The Official R5000-HD Technical Status Discussion - Page 85 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2521 of 2773 Old 10-27-2010, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, so this is...strange...

So their tech support guy, JD, was a total jerk to me and acted like I was completely nuts for expecting MCE support. Yet in addition to the MCE support files, it appears they are OFFERING THE SOFTWARE FOR SALE ON THEIR WEBSITE:

They just keep finding new ways to piss me off. I was there looking at the pricing of their SageTV software, and I see the little green button.

is there anybody else at Nextcomwireless I can get in touch with other than this "JD" fellow at r5000support@nextcomwireless.com ?

I'd love true MCE support, and will pay them despite the fact that apparently JD doesn't know what he's talking about, but I really want somebody other than him to deal with. I have a feeling I might just get the big freeze if I try emailing them again.

They really need to get their act together. When is some Chinese company going to clone their hardware already and sell a self-install kit for $49 that will put these guys in their place?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 2773 Old 10-27-2010, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
If you click the link, you will get a "Product not found page". This is because they added MCE support May 12, 2008 and then pulled it because of issues they were having.
post #2523 of 2773 Old 10-27-2010, 11:35 PM

Hmm...and how hard is it to take it out of their catalog? I mean, they've had two years...

Bah, I just need to get over the chip on my shoulder, give them their $50 for sageTV, and move on.

I ended up buying a barebones eeeBox EB1012 (the one with the dual-core Atom 330), 4GB ram, and a 250GB, 7200RPM HDD. I also have a 750GB eSATA drive that I'll use for the DVR functions. I hope this has the horsepower to work pretty flawlessly. Cost about $280, all told. Not bad for what you get, I don't think.
post #2524 of 2773 Old 11-25-2010, 01:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does anyone have a pristine condition R5000 modded VIP211 that they want to sell to me at a great price? The R5000 addon would need to be modded by Nextcom. I'm looking for one that's in mint condition.. to match the rest of my setup.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+ OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #2525 of 2773 Old 11-28-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

I'm curious what Motorola DCP501 owners are going to do when Comcast kicks these boxes off their network. I just received a letter from Comcast saying both my 501's stop working mid-june.

Quote:

Pretty regularly, when I change to a channel or watch live TV (via SageTV) from a random cablebox (doesn't matter which modem/brand). I will see a longer than normal pause, then I will see streamed video/audio from the last channel that box was tuned on from a previous recording. No matter what channel I change to, that random box will just pause (like its changing the IR channel), then just stream the same channel it was on. The only way I know how to stop this is to unplug the cablebox and replug it back in (there's probably an easier way to do it). This doesnt have to do with IRtiming; as I dont think IR commands are even making it to the box; or at least the box is not responding to IR request anymore.

Well, I got the letter and phone call back in February and they said by June my two DCP501's were no longer going to work on Comcast. June came and went. However, about a month ago I started getting a strange behavior out of both of my DCP501's that is exactly what MKANET mentions above. Every 1 - 4 days they still stream to SageTV great, but they no longer change channels. I have to unplug both of them and plug them back in (then turn them on since they do not come on by themselves), and also reboot my WHS server (I can sometimes get away without the server reboot, but most of the time I have to do it too). After this all is well again, and they work fine for 1 - 4 days until they stop changing channels again.

Also, I have noticed that the current channel does not appear on the front display of either of the DCP501's anymore. Just to check I moved one the the DCP501's to a TV and plugged it in as a cable box. I got sound (if I remember correctly) but no picture, just snow. It looks like something has changed pretty drastically in the box, maybe from a push by Comcast.

They still work great until they stop changing channels again, then the process has to be repeated. This is really a pain in the neck when I am traveling and the system is stuck on one channel on each box and they just keep recording that channel for what ever channel is requested. Since it happens often, this has really become a show stopper.

MKANET have you, or anyone else, found a solution to this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #2526 of 2773 Old 11-28-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

I dont think it's comcast; or it wouldnt work consistently for several days. The date you mention is consistent with the last R5000 software release. the same thing happens on my cable boxes that arent 501's. Unless youre still using XP and an old version of the software. PM me. Some things are better to chat via PM.

