Official Comcast 6412 w/ iGuide Discussion - Page 100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2971 of 10358 Old 02-08-2005, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No firmware upgrade here in the Denver area. Although I don't use my DVR as much as most of you seem to (primarily record HD, usually don't simultaneously record and watch), I have not experienced any of the glitches in this thread except having a series recording mysteriously switch from the HD channel to the SD channel. And that was only for a show that was not an HD broadcast (Amazing Race). I hope I don't jinx myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by walshja
i just looked and I am on firmware 9.12

is there a way I can force an upgrade? or do I just wait for it to happen ?

Around 2:00am my box seemed to shut down and showed "dl" and a "spinning" indicator for about 1/2 hour. Presumably it was downloading something? When it was all done I checked the f/w version and it was 9.12.

BUT I now have an "On Demand" menu choice which I did not have before. I poked around in there and the VOD worked, I checked out some of the free selections. (Personally I'd rather have more HD content than VOD)

Steve
post #2973 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by demenas
Personally I'd rather have more HD content than VOD

I agree

Atlanta, GA - Comcast
post #2974 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by loungesong
I have my 6412 connected to a Syntax Olevia 30" LCD TV via a DVI cable.

HD Channels look fine. In the Setup menu I have 16:9, 1080i with 4:3 Override set to 480p (although it doesn't make a difference).

Unfortunately on non HD channels, there is a thin (maybe 20 pixels) area that runs the length of the top of the screen. It also runs across the left of the screen. It is mainly black and white and moves with the screen. It appears i need to move the screen position up and left.

I have the same LCD TV with a 6208. Since the LCD is a fixed resolution device you may get better results outputting everything at 720p. That more closely matches the native resolution of the Syntax. I have mine set to 720p and 4:3 override OFF. I have the same thin line on one or two channels but most are fine with those settings. You might try it and compare.

As far as adjusting the picture up, I have not found a way to do that. I used to have Dish and there was such an adjustment in my Dish 6000 receiver which was nice.
post #2975 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jmorton
As far as adjusting the picture up, I have not found a way to do that. I used to have Dish and there was such an adjustment in my Dish 6000 receiver which was nice.

Try "Screen position setup" from the setup menu?

Or you could just read page 26 of the manual (broadband.motorola.com/dvr/downloads/URMD2.pdf).

Sorry, AVSforum won't let me post an actual link since I'm new here. Where is Frank when we need him?
post #2976 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 07:25 AM

[quote]Originally posted by drdr
[b]Try "Screen position setup" from the setup menu?

Or you could just read page 25 of the manual (broadband.motorola.com/dvr/downloads/URMD2.pdf).

Thanks guys for the replies, but as far as I can tell, "Screen Position Setup" only adjusts the screen position of the i-guide window, and not the actual TV broadcast. Is there anther "Screen Position Setup" area I'm missing?
post #2977 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

yes

There is a window with 4 arrows to move the screen around.

I can move my picture around to show video noise on any side or just center it so no noise shows on the edges.

However, you may have some overscan issues as well.
post #2978 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 07:28 AM

It's page 28 of the manual:
Motorola Manual

I thought that the broadcast itself would be adjusted using your TV's controls. It's that way on my TV.

Dawn
post #2979 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by lewlew
yes

There is a window with 4 arrows to move the screen around.

I can move my picture around to show video noise on any side or just center it so no noise shows on the edges.

However, you may have some overscan issues as well.

Again, thanks so much for the help. Unfortunately, I just adjusted the "Screen Position Setup" menu and shifted everything all the way up and to the right to test, and all it does is move the i-guide window. The actual broadcast has the same problem. This does not happen with the Component Video cables, but like i said, I REALLY want to avoid using them (or I'll have to buy a DVI DVD player)

I'm also having this problem when I set the Motorola box to broadcast 720p.

