The Official R5000-HD Technical Status Discussion - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

Old 11-18-2016, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I can also confirm that C1382 is a very common failure source in the Dish ViP 211 receivers. Between my three units and a couple a friend owns, I've replaced something like 8 of these caps over a 10 year period.

But you may encounter other capacitor failures, some of which cause complete loss of functionality, while others may reveal minimal, if any symptoms. Not all will manifest themselves as 'bulging'. During one nasty case, I desoldered nearly all of the electrolytic capacitors in one receiver and found more than half of these to have failed. As many of these were probably serving only as bypass caps, only a few were directly causing problems.

I keep on hand a good collection of the following values for ViP 211 receivers:

2200 µF 10V (as previously noted)
10 µF 16V
10 µF 50V
100 µF 16V
Solfan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2016, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought an HDD200 (=outboard HD decoder for certain SD cable/sat receivers) with R5000HD mod installed recently from someone in order to secure a spare R5000HD mod. While the USB R5000HD board in this HDD200 looks the same as the ones in my dct2000 cable boxes, the secondary serial board found in my dct2000 cable marked s2p 1.0 is missing in the HDD200! How is it that this board is unnecessary in the HDD200? The main USB R5000HD boards have the exact same date and revision number so I do not think it is a case of consolidation of functionality into the USB board.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guho View Post
I bought an HDD200 (=outboard HD decoder for certain SD cable/sat receivers) with R5000HD mod installed recently from someone in order to secure a spare R5000HD mod. While the USB R5000HD board in this HDD200 looks the same as the ones in my dct2000 cable boxes, the secondary serial board found in my dct2000 cable marked s2p 1.0 is missing in the HDD200! How is it that this board is unnecessary in the HDD200? The main USB R5000HD boards have the exact same date and revision number so I do not think it is a case of consolidation of functionality into the USB board.
Different STB's exposed the signal in different ways, so they required different electronics to grab it. In the case of the ViP, I believe the daughterboard essentially converts the serial signal that was on the board to a parallel signal that the R-5000HD takes in, then transmits to the computer. The DCT boxes instead exposed it as parallel already, so only the R5000HD board was required. If I remember right, the ViP mods were more expensive than the cable box ones.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have had a series of R5000 mods. The first two were in a Dish 6000 and an HDD200. Neither had the second board. I later got the mod in a Dish 211 and a Starchoice receiver. Both have the second board. I guess the second board was found to be necessary for the newer receivers.
John
Old 01-09-2017, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Two R5000-HD modded Dish VIP-211s for sale in near future.

Hi,

I have two Dish VIP-211s with the R5000-HD modification. I just canceled my Dish account.

I have to wait 30 days to find out what my un-returned equipment fee will be. Dish confirmed if I don't return the boxes and pay the un-returned equipment fee that they will become "purchased" boxes and can then be re-activated on another account.

Is anyone interested in purchasing them?

Thanks,
Sean
Old 01-23-2017, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
PM sent.
Old Today, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by swSteve View Post
Just a heads up

With a friend's help I was able to repair
two dead Dish VIP211 R5000HD units

Both units would repeatedly
crash and restart.
It got to the point where they were unable to boot.

In both cases, Capacitor C1382 was bulging.
( 10volt 2200uF )

That caused the 2.6 Volt power regulator circuit
to fall below operational limits to around 2.5 Volts

We installed a quality 25Volt 2200uF replacement
made by NICHICON JAPAN from DigiKey and
the voltage returned to 2.6

Both receivers are now running fine.

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonsound View Post
I can also confirm that C1382 is a very common failure source in the Dish ViP 211 receivers. Between my three units and a couple a friend owns, I've replaced something like 8 of these caps over a 10 year period.

But you may encounter other capacitor failures, some of which cause complete loss of functionality, while others may reveal minimal, if any symptoms. Not all will manifest themselves as 'bulging'. During one nasty case, I desoldered nearly all of the electrolytic capacitors in one receiver and found more than half of these to have failed. As many of these were probably serving only as bypass caps, only a few were directly causing problems.

I keep on hand a good collection of the following values for ViP 211 receivers:

2200 µF 10V (as previously noted)
10 µF 16V
10 µF 50V
100 µF 16V

A treasure trove of valuable info here, thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement