post #541 of 7483 Old 01-31-2005, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Originally posted by hall
Quote:

7) Do any DVRs have expansion options ?? Even the TiVo is a "hack" to add a bigger drive. The 8300 though is supposed to work with external HDDs.

Well, yes, if you want to get technical about it... But the fact is, I could do it to my UTV or (if I had one) Tivo, so it's a consideration. Interesting to know about the 8300 though! Boy, that thing is starting to sound like the Holy Grail for TWC subscribers, hee hee.

Quote:

8) Do other guides ?? I'd blame the guide provider (TV Guide for us) for this shortcoming.

Doesn't really matter to me if it's TVG or TWC. It's the guide on the DVR, and I can't switch it, and it's less capable than I'm used to. Not a show-stopper in itself, just another in a growing list of annoyances.

Thanks for the tip on tuning to a non-buffered channel channel keeping things quieter. I bet that also helps with HDD life & reliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 7483 Old 01-31-2005, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, I was somewhat nonplussed by the feedback from the service guy. 'Wow, you have a lot of stuff on there.' 2 or 3 movies, 1 HD movie, and about 15 kids programs. 'Most people don't have that much stuff on there.' I thought that was the whole point of the auto-purge, and, of course, of a DVR in itself.

Selectable guide: That's one thing I really liked about the Dish units. I could have my channel set, the missus could have hers, then we could jump to 'All subscribed' to browse everything. Not having that option wouldn't be so bad, if we had the option to view more than 5 channels at a time [again, like the Dish unit--set the guide to take up full screen or partial screen, thus showing different amounts of channels].

Ventilation: Hmm, I don't know. It's on an open shelf [the only component rack I could find that was affordable and fit everything is basically a shelving unit], and there's about 1-2" above it to the next shelf, and the component above it is a switchbox that doesn't produce much heat. Below it, about 4 inches below, I think, is a 5-disk dvd changer. There's nothing directly on top of it, and nothing electronic directly below it. I'll try raising it up a bit and seeing what happens.

I checked last night, and assuming I'm looking in the right place, I think I have version x.x.159 software as well. I do recall one time it was having a lot of problems, but it didn't download the software upgrade automatically for some reason, so the guy called in and had the office 'push' the upgrade. But that was a while ago, when it was rebooting every 2-4 minutes like clockwork.

I do need to get my wife to be a little more patient with the buttons; she doesn't use it much, but when she does, half the time it crashes, and I have to somehow tactfully say "this time it's not the box."

Anyway, the guy is coming on Saturday. Even if the HDD isn't dying [which I tend to believe it is, like you say, Hall], this unit is somehow buggy/defective/etc, it shouldn't be giving me this much trouble. The 8000 I had previously didn't do this badly. I'll try to get the guy to give me a new box on Sat, but if they don't do something other than say 'Don't record that much stuff' on Sat, I'll just keep a log of when things happen, and call in for service every time it happens and annoy them into giving me a new one.
post #543 of 7483 Old 01-31-2005, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dtcarson
Anyway, the guy is coming on Saturday. Even if the HDD isn't dying [which I tend to believe it is, like you say, Hall], this unit is somehow buggy/defective/etc, it shouldn't be giving me this much trouble. The 8000 I had previously didn't do this badly. I'll try to get the guy to give me a new box...

I've mentioned this before and I consider us lucky here in Western OH, but they have NO ISSUES with customers walking into the local office(s) with their box and swapping it for a new one. The first time I did it I did call before to see what they thought plus I figured they'd note my account that the box is acting up and I'll be in to swap it. The next time though, I just went on my own. I get to the window, tell 'em it's displaying "hard drive errors all the time" and "I'd like to get a new one". They do it NO QUESTIONS ASKED. It certainly doesn't require a tech visit either.
post #544 of 7483 Old 01-31-2005, 07:28 AM

I had my 2nd DVR crash a week ago - couldn't access any recorded shows and box wasn't changing output formats properly. The first time this had happaned (3 months ago) TWC replaced the box after we had rebooted it numerous times and TWC said there wasn't anything that could be done to save all of the recorded programming.

