The Official R5000-HD Technical Status Discussion - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1981 of 2774 Old 10-04-2008, 02:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Meanwhile... back at my home... watching/recording a Comcast On Demand movie with SageTV/Vista while reading this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber View Post

Let's see, you've blown up your ViP211 and haven't had TV for 6 months. Looks like that DIY kit saved you all kinds of time and money

For those of us who use Windows and the R5000HD as it is advertised we continue to have no issues.

Suggest you use the unit as advertised or find a solution aimed for your OS/System needs. Life's too short.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2774 Old 10-04-2008, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Let's see, you've blown up your ViP211 and haven't had TV for 6 months. Looks like that DIY kit saved you all kinds of time and money
For those of us who use Windows and the R5000HD as it is advertised we continue to have no issues.
Suggest you use the unit as advertised or find a solution aimed for your OS/System needs. Life's too short.

Pay attention now, BeachComber and MKANET. WINDOWS IS NOT WORKING!! I don't know how I can say it any more clearly. The G45 chipset is non-functional with XP and no one has been able to advise! What a sad life you must have, to take potshots at someone who is mightily struggling to make this work. To just lazily advise me to 'eat cake', and not offer any (specifically requested) hardware suggestions. You two haven't the slightest understanding of what I am doing here, do you.

Obviously I'm sharing information with the wrong crowd. This is supposed to be the "Technical Status Discussion", but apparently we are not very technical here so I've deleted my Linux progress report posts.
post #1983 of 2774 Old 10-04-2008, 06:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

You mean it doesnt work on the old version of Windows. Upgrading to Vista SP1 for new hardware makes sense to me today. If it still doesnt work with even the "current" version of Windows (even with Vista certified intel drivers), its time to think about getting a new motherboard... Sorry about the seemingly "kick rocks" response; but, using new hardware on an old OS just doesnt make sense; neither does "forcing" the R5000 to work with linux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumstate View Post

Pay attention now, BeachComber and MKANET. WINDOWS IS NOT WORKING!! I don't know how I can say it any more clearly. The G45 chipset is non-functional with XP and no one has been able to advise! What a sad life you must have, to take potshots at someone who is mightily struggling to make this work. To just lazily advise me to 'eat cake'. You two haven't the slightest understanding of what I am doing here.

Obviously I'm sharing information with the wrong crowd.

post #1984 of 2774 Old 10-04-2008, 06:17 AM

You think XP SP3 is an 'old' OS?
Pfffff

And I should think the maker of R5000 would welcome its functionality on a new platform, your preferences notwithstanding. I have used Debian exclusively for eleven years (maybe longer than you've used computers), and it is my preference. If I have to beat something into working, I'd rather do it on Linux than Winduhs any day. Isn't that OK with you?
post #1985 of 2774 Old 10-04-2008, 06:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Try again.. Senior IT Engineer; supported information systems for over 18 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumstate View Post

You think XP SP3 is an 'old' OS?
Pfffff

And I should think the maker of R5000 would welcome its functionality on a new platform, your preferences notwithstanding. I have used Debian exclusively for eleven years (maybe longer than you've used computers), and it is my preference. If I have to beat something into working, I'd rather do it on Linux than Winduhs any day. Isn't that OK with you?

post #1986 of 2774 Old 10-14-2008, 09:16 AM

Liked: 11
I've noticed over the last week that I all the sudden have to "un-standby" my vip211 each day to get sage to record via the r5000hd. Does anyone know if Dish pushed firmware changes to the vip211s that would have changed how it behaves? I had it set to never go into standby, but it appears to power-up into standby after the daily 3am epg updates. I had never had problems with this before about wednesday last week.
post #1987 of 2774 Old 10-14-2008, 09:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

If that's true, there's a way to get around the sleep problem. Under the R5000 webpage, in "about this release" you will see a section for "precode". You can put a precode command in the R5000 config file to wake your receiver up before the R5000 tries to send other commands to it... such as pressing OK waiting 500miliseconds, and pressing OK again (or things you would normallly do to get your box out of sleep mode). If you have any problems getting the Precode to work, below is a real life example of what's in one of my DVR R5000 config file...

before the END statement (but after all other lines), I have the following command:

PreCode: ok 100 ok 100

(this will press OK/enter, wait 100 miliseconds, press OK again, wait 100 miliseconds)

If you still have questions, you can send an email to the R5000 support email.

