The Official R5000-HD Technical Status Discussion - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #2791 of 2814 Old 11-18-2016, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I can also confirm that C1382 is a very common failure source in the Dish ViP 211 receivers. Between my three units and a couple a friend owns, I've replaced something like 8 of these caps over a 10 year period.

But you may encounter other capacitor failures, some of which cause complete loss of functionality, while others may reveal minimal, if any symptoms. Not all will manifest themselves as 'bulging'. During one nasty case, I desoldered nearly all of the electrolytic capacitors in one receiver and found more than half of these to have failed. As many of these were probably serving only as bypass caps, only a few were directly causing problems.

I keep on hand a good collection of the following values for ViP 211 receivers:

2200 µF 10V (as previously noted)
10 µF 16V
10 µF 50V
100 µF 16V
Solfan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 2814 Old 11-25-2016, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought an HDD200 (=outboard HD decoder for certain SD cable/sat receivers) with R5000HD mod installed recently from someone in order to secure a spare R5000HD mod. While the USB R5000HD board in this HDD200 looks the same as the ones in my dct2000 cable boxes, the secondary serial board found in my dct2000 cable marked s2p 1.0 is missing in the HDD200! How is it that this board is unnecessary in the HDD200? The main USB R5000HD boards have the exact same date and revision number so I do not think it is a case of consolidation of functionality into the USB board.
post #2793 of 2814 Old 11-25-2016, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guho View Post
I bought an HDD200 (=outboard HD decoder for certain SD cable/sat receivers) with R5000HD mod installed recently from someone in order to secure a spare R5000HD mod. While the USB R5000HD board in this HDD200 looks the same as the ones in my dct2000 cable boxes, the secondary serial board found in my dct2000 cable marked s2p 1.0 is missing in the HDD200! How is it that this board is unnecessary in the HDD200? The main USB R5000HD boards have the exact same date and revision number so I do not think it is a case of consolidation of functionality into the USB board.
Different STB's exposed the signal in different ways, so they required different electronics to grab it. In the case of the ViP, I believe the daughterboard essentially converts the serial signal that was on the board to a parallel signal that the R-5000HD takes in, then transmits to the computer. The DCT boxes instead exposed it as parallel already, so only the R5000HD board was required. If I remember right, the ViP mods were more expensive than the cable box ones.

post #2794 of 2814 Old 11-25-2016, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have had a series of R5000 mods. The first two were in a Dish 6000 and an HDD200. Neither had the second board. I later got the mod in a Dish 211 and a Starchoice receiver. Both have the second board. I guess the second board was found to be necessary for the newer receivers.
John
post #2795 of 2814 Old 01-09-2017, 11:11 AM

Two R5000-HD modded Dish VIP-211s for sale in near future.

Hi,

I have two Dish VIP-211s with the R5000-HD modification. I just canceled my Dish account.

I have to wait 30 days to find out what my un-returned equipment fee will be. Dish confirmed if I don't return the boxes and pay the un-returned equipment fee that they will become "purchased" boxes and can then be re-activated on another account.

Is anyone interested in purchasing them?

Thanks,
Sean
post #2796 of 2814 Old 01-23-2017, 02:56 PM

PM sent.
post #2797 of 2814 Old 02-14-2017, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by swSteve View Post
Just a heads up

With a friend's help I was able to repair
two dead Dish VIP211 R5000HD units

Both units would repeatedly
crash and restart.
It got to the point where they were unable to boot.

In both cases, Capacitor C1382 was bulging.
( 10volt 2200uF )

That caused the 2.6 Volt power regulator circuit
to fall below operational limits to around 2.5 Volts

We installed a quality 25Volt 2200uF replacement
made by NICHICON JAPAN from DigiKey and
the voltage returned to 2.6

Both receivers are now running fine.

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonsound View Post
I can also confirm that C1382 is a very common failure source in the Dish ViP 211 receivers. Between my three units and a couple a friend owns, I've replaced something like 8 of these caps over a 10 year period.

But you may encounter other capacitor failures, some of which cause complete loss of functionality, while others may reveal minimal, if any symptoms. Not all will manifest themselves as 'bulging'. During one nasty case, I desoldered nearly all of the electrolytic capacitors in one receiver and found more than half of these to have failed. As many of these were probably serving only as bypass caps, only a few were directly causing problems.

I keep on hand a good collection of the following values for ViP 211 receivers:

2200 µF 10V (as previously noted)
10 µF 16V
10 µF 50V
100 µF 16V

A treasure trove of valuable info here, thanks guys!

post #2798 of 2814 Old 03-01-2017, 10:53 AM

I just had my 211 die on me. Where can I get a schematic of it so I can find which caps you're talking about?

Also, does anybody know of anyone that fixes them? I have 2 that's dead.

