Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 10358 Old 11-27-2004, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by frankz1
You got it right: Power Off and then "OK." I read earlier that the "OK" has to come within 3 seconds of powering off, though. That's what's worked here.

What is the correct way to get out of the menu then? Exit or the power button?

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 10358 Old 11-27-2004, 03:24 PM

Quote:

That one I don't remember, although hitting "POWER" again sounds right because you use "SELECT/OK" to navigate through the menus.

There's an "Everything you wanted to know about the Diagnostic Menu" Site mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm prevented from directly posting URLs at this point in my limited posting history, but it's on a site at cjhengineering "dot" com "slash" hdtv "slash" cablehdtv "slash" dctdiag "dot" htm.

Subsitute the symbols for the quoted words. It's very instructional.
post #543 of 10358 Old 11-27-2004, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

post #544 of 10358 Old 11-27-2004, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BullittMustang
The box goes into mute when the power is off and a recording starts. You have to press the mute button on your remote. If it mutes the tv instead of the cable box then follow these steps..

1. Press the cable button

2. Press and hold setup until it blinks twice then let go

3. Press 994

4. Press setup and release

5. Press 00141

6. Press the mute button

love these codes, Remote would not work with my H/K receiver codes so when in DD5.1 I couldn't mute. Code works to mute the 6412 box now.
post #545 of 10358 Old 11-27-2004, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I read others are able to dump shows from the 6412 to their D-VHS?? I'm not able to do that & hope someone out there can PLEASE HELP!!

My plasma is hooked up the the 6412 via DVI & everything works fine until I power up my JVC 3000(which is hooked up via firewire). THEN the 6412 goes into lock up mode. I have to turn off the D-VHS to get it going again. When I turn it back on I no longer even get an image via firewire. Any suggestions or thoughts on the problem??

Carl Jones
post #546 of 10358 Old 11-27-2004, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LKupersmith
I've only had my 6412 for 5 days and luckily, so far I've had no reboots, but, it's very loud. I easily hear the hard disk noise from about 11 feet away - a head seeking noise that's often non-stop. I looked in the diag screens and found it uses a Seagate ST3230025ACE model HD which uses a voice coil for the head positioning mechanism. Although when building computers I have found Seagate drives to be quieter than most, this particular model seems to be a bad choice for a PVR. BTW, you'll also see in this screen that only 109MB are available for recording. The rest is for the OS and guide indexing.

Can others post the drive model used in their 6412s and note whether or not your box is noisy or acceptably quiet?

Regarding a previous post, I have 15 days of program info in my guide.

Ok, I checked mine. It is a Maxtor hard drive and it is very quiet.

Jim
post #547 of 10358 Old 11-27-2004, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
carl -

funny you posted that just now because i just came here to report similar problems with my new 6412 and dvhs (JVC 30K) recordings via firewire. it's basically making my 6412 crash HARD.

is anyone here successfully making recordings to a dvhs deck from their 6412's?

after anywhere between 15-40 minutes of an attempted recording to my dvhs deck, the 6412 will crash. i've tried 10 times....i've also tried unplugging the firewire, turning everything off and starting over, etc, but it seems like just having the firewire plugged into the 6412 makes it unstable (i've been getting freezeups where the remote won't do anything and the buttons on the actual unit won't do anything, forcing me to unplug the 6412).

it seems to be stable when the firewire cable isn't plugged into the 6412.

any ideas?
post #548 of 10358 Old 11-27-2004, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
My drive is also the Seagate ST3230025ACE and it's intollerably loud. I guess I'll have to keep exchanging it until I get the Maxtor.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #549 of 10358 Old 11-27-2004, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oleus
carl -

funny you posted that just now because i just came here to report similar problems with my new 6412 and dvhs (JVC 30K) recordings via firewire. it's basically making my 6412 crash HARD.

is anyone here successfully making recordings to a dvhs deck from their 6412's?

after anywhere between 15-40 minutes of an attempted recording to my dvhs deck, the 6412 will crash. i've tried 10 times....i've also tried unplugging the firewire, turning everything off and starting over, etc, but it seems like just having the firewire plugged into the 6412 makes it unstable (i've been getting freezeups where the remote won't do anything and the buttons on the actual unit won't do anything, forcing me to unplug the 6412).

it seems to be stable when the firewire cable isn't plugged into the 6412.

any ideas?

Have you tried just turning off your JVC to "unfreeze" the moto box? So far that has worked for me. But I SURE want to get this fixed!! LOTR ROTK is on in HD starting tonight & I REALLY wanted to record that!!

Carl Jones
post #550 of 10358 Old 11-27-2004, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have done this both ways (I'm constantly shifting from 1080i to 720p & back again). It really doesn't seem to matter.

