Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 2773 Old 06-02-2008, 09:32 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
in an attempt to fix things I've no reached the dreaded "30 day trial period expired." is there a way to start over? Its only been 1 day

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 2773 Old 06-03-2008, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Guys, just chiming in here to mention that I have a pristine Motorola DCT5100 with no firewire port that I purchased last year that I never managed to upgrade with R5000 modifications. PM me if interested, it has to go ultra cheap.

Thanks for a great product and service, R5000 guys. :-)

Cheers,
Adam

"Stereo replay never actually reproduces a musical event. The only thing you can hope for is a credible illusion. But it can be a very nice illusion." -Bruno Putzeys
post #1893 of 2773 Old 06-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by R5000-HD View Post

Search your registry (both boots) for the multiplexer filter. Use the search string "r5kmpx.ax". There should be a match under HKCR\\CLSID\\{32A90E9C...\\InprocServer32
The default value is the path to the dll.

The MCE checkup utility attempts to load this dll into a graph. If it succeeds it means the dll was registered properly and the file was found in its location.

-R

The boot partition with version 3.0 of the R5000HD software has "V:\\Program Files\\R5000HD\\mce\
5kmpx.ax" as the "default" entry each time r5kmpx.ax is found in the registry.

I haven't checked the old boot yet that uses 2.5f, but I'm certain it won't be the same (or may not even be there) within the registry. That boot partition doesn't have the mce sub-directory under the R5000HD directory.
post #1894 of 2773 Old 06-05-2008, 05:15 AM

Quote:

We are currently offering the R5000-HD modification (including pre-modified STBs) at 20% off the regular list price plus free return ground shipping (US customers).

Just want to be sure before I go with the HD-PVR, does this product work or will it work in the near future with a Linux HTPC?

Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
post #1895 of 2773 Old 06-05-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:

Please see: http://www.nextcomwireless.com/R5000/mythtv.htm
Thanks

-R

Thanks for the response. Other than the CoreAVC requirement this seems like this could be a perfect solution for an open source HTPC.

Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
post #1896 of 2773 Old 06-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post

in an attempt to fix things I've no reached the dreaded "30 day trial period expired." is there a way to start over? Its only been 1 day

I finally managed to get the new, beta MCE virtual tuner driver working on my system this evening.

It was truly awesome to experience high definition 720p and 1080i Live TV with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio for the first time within Vista Media Center and to be able to actually channel surf through the HD channels as well as pause, rewind, fast forward, etc. People have been dreaming of having this ability for literally years, especially the well over 100,000 Media Center users/enthusiasts over on www.thegreenbutton.com (there are literally 10's of 1000's of posts discussing bringing HD into Media Center).

Like you, I did have trouble getting it working and unfortunately there are quite a few bugs that really need to get fixed at the moment. I'm sure when it is out of beta it will work well though.

As far as getting it working on your system, there was a new beta version released with a new trial period - version 3.0a (http://www.nextcomwireless.com/R5000...nload.htm#Beta). Once you install it, don't uninstall it; expecting to be able to reinstall it. For some reason this seems to instantly expire the trial period.

To get mine to work I found I needed to use a bizarre procedure (that I believe might be related to the fact that most channels I subscribe to use AC3/Dolby Digital 5.1 audio):
  • Uninstall version 3.0 and reboot.
  • Follow all of the MCE R5000HD installation instructions, including turning on the MCE server mode and then setting up TV in Media Center (note that during TV setup in MC that the tray icon for the R5000HD DVR turns red, indicating a connection with the virtual tuner). During the TV Setup in MC, if there is only a blank sample image shown, "pretend" it is working and work your way through the rest of the setup, including the TV Guide.
  • After this, reboot.
  • Then, instead of starting the R5000HD DVR, first start Media Center and try to watch Live TV. It won't work, but this is a necessary step to make it work on my system (without this step the Virtual Tuner will never connect to the R5000DVR).
  • After that, exit Media Center, start the R5000HD DVR and wait. After about 5 seconds the tray icon will turn red and it will be communicating with the virtual tuner driver for MCE. You will also see the MCE buffer status. Click the "X" to close the R5000HD DVR to the tray.
  • Finally start MC and Live TV will produce at least video. If the channel the STB is on contains AC3 audio, there will be no audio yet (and if you switch to a channel without AC3, MC will crash hard, along with the Virtual Tuner driver. If you change channels and it crashes, you'll need to reboot and follow the steps after rebooting again. I couldn't find any way to recover other than rebooting.
  • Now start recording the Live TV (without audio), press the green button and go into Recorded TV and start playing the same show that you were watching Live (currently recording).
  • At this point everything, including AC3 audio will work and you can start using Media Center in HD.
One extra tip, I discovered that sometimes when switching between an SD and HD channel in Live TV or vice verse, that MC might crash and the Virtual Tuner will break it's connection to the R5000HD DVR (and you then need to go through the entire "reboot, start MC, watch Live TV, exit MC, start the R5000HD DVR, wait, start MC, watch Live TV, record Live TV, green button, Recorded TV, watch recording" process to get everything working again). One workaround that never seems to crash is to press "Stop" and exit Live TV and then use the guide to change the channel. I think this forces Media Center to create a new graph so it gets around the crashes when switching between SD/HD.

I don't know if other STBs have this problem, but the biggest show stopper for me at this time is if a recording starts that needs to switch between HD/SD, that recording will end up being unplayable. Only recordings initiated while the STB is already streaming the same SD/HD will the recordings be playable.

What seems to happen is Media Center starts recording the SD/HD show on the "old" channel and then while recording, the STB flips between SD/HD. The STB essentially changes channels too slowly. The recording keeps on going, but when you play it back, Media Center stops playing at the SD/HD transition and you can't watch anything past it.

It is a great start and I'm anxiously looking forward to when this gets out of beta and fully functional, but if you want a relatively reliable way to use the R5000HD with Media Center today (Vista anyway) and your system behaves like mine, I recommend to keep using FireSTB for now (ideally set up a dual boot so you can help provide feedback on the real driver and so you'll know when it is ready for prime time). FireSTB is a pain to set up and does not support Live TV so the R5000HD virtual tuner will be a huge step forward soon.
post #1897 of 2773 Old 06-06-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Slider View Post

Finally start MC and Live TV will produce at least video. If the channel the STB is on contains AC3 audio, there will be no audio yet (and if you switch to a channel without AC3, MC will crash hard, along with the Virtual Tuner driver. If you change channels and it crashes, you'll need to reboot and follow the steps after rebooting again. I couldn't find any way to recover other than rebooting.

One extra tip, I discovered that sometimes when switching between an SD and HD channel in Live TV or vice verse, that MC might crash and the Virtual Tuner will break it's connection to the R5000HD DVR (and you then need to go through the entire "reboot, start MC, watch Live TV, exit MC, start the R5000HD DVR, wait, start MC, watch Live TV, record Live TV, green button, Recorded TV, watch recording" process to get everything working again).

Are you sure that Media Center is "crashing"? On my setup when I alternate between AC-3 and MPEG audio channels, MC is shut down and then restarted by the R5000 DVR. Presumably it needs to be restarted for some changes to take effect. This all happens pretty quick, like in a second or 2, so maybe in your setup its just not getting restarted for some reason?

Also, I find it doesn't make any difference when or if the DVR is running. If you stop it, turn off your STB or tune it to a non-subbed channel you'll see the "Oops, no signal..." message over a test pattern. If the DVR isn't connected (e.g. not running) you see a different message. There's never a point where I don't see some kind of video. If I start the DVR, the message disappears after a few seconds.

Whenever I run into problems with Media Center I stop the receiver service (ehrecvr). Saves the trouble of rebooting.

tw
post #1898 of 2773 Old 06-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurstonw View Post

Are you sure that Media Center is "crashing"? On my setup when I alternate between AC-3 and MPEG audio channels, MC is shut down and then restarted by the R5000 DVR. Presumably it needs to be restarted for some changes to take effect. This all happens pretty quick, like in a second or 2, so maybe in your setup its just not getting restarted for some reason?