Edit: To make a long story short, I'm convinced the problem has to do with the latest significant change in the R5000 software/drivers which forces continuous streaming between the box and your USB hub. The way to fix it is to email r5000support@nextcomwireless.com and ask them to make continuous streaming optional. Continuous streaming does more harm than good on many systems. I have already emailed them. But, as expected, they ignored my email; as, apparently, responses from R5000 tech support is optional.

SageTV:

post #2527 of 2773 Old 12-11-2010, 06:40 PM

I've had my R5000-HD for about 3 years now and it's always worked great. However, now, on some channels such as SyFy and Animal Planet, I'm getting sound but no picture on both HD and SD version. The R5000 app says, "parse failed to get stream type, assuming MPEG", which I assume is the problem (i.e. it thinks it's a steam type other than it is) but I'm not finding ANY information on how to resolve that. I'm going to sift through the 85 pages and _more_ Google searches but I thought I would just post here in case this is a simple issue that y'all have experience with.

TIA.
post #2528 of 2773 Old 12-17-2010, 07:06 AM

Dish is changing the format of some of their transport streams and the old Nextcom software is not able to recognize this. The latest build of the 3.1d software should fix your problem. However if you're running on 3.0 (any version), be careful because 3.1 causes serious headaches in certain configurations.
post #2529 of 2773 Old 12-17-2010, 08:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks Pendragonsound. As for me, I dont see any performance or stability related issues specific to version 3.1d or 3.0c with cableTV. With sageTV 7, I no longer need Hugo's proxy app. The only issue I have (specific to Comcast+Vista/Win7); where after about a week or so, regardless of cablebox type, the cableboxes will no longer be able to change channels via R5000 IR commands. This issue was easier to fix that I thought. I just plugged in a power timer to powercycle the boxes twice a week (monday/thursday at 4am). This doesnt affect the R5000 app/drivers/sageTV whatsoever; they invisibly recover instantly with no error messages or prompts.

I prefer 3.0c over 3.1d only because I like to see which one of my 4 cableboxes is actively recording/streaming at a glance to my Windows desktop (4 system tray icons):

With 3.1d, there's no telling if something is recording or not since there's only one icon to represent all 4 devices; plus, all 4 devices would be uselessly streaming anyway on the last channel that was recorded.

So, unless you're using a 64 bit OS or need support for dishnetwork's new transport streams, 3.0c is still the best option in my opinion. The only thing I had to do was make a small change so that I dont get prompted to upgrade to version 3.1c every time the 3.0c app starts up.

-Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonsound View Post

Dish is changing the format of some of their transport streams and the old Nextcom software is not able to recognize this. The latest build of the 3.1d software should fix your problem. However if you're running on 3.0 (any version), be careful because 3.1 causes serious headaches in certain configurations.

SageTV:

post #2530 of 2773 Old 12-17-2010, 03:44 PM

WHAT THE $#%#. I've been running some old "build". Didn't realize that the same version 3.1d download would just turn into a new version on some random date, a least the file name would change to say it was newer!

I've have the no video problem many times and thought it was some random error, ERrr..

Anyway, does anyone know definitively how to repair a previous "bad" recording?? If I run one through tsMuxerGUI it does make the video come back for media center, but the audio is way off sync??

Thanks
post #2531 of 2773 Old 12-19-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:

I found this same problem. I ended up repointing one of my dishes @ the 77.7 sat. It was all channels on 129 having that problem. However, I realized after the fact that the demux from sage 7 can handle those streams even when the r5000 app doesn't recognize the stream. I'm now using the sage 7 demux in sage 6.6.
post #2532 of 2773 Old 12-19-2010, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I haven't been recording too much from dish but I have the last three or four weeks of Burn Notice from USA network. None of these would play directly on a Popcorn Hour. I use 3.0d of the R5000 recorder software with the dish aimed at the 77 Deg satellite. They can be fixed to play OK with TsRemuxer. The lipsync looks about as good as any other file. A one hour file takes about 5 min.
John
post #2533 of 2773 Old 12-22-2010, 12:02 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I am running 3.1d on Widows 7 Professional - 64bit. I have a nextcom modded VIP-211 Dish satellite box. I am almost always get the "parse failed to get stream type - assuming MPEG-2" message. Playing these recordings, there is audio, but no video. In Win7 directory the file type is listed as MPEG-2 TS stream. I'm sure dish is compressing more then MPEG-2, so the files are probably MPEG-4. Is there a way to just change the extension? Would that work? Win XP explorer it was easy to change the ext of a file, but Win7 doesn't seem to even want to let me "see" the extension. Is there a way around that? Thanks - PK
post #2534 of 2773 Old 12-22-2010, 01:49 PM