This time they had a new solution:
  • Unplug the DVR
  • Hold down the Volume (-) button on the box (left button on the circular controls)
  • Plug in the DVR while continuing to hold the volume button until the clock came back up.
After the DVR finished rebooting, everything was working properly and I was able to access and watch all of my recorded shows. 3 hours later, the DVR crashed again (I swear it wasn't my fault!!!) and after following the reboot procedure again everything has worked great since

I am a frequent recorder and a notorious 'fast button pusher' so I probably am somewhat at fault for the crashes, but so far this new reboot procedure seems to be working.

Does anybody have any idea what this reboot procedure is doing differently?

(Just to clarify - the normal reboot procedures [on/off button for 10 seconds & unplugging the box] were not having any positive affect on the DVR)
post #545 of 7483 Old 01-31-2005, 07:38 AM

Hmm, I didn't think about that....*looks on website* There is a Customer Care Center that allows Box Swap about 8 miles from me, maybe I'll see if they do walk-in box swaps and bring it in tomorrow. And you'd think they'd rather have me bring it in so they can check it out, rather than wasting possibly revenue-generating service calls on me.

Jsipe: I'll definitely try that tonight and see if it helps.
post #546 of 7483 Old 01-31-2005, 08:42 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:

Hmm, I didn't think about that....*looks on website* There is a Customer Care Center that allows Box Swap about 8 miles from me, maybe I'll see if they do walk-in box swaps and bring it in tomorrow. And you'd think they'd rather have me bring it in so they can check it out, rather than wasting possibly revenue-generating service calls on me.

Where i'm at, TWC allows us to get or swap regular digital converter boxes and the regular SD DVR, but do not give out or swap the SA8000HD over the counter. They require a tech to come to the house since they don't feel the average customer can get it working with their HDTV. Thankfully TWC doesn't charge for this in-home visit.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #547 of 7483 Old 01-31-2005, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Only thing to check on is that they have the boxes on-hand before going. There are (2) centers near enough to me that the drive is no big deal. There's ALWAYS a line though and I had to wait in line (45) minutes one time .... to be told they didn't have any replacements !!!! Arghhhhh !! I mean, how hard would a sign on the door saying "No 'xxxxx' boxes available today" be ??
post #548 of 7483 Old 01-31-2005, 11:30 AM

That's true, I was going to call to make sure they had one in stock they'd give me, and if they do it on customer request.

RandyWalters: That's bizarre. It's not that difficult to hook up, and in my case, I'd be sticking the new one in the exact same place as the old one. But I guess I can kinda see that, if there were any problems, the customer would pitch a fit and blame TWC. I don't think the tech even did much when he came and did the original install.
post #549 of 7483 Old 01-31-2005, 11:31 AM

when i got my hd-dvr i asked if i could just swap my regular dvr with hd-dvr, and they said no because the tech needs to check the line and make sure hd will work, and if it won't he needs to go do whatever he does to make it work.
post #550 of 7483 Old 01-31-2005, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Regarding some franchises not handing out the 8000HD (or 8300HD) for self-install, a few comments:

-- The 8000HD has a larger HDD than the standard 8000 and some will try and get it for that reason alone
-- The HD boxes were in short supply, and usually are, when they're first released at a franchise. They don't want to give them out to people who don't have HD sets. Remember, many people think that this HD box will make their 9-year old TV an "HDTV". That's not a joke....
-- The HD boxes do seem to require a good, clean incoming signal so let a tech run new wiring if necessary, as well as remove extra splitters that are no longer needed, and so on.

Now, if a customer already has an 8X00HD box and wants a replacement, there should be no need for a tech visit as it negates two of the three reasons listed above. If the original install tech did his/her job when you rec'd the 8X00, # 3 is ruled out too.

Note, these reasons are my own speculation, not something official.
post #551 of 7483 Old 01-31-2005, 12:30 PM

Quote:

Regarding some franchises not handing out the 8000HD (or 8300HD) for self-install, a few comments:

-- The 8000HD has a larger HDD than the standard 8000 and some will try and get it for that reason alone
-- The HD boxes were in short supply, and usually are, when they're first released at a franchise. They don't want to give them out to people who don't have HD sets. Remember, many people think that this HD box will make their 9-year old TV an "HDTV". That's not a joke....
-- The HD boxes do seem to require a good, clean incoming signal so let a tech run new wiring if necessary, as well as remove extra splitters that are no longer needed, and so on.