Just a Warning: They aren't the most customer-friendly support, as they seem to reply back to emails only when they feel like it; and may just ignore your email if it's a support issue they rather not deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk29321 View Post

I've noticed over the last week that I all the sudden have to "un-standby" my vip211 each day to get sage to record via the r5000hd. Does anyone know if Dish pushed firmware changes to the vip211s that would have changed how it behaves? I had it set to never go into standby, but it appears to power-up into standby after the daily 3am epg updates. I had never had problems with this before about wednesday last week.

post #1988 of 2774 Old 10-14-2008, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have a demonstration meeting tomorrow morning and could really use some help!

Vista Media Center - everything is working perfectly - except the R5000HD.

Previously R5000HD working perfectly outside of Vista Media Center.
New Build - SP1, etc. Purchased the MCE pack from Nextcom and trying to get things going.

Everything installs fine from the MCE download off the Nextcom Site. Find device and I can control it from the virtual controller, etc.

Trying to record from the DVR app - all appears to be working, lights up, data rates, etc. - but no file is created.

Trying to integrate into Vista Media Center - Tuner not found error, from the MCE Checkup in the DVR app. Tried restarting services, rebooting system - nothing, NADA - no change!

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling - pointing everything clearly at the right driver - no difference!

I am pulling what little hair out that I still have.

Anyone have any suggestions???

Help

"Read Less, More TV." - Dr. Gregory House

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

The Metropolis Home Theater

Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems - Affiliated
post #1989 of 2774 Old 10-14-2008, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post

I have a demonstration meeting tomorrow morning and could really use some help!

Vista Media Center - everything is working perfectly - except the R5000HD.

Previously R5000HD working perfectly outside of Vista Media Center.
New Build - SP1, etc. Purchased the MCE pack from Nextcom and trying to get things going.

Everything installs fine from the MCE download off the Nextcom Site. Find device and I can control it from the virtual controller, etc.

Trying to record from the DVR app - all appears to be working, lights up, data rates, etc. - but no file is created.

Trying to integrate into Vista Media Center - Tuner not found error, from the MCE Checkup in the DVR app. Tried restarting services, rebooting system - nothing, NADA - no change!

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling - pointing everything clearly at the right driver - no difference!

I am pulling what little hair out that I still have.

Anyone have any suggestions???

Help

I was not aware that they finally had the MCE interface operating successfully from the comments in this thread
post #1990 of 2774 Old 10-15-2008, 06:13 PM

Liked: 10
To All you Esteemed R5000 Users:

I have been running SageTV on Windows XP with clearQAM and Analog Cable. Its been very stable.

Recently we decided that we don't like getting 10 million channels and decided to terminate Comcast and go with ATSC + Turbo HD from dish.

Sage is a nice solution for an integrated program menu. But I have a special requirement for Closed Captions.

Recently I have discovered that Sage can Playback ATSC captions on about 40 of 47 channels I picked up without the plugin. This is great news.

So looking at the MPEG4 Stream that is captured from the R5000 I am wondering:

1. Are there captions in the MPEG4 ?
2. Do I need a special decoder to extract them?
3. Does anyone else have experience with this?
4. How reliable is the USB control of the R5000? ie do I really need a USBIRT for only 1 R5000?

