The Official R5000-HD Technical Status Discussion - Page 73 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2161 of 2774 Old 07-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What are the resulting files when one records with the R5000 mod? Are they ts, m2t or what? Has anyone tried this editing program by AVS4You:

http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-ReMaker.aspx

Is there anyway to get a recording so I can see what works and how well. If someone could mail me a disk with say a half hour show I would be more than willing of course to pay shipping and replace the disk.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2774 Old 07-23-2009, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Another 50 bucks for a program that it sounds like just works and nothing more is a bit to much for me.
post #2163 of 2774 Old 07-23-2009, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Anyone using an XP netbook for R5000 recordings?

Almost... I have a small computer running an Atom N330 processor and it works great.
post #2164 of 2774 Old 07-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Unless things have changed fairly recently, you won't be able to edit Dish signals with VideoRedo. It's an MPEG4 editor, not MPEG2.

Are there issues, loss of quality with converting the stream to MPEG2 and then editing it?
post #2165 of 2774 Old 07-27-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post

Are there issues, loss of quality with converting the stream to MPEG2 and then editing it?

Anytime you convert from one codec to another you lose something, although the loss may not be that noticeable, especially if you choose a larger bitrate. Of course, MPEG4 is more efficient, so you'll end up with an MPEG2 file that's considerably bigger. I'm waiting for VideoRedo to support MPEG4 and not worrying about it now. I'm storing my files on my UnRAID server and I'll edit later.

Joe Clark

post #2166 of 2774 Old 07-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

so you'll end up with an MPEG2 file that's considerably bigger. I'm waiting for VideoRedo to support MPEG4 and not worrying about it now. I'm storing my files on my UnRAID server and I'll edit later.

How big are the MPEG4 files? I'm am accustom to 6 to 10 GB files for a 1 hour show with MEPG2. Are the MPEG4 files that much smaller? It would be nice if VideoReDo would do a little upgrade but the development seems to be stagnate if not at a stand still so I don't hope for anything there. I was told over a year ago that it would support avi soon.

How much hard drive space do you have? I'm recording 30 or 40 GB a week now so HD storage would be a bit to costly, I have been saving to DVD-R-DL in ACVHD format (or BR-R for stuff over 1 hour) and am very happy with the results even if there is some loss.

Steve
post #2167 of 2774 Old 07-27-2009, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How big are the MPEG4 files? I'm am accustom to 6 to 10 GB files for a 1 hour show with MEPG2. Are the MPEG4 files that much smaller? It would be nice if VideoReDo would do a little upgrade but the development seems to be stagnate if not at a stand still so I don't hope for anything there. I was told over a year ago that it would support avi soon.

How much hard drive space do you have? I'm recording 30 or 40 GB a week now so HD storage would be a bit to costly, I have been saving to DVD-R-DL in ACVHD format (or BR-R for stuff over 1 hour) and am very happy with the results even if there is some loss.

Steve

Dish's MPEG4 files are much smaller than the MPEG2 files I used to capture. For example, I've captured some of the Star Trek original movie broadcasts from Dish in MPEG4 HD at about 4GB for the whole film - give or take a few hundred megabytes. Often a film will fit on a single layer DVD (as a regular file or as AVCHD). Hour long TV shows come in at a little over 2GB with commercials.

As for the cost of storage, single layer DVD has the advantage in terms of price right now, at about $.05/GB. DVD DL is much more than that, maybe $.30/GB. You can get a 1TB drive for $100, so hard drive storage costs about $.10/GB tops (less, since you can get a 1.5TB drive for $130). I prefer having my HD files available to me all the time, rather than trying to hunt them up on disc. I'm also concerned about the long term stability of recordable media, since the life of the discs may only be a few years. Of course, no medium is completely safe, but I use UnRAID to store my HD files. It has the added security of RAID, and the ease of use, low cost and immediate accessibility of hard drive storage. If one of my hard drives fails, I just plug in a new one. The array rebuilds itself and nothing is lost. I have about 20TB of storage right now across 2 UnRAID servers, and I'm slowly replacing my 500GB SATA drives with 1.5TB ones. The 2TB drives are already starting to drop in price, so they'll probably be my drive of choice in a few months. The nice thing about UnRAID is that I can have drives of any size in the array. You lose one drive to parity (needed to restore the array if a drive fails) and it has to be the same or larger than any other drive in the array. Small price to pay for the security RAID gives you. I've yet to lose anything on my UnRAID servers, but I've lost files to disc (DVD and CD) and disk (hard drive) failures.

Joe Clark

post #2168 of 2774 Old 07-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

I have generally been storing my H.264 recordings as TS files on DVD+R disks (UDF 2.5) and playing them back on the SONY PS3. The PQ is good and all the "trick play" (i.e., FF/Rew and skip features) work well. If I could find a hardware decoder that could stream H.264 recordings with usable trick play, I might consider moving to a network server. One forum member suggested the SageTV HD200, but it would be nice to have confirmation from other members that this decoder works well with R5000 files.

