post #2251 of 2773 Old 08-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonsound View Post

Seems as though Nextcom is in the process of putting up a new version of software. Some release notes are posted on their site in the downloads section, but I didn't see the software:

Those look like some decent additions... hope they improved the stability as well.

This may be helpful...who's gonna be first

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2773 Old 08-30-2009, 01:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
It looks like the 32 bit "Multi" versions are completely broken. The drivers load okay, but the DVR app doesnt know how to correctly handle all 4 devices.

Using only 1 R5000 box will work okay for both the single and Multi versions (and works with SageTV fine as long as only 1 R5000 is plugged in).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briands View Post

Those look like some decent additions... hope they improved the stability as well.

This may be helpful...who's gonna be first

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #2253 of 2773 Old 08-30-2009, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for being the first test guy, My sage/R5000 system have been running great forever.
I better not fix it

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #2254 of 2773 Old 08-30-2009, 02:21 PM

Yeah, I can also confirm the multi instance not working for me either with my receivers both plugged in.
post #2255 of 2773 Old 08-30-2009, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Has anyone tested the 64bit Vista version? I'm doing a lot of work on my systems and won't be able to test for a while.

Joe Clark

post #2256 of 2773 Old 08-31-2009, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Has anyone tested the 64bit Vista version? I'm doing a lot of work on my systems and won't be able to test for a while.

I did and it works great.

Ron
post #2257 of 2773 Old 08-31-2009, 05:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Wow, so if I switch to 64bit, I will be able to use all 4 of my R5000s with the new software?

Edit: Opps, I just realized that you probably meant it only works on systems with 1 R5000 only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Tobin View Post

I did and it works great.

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #2258 of 2773 Old 08-31-2009, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I have a single R5000, so the issues with multiple devices won't affect me. Fits right in with changes I'm making with my systems. I still won't be able to use it for a while, but I'm glad there's some progress with the software.

Joe Clark

post #2259 of 2773 Old 09-01-2009, 11:53 AM

Hopefully they are monitoring this thread, but has anyone reported the 3.1c multi-instance problem to Nextcom?
post #2260 of 2773 Old 09-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler11 View Post

Hopefully they are monitoring this thread, but has anyone reported the 3.1c multi-instance problem to Nextcom?

Maybe that's why they have not announced the release... we did jump the gun a bit.
They have not taken them down though.

BTW... I'd love to notify them of the multi-instance problem, but I only have one so I can't confirm it.

Brian
post #2261 of 2773 Old 09-01-2009, 12:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, I did. But they generally dont reply back to emails reporting bugs. If they do, it's to respond that it works on their setup. Maybe someone here has better communication with the developer for R5000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler11 View Post

post #2262 of 2773 Old 09-02-2009, 10:00 AM

After months of trying, I still can't get things working properly. My worst problem is missing channel changes, or having recordings chopped up by retunes. I'd estimate that 95% of the recording have one or more defects, or don't record at all. I have the R5000 mod in my HDD200 and am using an IRblaster to tune the 4DTV. If anyone here has this hardware configuration, I'd like to compare notes. Questions:
1. Do you set SageTV to always tune the channel, even if there is no channel change?
2. Do you set the R5000 software to surf mode? If so, what have you set the 'resend sat code' time to?
post #2263 of 2773 Old 09-02-2009, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It's funny. When the R5000 was first released, it was such a great solution. The older Firewire technology (can't even remember the name of the company that produced it) that did the same sort of capture was buggy as hell. The R5000 just plain worked. Fast forward to today and so many people seem to be experiencing issues with it.

Joe Clark

post #2264 of 2773 Old 09-02-2009, 10:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Hi Transco, I'm sorry I dont have the answer to your question. But, I am curious about your setup. Even if you manage to get it working correctly, aren't there only 3 HD channels to watch anyway on your HDD200? (HBO, Stars, & DiscoveryHD)? I'm curious what's motivating you to go down this route verses cable or DishNetwork? I'm sure there's a good reason; and, that's why I'm asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transco View Post

After months of trying, I still can't get things working properly. My worst problem is missing channel changes, or having recordings chopped up by retunes. I'd estimate that 95% of the recording have one or more defects, or don't record at all. I have the R5000 mod in my HDD200 and am using an IRblaster to tune the 4DTV. If anyone here has this hardware configuration, I'd like to compare notes. Questions:
1. Do you set SageTV to always tune the channel, even if there is no channel change?
2. Do you set the R5000 software to surf mode? If so, what have you set the 'resend sat code' time to?

post #2265 of 2773 Old 09-02-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

It still works perfectly just like it always did. It's when people try to make it work other than the typical Windows XP cableTV/dishnetwork setup. I had to jump through hoops to get a rock solid Vista setup; but that was my choice to not use XP.