Kind Regards,
Tony

If Greg Norman can finsh 3rd in the Open at 53 then I should be able to record in HD.
post #1991 of 2774 Old 10-24-2008, 09:07 AM

After trying the Nextcom MCE SW I decided to give up and give Sage TV a try based on everything I read here. But I can't get it working and I'm stumped. I think I have everything set up correctly from the instructions on the R5000 site. I cut and pasted all the settings for one receiver and changed the receiver entry to Dish 211. The R5000 appears to be linking up with Sage OK based on the messages at the bottom left of the R5000 window, but I don't get any recording files. All of the indications on the R5000 control panel (Bitrate, etc) seem to indicate proper operation EXCEPT file size remains at 0.

Prior to this the R5000 was working fine with MyTray, so I don't suspect a hardware problem. Where do I look next?

Woody
post #1992 of 2774 Old 10-24-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyh View Post

After trying the Nextcom MCE SW I decided to give up and give Sage TV a try based on everything I read here. But I can't get it working and I'm stumped. I think I have everything set up correctly from the instructions on the R5000 site. I cut and pasted all the settings for one receiver and changed the receiver entry to Dish 211. The R5000 appears to be linking up with Sage OK based on the messages at the bottom left of the R5000 window, but I don't get any recording files. All of the indications on the R5000 control panel (Bitrate, etc) seem to indicate proper operation EXCEPT file size remains at 0.

Prior to this the R5000 was working fine with MyTray, so I don't suspect a hardware problem. Where do I look next?

Woody

Try increasing the value of RecDelay in the R5000 config file. I was getting 0 size files when tuning OTA channels on my Dish VIP211s. See my post earlier in this thread here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post12803344
post #1993 of 2774 Old 10-24-2008, 05:34 PM

Thanks! I seem to remember something about that in the R5000 Sage instructions, but I thought that was supposed to be in the Sage.properties file and couldn't find it. Now that I know where to look that will give me something to try over the weekend.

Woody
post #1994 of 2774 Old 10-27-2008, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Although there is no firm date yet it looks like D* is getting closer to moving all their HD content to MPEG-4. A recent change has made HBO-HD disappear from the guide of some older receivers although the channel still exists in MPEG-2 format. The solution from D* (after trying the various resets and authorization hits) is to send you out a new HD receiver free of charge. Could be an intentional change made to get the attention of older receiver owners and push them to upgrade?

For those DirecTV owners who want to still use their R5000-HD modification with Dish Network or cable, we are once again offering the upgrade/swap: click here. Price includes the labor to swap out the modification and additional hardware to upgrade the modification.

You'll need to send us the old DirecTV modified receiver and the new box you want to modify. The old DirecTV receiver has no value to us; there is no additional discount if you want us to keep it.

-R
post #1995 of 2774 Old 10-27-2008, 11:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Can you do a deal with the DishTV unit included? While I ebayed by original Hughes E86, I'd rather one stop shop.

I still need to figure out how to get out of my DirecTV contract as well (although I think I remember it wasn't that expensive).
post #1996 of 2774 Old 11-01-2008, 10:29 PM

I'm selling it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260306496543

I have posted the following information about recording MPEG-2 HD on D* with the R5000:

Code:
*The following DirecTV HD channels numbered in the 70s should be available for a long time:
(these are now simulcast in MPEG-4 on higher channels, but will remain on these channels in MPEG-2 for a long while)
70 - HBO-HD (if you subscribe to HBO and the "HD Access" package)
71 - Showtime-HD (if you subscribe to Showtime and the "HD Access" package)
72 - ESPN2-HD
73 - ESPN-HD
74 - Universal-HD (part of the "HD Extra" package...)
75 - TNT-HD
76 - HD Theater
78 - HDNet Movies (part of the "HD Extra" package...)
79 - HDNet
Is the part in bold accurate?

I know that isn't many channels, but I've read that they will be leaving these 9 stations on MPEG-2 for the forseeable future.

I don't want to be dishonest in my listing though...

Thanks a lot,

-Wes
post #1997 of 2774 Old 11-02-2008, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo22 View Post

I know that isn't many channels, but I've read that they will be leaving these 9 stations on MPEG-2 for the forseeable future.

There are other posts that say those are going to MPEG4 by Feb 2009, so who really knows.