An issue I've had since I purchase my R-5000 with Sage TV - has been to get Sage TV to work. I always get the message "Sage TV waiting for connection on port 6969..."
Is this a port issue, and how do I configure the/a port for Sage TV in Windows 7 ? Is this the same port as the Nextcom USB? Thanks - PK
post #2535 of 2773 Old 12-22-2010, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Try downloading and installing the version of 3.1d that is now on the Nextcom website and see if it works better.
John
post #2536 of 2773 Old 12-22-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdish View Post

Try downloading and installing the version of 3.1d that is now on the Nextcom website and see if it works better.
John

Are there recent changes to 3.1d? I would think they'd give it a differnt number - 3.1e. I will try that, it looks like I downloaded 3.1d on 3/11/10. Thanks.

P.S. - Okay, I tried it and I now have version 3.1d - build 5. Build 5 was released 05/24/10. Hopefully that will fix the parsing issue. Thanks again for your help, but I'm still trying to get Sage TV. Following the Nextcom instructions for Sage TV it says to edit some files in C:\\Sage TV. I do not have a Sage TV folder anywhere on my computer. Looking at the Sage TV web site, they do not list the R-5000HD. Do I just download a version (which one?) and use my password/id from Nextcom? Any idead? Thanks - PK
post #2537 of 2773 Old 12-28-2010, 09:49 AM

Does anybody have the R5000 software working under windows7 64?

I really want to upgrade my server to windows 7 64bit release but I just realized that I don't know if the R5000 driver will work. Has anybody had any success?

Thanks
Greg
post #2538 of 2773 Old 12-28-2010, 10:58 AM

Sorry - I can't say. It's extremely stable on my Win7 32-bit HTPC with SageTV.
post #2539 of 2773 Old 12-28-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppyman View Post

Sorry - I can't say. It's extremely stable on my Win7 32-bit HTPC with SageTV.

Thanks. Are you using the Vista version from the website then?

Greg
post #2540 of 2773 Old 12-28-2010, 01:31 PM

I think so. To be honest, I did so much going back and forth between Nextcom and SageTV about a year ago, I'm not positive exactly what I have. It HD-PVR says its 3.1d but I see there is newer release of that. I too get the "parse failed to get stream type assuming MPEG-2" but the recordings play in Sage and will edit in VideoReDo.

Right now - the system just works and has for about a year.
post #2541 of 2773 Old 12-28-2010, 02:05 PM

Just updated to the latest 3.1d. Held my breath and ran the new install (after backing up the current install first). After the install, I rebooted and tried recording and all is well. No more error message - recognizes the dish signal correctly now.
post #2542 of 2773 Old 12-30-2010, 09:02 AM

I would really appreciate any suggestions to help me with the problem I'm having with R5000-HD. I am currently using it with Dish 622, running the latest software 3.1d (build 5) on Windows XP. I recently switched to this latest software. For a long time, I ran the 3.0 version and it worked fairly reliably for channel switching and recording. Until...I started having the problem (mentioned here) with recording sound but no picture on certain channels.

So I upgraded to 3.1d, and it did solve the recording sound/no picture problem. However, I cannot get it to change channels reliably. This software version has the "tweaks" section, and I tweaked and tweaked, tried different delays, different pre-codes, but the best setting I could find seems to change channels correctly about 50% of the time (or worse).

Anyone else using the 622 having this problem? Any suggestions on making it work better? I would be so grateful for some help, because this is really frustrating. The recordings I get are excellent...when it changes to the correct channel. Thanks!
post #2543 of 2773 Old 12-30-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Hi Cosdog, it doesnt sound like the problem is related to timing. I would leave the tweaks section black; at their defaults.