Quote:

It's funny. When the R5000 was first released, it was such a great solution. The older Firewire technology (can't even remember the name of the company that produced it) that did the same sort of capture was buggy as hell. The R5000 just plain worked. Fast forward to today and so many people seem to be experiencing issues with it.

post #2266 of 2773 Old 09-02-2009, 10:57 AM

Well... I've been using C-band as my primary entertainment source for about 25 years now. The advantage of C-band 4DTV is you can get your programming a la carte; i.e. you only pay for the channels you actually watch. The annual cost for us ends up being 25% or less of the cost of getting these same channels from either Dish or DirecTV. In addition, the bandwidth allocation on most of these channels is greater on C-band than DBS; i.e. better picture quality. Finally, I chose the HDD200 approach because it has been my experience that the HDD200 is far more reliable than the 4DTV receiver. By putting the USB interface in the HDD200, I can easily switch 4DTV receivers. I have two, so if one has to go in for service, I can simply switch to my backup receiver. No, the HDD200 R5000 interface taps into the primary data stream so you can record all broadcasts, both SD and HD.

The big downside to using the 4DTV receiver was there was no simple way to make scheduled recordings. I had to program the receiver and DVR separately and frequently messed up in one way or another. The R5000 / SageTV approach was a dream come true... that is if it worked reliably. Unfortunately it doesn't, and on shows I really don't want to miss, I still make standalone DVR recordings as a backup for when the SageTV approach fails.
post #2267 of 2773 Old 09-02-2009, 11:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for explaining transco. This might sound like a silly question; but, I honestly dont know... do you really have less 4-5 HD channels to watch anyway on your HDD200?

Quote:

Well... I've been using C-band as my primary entertainment source for about 25 years now. The advantage of C-band 4DTV is you can get your programming a la carte; i.e. you only pay for the channels you actually watch. The annual cost for us ends up being 25% or less of the cost of getting these same channels from either Dish or DirecTV. In addition, the bandwidth allocation on most of these channels is greater on C-band than DBS; i.e. better picture quality. Finally, I chose the HDD200 approach because it has been my experience that the HDD200 is far more reliable than the 4DTV receiver. By putting the USB interface in the HDD200, I can easily switch 4DTV receivers. I have two, so if one has to go in for service, I can simply switch to my backup receiver. No, the HDD200 R5000 interface taps into the primary data stream so you can record all broadcasts, both SD and HD.

The big downside to using the 4DTV receiver was there was no simple way to make scheduled recordings. I had to program the receiver and DVR separately and frequently messed up in one way or another. The R5000 / SageTV approach was a dream come true... that is if it worked reliably. Unfortunately it doesn't, and on shows I really don't want to miss, I still make standalone DVR recordings as a backup for when the SageTV approach fails.

post #2268 of 2773 Old 09-02-2009, 11:35 AM

I'm not sure how many there are. Both HBO and Showtime have 2 HD channels each and Discovery Channel has 1 (that I know of). NASA has a HD feed. There may be others, but these are the only ones I'm familiar with.
post #2269 of 2773 Old 09-02-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure how many there are. Both HBO and Showtime have 2 HD channels each and Discovery Channel has 1 (that I know of). NASA has a HD feed. There may be others, but these are the only ones I'm familiar with.

Cinemax had an East-coast 4DTV HD feed; I'm not sure if they still sell it, though.

It's quite unfortunately impossible for an individual to get an IRD authorized for a service such as HITS Quantum or other CDNs, so the HD selection on big dish is lacking. Which is a shame, because the quality before Dish or a Cableco's recompressing is fantastic.
post #2270 of 2773 Old 09-02-2009, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwer View Post

Cinemax had an East-coast 4DTV HD feed; I'm not sure if they still sell it, though.

It's quite unfortunately impossible for an individual to get an IRD authorized for a service such as HITS Quantum or other CDNs, so the HD selection on big dish is lacking. Which is a shame, because the quality before Dish or a Cableco's recompressing is fantastic.

Why not get it from Starchoice instead? They do ala carte nad have a muhc better selection, and there are several folks who are willing to act as billing intermediaries for you in canada.
post #2271 of 2773 Old 09-02-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post

Why not get it from Starchoice instead? They do ala carte nad have a muhc better selection, and there are several folks who are willing to act as billing intermediaries for you in canada.

Is Shaw Direct (nee StarChoice) any better than Dish Network/DirecTV in not cramming way too many channels into a transponder? Perhaps having more programming options might lessen the pain.