I do think you are dreaming if you think you will get anywhere close to $400 for it. One can pickup the receiver for $25 (or less) on eBay and a new DIY kit is $275 (with 1/2 off a second unit, a warranty and full support). It appears the November specials would even install it in that unit for less than $275 (I would guess about $225 as that seems to be the difference in the units that need the newer / older boards).

Thus if you could purchase a new one from R5000HD for $250, why would anyone pay close to that for a used one?
post #1998 of 2774 Old 11-02-2008, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I sold a working BEV receiver with the installed mod a full two years ago and only got $175. for it. I advertised it everywhere, and ended up selling it on ebay. I thought it was a bit low, but there is NO demand for it whatsoever.
If at that time, the greedy bastards at Nextcom had offered the changeover of the old style to the new style mod for a reasonable amount(like the current "special") I would have gladly done that, but they chose to alienate me as a customer instead, and I haven't used their service or promoted it to a single person since their rebuff.

And I was a two unit owner who recommended the mod to countless people BEFORE they treated me so shabbily...
post #1999 of 2774 Old 11-02-2008, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the responses, folks.

I don't really expect to get $400 for it, but was hoping for a best offer around $250 or $300. (I paid $350 a year and a half ago, based on the info on Nextcom's site that the current MPEG-2 stations would probably always work). I'd probably sell it for $150 or $200, but for $50 or $100, I'll just keep the thing.

Someone offered me $50, but I turned it down. It's worth more than that as an "upgrade".

@none74, I'm sorry to hear that you were treated so poorly. I feel that $225 for the "upgrade" is still a bit too much. They are essentially giving $60 off to existing customers. If they are able to use the parts in a new mod, then the fee shouldn't be much more than the $100 transfer fee.

Anyway, I don't think many folks can do the "DIY" installation, so it would cost $375 to have Nextcom do it, and the boxes still go for $25 to $40. That's where I came up with the price.

Important thing, though: is there really no authoritative answer on if/when the current MPEG-2 stations will actually go away? If they are going to go away soon, I need to just keep this thing and forget about it.

-Wes
post #2000 of 2774 Old 11-03-2008, 03:19 PM

Here in NJ my old DTC-100 R5000 modded box can no longer receive HBO-HD (channel 70) as it has apparently transitioned over to MPEG-4.

I wanted to try using cable with the R5000 so I purchased a new DCP501 Motorola box but my local Comcast company wont activate or provision it. They say that they don't allow user owned equipment to be activated. I spoke to the local manager and they told me that same thing.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you get it activated?

Thanks for any help
post #2001 of 2774 Old 11-03-2008, 05:42 PM

You should be able to receive HBO if you manually enter channel 70 in... I think it just doesn't show up in the guide.

I also think that the cable companies may be required to activate your equipment, but I'm not sure.
post #2002 of 2774 Old 11-04-2008, 07:25 AM

If I manually enter channel 70 the box tunes to 71 (showtime hd).

I've been playing around with a Hauppauge HD PVR. It records HD from the analog component outputs of any device. Its recording format is ts files that contain H.264 video and AC3 audio. The PS3 plays these back perfectly.

I haven't figured out a good way to edit these files. Does anyone here know of tools that I can use to do that?

What format are the MPEG4 Dish recordings in? Are they similar ts files?
post #2003 of 2774 Old 11-04-2008, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwooster View Post

If I manually enter channel 70 the box tunes to 71 (showtime hd).

I've been playing around with a Hauppauge HD PVR. It records HD from the analog component outputs of any device. Its recording format is ts files that contain H.264 video and AC3 audio. The PS3 plays these back perfectly.

I haven't figured out a good way to edit these files. Does anyone here know of tools that I can use to do that?

What format are the MPEG4 Dish recordings in? Are they similar ts files?

You are correct that manually entering any channel that the box is not mapped for will tune to the next adjacent channel. The other post has bad info and you are correct that it cannot be tuned to.