Now, if a customer already has an 8X00HD box and wants a replacement, there should be no need for a tech visit as it negates two of the three reasons listed above. If the original install tech did his/her job when you rec'd the 8X00, # 3 is ruled out too.

Note, these reasons are my own speculation, not something official.

I agree with you they should keep a supply on stock for current users, since these things seem to break so often. And when I talked with a CS guy, asking about future TWC hd-dvr he told me that once new ones come out I should be able to just do a swap, w/o needing the tech to come, and it sounded like it was the same for if my box does break i could just do a swap.
post #552 of 7483 Old 01-31-2005, 03:56 PM

It is TWC policy that if you show up to a customer service center with a proof of purchase or user's manual (I think this is sufficient as well) for an HDTV, then they will give you the 8000HD without having to send out a tech. When I switched from my non-HD DVR to 8000HD, all I did was bring my HDTV receipt.
post #553 of 7483 Old 01-31-2005, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ksscher
It is TWC policy...

I'd bet money that they didn't get that memo distributed....
post #554 of 7483 Old 01-31-2005, 05:44 PM

Quote:

My DT/HD channels are also in the 700-range. When I want to "jump" there, I just type in "700" and "SEL". Though there isn't a channel "700" for me, it jumps to the next one, "707", in my case.

I'd read (here) about the "press '2', then right-arrow" to jump two days ahead, but pressing the "A" key to jump '100' channels is new to me. How do people discover these, by being told by a Scientific Atlanta programmer ?? I mean, some are so obscure you'd only stumble on them by mistake ! No way someone figured them out.

I think that the A key to jump 100 channels (as well as the 2 then right arrow for 2 days ahead) was on the intro to HD channel 5 minute "movie" that plays on one of the in-demand channels. I have a vague recollection of hearing the words coming out of a syrupy sweet voice.
post #555 of 7483 Old 02-01-2005, 03:48 PM

When my 8000HD stopped entering the recorded list menu because of 'disk error' I took it to the local TWC office in So Cal. They tried to replace it with a standard 8000 box.

Even for a swap, they insist on a tech coming out. 4 days later, I got it replaced...

TWC 8000HD w/Passport v159
post #556 of 7483 Old 02-01-2005, 04:36 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

Originally posted by ksscher
It is TWC policy that if you show up to a customer service center with a proof of purchase or user's manual (I think this is sufficient as well) for an HDTV, then they will give you the 8000HD without having to send out a tech. When I switched from my non-HD DVR to 8000HD, all I did was bring my HDTV receipt.

Well then TWC policy obviously varies region to region. TWC where i'm at simply will not give you an SA8000HD over the counter. They already knew i had an HDTV because i'd been renting a regular HD converter for months and even though the tech behind the counter knew that i knew how to connect it and stuff he simply could not issue me an SA8000HD over the counter because their policy is that a tech has to come out to the house to set it up. So i had it installed a few days later. The guy that brought it called in the serial number to the main office and a few minutes later it was activated.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
post #557 of 7483 Old 02-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by DJ Frustration
Can we get a list of what TWC affiliates have the SA 8300HD box so far?

I'm curious as to where the boxes have shown up already so as to give those markets that DO NOT have them yet some hope.

TWC Minneapolis has both the 8300HD and the 8300HD Media Center.

Ignore them, m'dear: They're beneath your dignity.
post #558 of 7483 Old 02-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

The folks on the Yahoo SA8000 group are claiming that the AVS folks have posted that the 8300 is available for Time Warner NYC. I have not found this AVS thread, though.

-barry
post #559 of 7483 Old 02-01-2005, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes. Available as of today in NYC. Have one and so far am very happy. Check the TWC NYC thread.
post #560 of 7483 Old 02-01-2005, 08:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:

I'd read (here) about the "press '2', then right-arrow" to jump two days ahead, but pressing the "A" key to jump '100' channels is new to me. How do people discover these, by being told by a Scientific Atlanta programmer ?? I mean, some are so obscure you'd only stumble on them by mistake ! No way someone figured them out.

depends on the person, I'm sure there are some like me who experiment with different button presses to see what happens.

Another way to quickly skip through channels in the guide is to press the FAV button. It will jump to all your favorites and is actually more useful than when watching live TV. Faster in the guide at least.