We subscribed to DN nearly three years ago and have watched a steady deterioration in quality as DN strove to become a 'bean count leader' in HD. Nowadays a R5000 HD recording off DN can run as little as 1.5 GB/hr, which sounds and looks pathetic. I picked up a 4DTV receiver and installed a R5000 in hopes of improving quality. It's definitely better.
post #2272 of 2773 Old 09-02-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:

I picked up a 4DTV receiver and installed a R5000 in hopes of improving quality. It's definitely better.

How have you setup the R5000 software: delay for dish, surf mode, resend delay, etc.? How about the SageTV software... do you have it send out the channel information every time, or only when there is a channel change? Had any problems with it recording the wrong channel? Or glitching the recording once it has started?
post #2273 of 2773 Old 09-02-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:

How have you setup the R5000 software: delay for dish, surf mode, resend delay, etc.? How about the SageTV software... do you have it send out the channel information every time, or only when there is a channel change? Had any problems with it recording the wrong channel? Or glitching the recording once it has started?

We're having the same conversation over at Satellite Guys. For others: I have channel changes going out for every recording, compressed recordings, surf mode off and a 5 second dish delay, although the 4DTV can't move the dish on its own. Only one bad channel change in many, many outings. I don't have a HDD box, but I believe modifying the 4DTV receiver instead leads to better reliability. XP is definitely more reliable than Vista. I got Vista to work pretty well, but it never equalled XP. I'm no longer running Vista with R5000s as it had nothing to offer.
post #2274 of 2773 Old 09-04-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the older firewire technology you're referring to, along with it's own separate required computer which they called the AVX1, was the 169time solution. My recollection was that there was no software interface, channel changes needed to be made manually and it was hit and miss.

I've had the R5000 solution since it first came out in 2004 and have had nothing but perfect recordings. I've had it operating with a D* STB, an E* STB and am currently using it with my DCT2000 for recording from Fios. I am using it in conjunction with Sage. The R5000 just continues to produce excellent recordings.

Just passing along my experiences.

Ron
post #2275 of 2773 Old 09-06-2009, 08:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Has anyone been able to get Vista32 Version 31c Multi to work? I'm curious why they would even compile a build (even internally) if it doesnt work at all. Maybe, there's something needed to get it working?

post #2276 of 2773 Old 09-07-2009, 05:49 AM

Quote:

Other than the missed channel changes it sounds like the problems I was having with my starchoice system. (although I did notice a missed channel once).

Transco, do yourself a favor and setup the R5000HD proxy found earlier in this thread. I was missing about 95% of my recordings - it actually got worse over time. Then I started using the proxy program and I have not missed a single recording since then.

It seems that there is a resource leak in their software and the proxy program protects the R5000HD program from responding to all the sage requests and therefore slows the leak way down or avoids it.

The proxy program is the only way to use the R5000HD for me.

Greg
post #2277 of 2773 Old 09-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregveres View Post

Other than the missed channel changes it sounds like the problems I was having with my starchoice system. (although I did notice a missed channel once).

Transco, do yourself a favor and setup the R5000HD proxy found earlier in this thread. I was missing about 95% of my recordings - it actually got worse over time. Then I started using the proxy program and I have not missed a single recording since then.

It seems that there is a resource leak in their software and the proxy program protects the R5000HD program from responding to all the sage requests and therefore slows the leak way down or avoids it.

The proxy program is the only way to use the R5000HD for me.

Greg

Have you tried the latest version? Does anyone know if they incorporated the proxy code?

Brian
post #2278 of 2773 Old 09-10-2009, 07:55 AM

The Nextcom download directory is showing 31c files dated this morning. I'm not sure if they're any different from the last ones, but I would suspect so. The Nextcom website is a little in disarray.
post #2279 of 2773 Old 09-10-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks! I just saw the same version, but didnt look at the dates (thinking its the same thing). I have a feeling they mistakenly put the wrong builds before (which were incomplete alphas) at least for the multi-instance versions. I'll try tonight when I get home. It would be cool if they have working multi-instance versions!

Edit: The Vista32 Multi-instance r5000hd.exe was compiled 7:12:28AM TODAY!!!

This is definitely very new.

Quote:

The Nextcom download directory is showing 31c files dated this morning. I'm not sure if they're any different from the last ones, but I would suspect so. The Nextcom website is a little in disarray.

post #2280 of 2773 Old 09-10-2009, 04:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Multi-version appears to be working! I just upgraded from an existing version with 4 R5000 units, and cleanly upgraded. I restarted without Proxy apps, all is working. I havent tested more than 10 minutes.. but at least its off to a very good start.

Edit: All weird issues related to Vista seem to have disappeared. Also, using all the new features (start with Windows, hide on startup, automatic recovery in case there's an issue).

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page