post #7471 of 7483 Old 08-25-2009, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

From what I read, it seems most of the others are equally lame... save for TiVO. Even so, we still haven't heard boo from them about addressing the 2 way issue... by not addressing it, TiVO for all the money they charge means one has to lose a LOT of functionality (VOD).

"Lose"? TiVo, which existed for many years before VOD, never had access to it, so it never "lost" anything (though I suppose that you mean that you'd lose VOD by switching to TiVo from leased cable STB, which is true). TiVo has addressed the issue as far as they can for the moment, having issued a statement to the FCC a couple of years back saying that they'd arrived at an agreement with CableLabs about licensing tech in a fashion that would allow their products to operate in two modes: a "TiVo Mode" wherein they'd present their own GUI with no access to OCAP-enabled features except for SDV tuning and a "OCAP mode" in which they'd present the cable provider's downloaded GUI, with all of its interactive features, but no access to recording capabilities (operating identically to a non-DVR cable STB). It's presumed that they're working on this product but aren't at a a point where they're ready to announce yet.

As for that depth-of-program-information issue, TiVo takes that to extremes. While looking at the description of an entry in the guide, I press the INFO button and get a list of the cast, director, producers and writer, and, if it's an episode of a series, a list of guest stars, the episode number and its original air date. If I choose the "Explore this program" option then I can really go nuts and do things like browse biographical information about each of the cast members and see various movies and TV programs that it knows about that they've been in (for each of those titles, it'll tell me if it's in the guide and let me set up a recording, or if it's available for streaming from Netflix or rental/purchase/download from Amazon; if it's a TV series, I can browse a list of all episodes from all seasons of the series, also with information about whether I can use TiVo to record a given episode or get it online). I just used these features to look at Alien Ressurection, airing as I write this on FX HD (though not in HD ); I never knew that it was written by Joss Whedon or that Sigourney Weaver was born in NYC in 1949 .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 7483 Old 08-26-2009, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"Lose" as in I have had this for years, but if I go TiVO, I'd "lose" that functionality.

Don't think I ever said anything about the data... except that the MDN I got forced into lists even less info than Passport. Of course, one of the issues there was I got a comment after lamenting the lack of the director's name for movies, that he didn't care at all if a director's name was left off! Yes, what TiVO does in this regard is fabulous.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #7473 of 7483 Old 09-14-2009, 12:15 PM

With the Passport 8300HD, I used to be able to set my audio coding to Dolby Digital, then back to HDMI, and the Dolby Digital output would continue to feed my SPDIF output in Dolby 5.1 mode. Now, it's an either/or proposition.

I have an HDMI cable going to my TV, and the digital SPDIF (RCA) cable going to my home theater system which was pre-HDMI. If I switch the output on the 8300HD to Dolby out, I lose the HDMI audio. If I switch it to HDMI, I lose 5.1 audio to my home theater with HDMI audio selected in the audio coding. The best I can get is Dolby Pro Logic II out of the SPDIF output to my home theater. Actually, it's most likely just PCM that's being converted to Dolby PII by the home theater receiver.

I do miss having the ability to get both HDMI out to the TV AND full Dolby 5.1 to my home theater. By the way, it makes no difference whether I use the optical/toslink cable output from the 8300HD or the SPDIF RCA cable out.

My Panasonic plasma does have its own optical digital audio out, but seems to limit output due to HDCP concerns to pcm only, so that's not an option.

Anyone know if the 8300HDC or other HD DVR's can accomplish what I need? Otherwise, I'll have to look at other kludges, like HDMI-splitters with a converter or the like.
post #7474 of 7483 Old 09-14-2009, 05:32 PM

This new software has to be the most miserable downgrade since I switched from a Mac to a PC.

I was watching a warehouse 13 VOD the other night, hit the guide button, and got a 5 minute time out while the system rebooted and shut off.
post #7475 of 7483 Old 11-08-2009, 09:49 AM

Hello everyone,

First, thanks to humdinger for the technique to FF by 15 minutes. I've had the new software for at least a year and I've sent at least 3 emails to TW asking why they removed this feature. If they did not make me mad, the responses would be funny...they told me to reboot my box, they asked me if I wanted to enable parental controls, and of course, they offered to sell me TCP/IP phone service, but they never told me how to jump in 15 minute increments...

Now for my question: I've helped a number of friends in the past capture video they had stored on their DVR. They all had the 8300HD which will simultaneously output signals on component, composite, and s-video so I had no problem. Yesterday I tried to help someone who has the 8000HD. I quickly discovered that it runs in either HD or SD mode and when in HD mode it does not output on the composite or s-video connectors. My capture device only has inputs for composite and s-video and I'm afraid that the new TW software will not allow me to switch to SD mode to enable them. The manual says to press Info and Guide with the DVR power off, but this had no effect.

Does anyone know of a way to get the composite, s-video, or coax out (that would not work either) functioning on this box. I know it's not possible to get the composite, s-video, and component working at the same time, but that would not be a problem. I just need to get the composite, s-video, or coax working so I can capture the recorded video and then I'll switch back to component.

By the way, my friend wants to get a video of her son playing football in a high school game that was televised. She contacted the TV station and they have no way to selling or providing the video. I don't think there are any copyright violations here.

If anyone can offer some advice, or just confirm that it cannot be done, I would appreciate it. If it cannot be done I guess I'll see if I can borrow a DVD recorder that has component input.

Thanks.
post #7476 of 7483 Old 11-08-2009, 10:46 AM

Before anyone replies to my previous post, I found the answer in another thread.