Steve
post #2169 of 2774 Old 07-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like the way to go. I haven't looked into the at all so I have some study and research to do. What is you whole setup (if you don’t mind) and what would I need to do this? Also are you using SageTV or what to record from the dish receiver? How many R5k’s do you have installed?

Thanks great info. got my mind going and my pocketbook hiding.

Steve
post #2170 of 2774 Old 07-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

I have 2 R5000 modded VIP 211's and I use the standalone DVR and PVR apps from Nextcom to record to two separate PC's. I do not use SageTV at all. I get my guide free from TitanTV.

Steve
post #2171 of 2774 Old 07-27-2009, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjr View Post

I have generally been storing my H.264 recordings as TS files on DVD+R disks (UDF 2.5) and playing them back on the SONY PS3. The PQ is good and all the "trick play" (i.e., FF/Rew and skip features) work well. If I could find a hardware decoder that could stream H.264 recordings with usable trick play, I might consider moving to a network server. One forum member suggested the SageTV HD200, but it would be nice to have confirmation from other members that this decoder works well with R5000 files.

I've done some Blu-ray folders from captured Dish recordings (tsMuxer), then converted them to iso's (using IMGBurn). From there, I mount them (using Virtual Clone Drive), and they play back with all the trick play functions in PowerDVD, just like Blu-ray discs. I use a Media Center remote so I can access FF, REW, stop, play, etc., directly from within PowerDVD (skipping the Vista Media Center interface). This is an easy way to create a single file on a hard drive/network drive. tsMuxer creates chapters automatically, so I can skip through the file quickly with the remote.

Joe Clark

post #2172 of 2774 Old 07-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have 2 R5000 modded VIP 211's and I use the standalone DVR and PVR apps from Nextcom to record to two separate PC's. I do not use SageTV at all. I get my guide free from TitanTV.

So you need 2 separate receivers for 2 R5K's? You can't install two in the same receiver if it has 2 tuners?
post #2173 of 2774 Old 07-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So you need 2 separate receivers for 2 R5K's? You can't install two in the same receiver if it has 2 tuners?

AFAIK, you can use a single computer to capture from multiple VIP211's, but I am not aware of Nextcom installing 2 mods on a two-tuner VIP722 and VIP622 DVR. I would not want to mod a DVR, because the mod would likely interfere with the normal way I would want to use the DVR.

Steve
post #2174 of 2774 Old 07-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Does the 211 have one or two tuners?
post #2175 of 2774 Old 07-27-2009, 06:46 PM

The 211 has one tuner.
post #2176 of 2774 Old 07-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've done some Blu-ray folders from captured Dish recordings (tsMuxer), then converted them to iso's (using IMGBurn). From there, I mount them (using Virtual Clone Drive), and they play back with all the trick play functions in PowerDVD, just like Blu-ray discs. I use a Media Center remote so I can access FF, REW, stop, play, etc., directly from within PowerDVD (skipping the Vista Media Center interface). This is an easy way to create a single file on a hard drive/network drive. tsMuxer creates chapters automatically, so I can skip through the file quickly with the remote.

Thanks for sharing how you play the files. I am reluctant to use a software decoding solution, because to my eyes, software decoding has been consistently inferior to hardware decoding. It could be that I am not using the right software or video card. The differences between hardware and software decoding on 1080i telecined recordings from the R5000 have been particularly obvious to me.

Steve
post #2177 of 2774 Old 07-27-2009, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwer View Post

The 211 has one tuner.

The 211 has one OTA tuner and one satellite tuner. You can add a hard drive to a 211 to turn it into a 2-tuner DVR. I've done that, too. I don't schedule recordings with the DVR very often, because of the opportunity for conflicts with the R5000, but it's nice to have DVR functions accessible while watching.

Joe Clark

post #2178 of 2774 Old 07-27-2009, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for sharing how you play the files. I am reluctant to use a software decoding solution, because to my eyes, software decoding has been consistently inferior to hardware decoding. It could be that I am not using the right software or video card. The differences between hardware and software decoding on 1080i telecined recordings from the R5000 have been particularly obvious to me.

I'm quite happy with software playback with a Radeon 4850 video card. I use it frequently with my Sharp XV-Z20000 projector, for both captured file playback and Blu-ray playback (with PowerDVD). Of course, there's the added advantage of HD audio playback over HDMI with Blu-ray.

Joe Clark

post #2179 of 2774 Old 07-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

I use a TVIX M4100 to stream R5000 files from my network. The PQ is very good, but trick play on the TVIX is sub-par. The PS3 has not worked very well for streaming, either.

Steve
post #2180 of 2774 Old 07-28-2009, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I have had two R5000's for a while, but they were hooked up to two different PC's. I want to change my setup and have them both attached to a single PC. I downloaded and installed the "multi recorder" version, but whenever I paste in the two validation codes I have for the two receivers, I get a message telling me the codes are not valid. I know these are the correct validation codes and I can install individually each receiver with the single recorder version.