For certain it is crashing. Vista creates a crash log to submit to Microsoft too. On top of that, I can't get anything out of the Virtual Tuner, other than a blank screen, after the crash.

Are you also running a fully updated Vista w/SP1?

My system never shuts down and restarts MC, but most of the time it stops the video when switching between HD/SD and I then have to manually go back to "Live TV" and then it starts playing video on the new channel. Although it is annoying to have to keep manually going to Live TV, this does work. The problem is it is hit and miss for totally crashing. I'd estimate that roughly 10-20% of the time instead of the stop message, I get the hard crash. At that point I can even kill every single process I can find related to MC, the virtual tuner and the DVR but it won't start working again until I go through the full reboot process (as well as starting MC Live TV prior to starting the R5000HD DVR).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurstonw View Post

Also, I find it doesn't make any difference when or if the DVR is running. If you stop it, turn off your STB or tune it to a non-subbed channel you'll see the "Oops, no signal..." message over a test pattern. If the DVR isn't connected (e.g. not running) you see a different message. There's never a point where I don't see some kind of video. If I start the DVR, the message disappears after a few seconds.

Whenever I run into problems with Media Center I stop the receiver service (ehrecvr). Saves the trouble of rebooting.

tw

With mine I never see an "Oops, no signal" ever. It is either a blank screen, or it works. The only other signal I've seen is "trial expired".

I've tried stopping the receiver service, but no matter what I do, the virtual tuner doesn't reconnect until I reboot.

I wonder if the inability for the virtual tuner to connect has something to do with the type of video/audio being used? Most of my HD content uses AC3 for audio and all of it is MPEG-2. The HD video is a mix of 1080i (1920x1080) and 720p (1280x720). The SD video is a mix of somewhat non-standard 480i resolutions (702x480, 640x480, 708x480, etc.) and most of it uses MPEG-1 audio, but some uses AC3.

It sounds like your system is behaving the way it is supposed to behave. Which operating system do you use and which STB?

BTW, my system is 100% rock solid stable (with a fresh install) without the 3.0a MCE Virtual Tuner installed. It is also a relatively new system with a GA-P35-DS4 motherboard, 4GB of RAM, an Intel Q6600 processor, an ATI 3870 video card and a total of 2.1 TB of hard drive storage. I've also run memory tests and burn in tests for at least 24 hours for each. It has never experienced a glitch anywhere so I know the problem isn't the hardware. Also, to make sure other software potentially conflicting wasn't a problem I performed a fresh Vista install to a freshly formatted partition and then installed SP1, all of Windows Updates, followed by the latest Gigabyte certified drivers. I don't have anything installed other than the HDTVPump transport stream splitter and the 3.0a R5000HD driver. I didn't even install HDTVPump at first to make sure there was absolutely nothing installed at all. It is running Vista 32 Home Premium and the STB is an ExpressVu 6000. Also, the STB and the R5000HD work perfectly when the R5000HD software version 2.5f is used along with FireSTB for Vista.
post #1899 of 2773 Old 06-07-2008, 10:34 AM
mdv
AVS Special Member

If anyone wants an R5000 modified Dish 6000, let me know. Probably can't be activated except as replacement on current account.

Mark
post #1900 of 2773 Old 06-11-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:

For certain it is crashing. Vista creates a crash log to submit to Microsoft too. On top of that, I can't get anything out of the Virtual Tuner, other than a blank screen, after the crash.

Are you also running a fully updated Vista w/SP1?

It sounds like your system is behaving the way it is supposed to behave. Which operating system do you use and which STB?

I'm using XP MCE with a Dish 211. Maybe the problem is isolated to Vista.

tw
post #1901 of 2773 Old 06-22-2008, 01:59 PM

Hey I have a few questions for you...

So if i buy the R5000-HD DVR Modification for Bell 9242 from your site, What steps would I need to get the Recorded television program(HBO Boxing Events) to my Computer (Windows Vista m8120n Media Center) ?

Looks like a very good product that I want to buy.

I live in Canada .