The B and C buttons also serve the same function in their respective menus as the A button. Press B in the theme guide and you'll jump ahead by category eg. movie -> sport -> lifestyle etc.

post #561 of 7483 Old 02-01-2005, 09:37 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

Originally posted by VisionOn
depends on the person, I'm sure there are some like me who experiment with different button presses to see what happens.

Another way to quickly skip through channels in the guide is to press the FAV button. It will jump to all your favorites and is actually more useful than when watching live TV. Faster in the guide at least.

I've been compiling all the tips and tricks i and others have discovered since i got my 1st DVR in mid 2003 and you're the first to find this FAV trick in the guide (or at least the first to post it on AVS or the Explorer_8000 list). Nice. On my universal remote i already have the Ch+ key reprogrammed as my FAV key so this trick will come in real handy and is a much better way to channel surf without actually having to change channels ( and lose the buffer ).

Thanks !

Randy
post #562 of 7483 Old 02-02-2005, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Title edited to include the 8300HD per request.
post #563 of 7483 Old 02-02-2005, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Just wanted to confirm the availability of the 8300HD at the Manhattan 23rd Street location. I stopped by this morning on my way to work and swapped boxes. It looked like there was a good supply. When I first read about this last night I tried to call customer service to confirm. After a very long time on hold, I was connected to a cs rep in Canada who had no idea what I was talking about. She checked with her supervisor who said that there might be "a few" units available. I figured I'd just take a chance this morning and see for myself. I'll get it hooked up tonight. BTW, keep your power, component cables and remote as they are all interchangeable. There was no hdmi cable included.
post #564 of 7483 Old 02-02-2005, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by adrman
Just wanted to confirm the availability of the 8300HD at the Manhattan 23rd Street location. I stopped by this morning on my way to work and swapped boxes. It looked like there was a good supply. When I first read about this last night I tried to call customer service to confirm. After a very long time on hold, I was connected to a cs rep in Canada who had no idea what I was talking about. She checked with her supervisor who said that there might be "a few" units available. I figured I'd just take a chance this morning and see for myself. I'll get it hooked up tonight. BTW, keep your power, component cables and remote as they are all interchangeable. There was no hdmi cable included.

They will only swap out for you if you live in Manhattan. If you live in Queens forget it....
post #565 of 7483 Old 02-02-2005, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:

Originally posted by RandyWalters
On my universal remote i already have the Ch+ key reprogrammed as my FAV key so this trick will come in real handy and is a much better way to channel surf without actually having to change channels ( and lose the buffer ).

The FAV guide trick has worked on all the Passport enabled boxes I've used, although I always forget to use it. The other thing which I've only just recently realised (which may or may not be obvious to everyone else) is that channels marked as favorites are indicated by a star alongside the channel logo in the browsing info bar and guide.

post #566 of 7483 Old 02-02-2005, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I've been compiling all the tips and tricks i and others have discovered since i got my 1st DVR in mid 2003.

Care to share you compilation with the rest of the world?

I just got my 8000HD box this morning and it's really a pain in the arse to try to wade through hundreds of pages to try to find tips & tricks...

Thanks.

Troy
HD DVR armed!

Now that's how you supposed to drive!

Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X

post #567 of 7483 Old 02-02-2005, 12:28 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

Originally posted by Troy LaMont
Care to share you compilation with the rest of the world?

I just got my 8000HD box this morning and it's really a pain in the arse to try to wade through hundreds of pages to try to find tips & tricks...Thanks.

I had posted them here a few months ago - go back to page 10 of this thread and you'll see it under the subheading: Passport Tips and Tricks

I think i'll post an updated version when i get home (info is on my home PC but i'm at work now).

Randy
post #568 of 7483 Old 02-02-2005, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks!

Troy

post #569 of 7483 Old 02-02-2005, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I was browsing the 8000HD user guide (from SciAtl web site) and it says you can hit LIST->"B" and it will show you disk space remaining.

I figured that the Passport Echo software didn't carry that feature over?

Troy

post #570 of 7483 Old 02-02-2005, 02:07 PM

Quote:

[i]I think i'll post an updated version when i get home (info is on my home PC but i'm at work now). [/b]

That would be great. Does it include how to program the FAV button?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page