Old 02-03-2006, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby Baker View Post

I've got my 411 ready to ship to Nextcom right now! Cant wait to get the mod done!

Me three

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2006, 08:39 AM

Could the mod be moved from a 6000 to the 411? Or did the design require modifications?
Old 02-03-2006, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kotches View Post

What about the 211, which is about the same box, but with an ethernet port?

Cheers,

I'd like to know this, too. This is exciting news, since, if it works, it prolongs the time frame for us to record. I've been stressing about the time when my modded Dish 6000 would go silent. (John, this is Joe Clark in St. Louis. Are you an R5000 user, too?)

Joe Clark

Old 02-03-2006, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMike View Post

It was the extension cable. I moved a PC in next to the receiver, and hooked it up with the USB cable Nextcom sent me and 0 failures. I've recorded several hours of programming without a hitch. Now I need to figure out what's going on with the software. It seems to be a little buggy. The PVR timers turn off my 922 when they fire, which makes the PVR unusable. If I'm recording something and change the channel ( to one on a different sat or transponder) on the 922, it causes the DVR to crash. So far, the only way I can get good recordings is to manually start them or to use the DVR timer. I e-mailed Nextcom yesterday, but haven't heard back yet.

The good news is the HD from the 922 is phenomenal. The SD is pretty darn good too, it's close in quality to the HD from some of the non-cband providers.

I have use the PVR with a 920 and a Starchoice receiver and have not seen the receiver turn off. The 920 needs to be on prior to a recording starting t since the PVR does not turn it on. I believe the crashing caused changing the channel while recording is the way the software works at this time. John
Old 02-03-2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdish View Post

I have use the PVR with a 920 and a Starchoice receiver and have not seen the receiver turn off. The 920 needs to be on prior to a recording starting t since the PVR does not turn it on. I believe the crashing caused changing the channel while recording is the way the software works at this time. John

John,

Did you have your receiver modded with the r5000, or are you using a modded HDD200? I can confirm that the software crashing when you change channels is the way the software works, but its not the way its supposed to work. I asked David about this specifically before purchasing.

Mike
Old 02-03-2006, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

My R5000 is in the HDD200, but I was under the impression that the R5000 got essentially the same signal from a 922. Unless the software has changed since I did my playing around with it, I think the software determines the part of the data to record only at the start of the recording, and that can change when the channel is changed. This causes the crash. If the PVR starts the recording even if it only has to change change channels the recording software starts over, so all is well and no crash. In any event check with David to get the best info on your two problems. John
Old 02-03-2006, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I'd like to know this, too. This is exciting news, since, if it works, it prolongs the time frame for us to record. I've been stressing about the time when my modded Dish 6000 would go silent. (John, this is Joe Clark in St. Louis. Are you an R5000 user, too?)

Not yet. But I'm considering this route over the 622 for the ability to have much more archiving space

Cheers,

Contributing Editor & Surround Music Reviewer Widescreen Review
Opinions are mine, not the publication I write for.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

My R5000 is in the HDD200, but I was under the impression that the R5000 got essentially the same signal from a 922. Unless the software has changed since I did my playing around with it, I think the software determines the part of the data to record only at the start of the recording, and that can change when the channel is changed. This causes the crash. If the PVR starts the recording even if it only has to change change channels the recording software starts over, so all is well and no crash. In any event check with David to get the best info on your two problems. John

John,
Can I assume that the mod controls your 922 with an ir blaster? Does the blaster work okay? It's an issue to me because I can disconnect/reconnect my HDD200 relatively painlessly compared to my 922.
Thanks. Wilson
Old 02-03-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:

It was the extension cable. I moved a PC in next to the receiver, and hooked it up with the USB cable Nextcom sent me and 0 failures. I've recorded several hours of programming without a hitch.

If you live in an area that has a Frys (I believe DC suburbs of Virginia do depending on how close you are) I found a 15 foot USB extender (its actually over 16ft but whatever) as a friend with a R5000HD needed to extend his cable.

I only tried this because it had the heavy silver braiding shown under a clear plastic and a good gauge cable between the ends - you could tell it was well made. It has a quasi big black connector to accept the male 6pin USB connector (maybe 1.5x the size of an old matchbox) where the R5000HD 6 Pin USB cable plugs into.

He uses it on a Directv R5000HD and as many know, the tranmission stream from Directv has virtually no errors compared to the occasional E* transmission errors - and over 3 months he still has not had a glitch - with over 20 ft of USB cabling.

I would be happy to give you a name of the extension cable if it had one on it and have long since thrown the packaging away, but it was on the shelves at Frys - just look for the heavy duty USB extension as opposed to the typical cheap connectors and find the one with the thick silver braid showing and a black box on the end.

Edit: Scratch that - Frys is apparently about to open outside of Washington and Miami but has not yet.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonsoohoo View Post

John,
Can I assume that the mod controls your 922 with an ir blaster? Does the blaster work okay? It's an issue to me because I can disconnect/reconnect my HDD200 relatively painlessly compared to my 922.
Thanks. Wilson

All of the mods control the receiver via an IR signal. This signal comes from the R5000 board so the answer to your question is yes. I mostly use the IR signal to control a Starchoice receiver. I also have a 920 receiver and have tested teh IR control with it and it worked OK. I don't use it on a day to day basis with the 920. John
Old 02-03-2006, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

USB cable limit about 16 feet. That limit is due to signal timings, not signal quality, so you can expect the connection reliability to degrade quickly as that limit is exceeded. If you need more than 16 feet, you can get an active extension cable, with a repeater on the end of it. You can put up to 5 active extension cables in series. If you use a passive extension cable, the 16-foot limit applies to the sum of the lengths of the extension cable and the cable plugged into it.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:15 PM

I agree the theoritical limits are 16 feet, but then again it is theoritically impossible for me to pick up 148W here as well - in fact Dish says I cannot pick up 129W either

Again, I am just reporting real life experiences as oppposed to theoritical with now thousand of hours of caps.

You results may vary.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

HDTVFanAtic,
What is your elevation angle to the 148 Sat.? John
Old 02-03-2006, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kotches View Post

Not yet. But I'm considering this route over the 622 for the ability to have much more archiving space

Cheers,

I've used the R5000 for a year and a half or so and it's one of my favorite tools. When all the details of the 411 are clear to me, I'll jump on that right away. These guys who do the R5000 mod are really responsive to user needs. I read all the horror stories of the 169Time device and I'm glad I waited. You're familiar with the MyHD, I assume. They make a tremendously flixible pair.

Joe Clark

Old 02-03-2006, 02:00 PM

Quote:

HDTVFanAtic,
What is your elevation angle to the 148 Sat.? John

12 degrees.

Dish says its impossible and the people that do the commercial satellite installs and maintain them for the gas stations and banks show in their software its theoretically impossible without a dish of several meters as I am pointed too close to the earth's surface and will pick up too much ground surface noise without a large dish of several meters.

However, they also will not install a Dish 1000 here as they say the footprint on 129 is out of range as well.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

If someone tells you you can't get 148, they are just using the wrong parameters in their model. You are not exceeding the theoretical possibility.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I tried a 30 inch dish aimed at the 148 Sat. It worked but only on certain cloudy days when there was no wind. Most days the signal would fade out about once every five min. I guess 1.8 degrees elevation is too low. John
Old 02-03-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

If you live in an area that has a Frys (I believe DC suburbs of Virginia do depending on how close you are) I found a 15 foot USB extender (its actually over 16ft but whatever) as a friend with a R5000HD needed to extend his cable.

I only tried this because it had the heavy silver braiding shown under a clear plastic and a good gauge cable between the ends - you could tell it was well made. It has a quasi big black connector to accept the male 6pin USB connector (maybe 1.5x the size of an old matchbox) where the R5000HD 6 Pin USB cable plugs into.

He uses it on a Directv R5000HD and as many know, the tranmission stream from Directv has virtually no errors compared to the occasional E* transmission errors - and over 3 months he still has not had a glitch - with over 20 ft of USB cabling.

I would be happy to give you a name of the extension cable if it had one on it and have long since thrown the packaging away, but it was on the shelves at Frys - just look for the heavy duty USB extension as opposed to the typical cheap connectors and find the one with the thick silver braid showing and a black box on the end.