I have a feeling the video is included in the media that was recoded; however, the demuxer used to playback the file (in whatever software you use to playback isn't able to find the video stream). What software are you using to watch your recordings? I know of 3 people that use their R5000 modded dish network boxs along with SageTV with great success. SageTV seems to be very popular amongst R5000 users. I actually got SageTV long before I ever had R5000's. So, it made perfect sense to add R5000 modded boxes to my setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosdog View Post
I would really appreciate any suggestions to help me with the problem I'm having with R5000-HD. I am currently using it with Dish 622, running the latest software 3.1d (build 5) on Windows XP. I recently switched to this latest software. For a long time, I ran the 3.0 version and it worked fairly reliably for channel switching and recording. Until...I started having the problem (mentioned here) with recording sound but no picture on certain channels.

So I upgraded to 3.1d, and it did solve the recording sound/no picture problem. However, I cannot get it to change channels reliably. This software version has the "tweaks" section, and I tweaked and tweaked, tried different delays, different pre-codes, but the best setting I could find seems to change channels correctly about 50% of the time (or worse).

Anyone else using the 622 having this problem? Any suggestions on making it work better? I would be so grateful for some help, because this is really frustrating. The recordings I get are excellent...when it changes to the correct channel. Thanks!

SageTV:

post #2544 of 2773 Old 12-30-2010, 11:21 AM

Thanks for your response MKANET!

I use Windows Media Center in Windows 7 to play back my recordings. I schedule them through Titan TV with the Nextcom PVR software on the Windows XP computer that I use pretty much only for the r5000 (sorry, should have mentioned that in my first post). Then I play the files back over my network, and that part of things works just fine. As I mentioned, the 3.1d software did solve the problem with the black recordings. What I am hoping to do is make the r5000 more reliable in changing channels on the Dish receiver.

Is it possible that SageTV might help with that...be more reliable in changing channels? I could try that...although I would prefer to get my existing setup to work better, since I'd have pay for both SageTV and the Nextcom software for it. Thanks again for the help!
post #2545 of 2773 Old 12-30-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Ahh.. okay that makes sense. Yes, now I remember... the new R5000 software 3.1d knows how to handle the new DishNetwork files correctly (per what I've heard from other Dishnetwork users).

Can you be very specific as to what kind of channel changing issue you have? When the channel is supposed to change... can you take a close look to see what's really happening on your satellite box's LED display when it fails? I have personally witnessed a certain type of an issue (timing related) where the channel numbers arent send to the satellite box timely. So, there are these weird pauses between digits... causing issues like changing the channel to 83, instead of 783; and, if the two digit channel isn't a valid channel, it will revert back to the last channel the satellite box was on.

If your issue is somehow timing related, then using sagetV wont make a difference; as, sageTV depends on the R5000 DVR software as well.

What does your R5000 USB cable connect to? Is it a standalone powered hub? If so, which one? What kind of motherboard (and respective chipset) are you using? For example, I'm using an Intel ICH8 chipset and respective USB host controller.

-Michael

I use Windows Media Center in Windows 7 to play back my recordings. I schedule them through Titan TV with the Nextcom PVR software on the Windows XP computer that I use pretty much only for the r5000 (sorry, should have mentioned that in my first post). Then I play the files back over my network, and that part of things works just fine. As I mentioned, the 3.1d software did solve the problem with the black recordings. What I am hoping to do is make the r5000 more reliable in changing channels on the Dish receiver.

Is it possible that SageTV might help with that...be more reliable in changing channels? I could try that...although I would prefer to get my existing setup to work better, since I'd have pay for both SageTV and the Nextcom software for it. Thanks again for the help![/quote]

SageTV:

post #2546 of 2773 Old 12-30-2010, 02:06 PM

Thanks again MKANET....

I have watched it try to change channels, and what I see is very much like you describe. It's very random...sometimes it misses the first number, sometimes the second or third. So only a one or two digit channel number goes to the receiver, and it switches to the wrong channel. I've tried longer and shorter delays between numbers through the r5000 software...some changes make it worse, and only one (1000ms delay) makes it so it works some of the time.

I'm not sure about the chipset/USB controller on my computer...but I can say it's a rather old Shuttle computer, and in fact, the USB has been somewhat glitchy (I haven't used any sort of hub, just plugged directly into the computer USB input with no other devices attached). With that in mind, your last message inspired me to try installing the r5000 software on another newer computer (the Windows 7 computer I use for playback). But I'm not sure it's any better. I've been testing this by setting up an event in the PVR software, and then watching the results. On this new computer, it seems like it's a little better...but many of my tests failed in exactly the same way as they did on the older computer. But I'm going to try to let it go through a few scheduled events and see how that works.
post #2547 of 2773 Old 12-30-2010, 03:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, unfortunately, thats exactly what I thought was the problem. The reason I asked you for details on your setup is because I'm trying to find out if the cause is hardware, software, or a certain condition which interferes with USB-> IR communication. I think we can rule out USB chipsets/hubs since I've seen this on even on one of the most common Intel based USB host controller chipsets.