Thanks.
post #1902 of 2773 Old 06-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMABoxing View Post

Hey I have a few questions for you...

So if i buy the R5000-HD DVR Modification for Bell 9242 from your site, What steps would I need to get the Recorded television program(HBO Boxing Events) to my Computer (Windows Vista m8120n Media Center) ?

Looks like a very good product that I want to buy.

I live in Canada .

Thanks.

In theory, all you need is your modified 9242, to install the R5000HD MCE driver, and then set up Vista Media Center, just like you would normally.

The reality is the MC driver is still in the beta stage and there are some issues. I can't say for certain a 9242 will behave like my Bell ExpressVu 6000, but with the latest Vista MC driver (3.0b), if the STB is on an SD channel and MC tries to record HD or vice-verse, the recording isn't playable. In addition to this, the audio for all of the HD channels is very patchy with lots of short blank audio pauses. If the STB is already on an SD channel, the SD recordings do work fine.

I obviously don't know how long it will be before the driver is really usable with Vista MC and ExpressVu, but Nextcom has been updating the MC driver and releasing new beta versions roughly once a week. 3.0a had many Vista issues and 3.0b is a major step in the right direction (no more crashes and the R5000HD is relatively easy to get working with VMC now).

For the time being, the most reliable way to use the R5000HD with Vista Media Center is to use the 3rd party plugin FireSTB (the Vista version). Live TV only gives you SD quality, but Recorded TV works well, including top quality HD recordings with perfect Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. FireSTB is unfortunately a handful to configure (needs to be configured through the registry to work with the R5000HD and ExpressVu), but it works. FireSTB also will not work with the next major Media Center update that Microsoft will be releasing through Windows Update.

As I've said to everyone else (I keep getting e-mails and PMs asking how well the R5000HD MC driver works), I'll post here in this thread and the one over on "thegreenbutton.com" when it is really working for me

One final, and potentially major, thing to consider is if ExpressVu will even allow recording of your HBO boxing events. The R5000HD, when used with Media Center, complies with CGMA-A copy protection flags. In other words, if ExpressVu decides to set "copy never" flags on a particular show, you can't actually record it at all. With the totally ridiculous Bill C-61 they are trying to pass in congress, if you use a method to record that ignores these flags (Sage TV, MythTV, etc.), you will be breaking the law ($20,000 fine). To make things more confusing, CGMS-A, according to the CRTC, isn't even used in Canada - but, per Bill C-61, defeating or ignoring any content protection will be against the law. Hopefully C-61 will never pass. Right now we can legally record and time-shift anything we subscribe to for personal use. Note that I have been told that protection flags are currently not used on any HD channels and I have personally never had an HD recording fail due to them (but ExpressVu could potentially start setting these flags in the future on premium content like HBO). I don't subscibe to HBO so I can't confirm if SD HBO content is recordable either.
post #1903 of 2773 Old 06-23-2008, 12:04 PM

wow. Thank you very much. sounds pretty hard to setup.
post #1904 of 2773 Old 06-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMABoxing View Post

wow. Thank you very much. sounds pretty hard to setup.

I wouldn't say that; at least not once the MC driver is ready. It "should" be relatively easy.

For all we know the MC driver might work well in a couple of weeks - before you even have time to get ExpressVu set up (that in itself can be incredibly "hard to setup" - with installers missing dish installation appointments and screwing things up...).

One thing for certain: Once you do get an R5000HD working, there isn't really anything else out there that can touch it. You get the absolutely best image quality with a very easy to use and powerful PVR. We have 1 TB of Recorded TV storage and share the recordings with our other 5 Media Center PCs. There is nothing (that I'm aware of) other than the R5000HD that can enable this sort of functionality with top quality digital recordings.

Right now I'm typing on my laptop and if I click on Media Center or pull out the remote and press "the green button" I can watch any of the ~250 recordings right from "Recorded TV" wirelessly. About 1/2 of them are HD. I can do the same in the family/home theater room, basement/entertainment room, study, or with either of my two daughters PCs. I can also transfer any of the recordings to this laptop to watch at the cottage, use any Media Center to burn them to DVD to watch in the car, or transfer them to the Sansa portable media player to watch anywhere (click and drag).