The R5000HD Dish units record in MPEG4 /h.264 as well. However, the R5000HD MPEG4 look much better than the Hauppauge as it is pulled directly out of the stream and does not go through the Digital>Analog>Digital conversion that the Hauppauge does. Furthermore, the .h264 encoders that Dish uses are FAR SUPERIOR to the Hauppauge .h264 encoder (as can be figured out by the price). You loose the advantage of the better encoders with the Hauppauge unit.
post #2004 of 2774 Old 11-06-2008, 02:19 PM

The PS3 AC3 decoder has a little bug in it. If you play back a file that starts with 2 channel audio that then switches to 5.1 audio the PS3 will not send out the 5.1 audio data correctly - instead you will just get 2 channel audio.

So for example I recorded an HBO show that began with a segment that showed what happened on the previous episode and that segment had 2 channel audio which the PS3 correctly sent to my receiver.

When the new episode started and switched to 5.1 audio the PS3 continued to send out a 2 channel audio stream.

My solution was to write a command line tool that found the start of the 5.1 channel audio and then stripped out all the data that came before it.

I am releasing a new version that will also work with ts files that contain H.264 video data

Here is a link to that software:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mkps3tsfile/

Enjoy!
post #2005 of 2774 Old 11-12-2008, 11:41 AM

FYI

R5000 users that want a low-power PC have a new choice.

Unlike most mini PCs that use 2.5 inch hard drives,
this one has an internal 3.5 and 5.25 inch bay.

I can verify that the MSI Wind PC Intel 945GC
does indeed work with the R5000.

You can find them for $150 which includes a 1.6GHz ATOM CPU

Tested using XP SP2 driving a VIP211

27 watts when I equipped it with a maxtor 750GB drive
and a NEC full-size DVD burner.

cheap VGA graphics.

Gigabit ethernet

uses single SO-DIMM same as laptops so if U have any spare...

can boot from internal CF card slot.

SDHC reader on outside.

internal miniPCIe connector

small external power supply.

ST

photo here
post #2006 of 2774 Old 11-17-2008, 10:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

I have exhausted all possibilities for Comcast to fix the low quality signal issue in my area; which basically make my R5000 Comcast cable boxes useless.

I would like to know how hard is it to get the latest DirecTV boxes modded with R5000 for SageTV. I'm going to miss Comcast On Demand dearly, but the higher quality mpeg4 video and more HD channels from DirecTV might make up for it, especially if it actuallly works flawlessly.

Can someone please shed some light on this? I am not interested in Dish Network; as I consider them the "Kmart" of Satellite TV.
post #2007 of 2774 Old 11-18-2008, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

I would like to know how hard is it to get the latest DirecTV boxes modded with R5000 for SageTV.

Very hard - literally impossible.
post #2008 of 2774 Old 11-18-2008, 02:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

It seems like the only alternative is Dish Network, and I've always made fun of themn for being the Kmart/Walmart of Satellite TV... no tellling when they will either switch their boxes again, merge with another company, or just disband.

God I wish comcast had the a competent customer service and network technicians. Their incompetience actaullly disgusts me. Id jump to directTV in a heartbeat if I knew of a way to get mpeg4 R5000 from their latest boxes.

Quote:

Very hard - literally impossible.

post #2009 of 2774 Old 11-18-2008, 04:32 AM

MKANET: Nextcom told me that the DishTV HD video was better quality than Directvs.

If you are an NFL "Superfan" then Directv is best for you.

DishTV seems to have a lot of foreign programming packages that are important for some folks.

Another solution is to just go with a Hauppauge HD PVR. You won't be getting exact bit for bit copies of HD shows but it does a surprisingly good job and it may be a good solution for you.
post #2010 of 2774 Old 11-18-2008, 06:01 PM

I dont honestly know why you think Dishnetwork will go out of business. Belltv in Canada is basically Dishnetwork Canada. They use the same equipment. Bell is Canadas biggest telecommunication company. I find it hard to believe that Bell would continue to use and sell dishnetwork equipment in Canada if there was any word on dishnetwork going belly up.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page