Thanks
post #2799 of 2814 Old 03-02-2017, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I doubt you will find a schematic. The Caps are all labeled on the top of the board. You might need a bright light and maybe a magnifying glass.
The board is a good heat sink which makes soldering a little difficult. Not a job for a first time soldering project using a cheap soldering iron.
John
post #2800 of 2814 Old 03-02-2017, 09:56 AM

Thanks John,
I'm mediocre at soldering. I'll try and fix it myself but I'd prefer to pay an expert to do it.
If anybody want to sell your VIP211 please let me know.
Rick
post #2801 of 2814 Old 03-07-2017, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have at least one maybe two i would consider parting with. Both are Vip211, were working fine when i got a better deal from the cable co and cancelled dish but have been on the shelf for a few years now. Both are owned free and clear. Not sure of their value, but i would entertain offers
post #2802 of 2814 Old 03-13-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrcp2000 View Post
I have at least one maybe two i would consider parting with. Both are Vip211, were working fine when i got a better deal from the cable co and cancelled dish but have been on the shelf for a few years now. Both are owned free and clear. Not sure of their value, but i would entertain offers
Great btrcp2000,
Please contact me at searcher <at> ameritech <dot> net
post #2803 of 2814 Old 04-14-2017, 11:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

R5000-HD: Media Player; Windows 7

How do I install, setup and configure the R5000-HD Media Player to monitor the incoming satellite program and a recording in progress?

The Media Player can be used to play most major media file types (mpeg-2, transport stream, avi, etc). The screen icon on the right creates a live preview window of the incoming satellite program. This can be active while a recording is in progress, but only in the "Disk Only" mode. The preview window cannot be created while recording to tape.

Seperatley, is the software fully functional in Windows 7 or only XP/Vista?

Thanks in advance.

Murray

Murray Kerdman
post #2804 of 2814 Old 04-17-2017, 02:02 PM

I have a Shaw Direct DSR505 with the R5000 mod. Shaw Direct has started a transition to MPEG4 (which the DSR505 doesn't support), so the DSR505 will slowly be turned into a paperweight as the channels gradually transition over to MPEG4. I think the transition is scheduled to be complete by 2019.

I've decommissioned the DSR505 and replaced it with a newer receiver. I'm using an HDMI capture solution now, since the R5000 mod will not work with any other Shaw Direct receivers.

Is the R5000 mod inside the receiver of value to anyone? I don't know if the R5000 mods are universal or not. Perhaps it can work in a satellite receiver from another provider?
post #2805 of 2814 Old 04-17-2017, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What HDMI Capture Solution are you using?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Murray Kerdman
post #2806 of 2814 Old 04-17-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerdman View Post
What HDMI Capture Solution are you using?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's a Unisheen BM3000-HDMI. I purchased it from Aliexpress, they come straight from China. It's clever how it works. It's a device with an HDMI port an an ethernet port. It automatically encodes the HDMI input to H.264, and makes it available over the network.

I use SageTV as my DVR software, and there is an excellent plugin for it called OpenDCT that supports this device. A few downsides to this device:

-Stereo only, no 5.1
-There are several models (BM1000, BM1500, BM3000, BM3500) that each support various features. The one I have can provide higher bitrates (up to 32mbps), but the only picture setting you can set is contrast. Other picture settings like brightness, colour, tint, and saturation can't be set. I believe the BM1000 supports these picture settings, but it is also a lower bitrate.
-The quality is slightly less than the R5000 mod. This is to be expected since it has to re-encode the signal. It's acceptable, but definitely noticeable. Shaw Direct already over compresses everything, so I was doing a lot of A/B testing between this and the R5000.

On the plus side:

-I could never get my computer to reliably use sleep mode with the R5000. Not a problem with this new device.
-The R5000 just captures the raw stream, so if the GOP/timeline packets are messed up, it ruined playback on SageTV extenders unless you corrected the stream. I would run any broken files through VideoRedo's quick stream fix. This couldn't be run until the file was finished recording though. So if the show is 2 hours long, and the timeline is messed up 10 minutes in, you have to wait until the show is over to fix it (and then watch it). No problems at all with the BM3000 in this regard.
-Gapless playback on SageTV. With the R5000, every time a show ended, it had to reinitialize the stream. This would also take a few seconds. The BM3000 doesn't have this problem, and the transition between shows is seamless.
-The device can encode multiple streams at once (I think up to 4 on my model). So you can have one high bitrate 1080p stream, and a lower bitrate 720p stream at the same time. It's the same video, just different bitrates/resolutions.

So some good and some bad. Overall I like it though. I've been using one of these for about 6 weeks and no problems other than those I listed above. I just installed a 2nd one earlier today (when I decommissioned the DSR505).
post #2807 of 2814 Old 04-17-2017, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
It's a Unisheen BM3000-HDMI. I purchased it from Aliexpress, they come straight from China. It's clever how it works. It's a device with an HDMI port an an ethernet port. It automatically encodes the HDMI input to H.264, and makes it available over the network.

I use SageTV as my DVR software, and there is an excellent plugin for it called OpenDCT that supports this device. A few downsides to this device:

-Stereo only, no 5.1
-There are several models (BM1000, BM1500, BM3000, BM3500) that each support various features. The one I have can provide higher bitrates (up to 32mbps), but the only picture setting you can set is contrast. Other picture settings like brightness, colour, tint, and saturation can't be set. I believe the BM1000 supports these picture settings, but it is also a lower bitrate.
-The quality is slightly less than the R5000 mod. This is to be expected since it has to re-encode the signal. It's acceptable, but definitely noticeable. Shaw Direct already over compresses everything, so I was doing a lot of A/B testing between this and the R5000.