Media Center is very easy to use. My two children and wife have no problem using it, scheduling recordings, etc. My youngest was 4 years old when she "mastered Media Center" (and all of a sudden tons of Dora and Tooby and Binoo shows "started to record").

Having said that, unless you are willing to mess around with FireSTB, I would actually recommend waiting until the MC driver is fully functional (once FireSTB is set up, everything "just works" - but it isn't exactly "turn key").
post #1905 of 2773 Old 06-23-2008, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

As the R5000HD support in zap2it has come to an end and TitanTV does not have Canadian Channels available, does Microsoft Media Center have guide information for ExpressVu and StarChoice?

Where do they purchase their information from?
post #1906 of 2773 Old 06-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber View Post

As the R5000HD support in zap2it has come to an end and TitanTV does not have Canadian Channels available, does Microsoft Media Center have guide information for ExpressVu and StarChoice?

Where do they purchase their information from?

They have a fairly accurate 14-day guide (that includes ExpressVu and StarChoice). It also includes an integrated Movie guide that includes details about cast, crew, movie review, similar movie search, etc. as well as the ability to tell Media Center to "Record in the Future" for movies that are not available in the current 14-day guide listing. For Vista Media Center, there is also a "Sports Center" that includes all of the sports listing details as well as team statistics, injuries, depth chart, on-line previews, interviews, reviews and the ability to track favorite players.

The guide is "Powered by zap2it".

The movie data is provided by "AMG".

The sports center data is provided by "Fox Sports".

The guide data is included with MCE2005 and Vista Home Premium or Ultimate.
post #1907 of 2773 Old 06-24-2008, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

One thing for certain: Once you do get an R5000HD working, there isn't really anything else out there that can touch it. You get the absolutely best image quality with a very easy to use and powerful PVR. We have 1 TB of Recorded TV storage and share the recordings with our other 5 Media Center PCs.

I hope this is not off-topic here, but are any of your HD recordings in the AVC/H.264/MPEG4 format? If so, what did you have to do to get them to play in Media Center? Thanks.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #1908 of 2773 Old 06-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

I hope this is not off-topic here, but are any of your HD recordings in the AVC/H.264/MPEG4 format? If so, what did you have to do to get them to play in Media Center? Thanks.

No. ExpressVu still uses MPEG-2.

Unfortunately Media Center cannot play MPEG-4 recordings through the normal "Recorded TV" section. Vista Media Center will be able to at some point when Fiji gets released, but even it can't at the moment.

Media Center can play MPEG-4 videos though through "My Videos" or "Videos" (Vista) and it is fairly easy to configure the R5000HD virtual tuner to make Media Center work with MPEG-4.

The best solution right now is the following:
  • Install a codec that can decode MPEG-4 such as Cyberlink's, CoreAVC, etc. (simply installing PowerDVD will do this)
  • Register the file extension you wish to use as video (some codec installations do this automatically and others you need to do it manually).
  • Configure the MCE R5000HD DVR to both work with Media Center and also to make a second copy of the recording to your preferred "video" folder.
  • Use Media Center as you normally would to schedule recordings, etc.
  • Watch your recordings through "My Videos" or "Videos" (for Vista).

This allows you to take advantage of Media Center's advanced scheduling capability and easy to use GUI as well as record and watch MPEG-4 recordings. It also lets Media Center keep track of how many episodes of a series you have on the hard drive so it can maintain your schedule preferences (for example I have Media Center configured to keep 2 episodes of many series that I watch once in a while and it replaces them automatically once I watch one).

The only real downsides are you end up wasting twice the disk space for your recordings since there are two copies (but with 500GB drives at under $80 at times this is do-able) and you need to delete both of the recordings once you are finished watching the show.

A slick, closer to fully functional work around could be performed if the Nextcom MCE driver had some extra functionality:
  1. Configure the Virtual Tuner to send a very low bit-rate video stream to Media Center that simply produces the message "Watch Recorded TV through Videos".
  2. Configure a file tracker to notice when the mpeg-4 recording is deleted from the video folder and to delete the corresponding recording from "Recorded TV" automatically.

If this was implemented, Media Center would work well for MPEG-4 and the biggest difference is we would watch our recordings from "Videos" instead of "Recorded TV". The downside is the metadata such as movie details/reviews, episode title and episode description would not be accessible from "Videos" and we would need to view that (if we wanted to) from "Recorded TV". Another issue is we would need to use the less user friendly video file name, instead of the actual series and episode description to select what to watch. Media Center does include the series name and date recorded in the file name, but no episode information.

Edit: One issue I overlooked is "Live TV" (personally I almost never watch live TV these days). With the tuner sending only a low bitrate message for the video stream, you would actually have to start to record Live TV and then watch through "Videos" also. This would be a little messy. You would need a container and codec that is capable of playing back a file that is still being recorded and growing in size. I know some can (like wmv and dvr-ms), but I'm not sure which ones would do this for MPEG-4 (possibly .ts?). Although this is still doable, to make it work well an add-in that kicks in when Live TV starts to both start recording and start watching through Videos plus support channel changing would make it a lot more user friendly. If we were to go that far, the add-in may as well do the same when anyone tries to watch a show from Recorded TV and automatically start the appropriate video instead.
post #1909 of 2773 Old 06-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Advanced Member

Is the US, which providers are using MPEG-4 at the moment?

Have most made the switch or are most still using MPEG-2?

I'm not certain, but I don't think any are using MPEG-4 in Canada yet.
post #1910 of 2773 Old 06-25-2008, 09:21 AM

What is the best tools to edit H.264 recorded off the R5000? Would like to cut out commercials or begining and ending junk from recordings. I would either like to keep it in the MPEG 4 format or easly convert to standard TS format. Any new software out there like VideoRedo or HDTVtoMPEG2?

Steve
post #1911 of 2773 Old 06-25-2008, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is the US, which providers are using MPEG-4 at the moment?

Have most made the switch or are most still using MPEG-2?

I'm not certain, but I don't think any are using MPEG-4 in Canada yet.

Dish and Directv are using h264 for HDTV at the moment.

There is no MPEG4 in Canada yet.

The newer cable boxes (none out as of this time for the most part) will be able to do MPEG4, but that is clearly years down the road.
post #1912 of 2773 Old 06-25-2008, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

ExpressVu still uses MPEG-2.

Unfortunately Media Center cannot play MPEG-4 recordings through the normal "Recorded TV" section. Vista Media Center will be able to at some point when Fiji gets released, but even it can't at the moment...

Thank you for all the detailed notes on this issue. I would be satisfied with the process you describe, if I ultimately decide to get one of these systems.

One major issue with computer playback of AVC/H.264 HD recordings seems to exist still, though. Movies that have been recorded from interlaced (1080i) HD AVC channels have a consistent, large "judder"-type problem that appears in horizontal motion about once per second. This problem seems to appear regardless of what channel the recording was made from, or whether the video board is an Nvidia or ATI, or whether the processor is an AMD or Intel, or what AVC codec was used, or whether hardware acceleration (if available) is turned on or off. In fact, this problem is one thing that is holding me back from buying into a system right now. Full-hardware players (Tivx, Playstation 3, etc.) do not have this problem, and it is not a CPU-speed issue, nor does it appear with recordings from progressive (720p) AVC channels.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #1913 of 2773 Old 06-26-2008, 06:49 AM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsrsmithx View Post

What is the best tools to edit H.264 recorded off the R5000? Would like to cut out commercials or begining and ending junk from recordings. I would either like to keep it in the MPEG 4 format or easly convert to standard TS format. Any new software out there like VideoRedo or HDTVtoMPEG2?

options for editing h.264 are pretty limited at this time. best one I've used is TS Packet editor.

Rick
post #1914 of 2773 Old 06-26-2008, 08:16 AM

Thanks - RTK Will give it a try.