What I didnt tell you is I have seen this problem on my own machine. However, for me, either the problem happens or it goes away completely. I was successful in getting rid of the problem for several months without a hitch by upgrading to 3.1d of the R5000 software + the proxy app mentioned in this lengthy thread. However, I also unloaded several apps that were running in memory that I didnt need as well as disable/unload Windows services that I completely didnt use.

My latest theory is that the problem might be related to how much unused physical RAM is available for the R5000 drivers/DVR software (after all Windows services and apps are fully loaded and running in memory). However, I also think that hugo's proxy app may have something to do with this as well.

PM me; and I'll point you to the proxy app; with directions on how to use it. In the meantime, whichever PC you choose, try stripping down (unloading) all apps and Windows services that you absolutely dont use. XP with 4GB of RAM would be ideal. If youre using Windows 7; you may consider temporarily disabling superfetch ...at least for testing purposes.

-Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosdog View Post

Thanks again MKANET....

I have watched it try to change channels, and what I see is very much like you describe. It's very random...sometimes it misses the first number, sometimes the second or third. So only a one or two digit channel number goes to the receiver, and it switches to the wrong channel. I've tried longer and shorter delays between numbers through the r5000 software...some changes make it worse, and only one (1000ms delay) makes it so it works some of the time.

I'm not sure about the chipset/USB controller on my computer...but I can say it's a rather old Shuttle computer, and in fact, the USB has been somewhat glitchy (I haven't used any sort of hub, just plugged directly into the computer USB input with no other devices attached). With that in mind, your last message inspired me to try installing the r5000 software on another newer computer (the Windows 7 computer I use for playback). But I'm not sure it's any better. I've been testing this by setting up an event in the PVR software, and then watching the results. On this new computer, it seems like it's a little better...but many of my tests failed in exactly the same way as they did on the older computer. But I'm going to try to let it go through a few scheduled events and see how that works.

SageTV:

post #2548 of 2773 Old 12-30-2010, 05:36 PM

cosdog,

You can most likely fix your problem with the tweaks. Here's my current settings. Note that I'm using the post code and changing channels using the guide to avoid issues when channels go away or for sports channels that I don't always get, etc.

IR Inter-Digit Delay: 250 ms
New Stream Delay: 2000 ms
IR Pre-Code: ok 1000 guide 750 post=ok

Here's a link to one of my earlier posts in this thread with more explanation:
post #2549 of 2773 Old 12-30-2010, 05:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Boiler, I actually tried those tweak a long time ago.. they dont really work for this issue since every time the lag in IR commands are different. I've been successful in getting rid of the issue for several months without any tweaks or extra delays.. with the software/drivers operating the way they should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler11 View Post

cosdog,

You can most likely fix your problem with the tweaks. Here's my current settings. Note that I'm using the post code and changing channels using the guide to avoid issues when channels go away or for sports channels that I don't always get, etc.

IR Inter-Digit Delay: 250 ms
New Stream Delay: 2000 ms
IR Pre-Code: ok 1000 guide 750 post=ok

Here's a link to one of my earlier posts in this thread with more explanation:

SageTV:

post #2550 of 2773 Old 12-30-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:

Boiler, I actually tried those tweak a long time ago.. they dont really work for this issue since every time the lag in IR commands are different. I've been successful in getting rid of the issue for several months without any tweaks or extra delays.. with the software/drivers operating the way they should.

Ok maybe it doesn't help you, but my problem is exactly as cosdog describes:

Quote:

It's very random...sometimes it misses the first number, sometimes the second or third. So only a one or two digit channel number goes to the receiver, and it switches to the wrong channel.

And, I have dish, and making those delays to small immediately brings back bad channel changes. I spent hours messing with those values ... trying to get them as low as possible. I've had them set that way for a long time now without any missed channel changes.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page