On the plus side:

-I could never get my computer to reliably use sleep mode with the R5000. Not a problem with this new device.
-The R5000 just captures the raw stream, so if the GOP/timeline packets are messed up, it ruined playback on SageTV extenders unless you corrected the stream. I would run any broken files through VideoRedo's quick stream fix. This couldn't be run until the file was finished recording though. So if the show is 2 hours long, and the timeline is messed up 10 minutes in, you have to wait until the show is over to fix it (and then watch it). No problems at all with the BM3000 in this regard.
-Gapless playback on SageTV. With the R5000, every time a show ended, it had to reinitialize the stream. This would also take a few seconds. The BM3000 doesn't have this problem, and the transition between shows is seamless.
-The device can encode multiple streams at once (I think up to 4 on my model). So you can have one high bitrate 1080p stream, and a lower bitrate 720p stream at the same time. It's the same video, just different bitrates/resolutions.

So some good and some bad. Overall I like it though. I've been using one of these for about 6 weeks and no problems other than those I listed above. I just installed a 2nd one earlier today (when I decommissioned the DSR505).
Thanks very much for the input.

Murray Kerdman
post #2808 of 2814 Old 04-18-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:

-Stereo only, no 5.1

On the plus side:

Sage TV? Didn't Google dump it?

Anyway, Can your device handle HDCP? I have a HDMI recorder that records to a USB flash drive or hard drive. It can handle HDCP but the files are limited to 2 Gigs or about 30 minutes recording. Then it starts a new file and there's a few seconds of video lost between files. Does your system have the same problem?

Also, My recorder has some trouble with my Nvidia video card. How stable is yours when you connect it to your computer?
post #2809 of 2814 Old 04-18-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher2 View Post
Sage TV? Didn't Google dump it?

Anyway, Can your device handle HDCP? I have a HDMI recorder that records to a USB flash drive or hard drive. It can handle HDCP but the files are limited to 2 Gigs or about 30 minutes recording. Then it starts a new file and there's a few seconds of video lost between files. Does your system have the same problem?

Also, My recorder has some trouble with my Nvidia video card. How stable is yours when you connect it to your computer?
SageTV went open source, so there have been updates to it since Google bought it.

The device handles HDCP no problem. No copy protection or anything. It's like the HDCP isn't even there

I've recorded a few 2 hour plus shows/movies without any problems. No segmenting of the recordings at all.

It's been very stable. Since it's a network device, there really isn't a driver for it on your computer. It literally is just a live video stream at a URL: http://192.168.1.168/0.ts SageTV and OpenDCT handle this URL as an input.

Note that the device doesn't come with any recording software. You need a compatible program to record the streams such as SageTV (I think VLC can record them as well).
post #2810 of 2814 Old 06-15-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I have a Shaw Direct DSR505 with the R5000 mod. Shaw Direct has started a transition to MPEG4 (which the DSR505 doesn't support), so the DSR505 will slowly be turned into a paperweight as the channels gradually transition over to MPEG4. I think the transition is scheduled to be complete by 2019.

I've decommissioned the DSR505 and replaced it with a newer receiver. I'm using an HDMI capture solution now, since the R5000 mod will not work with any other Shaw Direct receivers.

Is the R5000 mod inside the receiver of value to anyone? I don't know if the R5000 mods are universal or not. Perhaps it can work in a satellite receiver from another provider?
I check this thread infrequently, but there may still be a few points worth mentioning. R5000s work in Shaw 600 series receivers, and are compatible with their MPEG4 conversion. However a R5000 requires minor modifications to make it function with these receivers and of course one has to reinstall it, which requires some skill. Furthermore the Nextcom software supplied for Windows does not work out of the box with the 600 series receivers, but it can be hacked.

A few people have replaced the Nextcom software on Windows with open source rewrites for Sage. I have not tried those as I am converting everything I run with Sage to Linux.

I am very familiar with the two problems you mentioned specific to the R5000 on Windows: (1) garbled timestamps that require remuxing to fix, and (2) gap problems when programs transition. Both of these problems are strictly bugs/limitations in the Nextcom software, not the hardware or Shaw streams. I do not experience either with my Linux R5000 software.
post #2811 of 2814 Old 06-16-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonsound View Post
A few people have replaced the Nextcom software on Windows with open source rewrites for Sage.
I sold my R5000 boxes, but I'm curios what the alternate software is. Would you mind sharing a link?
post #2812 of 2814 Old 06-16-2017, 07:11 AM

There is discussion here, and I believe a link to a download:

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64094

I recall there was at least one other person working on a R5000 network encoder for Windows, but I don't have that link handy.
post #2813 of 2814 Old 06-16-2017, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Pendragonsound, I would be very interested in getting details on how to use the R5000 with 600 series Shaw receivers.
john
post #2814 of 2814 Old Today, 05:41 PM

Liked: 0
Pendragonsound, I too am VERY interested in getting details on how to use the R5000 with 600 series Shaw receivers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders