Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2773 Old 12-24-2005, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mark you can get signal strength much much higher than that out in CA

I get 120 on 61.5, you should be able to do the same on 148, as it is for your location

Hey I got "Manchurian Candidate" from 148 last night with a perfect log , it does happen

-Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2773 Old 12-24-2005, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

dbfresh, you cannot do that with the r5000 mod, it must use their app

their recent version did add a render to D-VHS deck option

-Gary
post #543 of 2773 Old 12-24-2005, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

You can render a transport stream file independently of the R5000 app.
post #544 of 2773 Old 12-24-2005, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balazer View Post

You can render a transport stream file independently of the R5000 app.

REALLY! This would make my day! How would you go about doing this? I know Digital Cable STBs can use the firewire output and render them using GraphEdit...

Or am I misunderstanding you and just talking about playback in other apps?
post #545 of 2773 Old 12-24-2005, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

of course you can do that, but you can't render a .TS live from the r5000-hd, like with 169time using graph edit

do not waste your time with 169time's garbage, that stuff belongs in a garbage heap(software and hardware), the nextcom stuff belongs on a throne

-Gary
post #546 of 2773 Old 12-24-2005, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Speaking of 169time garbage, anyone want to take bets on how thin i can make my 169time board using the 10ton arbor press at work?
post #547 of 2773 Old 12-24-2005, 11:49 AM
AlR

Sorry to hear that 169time is a piece of garbage. I have over 500 perfect recordings made with it. Any problems were due to recording on used tapes or being in the airport flight path.
post #548 of 2773 Old 12-24-2005, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfresh23 View Post

Has anyone here tried to render a TS file using graphedit without using the R5000 software? I'm still debating between this and the 169Time system. I already know the 169Time will do what I want it to, but reading this forum I understand that their system is less then perfect and I'm not clear if it captures SD like the R5000 can. I also like the possibility of using Tim's firewire channel change abilities to control it.

Basically I'd like to use it with SageTV using their network encoder / graphedit plugin. Doing this would let it show up as a tuner in SageTV, but that would be useless if I cannot do it without the R5000 app. It doesn't seem like R5000 plans on designing a DirectShow driver which is silly based on the fast growing popularity of PVR apps like MCE, SageTV and BTV - so this would be my only option.

You can't bring up the R5000 in graphedit or have SageTV "see it" as a DS tuner device. Personally I think the Nextcom web-based PVR is really easy to use especially with the addition of TitanTV support and remote scheduling. But I guess if you're used to Sage or MCE then naturally you want to use them.

I don't know what sat service you have but 169time cannot capture SD from D* or C-band at all and with E* it can only capture certain channels that have AC3 audio. The R5000 captures all SD channels from each service they support. Also, I've heard they're working on audio capture from the Sirius and XM channels and may add that capability soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlR View Post

Sorry to hear that 169time is a piece of garbage. I have over 500 perfect recordings made with it. Any problems were due to recording on used tapes or being in the airport flight path.

I guess its just that for whatever reason it seems difficult for a lot of 169time users to duplicate those results whereas with the R5000 the results are a lot more consistent. Also the R5000 folks seem much more responsive to resolving any problems that arise and adding new features to their product.

TW
post #549 of 2773 Old 12-24-2005, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurstonw View Post

You can't bring up the R5000 in graphedit or have SageTV "see it" as a DS tuner device. Personally I think the Nextcom web-based PVR is really easy to use especially with the addition of TitanTV support and remote scheduling. But I guess if you're used to Sage or MCE then naturally you want to use them.

That pretty much clears up what I was confused about. The point of using SageTV or MCE is that it can be done via remote control from the TV set, not sitting in front of a PC like you would need to do to use the R5000 app.

Sure the TitanTV app may be a nice little PC / Web application, but it doesn't do anything for people like myself that are more interested in a home theater pc.
post #550 of 2773 Old 12-24-2005, 02:36 PM

Quote:

That pretty much clears up what I was confused about. The point of using SageTV or MCE is that it can be done via remote control from the TV set, not sitting in front of a PC like you would need to do to use the R5000 app.

Sure the TitanTV app may be a nice little PC / Web application, but it doesn't do anything for people like myself that are more interested in a home theater pc.

You can program the R5000 to record using the STB remote control. Enable "IR Control" from the R5000 main panel and set the STB to match the VCR code. Then from the guide, you just navigate to the program(s) you want to record and press the "record" button on your remote control (I'm using the Dish 6000). A record timer is set and when it fires the R5000 starts recording. Its pretty simple. I don't know about C-band but all the "small dish" boxes support VCR timers.

