Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2773 Old 10-26-2005, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherieK View Post

Help! We have been unable to get an R5000-HD to work _AT ALL_ in our HTPC system since we received the unit over a month ago. We have exchanged email back and forth between us and customer support at Nextcom many times. Basically, they have been unable or unwilling to specify a combination of USB controller and drivers that is known to work.

Is there any successful user of the R5000-HD that can specify the manufacturer and model number of a known-good USB controller and the exact names and revision numbers of all the associated drivers?

Is there any successful user who is using the R5000-HD with an Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard and an Athlon 64 3800 running Windows 2000? Better yet, is there anyone who has been able to use the motherboard USB controller as well?

We have tried three different USB controllers and followed all of the suggestions from Nextcom customer support without success.

The embedded USB controller on the Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard will only receive 6 or 7 seconds before the HDVR program reports an error and restarts the recording. Moreover, the files that are produced are garbage when played.

We disabled the embedded controller and installed a Belkin F5U220 PCI USB controller, which uses an NEC chip. Just to make sure, we were able to change the channel on the satellite receiver using the HDVR program. However, as soon as we pressed the record button, we got the Windows "blue screen of death". The error message was "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in ousbehci.sys". This was with the latest drivers for the Belkin board downloaded from their website.

We next purchased and installed a Compaq UC-160 (Rev 1.2) USB controller card. This card also uses an NEC chip as per the recommendation of customer support. We got the same "blue screen of death" results as with the Belkin controller.

The following is a list of things that we have already checked:
-We are only recording HD content.
-Our HTPC machine has 2 Gigabytes of RAM.
-There are no USB hubs or external USB drives connected to the USB controller.
-The R5000-HD is set for Dish Network, which is the proper service.
-The bitrate is set to "Constant 19.392Mb/s".
-The USB controllers are 2.0.
-We replaced the supplied USB cable with a "2.0" one.
-We have used the PCI slot closest to the AGP slot.
-We have downloaded and tried the latest drivers from both the manufacturers and Microsoft.
-We are using the latest 1.5a drivers from Nextcom.

I owned that motherboard. It gave me fits until I found some RAM that it agreed with.... it would work fine and seem to be stable for a week, then I'd start getting weird errors. It took a few reformats before I figured it out.

The RAM I ended up using was *cheaper* and had a lower CAS rating than the RAM I had been using. The motherboard offered me absolutely no room for overclocking as the memory was so sensitive... I like to play with my hardware and the A8V is one of the most boring motherboards I've ever owned. It's been rock solid since I changed my RAM, but there is no room for deviation.

Save yourself some time and *please* make sure your RAM is compatible. Don't make the mistake that I did and assume that since you have high-end expensive/fast memory that it isn't a problem. At the very least, given your error messages, Google the program Prime95 or some other memory tester and test your memory for 6+ hours.

Good luck!!

---------------- EDIT --------------------
I thought I was on the last page of this thread when I replied... oops!! The original post was old. Not gonna search to see whether or not it was resolved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2773 Old 11-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdish View Post

David,
If I were you I would definitely contact the R5000 people, they have always been very helpful. The files from the HD Dish recordings should be just like the ones from the DTC100. Do you ever hear any sound from the Dish recordings? Do you get any indication of failed transfers during a recording? If you have access to TSreader, what does it give for the data rate for the sound PID? It almost sounds like a hardware problem in the R5000 modification. John

I received the 6000 back from R5000 a few days ago, all fixed, they said an unusual/unexplained hardware problem. They replaced the board, all seems okay now. Thanks John!
post #453 of 2773 Old 11-05-2005, 09:55 PM

I have three toshiba 3000 boxes. One modified by 169, one modified by nextcom and the other is not modified. I do not use the 169 box to record, but the signal strength of the box modified by nextcom has a week 110 signal which is the one I use to record, since it has showtime and hbo. I have switched the boxes from one location to another and the signal strength follows the box. I tightened the connections outside and inside but the help was minimal. I am open to any suggestions. I live 60 miles from West Palm beach and do not have any ability for OTA. Direct tv said that we are down the list in terms of access to local HDTV. I have the impression that the mpeg 2 will be available in this area for a while.
post #454 of 2773 Old 11-06-2005, 09:46 AM

I went outside to check my signal problem and found that by covering my 119 lnb with tape I was able to increase my signal strength of the 110 signal which is the HD programing. D* said that my "signal combiner" may be a problem. This is a solution if I lived alone. But my one box is still lower than the others. Does anyone know how to refurbish the box, since it is the one with the nextcom mod.
post #455 of 2773 Old 11-06-2005, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flabingo View Post

I went outside to check my signal problem and found that by covering my 119 lnb with tape I was able to increase my signal strength of the 110 signal which is the HD programing. D* said that my "signal combiner" may be a problem. This is a solution if I lived alone. But my one box is still lower than the others. Does anyone know how to refurbish the box, since it is the one with the nextcom mod.

It's interesting you mentioned covering the 119 lnb, because just the other day I was trying to tweak my 110 signal, and in the process I inadvertently covered the 119 lnb and noticed the signal increase. That lead me to think my internal switch was bad, so I went out and bought a new one. Result was that there was no signal improvement on 110.

I've since been in contact with the folks at Nextcom and they've confirmed that there have been known tuner problems with the Hughes receivers. I believe Toshiba and Mitsubishi are also Hughes receivers. They also told me that they've seen that on these receivers that the 110 signal is lower than on other brand receivers (I'm guessing as compared with the DTC100) but that solid signal lock was still attainable. However the E86s have been known to develop tuner problems, nevertheless.

Bottom line - I'm getting a new STB and having my board transferred to the new STB.

Ron
post #456 of 2773 Old 11-06-2005, 11:31 AM

Ron
Thanks for your response. It was very helpful and I appreciate it. I bought three toshiba boxes and one is very good, one is OK and this one is weak.. But unfortunately the one with the nextcom unit is the weak one. Would it be possible to have a local company switch the unit from the weak box to the good box that has the 169 device, that I do not use? Do you think that there is any merit to the D* idea that the "signal combiner" is a problem? I have been recording all the Curb your Enthusiam programs and I can get through this week and probably do what you suggested, get another box. I play back in MyHD without any problem, but I recently tried the Divx compression and the playback was fine except the audio did not match the video. But the space savings was significant. An hour of HD was only 750 MBs Thanks again David
post #457 of 2773 Old 11-06-2005, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flabingo View Post

Ron
Thanks for your response. It was very helpful and I appreciate it. I bought three toshiba boxes and one is very good, one is OK and this one is weak.. But unfortunately the one with the nextcom unit is the weak one. Would it be possible to have a local company switch the unit from the weak box to the good box that has the 169 device, that I do not use? Do you think that there is any merit to the D* idea that the "signal combiner" is a problem? I have been recording all the Curb your Enthusiam programs and I can get through this week and probably do what you suggested, get another box. I play back in MyHD without any problem, but I recently tried the Divx compression and the playback was fine except the audio did not match the video. But the space savings was significant. An hour of HD was only 750 MBs Thanks again David

David:
Glad my response shed some light on your problems. I know of no local company capable of moving the R5000 card from one receiver to another, nor would I recommend it. What I would recommend is that you contact the Nextcom folks and they do the switch for you. In fact, if you look in their FAQs, they say that they can and will move the card from a defective STB to a replacement one. In fact my defective STB will be shipped to them tomorrow and I'll be purchasing my replacement one from them as well.

As for the D* theory of the signal combiner, I believe I proved it's not the problem by replacing it with a brand new one and still having terrible signal readings on my E86 STB while my HD Tivo continued with excellent readings. Nextcom did say that the Hughes STBs generally have low readings on 110, however they should be strong enough to hold the signal for recording purposes. However a defective tuner is another problem.

Incidentally, I've encoded all my transport files to XVID using Auto Gordian Knot, and I'm getting about 3:1 compression after stripping null packets with HDTVtoMPEG2, and it's difficult to see any picture quality difference between the original transport streams and the encoded version and I have perfect sync of the 5.1 audio.