Anyone else with a Syntax Olevia 30 LCD have this problem or a work around?
post #2980 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 07:47 AM

Quote:

Again, thanks so much for the help. Unfortunately, I just adjusted the "Screen Position Setup" menu and shifted everything all the way up and to the right to test, and all it does is move the i-guide window. The actual broadcast has the same problem. This does not happen with the Component Video cables, but like i said, I REALLY want to avoid using them (or I'll have to buy a DVI DVD player)

I'm also having this problem when I set the Motorola box to broadcast 720p.

If your comfort level with doing technical things is up to it, you most likely need to adjust this in your TV's service menu (information on getting to it most likely can be found here on AVS or over at ***************.com). OBLIGATORY WARNING: DOING THE WRONG THING IN THE SERVICE MENU CAN WRECK YOUR TV FOR GOOD.

If not, your other choices are to live with it or pay an ISF trained technician to calibrate your TV.

In either event, this is most likely not an issue with your 6412.
post #2981 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 07:50 AM

Any idea why comcast doesn't have the favorites enabled in the quick menu? It's shown in the manual, but described as a feature which may be available, "depending on the services your cable provider offers." The favorites button is also missing from the main menu, so this feature is fairly worthless when perusing the guide. It will skip to the next favorite channel, but still shows all of the other unsubscribed and PPV channels.

Is this just so they can make us look at all the PPV garbage in the guide more often, as was suggested in an earlier post? Or is this just a feature they haven't enabled yet since the software is so new?
post #2982 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 07:52 AM
km

Quote:

Yes, I have the same setup and same problem. As you report, the screen positioning from the 6412 did nothing for the DVI source material.

Syntax told me that the DVI is meant for a PC not video, and does not overscan like the component input. I just live with using the non progressive component input on my dvd player, and use the progressive on the cable box.
post #2983 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by km
Yes, I have the same setup and same problem. As you report, the screen positioning from the 6412 did nothing for the DVI source material.

Syntax told me that the DVI is meant for a PC not video, and does not overscan like the component input. I just live with using the non progressive component input on my dvd player, and use the progressive on the cable box.

Noooooooooo!

Thanks for the reply, I had a feeling it was going to be something like this.

One of the reasons I bought the TV was because I didn't want to deal with having to use an external component input switch, like I've had with my old Sony Wega...major bummer

Do you notice a difference in DVDs when using non-progressive vs. progressive?

I almost want to dump the TV now, what a disappointment.

Anyone else find a work around? Do you think a DVI-Component Adapter is worth trying?
post #2984 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by drdr
Any idea why comcast doesn't have the favorites enabled in the quick menu? It's shown in the manual, but described as a feature which may be available, "depending on the services your cable provider offers." The favorites button is also missing from the main menu, so this feature is fairly worthless when perusing the guide. It will skip to the next favorite channel, but still shows all of the other unsubscribed and PPV channels.

Is this just so they can make us look at all the PPV garbage in the guide more often, as was suggested in an earlier post? Or is this just a feature they haven't enabled yet since the software is so new?

I have the 6412 box. The convoluted way of having just Favorite channels show in the guide is to

Hit menu on remote
Hit main menu button on tv screen
Hit favorites.

favorite channels ONLY will appear in the guide--but you have to go through the process each time.
post #2985 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ticman
I have the 6412 box. The convoluted way of having just Favorite channels show in the guide is to

Hit menu on remote
Hit favorites.

favorite channels ONLY will appear in the guide--but you have to go through the process each time.

How hard is it to have multiple favorite lists and to show them in the quick guide buy pressing "guide"? DBS DVRs have this for years. My guess is Comcast just does not pay enough for the right people to work on the features and bugs.
post #2986 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
>I'm looking primarily for information regarding adding storage, but I would also like to be able to talk to it over a network and extract shows.

You cannot add a larger hard drive or an additional hard drive. You can take recorded shows and transfer them to DVHS or a computer.

Search this thread for details. This topic has been covered before.
post #2987 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Hit menu on remote
Hit favorites.

you could create a macro to do the steps identified above, and assign it to a free button on your remote !