For the benefit of anyone who might have the same problem, the answer was to do use the DVR's picture in a picture feature. The PIP video and audio are available on the composite output.
post #7477 of 7483 Old 11-08-2009, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by tswang View Post

I've sent at least 3 emails to TW asking why they removed this feature.

Semantics--they didn't "remove" anything. They switched to new software created from scratch by different people which does not have that feature and never did. They didn't start with Passport and take things out of it. If you stopped running Windows on your PC and switched to Linux, would you asked why the Linux people "removed" Internet Explorer? You could ask TWC why they didn't choose to implement your favorite features in their new software (they bought the company who was developing it years ago--it's their property and they control its feature set).
Quote:

Now for my question: I've helped a number of friends in the past capture video they had stored on their DVR. They all had the 8300HD which will simultaneously output signals on component, composite, and s-video so I had no problem. Yesterday I tried to help someone who has the 8000HD. I quickly discovered that it runs in either HD or SD mode and when in HD mode it does not output on the composite or s-video connectors. My capture device only has inputs for composite and s-video and I'm afraid that the new TW software will not allow me to switch to SD mode to enable them. The manual says to press Info and Guide with the DVR power off, but this had no effect.

Does anyone know of a way to get the composite, s-video, or coax out (that would not work either) functioning on this box. I know it's not possible to get the composite, s-video, and component working at the same time, but that would not be a problem. I just need to get the composite, s-video, or coax working so I can capture the recorded video and then I'll switch back to component.

By the way, my friend wants to get a video of her son playing football in a high school game that was televised. She contacted the TV station and they have no way to selling or providing the video. I don't think there are any copyright violations here.

If anyone can offer some advice, or just confirm that it cannot be done, I would appreciate it. If it cannot be done I guess I'll see if I can borrow a DVD recorder that has component input.

You may be pretty much boned on this one. There are probably some retail DVD recorders which have component video inputs, but I doubt that there are many which will handle high definition component video, since they'd have to convert it to standard definition to record it. There are devices which can do that conversion (see this), but they aren't free.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #7478 of 7483 Old 11-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tswang View Post

Before anyone replies to my previous post, I found the answer in another thread.

For the benefit of anyone who might have the same problem, the answer was to do use the DVR's picture in a picture feature. The PIP video and audio are available on the composite output.

Warning: years ago, when I had an 8000, I used this PIP technique to copy to DVD. It worked fine with one big exception. If you did nothing for about a half hour, PIP turned itself off, and the recording got screwed up. If this "feature" still exists, you will have to move the PIP window (or press some equally innocuous keys) to keep the window alive.

Good luck,

-barry
post #7479 of 7483 Old 11-24-2009, 08:38 AM

Just got Time Warner installed last weekend and finally getting my whole system setup including a 4x2 component matrix switch. The problem with the 8300HDC is that the analog audio outputs are not working. I have tried everything I can think of, swapping out cables, hooking up to different TV's, changing the DVR menu settings, but nothing will enable the analog (OUT 1) audio outputs. I even tried OUT2, but no go. Just to clarify, I am using the component video outputs and L-R analog outputs from OUT 1.

I have tried all three menu settings for Audio Digital: HDMI, Dolby Digital, and Other. None of them work. The CSR I talked to on the phone was worthless.

I have even taken the matrix switch out of the picture and hookup up my Vizio LCD directly to the DVR using component and L-R audio. Nothing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #7480 of 7483 Old 03-20-2010, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Supposedly Cox is switching from SARA to Passport. Is there more than one version? This one is supposedly Rovi's Passport® Guide: http://www.rovicorp.com/products/ser...nk_id=rightnav

How well, if at all, does Passport support external eSATA HDDs? There are not many entries (compared to SARA) in Xnappo's database: http://www.baseportal.com/baseportal/xnappo/passport

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #7481 of 7483 Old 03-20-2010, 05:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 331
If Cox are switching to Tru2Way Passport Echo I envy Cox users everywhere because that IPG looks extremely slick.

post #7482 of 7483 Old 03-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

Supposedly Cox is switching from SARA to Passport. Is there more than one version? This one is supposedly Rovi's Passport® Guide: http://www.rovicorp.com/products/ser...nk_id=rightnav

How well, if at all, does Passport support external eSATA HDDs? There are not many entries (compared to SARA) in Xnappo's database: http://www.baseportal.com/baseportal/xnappo/passport

Old versions of Passport, in TWCNYC territory, supported external drives, but at a cost. If you added an external drive, you could not use "trick play" functions (rewind/FF of live TV).

NYC upgraded to Navigator almost a year ago, so I don't have any up to date Passport information.

-barry
post #7483 of 7483 Old 12-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnshan View Post

That's fine, that's why I tend to try and figure things out myself. Tech support for everything I've ever tried has been more than useless. I can't remember the last time I called tech support. I just use forums such as this to solve problems.

Pat

I can't remember cause I read the thread months ago, all I meant was SOME (not all) people will not see a drive recognized by the OS when going from a DVR into a PC because of the drive missing a MBR. So for those people wanting to convert such said drives for use in PC's they need to find them in storage section of computer management and initiate the drive first so it can be recognized and then you will see it and can format it. It happened to me!
I was offerring advice, if that particular person didn't mean recognized by the OS but rather by BIOS then my advice wouldn't help him but it would others who meant not recognized by the computer (which in my opinion most people mean the OS when they say computer), Not everyone is hardware savvy like you P.Smith. So in our advice we sometimes need to dumb it down and assume what people might have meant even if they said it incorrectly, that is what I had done.
It didn't need any follow up in my opinion. I stand by the merits of my original advice for using hard rives in a PC that was originally in a DVR as helpful to some.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page