Ron
post #458 of 2773 Old 11-06-2005, 05:43 PM

Ron,
Nextcom confirmed what you said and also announced that they are going to offer a 169 trade-in program in the very near future. I want to hear what that will be. I purchased an avelinksplayer 2 and hope to have it operating in the next two weeks. I am not sure why I have the sync problem at this time. I normally only record HD programs on the nextcom unit HBO never looked better now that my signal is in the 90s. I am trying to determine what I am giving up by not having the 119 satellite. I moved from the woods on Pennsylvania and have carried my east coast feed on the HD network channels wthout needing a local waiver. I see that I have lost both NBC, ABC and FOX. Until two months ago I also had the west coast HD feeds. I was in Hog heaven during college football season.
Would it be possible to purchase a unit for the west coast feed and move it to Florida? The more time I spend on this hobby I realize the wisdom of the expression.- "The pendulum swings to stupid" David
post #459 of 2773 Old 11-06-2005, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

David.:

Glad you were able to confirm from Nextcom about the Hughes tuner issue.

So you saying that you covered up the 119 lnb in order to boost the 110 signal? I don't know offhand what HD is on 119. I thought some of the networks are there, but really not sure. My STB is packed up, so I can't check.

I also use the Linkplayer2 as my soul playback device for transport streams and encodings. Works great off my server where everything is stored. They still need to make some improvements for FF and REW, but they are on the right track.

So are you going to do anything in the near term about getting your R5000 board into a better working STB? Or are you just going to get by with the 119 LNB covered up. It seems odd that it would improve the 110 signal by covering the 119 lnb. Must be in the design of the internal multiswitch, as my replacement of the dish and lnb the other day improved nothing.

Good luck.

Ron
post #460 of 2773 Old 11-06-2005, 07:15 PM

Ron, I am watching the game on 73-ESPN and the picture is much better than normal. I checked the reception at 98. I was thinking of getting another dish and have a switch. My problem is that all my receivers are Hughes. But when my wife returns I can have her confirm that the picture is better. I am probably not objective. Today I used my cell phone at the TV and kept moving the dish outside until I covered up 119 by accident. The change was unbelievable. I had the sound at full level and it went to 97 from 54. I gave my linkplayer to my computer friend this weekend for his insight. He was the one who has been following the technology waiting for the HD capability. He does what you are doing with his DVDs. I want to give my daughter a player with a hard drive filled with DVD's and some HD programs for Christmas. But I bought them a HD receiver that they never used and am concerned that it may end up being not used. I appreciate your help. David
post #461 of 2773 Old 11-06-2005, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

You shouldn't need any help evaluating the reception quality. Reception problems for digital signals are very easy to spot: broken picture, frozen frames, audio dropouts. If you are seeing more subtle picture quality problems, they probably have nothing to do with your reception.
post #462 of 2773 Old 11-06-2005, 07:58 PM

Ron, I am sure that the picture quality and sound on the digital channels are better. I have not figured out how to modify the dish setup to take advantage of "our discovery" David
post #463 of 2773 Old 11-07-2005, 11:59 AM

Today I tweaked the metal tape on the 119 lnb and was able to obtain good numbers for all sats on all three units. The lowest being 70. I can increase the number if I spent more time, but I proved to myself that I don't need a new box. Now I recorded a HBO program last night and the file size was 5.6 GB. I converted this file to a divx file and played it and it was fine in terms of sync etc. The file I played back on the MYHD was the 5.6 but the file size in divx was only 499 MBs. It seems that I can transfer my ts files to divx and store it with much less space. I am surprised but I don't know enough to understand if I am right. David
post #464 of 2773 Old 11-07-2005, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Owners of a 169time modified receiver can now upgrade to the Nextcom R5000-HD for the low price of only $375.00! Upgrade your HD recording system now to get:
  • Full PVR functionality
  • SD recording capability on all services
  • Ease of setup and use
  • Highest quality Disk or Tape based captures
  • Improved disk to D-VHS transfers

Terms and Conditions: Any 169time hardware becomes the property of Nextcom, LLC and will not be returned. This applies only to hardware actually installed in the STB receiver and not to any other system components (e.g. AVX-1 PC, etc). To be eligible, the receiver must be a model that Nextcom currently offers the R5000-HD modification for (model list), and it must have the 169time modification installed in it. This offer subject to termination without notice.
post #465 of 2773 Old 11-07-2005, 10:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

you 169time guys should jump all over this in a second, the difference between these 2 systems is no laughing matter

totally glitch filled streams with zero support

VS

perfect captures(exactly what the provider sends) and support one from of the best bunch of guys that has ever exsisted