I just programmed the skip feature on my remote, it is pretty easy. programming macros seems pretty easy as well.
post #2988 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I've been pretty lucky and not suffered most of the issues with the 6412 that others have.
I did have the problem with only one of the tuners indicating DD5.1, but as was noted earlier, it was resolved.
I just noticed last night it was back again.
I still have firmware ver 9.12

Earl
post #2989 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by earletp
I've been pretty lucky and not suffered most of the issues with the 6412 that others have.
I did have the problem with only one of the tuners indicating DD5.1, but as was noted earlier, it was resolved.
I just noticed last night it was back again.
I still have firmware ver 9.12

Earl

I have the same problem, shows audio on one tuner and not the other. I got the update to Firmware 9.14 but still the same. How did you fix the problem?
post #2990 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by walshja
you could create a macro to do the steps identified above, and assign it to a free button on your remote !

I just programmed the skip feature on my remote, it is pretty easy. programming macros seems pretty easy as well.

LOL easy for you ; difficult for me.

btw I tried to program the 30 second skip and wanted to use the "help" button--it didn't take. wonder if help button is not up for grabs re reprogramming!
post #2991 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by dcfox
I have the same problem, shows audio on one tuner and not the other. I got the update to Firmware 9.14 but still the same. How did you fix the problem?

I didn't fix the problem.
About the same time others in this thread mentioned it was fixed for them, it was for me too and both tuners displayed correctly. Something happened that changed that and I now have only one tuner indicating audio again.
Pretty minor compared to some of the other problems I see posted though.
post #2992 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 03:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:

btw I tried to program the 30 second skip and wanted to use the "help" button--it didn't take. wonder if help button is not up for grabs re reprogramming!

Works perfect for me, are you using the silver remote? Or are you talking about programming a uni-remote like the Harmony?
post #2993 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Unfortunately on non HD channels, there is a thin (maybe 20 pixels) area that runs the length of the top of the screen. It also runs across the left of the screen.

I'm surprised a bit by the "left of the screen" part, but I also see the narrow band across the top. Suffice it to say that the Analog broadcasters have made use of the Overscan of CRT-based TVs and that is what you are seeing.

Quote:

It does not have the problem when I connect with Component .

This is no doubt because the Analog section of your LCD "assumes" the Component Signal has data that would otherwise be overscanned and compensates for it.

Quote:

Is there any way to adjust the screen position with the DVI port, or is this something I need to research with my LCD TV? (I haven't found anything yet).

On my Sharp LC-45GX6U, I have a 4-selection menu on the DVI connector settings:

1 - Analog PC
2 - Digital PC
3 - Analog AV
4 - Digital AV

The difference btwn. Analog and Digital is simply which signals are selected from the DVI-I connector (i.e. both Analog and Digital are present on the "integrated" DVI-I connector).

The difference btwn. PC and AV is, you guessed it, simply a "canned" overscan scaling.

I have no idea if your LCD panel has this option or not, but you might check there - rather than on the DVR.

One pieve of mine is that while some of the GX's settings are not only per-input but also per-resolution (i.e. detects when it is receiving 480p vs. 720p etc...), this one is not. So I only have two choices:

A - Hide the overscan on Analog broadcasts and live with "clipping" on Digital/HD programs, or
B - Get the full picture on Digital/HD programs and live with the "noise" at the top of the screen on Analog broadcasts.

I chose option A :-(...
post #2994 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 04:34 PM

I have this real problem with my 6412 PVR. About 40-50% of the recordings I make in HD are completely unwatchable because the audio skips every few seconds followed by some video corruption. Then its ok again, and then it repeats. Some shows are fine but others are totally messed up. However, one week, the HD show will record just fine, and then the next week, its all messed up again.

Anyone else seeing this? I don't have any problems watching live HD content, its only when playing back from the HD. Its like the HD isn't fast enough to record HD content so during the record its dropping frames causing all the corruption and audio skips.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Grant Gochnauer
www.gochnauer.org
post #2995 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by keenan
Works perfect for me, are you using the silver remote? Or are you talking about programming a uni-remote like the Harmony?

using silver remote from comcast box (I have they 6412 box and 6280 remote).