TW
post #551 of 2773 Old 12-24-2005, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlR View Post

Sorry, you are just lucky, the 169time hardware and software is trash, read around, this is not just my opinion

-Gary
post #552 of 2773 Old 12-24-2005, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

Sorry, you are just lucky, the 169time hardware and software is trash, read around, this is not just my opinion

-Gary

Very true.. In fact, the 169time system doesnt even produce a proper transport stream does it? Last I knew, it had fundamental flaws that didnt meet the standard for mpeg-2. When it was the only game in town, we had to deal with its issues and quirks. Now we dont!
post #553 of 2773 Old 12-26-2005, 02:32 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Could someone tell me what sort of resolution/bit rates you are seeing in your files recorded with their R5000? I recall someone in the Dallas area had a webpage logging the current resolution/bit rates for the different providers and networks but not sure if that still exists.

Rick
post #554 of 2773 Old 12-26-2005, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post

Could someone tell me what sort of resolution/bit rates you are seeing in your files recorded with their R5000? I recall someone in the Dallas area had a webpage logging the current resolution/bit rates for the different providers and networks but not sure if that still exists.

Its all over the place. Might be easier to scan the various bitrate threads in the HD Programming forum.
post #555 of 2773 Old 12-26-2005, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

For Dish in my signature first of all

Cheezmo for Directv:

http://www.widemovies.com/dfwbitrate.html

-Gary
post #556 of 2773 Old 12-26-2005, 04:21 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
thanks Gary, I'd say you had just what I was looking for

Rick
post #557 of 2773 Old 12-26-2005, 11:10 PM

12/26 airing of The Perfect Score on ShowtimeHD on E*

110 - 7,091,915 KB Below 10Mbps
148 - 9,251,192 KB Over 12.5Mbps

No errors either - a rarity.

That's one of the most extreme differences I think I've ever seen between the 2 - slightly over 30% higher bitrate.

Although the Garbage Pail Kids Movie came in at a mind boggling 14.62Mbps video bitrate off 148 last week which blows away even HDNET's bitrate once you subtract the 20% loss from no telecine flags and the redundancy.

Too bad it wasn't a better movie.
post #558 of 2773 Old 12-27-2005, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

thats the mystery that all HDTV cappers know of and hate

garbage movies and stuff you are not interested in always capture perfect

stuff you really want like "Absolute Power" from Showtime are hosed on all 10 try's and never come on again

-Gary
post #559 of 2773 Old 12-27-2005, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

thats the mystery that all HDTV cappers know of and hate

garbage movies and stuff you are not interested in always capture perfect

stuff you really want like "Absolute Power" from Showtime are hosed on all 10 try's and never come on again

-Gary

Of course.

And then they give you School of Rock the other day at 15.23Mbps on the Video.
post #560 of 2773 Old 12-29-2005, 03:43 PM

I have had the 5000HD solution for a year now and abolutely love the end result of the captures the 5000hd produces. I am however very disappointed with the support for Media centers like Microsoft Media center and so on. I abolutlely hate the sony site as it is slow and not always reliable. I live in Canada so TitanTV is out of the question. I am presently using a bastardized Timmmoore solution that records the HD file with 5000hd by programing using Microsoft MCE. When it works it is great but it trys to convert to a msdvr file and I just want to have the ts file. Also when 2 shows are back to back it does not always change channels properly. Crashes lots. again not so reliable. Tim has also disappeared and stopped supporting this so I am lost. I am frustrated with all this.
post #561 of 2773 Old 12-29-2005, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVee View Post

I have had the 5000HD solution for a year now and abolutely love the end result of the captures the 5000hd produces. I am however very disappointed with the support for Media centers like Microsoft Media center and so on. I abolutlely hate the sony site as it is slow and not always reliable. I live in Canada so TitanTV is out of the question. I am presently using a bastardized Timmmoore solution that records the HD file with 5000hd by programing using Microsoft MCE. When it works it is great but it trys to convert to a msdvr file and I just want to have the ts file. Also when 2 shows are back to back it does not always change channels properly. Crashes lots. again not so reliable. Tim has also disappeared and stopped supporting this so I am lost. I am frustrated with all this.

How can you get mad using a "bastardized" app that crashes and Nextcomm did author it nor ever said it would work

The system is what it is. MCE has its own issues and most are glad it is not forced to be in that enviroment with all the microsoft restrictions that go along with it.

Unfrustate yourself by using it as it was written and just don't use the Sony site between 7pm and 1am Eastern Time.
post #562 of 2773 Old 12-30-2005, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

How can you get mad using a "bastardized" app that crashes and Nextcomm did author it nor ever said it would work

The system is what it is. MCE has its own issues and most are glad it is not forced to be in that enviroment with all the microsoft restrictions that go along with it.