-Gary
post #466 of 2773 Old 11-11-2005, 02:22 PM

I am having troule with the MCE solution that Timmoore created. I love the idea of controlling the R5000HD with MCE. I am able to get the ts file recording via the mytray app but then mytray crashes when the show stops recording. Can you prevent the show from being converted or is there a way to have the show convert successfully and I am missing the boat? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
post #467 of 2773 Old 11-13-2005, 06:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by R5000-HD View Post

Owners of a 169time modified receiver can now upgrade to the Nextcom R5000-HD for the low price of only $375.00! Upgrade your HD recording system now to get:
  • Full PVR functionality
  • SD recording capability on all services
  • Ease of setup and use
  • Highest quality Disk or Tape based captures
  • Improved disk to D-VHS transfers

Terms and Conditions: Any 169time hardware becomes the property of Nextcom, LLC and will not be returned. This applies only to hardware actually installed in the STB receiver and not to any other system components (e.g. AVX-1 PC, etc). To be eligible, the receiver must be a model that Nextcom currently offers the R5000-HD modification for (model list), and it must have the 169time modification installed in it. This offer subject to termination without notice.

So it is cheaper to send a unit that already has a 169time modification for the R500-HD modification than to send a compatable unit without the 169time modification?
post #468 of 2773 Old 11-13-2005, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonsoohoo View Post

So it is cheaper to send a unit that already has a 169time modification for the R500-HD modification than to send a compatable unit without the 169time modification?

Per Nextcom's website, it's $650 if you send them your STB or $375 if you upgrade your 169time modded STB.

Ron
post #469 of 2773 Old 11-22-2005, 09:35 AM

Hi there,

I haven't made much posts since I got my BELL 6000 modded to R5000-HD. Had an Intel 2.4C w/ATI Radeon 9800XT and was very happy. I've done numerous recordings with no problem at all.

Well, just yesterday, I upgraded to an AMD Opteron 165 dual core CPU, which just flies in comparison to my Intel, however I am encountering recording problems in the way of glitches and a jittery recorded picture. Funny thing is that there are "no failed transfers" showing.

David from Nextcom: if you come across this post, could you advise me as to what to try. Is the R5000-HD totally compatible with the new AMD dual core cpu's?

I've tried all the different Software/Driver versions from 1.7 to 2.2 and I still get the same resulting recordings.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
post #470 of 2773 Old 11-22-2005, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
How do you paly back the files. Can you move a new recording to the old computer and verify that the glitches and jitter are actually in the file? If so you might try a different USB card. Is the one from the old computer removable? John
post #471 of 2773 Old 11-22-2005, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f13dfx View Post

Hi there,

I haven't made much posts since I got my BELL 6000 modded to R5000-HD. Had an Intel 2.4C w/ATI Radeon 9800XT and was very happy. I've done numerous recordings with no problem at all.

Well, just yesterday, I upgraded to an AMD Opteron 165 dual core CPU, which just flies in comparison to my Intel, however I am encountering recording problems in the way of glitches and a jittery recorded picture. Funny thing is that there are "no failed transfers" showing.

David from Nextcom: if you come across this post, could you advise me as to what to try. Is the R5000-HD totally compatible with the new AMD dual core cpu's?

I've tried all the different Software/Driver versions from 1.7 to 2.2 and I still get the same resulting recordings.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

What does your remuxer log show?
post #472 of 2773 Old 11-22-2005, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yep we need to see remuxer logs

-Gary
post #473 of 2773 Old 11-23-2005, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Version 2.2d DVR now available. download
  • Support for most Motorola Set Top Boxes: DTC2000 series Digital Cable, StarChoice DSR series, 4DTV (905, 920, 922) receivers. A newly developed hardware modification is required for these boxes. Full PVR capability is supported along with both HD and SD capture.

• SD capture now supported via the HDD-200 decoder. For hardware modifications done after 8/15/2005.

• External MPEG2 decoder. D-VHS deck can be configured as an external decoder for high-quality playback using the Disk2Tape utility or the R5000's built-in media Player. Real-time preview can also be sent to external decoder.

• STB Power down option. STB can be programmed to power-down after a PVR initiated recording. This is useful for receivers that require powering down to start their software upgrade routines.