I have a harmony 688 but have too many setup issue right now to worry about universal remote. new hdtv, box etc .

i am programming like this

hit cable
hold set up till cable blinks twice
enter 994
hit cable once
enter 00176
press "help" button

what am I doing wrong??
thanks
post #2996 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 04:56 PM

Hello,

Since the 6412 does weird things when you turn it off and on again, I would like to never bother turning it off. The problem is that to turn my TV on and off, I have to hit the TV button. Then to use the DVR ff, rew, etc, I need to hit the Cable button, which I often forget. Is there a way to program the remote that when it is set to Cable, the power button controls the TV instead of the DVR? I still want Aux power to control my amp, as well. I know, I want it all!! Thanks for any input.
post #2997 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 05:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:

using silver remote from comcast box (I have they 6412 box and 6280 remote).

I have a harmony 688 but have too many setup issue right now to worry about universal remote. new hdtv, box etc .

i am programming like this

hit cable
hold set up till cable blinks twice
enter 994
hit cable once <<<</font>
enter 00176
press "help" button

what am I doing wrong??
thanks

I'm not sure, I would have to look back through this thread, but I think you hit setup instead of cable on your fourth line listed above..plus I think you have two commands mixed up in there. do a search back in this thread for the sequence..

Where's Frank, he probably has this tattooed on his hand...
post #2998 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 05:02 PM

Hello,

Since the 6412 does weird things when you turn it off and on again, I would like to never bother turning it off. The problem is that to turn my TV on and off, I have to hit the TV button. Then to use the DVR ff, rew, etc, I need to hit the Cable button, which I often forget. Is there a way to program the remote that when it is set to Cable, the power button controls the TV instead of the DVR? I still want Aux power to control my amp, as well. I know, I want it all!! Thanks for any input.
post #2999 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

The only keys that can be locked to all modes of operation are the Vol + / - & Ch + / -

Sorry!

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #3000 of 10358 Old 02-09-2005, 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by edmc
While the observation that firmware (from Motorola) and software (from iGuide) are distinct was right on, I don't think the above statement is correct.

Folks across the land seem to have narrowed down this little "feature" to cases where the SD and HD stations have EXACTLY the same call letters. In my area, for instance, the local ABC affilliate, KGO, is carried in Analog SD on Ch. 7 and Digital HD on Ch. 707. When an EPG "event" happens (e.g. Comcast updates the EPG channel lineup, power-cycled DVR, etc...), the iGuide goes to its scheduled recordings list and re-searches BY CALL LETTERS for scheduled programs when "This Channel Only" is selected. Presumably this catches the case where a particular broadcasted station is reassigned to a new Channel Number. Anyway, the search apparently starts from Ch. 2 and goes up. The search STOPS when it finds an exact match. So if there are two channels that share the exact same Call Letters, the scheduled recording will be (re-)assigned to the lowest channel number with the matching Call Letters. In my case, that means everytime I have one of these EPG Events, any scheduled recordings on KGO's Digital HD Channel (707) get re-scheduled on KGO's Analog SD Channel (7) if the program also appears there (as is certainly usually the case).

The problem isn't iGuide's... Rather, it's a feature of iGuide which allows Stations to be reassigned to new Channel Numbers that is being "confused" when Comcast has two or more Channels with the exact same Call Letters.

I prefer iGuide to leave in this feature lest we lose scheduled recordings whenever channel number assignments change.

I prefer Comcast to do the same thing they do for all the other paired stations in my area - i.e. use DISTINCT CALL LETTERS (e.g. "KGO-DT" for Channel 707 to distinguish it from "KGO" on Channel 7).

One more thing - the problem isn't just for Series Recordings. It's for any Scheduled Recordings (i.e. one-time vs. series). I don't know about so-called Manual Recordings... Never saw this happen and haven't grok'd some peoples' posts discussing it...

Manual Recordings = Menu -> DVR -> DVR Schedule -> Create a manual recording. This lets you set up a scheduled recording not by show name but for any time interval on any day, with options to repeat every day, same day each week, or Mon-Fri. You select the channel off a list of channels, not the guide. The channel list has both numbers and names so I don't know whether it has or overcomes the same number vs name mapping problem.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page