Unfrustate yourself by using it as it was written and just don't use the Sony site between 7pm and 1am Eastern Time.

I must agree with our friend from the North (did you have a nice Boxing Day?).

Living in the States, at least I am able to take advantage of the TitanTV, which is a far superior alternative. That SonyEPG thing was cr*p. Even at its fastest, it was ridiculously slow. TitanTV is as fast as a downloaded EPG. I congratulate Nextcom for incorporating it.

Having said that, I wish that there was a way to integrate the R5000 with programs like MCE. I use SageTV. I would love not only to integrate the HD recording abilities of the R5000, but also use it to record SD stuff. Right now, I use the same modded box to record to Sage through an S-video connection. I would much prefer the digital connection. Further, I always have to be worried about scheduling conflicting shows.

At the time I had my DTC100 modded, Nextcom had plans to integrate the R5000 with SageTV, etc, through a DirectX plug-in. For technical reasons I would not pretend to understand, they changed their minds. As a customer, I respect their decision and have no hard feelings about this change in plans. But it does not change my desire for the ability to integrate with SageTV, should it ever become available.
post #563 of 2773 Old 12-30-2005, 01:12 PM

Quote:

I would agree with you mostly but this is a 1000 dollar mod that should be evolving to support the people that use it. I am not mad just frustrated with the sony site. There has to be a better way. There is no arguement with the hardware but the software needs to expand to include the pvr style media centers out there I am sure if polled this community would completely agree.

I personally know at least 5 people that love my setup with nextcom but do not want to be bothered with the whole multi program pvr that is needed to record. A simple solution taking advantage of a downloaded guide can not be that difficult and if it is please enlighten me.

If there is anyone out there using the Timmmoore solution and has made it work sucessfully please let me know as I need a bit of help.

Thanks all and happy new year.
post #564 of 2773 Old 12-30-2005, 02:14 PM

The problem is this is a speciality item and not a mass market consumer item so quite frankly - especially when you view the 169time saga - I am actually surprised at the amount of upgrades he has put into this item. If you view my posts from over a year ago the improvements that he has made have really impressed me and all others that have watched this item evolve.

Unfortunately, speciality items because of their limited appeal will never work with all the various systems out there. The time and effort to do so is just not worth it from a time or monetary standpoint.

Now if everyone who purchased this item wanted a MCE interface and were willing to pay $300 each for the software, it might be worth it. But how many would really step up to that plate?

My 2 cents worth.
post #565 of 2773 Old 12-30-2005, 11:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey Showtime's logs are looking different on 148 , they are full of the VPESBHNDBY, which is not a error

I have also got 3 perfect captures in the past day, one of "Monster" and "Super Size Me" I have tried for those so many times to get a perfect grab of those

-Gary
post #566 of 2773 Old 12-31-2005, 07:02 AM

Quote:

Now if everyone who purchased this item wanted a MCE interface and were willing to pay $300 each for the software, it might be worth it. But how many would really step up to that plate?

It wouldn't really have to mean a price increase for the software/DRIVER. A directshow driver would mean that it could be used with basically all of the windows pvr apps, not just MCE. This would equate to more people interested in it and more sales. Instead I am contemplating going back to digital cable later this year to get cablecard instead. If a Directshow driver was available I'd buy 3-4 of these without a second thought.
post #567 of 2773 Old 12-31-2005, 10:25 AM

Quote:

Instead I am contemplating going back to digital cable later this year to get cablecard instead.

You have 10 hours or so.
post #568 of 2773 Old 01-05-2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:

You have 10 hours or so.

Took a little longer then those 10 hours, but good ole Bill Gates made my decision for me today with the announcement of the MS/DTV partnership...
post #569 of 2773 Old 01-05-2006, 08:09 PM

So you will go back to cable because Gates got involved with D*, but you're mad at R5000HD because they WON't get involved with Gates via a Microsoft Directshow driver or interface with Gates' Windows MCE?

Interesting logic.
post #570 of 2773 Old 01-05-2006, 08:38 PM

Quote:

So you will go back to cable because Gates got involved with D*, but you're mad at R5000HD because they WON't get involved with Gates via a Microsoft Directshow driver or interface with Gates' Windows MCE?

Interesting logic.

NO NO NO, You misunderstood me. Since DirecTV is going to start making receivers that can work with MCE w/o needing any special modification I'll get to stick with DirecTV and just get a few of those when they come out. The one thing I would certainly lose out on would be the non copy protected stream that the R5000 would produce. I'm actually quite happy that Gates made that announcement, I quite hate Time Warner. At the very least this will leave me with more options.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page