About Cable mods: Only Motorola Digital cable is supported and only non-5C (no Firewire port) boxes will be modified. Most all DTC2000 series STBs and certain early model HD boxes without the Firewire port installed qualify. The DTC2000 series SD boxes are designed to deliver HD to an external decoder (HDD-200). The modification is performed on the cable box itself and the high-speed port does not have to be activated. To record a high-def channel, it only has to be authorized on the box. Even though suscribed to, certain HD tier channels may not be authorized on an SD box unless it is specificaly authorized to be used with the external decoder. Check with your cable provider to see if it possible to have these "HD only" channels authorized.

Leased Boxes: Just about all cable boxes are leased by the customer through their cable provider. You may or may not be able to convince them to activate customer owned equipment (recent laws may change this). When installed in a DTC2000, the R5000-HD modification is performed in a manner which allows it to be removed without a trace (no holes made in the chassis). There is no extra fee for removing the modification before turning in a leased box, and it is highly recommended you do so.

StarChoice and 4DTV (905, 920, 922) receivers can now be modified directly (do not require the use of the HDD-200 external decoder). 5C-enabled boxes (Firewire port) will not be accepted.

Version 2.1c PVR:
  • Can now edit old events or events in progress to create a new event. Opportunity to fix a conflicting event rather than completely re-entering it.

• Fixes a unique conflict resolution problem for weekly events (overlapping time, different days).

• Enables sub-channel for Dish OTA (to match their recent software update). Sub-channel and satellite selection boxes enabled to properly match requirements of new services.

• Recovery file added. Working changes saved to a safety file, "temp.pvr". The "default.pvr" file is updated upon exit. Events can usually be recovered from the "temp.pvr" file in the event of a system crash, etc.

Introductory Price Special: Motorola STBs receive an additional $100 off the current pricing! See sales page for details.

Status: Release versions. There are no betas at this time. Upgrading is recommended for all users.

-R
post #474 of 2773 Old 11-24-2005, 11:09 AM

Hey guys,

May be slightly off topics but I could not resist.
I converted many .ts files into mpeg2.
My son stood out in the cold and got his xbox360, he came home from school and we satrted messing around with it.
I got my MCE2005 hook up to his xbox360, amazing , it played the mpeg2 , streaming from my MCE 2005 w/o any hiccup, now I just wish that the xbox360 would just play straight ,ts files.
post #475 of 2773 Old 11-24-2005, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

would the compatible cable boxes include the DCT5000 series boxes? they appear to have USB ports but not firewire.
post #476 of 2773 Old 11-24-2005, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd View Post

would the compatible cable boxes include the DCT5000 series boxes? they appear to have USB ports but not firewire.

The 1394 port is supposedly optional in the DCT5000 series. If the particular model does not have the port installed then it would be eligible for modification.

-R
post #477 of 2773 Old 11-24-2005, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

yeah motorola's documentation shows an empty hole in the back panel. in that case it would be ok?

or does mention of firewire on the back panel suggest that the port is there but not active, and automatically disqualify a box?
post #478 of 2773 Old 11-24-2005, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

What does your remuxer log show?

Thanks for the reply. I ended up returning the motherboard and getting a DFI LanParty nF4 Ultra-D motherboard. It is awesome and the glitches and jitters are gone

Do NOT buy an ASRock motherboard!
post #479 of 2773 Old 11-25-2005, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

ASrock, chaintech, jetway, ECS, they're all off the same assembly line, and all associated with PCChips, who have quite a reputation for bad quality motherboards .
post #480 of 2773 Old 11-27-2005, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

For those of you who are interested in PQ comparisons between identical MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 material, a few sample streams, as captured by the R5000-HD, are available here (see "MPEG-4 Comparison").

The captures are from E* and only SD is available at this point but we've made available a sample MPEG-4 stream along with some MPEG-2 streams of identical material for comparison purposes. The MPEG-4 stream rate is 1.9Mb/s and the MPEG-2 material clocks in at 2.5Mb/s. Both were captured using the R5000-HD at different times and the MPEG-4 stream is an actual capture, NOT transcoded MPEG-2 material. Our first impression is that MPEG-4 does noticably worse with motion. Take a look at the woman's soccer promo or the fight promo especially (you'll have to play each MPEG-2 stream to duplicate the material shown in the MPEG-4 clip).

To play the MPEG-4 clip you'll need the Elecard MPEG Player. Make sure to dowload both the Player and the "AVC Plugin". You can buy or just test drive them.

-R
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page