Are there additional steps I need to take. I did try uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling R5000, but with no luck. I should mention I use the SageTV version. I did try both the final release and then the beta "e" version, but experienced the same issues.

Thanks!
post #2181 of 2774 Old 07-28-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:

I use a TVIX M4100 to stream R5000 files from my network. The PQ is very good, but trick play on the TVIX is sub-par. The PS3 has not worked very well for streaming, either.

My PS3 hardwired to a gigabit network works without a hitch using TVersity for both recorded content and bluray rips.
post #2182 of 2774 Old 07-28-2009, 08:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by has123 View Post

My PS3 hardwired to a gigabit network works without a hitch using TVersity for both recorded content and bluray rips.

Blu-ray folders or Blu-ray iso's?

Joe Clark

post #2183 of 2774 Old 07-28-2009, 09:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am sure many of you are curious to know what has Nextcom Wireless so busy doing since the last software/driver release back in August 2008. In fact, they have been so busy, they barely had time to respond to support emails. Are they releasing a completely reworked driver and application package (Version 1.0) supporting:

- Windows 7 (64 bit & 32 bit)
- Windows 7 Media Center
- Vista (64 bit & 32 bit)
- Vista Media Center
- Linux

Afterall, the R5000 only works correctly on legacy 32 bit Windows OS's from 2 generations back/

Below is a copy of the inquiry made to Nextcom Wireless Support and their official response back. I guess it depends how their response if interpreted, but it looks to me either they are aggressively working on something pretty big, or they're just sucking us on until they sell the last of their original inventory and close shop. I'm curious to know what you guys think. I personally think the latter is true (but that's just me). Below is an exact copy of the correspondence:

Quote:

To Whom It May Concern:

The R5000 user community would appreciate the professional courtesy for an official reply back regarding Nextcom Wireless's commitment to provide R5000 drivers and dependable software that's fully compatible with Microsoft's current and upcoming operating systems and Media Center software in the near future:

Windows Vista (32 bit)
Windows Vista (64 bit)
Windows 7 (32 bit)
Windows 7 (64 bit)
Vista Media Center
Windows 7 Media Center

The last OS that the R5000 worked reliably on was Microsoft's legacy OS: Windows XP (32 bit only) which isn't available anymore on new PCs.

We will post your official response on this AVS Forum thread (Please note, a non-response is also a response as well.)

Thank you for your effort to provide a quality up-to-date product,
-MKA
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your inquiry. Our software development is ongoing in these areas however we cannot make any commitments as to what may be available or when. We advise you to check our website periodically for the latest news and updates. Whereas we do have plans to release new software in the not too distant future there is no official release date nor has support for any particular product been finalized.

R5000-HD Support

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #2184 of 2774 Old 07-28-2009, 09:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Has anyone tried Windows XP virtualized in Windows 7 with the R5000?

Joe Clark

post #2185 of 2774 Old 07-28-2009, 10:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If anyone has, I'm curious how bad of a performance penalty is running 32bit XP VM under 64bit Win 7. There's already a pretty big lag when waiting for a a/v stream to start, changing channels, etc.

Quote:

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #2186 of 2774 Old 07-29-2009, 12:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by has123 View Post

I'll have to try streaming with the PS3 again. The last few times I tried to stream with the PS3 using Tversity, I could not get the TS files to play over the network at all, even though I could see them in the PS3 menu. Those same files played fine on the PS3 when transferred to DVD+R's.

Steve
post #2187 of 2774 Old 08-01-2009, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I couldn't get it to work (VMWare Workstation 6.5.1). It doesn't matter though, as I needed a low-power machine I could leave on 24x7 and dedicate to R5000 and B*****rent duties so I built yet another new PC around an Intel mini-ITX motherboard and Atom 330 processor. I do have to copy the files over to my Core i7 box for editing, but at 50MB/sec, it's not too bad.
post #2188 of 2774 Old 08-01-2009, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you remux the elementary streams into an MKV container, any of the NMTs (PCH, DragonTech IOBox, etc.) work fine. Whether or not you find the video quality acceptable is another question. I've started to value convenience over that last bit of picture quality, so if I'm missing something, it doesn't bother me that much anymore. I stopped burning video to DVDs for archival purposes years ago, maybe around the time I got an IOData Linkplayer 2.
post #2189 of 2774 Old 08-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber View Post

It works fine for the most part as advertised 99.9% of the time. A few quirks you just need to learn to work around or plan for (though some are a real pain). Of course, the quirks normally hit you when the rare - one time only stuff comes on

Can you give some examples? I am thinking about buying the R5k mod. but I have this problem with buying something broken and to here there is no plan for fixes makes me like the idea of buying it even less. That is unless the problems are minor.
post #2190 of 2774 Old 08-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhue View Post

I do have to copy the files over to my Core i7 box for editing, but at 50MB/sec, it's not too bad.

What are you using to edit and what interface is giving you 50MB a sec?
Reply HDTV Recorders