Edit: Scratch that - Frys is apparently about to open outside of Washington and Miami but has not yet.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I may already have the same cable. I got it from the Frys outpost website. It's got the silver braid with the black box on the end. The cable works for a period of time, but it generates errors and after a while it gets too many errors and hoses everything up. Have to reboot the PC to get it to work again. Might be something different between the way the Directv mod works vs. the 922 mod. Anyway I've got it working now. I've got the receiver and the PC in a utility room where all of the house wiring is home run wired to.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonsoohoo View Post

John,
Thanks. Wilson

If I understand your question correctly, the HDD200 mod uses an external cable that sends the IR signal to the 9XX receiver in the same way the 4dtv remote does. If you have a 9XX receiver modded, the signal is sent through the USB cable going to the PC.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balazer View Post

If someone tells you you can't get 148, they are just using the wrong parameters in their model. You are not exceeding the theoretical possibility.

Again, according to Dish and other software, you are for dish of less than 1 meter. As stated, if you want a larger dish, its possible, again, theoritically.

Bottom line

1) a 22 foot usb connection works if you get a good quality extension and has worked with a R5000HD for months without a failure.

2) I get 148 and 129 regardless of what Dish and others say is possible.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Well obviously there is some margin built into that 16-foot figure. Do you think it would work perfectly at 16 feet and not at all at 16.5 feet? You can expect it to work for a few feet beyond 16 feet. But pretty soon you will hit a limit, and it won't work no matter how thick the wires or how good the shielding. It would be irresponsible to suggest that you can hook up a 16-foot extension cable and expect it to work in all cases. The total length matters, for timing reasons. You cannot exceed the speed of light.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:10 PM

Quote:

Well obviously there is some margin built into that 16-foot figure. Do you think it would work perfectly at 16 feet and not at all at 16.5 feet? You can expect it to work for a few feet beyond 16 feet. But pretty soon you will hit a limit, and it won't work no matter how thick the wires or how good the shielding. It would be irresponsible to suggest that you can hook up a 16-foot extension cable and expect it to work in all cases. The total length matters, for timing reasons.

I did not state in all cases - in fact, I also stated that your results may vary.

Again, it has worked with ZERO glitches (other than rainfade) for over 3 months at a total length of over 22 feet with THOUSANDS of hours of caps through a rats nest of AC and other wiring.

I have seen 100x as many glitches with a Dish R5000HD setup with a OEM USB cable during the same period, so I can hardly say that it doesn't work.

I have never seen a failure that I can attribute to the 22 foot connection.

It was simply a suggestion he could try if he wanted - it sounds as if he has.

Sorry that you don't believe it.

Quote:

You cannot exceed the speed of light.

Captain Kirk and Scottie are going to be very upset! So much for Warp Drives.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Alright! You can take your chances using a passive cable beyond 16 feet, or spend a few more dollars on an active cable that's much more likely to work. I don't know how we end up in these stupid arguments.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:06 PM

Quote:

Alright! You can take your chances using a passive cable beyond 16 feet, or spend a few more dollars on an active cable that's much more likely to work. I don't know how we end up in these stupid arguments.

I know this is probably like throwing gasoline on a fire, but the cable I'm using and the one I think Fanatic is referring is an active cable.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

I assume that when you are using an active cable, it creates an additional USB device in the chain. When I first tried using my R5000, I inserted active hubs and/or switches in the chain, but they created additional devices that were detected by Windows. I was able to use the R5000 with these devices in the chain, but it made detection of the R5000 device more difficult. Now, I just use a single 10' USB cable and physically plug and unplug the cable to whichever PC I use for recording.

Steve
Old 02-03-2006, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

At least some (most?) active repeater cables are transparent. (i.e. they will not appear as a hub to the system)
Old 02-03-2006, 07:19 PM

Quote:

I know this is probably like throwing gasoline on a fire, but the cable I'm using and the one I think Fanatic is referring is an active cable.

For active, do you need power? I have no idea but assumed so.

This did not show up as an additional device, but it doesn't have power applied to it either unless it is selfpowered through the 6pin.

I just have a cable I found on the shelf that worked and my brother was thrilled - I don't know if it was active/passive or whatever the terminology

It was a little more expensive then a typical USB extension cable which I attributed to gauge of the connection cable, but not like the $70-$100 hub/repeaters for USB I have seen.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Active repeater cables get their power from the USB bus.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:33 PM

Maybe it is an active cable then - that might explain it.

I guess I just got lucky.

This is the one:

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/421...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Old 02-03-2006, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess we both learned something today! I learned that HDTVFanatic is using an active cable, and HDTVFanatic learned that he is using an active cable.

I should have known it from the beginning when he said that the end of the cable had a big connector.