Steve
post #1915 of 2773 Old 06-26-2008, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Is anyone running the R5000HD unit on a machine that has a Raid 5 or greater unit in it. No issues with Raid 0. I am having a great number of issues with Raid 5 though.

I you run this unit on a Raid 5 or 6 machine, if you would be so kind, would you please list:

1) The Raid Card Type
2) Number of Drives
3) IDE or SATA/SATA2
4) Make, Model and Capacity and Model of the Drives
5) Number of HD Streams (HDTV or R5000 units) you run on the machine at once.

I'd like to see what actually works.

I have tried 3Ware 7500 IDE Cards and 9000 SATA Cards (3 Seagate Drives of 750GB each) and the raid is so slow I cannot record even 1 stream without causing major errors and Overflows in the buffers of the DVR.

However, even copying files to the drive is agonizingly slow - so I am wondering if I have another bottleneck somewhere.

I should point out that the CPU is not running anymore than 8% - 10%, so that is not the issue.
post #1916 of 2773 Old 06-26-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post

options for editing h.264 are pretty limited at this time. best one I've used is TS Packet editor.

I tried TS Packet Editor a couple of weeks ago, but I've had better luck with:

http://www.h264tscutter.de/show_artikel.php?id=5

Version 111 is the smoothest in operation, but crashes when editing specific files. I've found version 107 works in those cases, but is otherwise uglier. There's a lot of room for improvement nevertheless.
post #1917 of 2773 Old 06-26-2008, 09:19 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonsound View Post

I tried TS Packet Editor a couple of weeks ago, but I've had better luck with:

http://www.h264tscutter.de/show_artikel.php?id=5

Version 111 is the smoothest in operation, but crashes when editing specific files. I've found version 107 works in those cases, but is otherwise uglier. There's a lot of room for improvement nevertheless.

I haven't tried it for a while so perhaps things have improved however after testing a few edited R5000 Dish h.264 recordings, I found h264 tscutter introduced errors whereas editing with TS packet editor did not. YMMV. I am hoping that VideoRedo adds support later this year but not holding my breath.

Rick
post #1918 of 2773 Old 06-26-2008, 09:25 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber View Post

Is anyone running the R5000HD unit on a machine that has a Raid 5 or greater unit in it. No issues with Raid 0. I am having a great number of issues with Raid 5 though.

I you run this unit on a Raid 5 or 6 machine, if you would be so kind, would you please list:

1) The Raid Card Type
2) Number of Drives
3) IDE or SATA/SATA2
4) Make, Model and Capacity and Model of the Drives
5) Number of HD Streams (HDTV or R5000 units) you run on the machine at once.

I'd like to see what actually works.

I have tried 3Ware 7500 IDE Cards and 9000 SATA Cards (3 Seagate Drives of 750GB each) and the raid is so slow I cannot record even 1 stream without causing major errors and Overflows in the buffers of the DVR.

However, even copying files to the drive is agonizingly slow - so I am wondering if I have another bottleneck somewhere.

I should point out that the CPU is not running anymore than 8% - 10%, so that is not the issue.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my system so its not currently installed but I have been using a Promise Supertrak EX8350 (PCIe SATA2)for over a year without any issues. Its been blazing fast and stable. I had a hard drive die and rebuilding a 2TB array did take some time but it worked fine. I am currently using 4 750GB Seagate drives but I am in the process of deciding whether to add another 750 or move to 1TB drives.

Rick
post #1919 of 2773 Old 06-27-2008, 01:01 PM

I just go a call from Dish network. They said the 6000 will stop getting HD chanels in August. They want to swap it with a different model. Does anybody know anything about this?
post #1920 of 2773 Old 06-28-2008, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher2 View Post

I just go a call from Dish network. They said the 6000 will stop getting HD chanels in August. They want to swap it with a different model. Does anybody know anything about this?

What it probably means is that they will discontinue broadcasting MPEG2 in August and go strictly MPEG4. The 6000 is not capable of receiving MPEG4, however there are other Dish receivers which are (211 and 411 for example) and which you can get modified by Nextcom.

Ron
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page