then beable to record something on occasion. so I'd want it to act like a regular STB where I can change channels or whatever and watch tv without having to stop everything every few hours because my HD is full or have it use up half my system resources.
I'm trying to make a setup as if the r5000 just modified the STB so the transport stream just went to the coax output, so I could simply connect it to the myhd.
post #378 of 2773 Old 07-18-2005, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico Ng View Post

Is there some way these two can be linked so the myHD can play something directly from the r5000?

I asked Rod Hewitt, the author of TSReader, if he could do the same thing using TSReader and a Twinhan 102G satellite card. His response: MIT (MDP-100, 120 & 130) does not provide a SDK for these devices therefore developers can not write code for them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #379 of 2773 Old 07-18-2005, 12:05 PM

oh, I was trying to find a way to do it through hardware instead of software. like using the DVHS but I'm not sure
post #380 of 2773 Old 07-18-2005, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

The tapes I've been using are Fuji's, brand new. Are you saying that bulk erasing *blank* tape makes it record with fewer dropouts?

Thanks,

Joe Clark

With the the JVC tapes I am now using and the Mits recorder. Yes. I had a Panasonic recorder for several years and it never seemed to need this. John
post #381 of 2773 Old 07-18-2005, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Enrico Ng,
The R5000 does not disable the output from the set top box. It is not presently possible to get an HD RF output from any consumer device to feed a device like the MYHD. John
post #382 of 2773 Old 07-18-2005, 06:30 PM

Quote:

Enrico Ng,
The R5000 does not disable the output from the set top box. It is not presently possible to get an HD RF output from any consumer device to feed a device like the MYHD. John

oh, are there dvhs recorders with two firewire ports? so I could have an input and an output at the same time? that might work for me since myhd can connect to a dvhs.
post #383 of 2773 Old 07-18-2005, 09:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have never used a device that didn't have 2 ports, yes all D-VHS decks have 2 ports

-Gary
post #384 of 2773 Old 07-19-2005, 12:01 AM

oh, then could I connect the r5000 to the dvhs then the dvhs to my computer with the myhd and watch live tv?

would this be an alternative to having a computer continuously recording to disk and viewing the stream with myhd via windows file sharing over ethernet?
post #385 of 2773 Old 07-19-2005, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico Ng View Post

oh, then could I connect the r5000 to the dvhs then the dvhs to my computer with the myhd and watch live tv?

No, the R5000 connects via USB, all D-VHS machine uses IEEE1394, a.k.a. Firewire.

post #386 of 2773 Old 07-19-2005, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

No, the R5000 connects via USB, all D-VHS machine uses IEEE1394, a.k.a. Firewire.

sorry I meant through a computer to the dvhs.
from what I read, many people have this setup:

R5000 --usb---> computer #1 ---ethernet----> myhd computer

could I do

R5000 --usb---> computer #1 ---firewire----> DVHS ---firewire---> myhd computer

my goal would be to avoid having to constantly use up hard drive space on "computer #1". also I was guessing that using firewire would use less cpu resources than ethernet but I'm unsure about that.
post #387 of 2773 Old 07-19-2005, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Enrico that second setup might work, but I would strongly suggest the first to save from having so many devices in the firewire chain

the first setup would work great

-Gary
post #388 of 2773 Old 07-19-2005, 10:25 AM

but doesnt your hard drive fill up pretty quick with the first setup? Its kinda a waste to get a big hard drive just to use as a buffer. I want to beable to watch tv for a couple hours. sometimes I may leave it on for 12 hours.

for the second setup, wouldn't I beable to basically keep it on 24/7 without having to stop it and delete files or whatever? what does having so many devices do? I've never used firewire before.

I tested watching an hdtv show over ethernet yesterday and it uses up between 30-75% of my cpu. I tried two different cards and I think my network cards are fairly good.
post #389 of 2773 Old 07-19-2005, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

If you really want to watch HDTV live, I suggest you find a way to do it with your set-top box, regardless of whether you have an R5000. (perhaps using a Y Pr Pb to RGB transcoder with your monitor) The R5000 is pretty expensive, exotic, and specialized, and not intended for the relatively simple task of just watching HDTV.
post #390 of 2773 Old 07-19-2005, 12:36 PM

well, I wish to get it because I'd like to beable to record the TS to my computer, like with the myhd.
but I dont need to record everything I watch. I spend more time watching TV than recording so it is important that the relatively simple task of watching tv is actually simple. using a RGB transcoder kinda defeats the purpose of having HDTV in the first place. thats the whole reason I want to watch tv via the myhd, otherwise I could just use the preview feature of the r5000.

obviously, the best solution would be if the r5000 modified STB outputed the TS via the coax so it could be connected to the myhd since the myhd can record transport streams. Since this is not possible, I figure one of the above two approaches comes closest to that.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page