Carl Jones
post #551 of 10358 Old 11-27-2004, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Have you tried just turning off your JVC to "unfreeze" the moto box? So far that has worked for me. But I SURE want to get this fixed!! LOTR ROTK is on in HD starting tonight & I REALLY wanted to record that!!

i haven't done that yet because by the time i stop the JVC deck, the 6412 has usually rebooted, or i've already resorted to unplugging the 6412. now that i know it's the JVC probably causing the problems i'll probably just take it out of the mix altogther and use it with my other receiver (the 6208, which works GREAT with my JVC deck).

i'm pretty sure the 6412 just doesn't like the JVC 30K, because it works fine when it's not hooked up to it. this is very discouraging. I might just keep my other 6208 instead of upgrading it if i can't record via firewire from the 6412.

later tonight when i have tme i will try leaving the firewire cable plugged into the 6412 but NOT hooked up to the JVC, just to see ifit's something to do with simply havingthe firewire cable in there. i doubt that though....seems to me if two of us are having the same problems there is some sort of incompatibility going on.
post #552 of 10358 Old 11-27-2004, 06:25 PM

Ok this has happened with two remotes. I programed the 30 seccond skip and the mute on my black UEI remote for the 6412 and now the number 4 wont work. Took the first one back, it worked until I programed it for the mute and gone again. Any ideas?
post #553 of 10358 Old 11-27-2004, 06:51 PM

Has anyone checked the temperature on their 6412? Mine is at 138 degrees, though it says it's ok.

Also, my FF4 is only 20x. Earlier posts referred to a 60x FF. Is there a way to make this advance at 60x?

I'm in the Boston area.
post #554 of 10358 Old 11-27-2004, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
I just recorded to my JVC 30K The Matrix I had saved a few days ago.

At about the 55min mark a few glitches appeared. Then a bit later a few more. Not too bad, but it needs to be fixed.

No lock up.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #555 of 10358 Old 11-27-2004, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This crash after 15 minutes or so is what use to happen to my 6208 when I would record to my DVHS. I got around it as follows: With the cable box off, I prep'd my DVHS tape and then powered the cable box on and started the recording. With the 6208, if the box was on while I was inserting and prep'n the tape, it would crash in the first 5-15 minutes. I have not recorded to DVHS yet but will tonight most likely as I have to record the Patriots game I have saved before tomorrow's game. I will report my findings.
FREAK!

3X SUPERBOWL CHAMPION PATRIOTS!
post #556 of 10358 Old 11-27-2004, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KentStater72
Ok this has happened with two remotes. I programed the 30 seccond skip and the mute on my black UEI remote for the 6412 and now the number 4 wont work. Took the first one back, it worked until I programed it for the mute and gone again. Any ideas?

In case you happen to have been issued an Atlas remote try this post for assistance but substitute your 4 key for the 7 key specified in the post.

Jimbo--------Bomb's Away
post #557 of 10358 Old 11-27-2004, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Derf
Freak,

Anyway, getting back on topic, this morning there's no picture - guide data and whatnot are there, but no TV. I play around with it for a while, then try playing a recorded program. Comes right up and when I stop the replay, live TV is back!

Sounds like another bug in the software. Hope it doesn't get any worse.

Derf!

Exact same thing happened to me too.

jason
post #558 of 10358 Old 11-28-2004, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Update on DVHS recording. I recorded the Pats game without issues.
FREAK!

3X SUPERBOWL CHAMPION PATRIOTS!
post #559 of 10358 Old 11-28-2004, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I did some AVS research and found this beauty of a post leading me to believe that adding external hard drive space will be next to impossible if using USB. Thus, I do not believe the post at the blog spot.

I think there is still potential for expansion using FireWire because of 5C. The new I-Guide would have to be modified to allow for menus for the externals.

Regards,
Joe

Going "over the top" with OTA, Netflix, Drobo FS and Apple TV!
post #560 of 10358 Old 11-28-2004, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by jsb_hburg
I did some AVS research and found this beauty of a post leading me to believe that adding external hard drive space will be next to impossible if using USB. Thus, I do not believe the post at the blog spot.

What a pathetic no life person that guy was

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #561 of 10358 Old 11-28-2004, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Comcast NJ - Union/Verona

Looks like I found another bug.

I setup my 13th Series Recording (is that too many?). I needed to change its Priority among the other 12 recordings in the Priority list. So I moved it from where it was to 8th. When I selected the Confirm it just froze. I waited an hour but nothing changed. I had to remove power and reboot the box. When I powered up, the show was in the 8th spot in the Priority List like I wanted.

I duplicated this bug moving the 13th show again, so it does not seem random.

Is 13 Series Recordings too many???

Anyone else have 13 or more Series Recordings???

Anyone else experience their 6412/i-Guide become non responsive???

*** Update ***

I added a couple more Series Recordings. I was able to change the Priority and Confirmed the changes without the box locking up. Maybe 13 is unlucky.

Obviously I'll post back if the bug occurs again.
post #562 of 10358 Old 11-28-2004, 10:59 AM

News and Question:

My first 6412 from Comcast of North Fulton (Atlanta) had the random reboot problem. My replacement is fine.

My research indicates different Comcast locations provide different things. Some have ethernet enabled, some don't. Some have Seagate drives, some have Maxtors. Etc. My guess is individual systems have their own budgets and buy accordingly.

My V-chip with my iGuide sucks. The iGuide gives only general ratings for TV shows, such as TV-14. It doesn't give the details, such as D, L, S, V. So if I want to block TV-14 shows that have D, L, and S, but allow those that have just V, I have to block all TV-14 shows instead. When it comes to movies on regular TV channels, such as TNT, the iGuide goes by the movie's original rating and has no TV rating for it. So, for example, if a movie was originally rated R, and I have the V-chip set to block R movies, the movie is blocked. This happens even if TNT (or whoever) has edited the movie down to something acceptable for kids and given it a TV rating of, say, TV-PG.

My question is who do I complain to? My local provider? Comcast Corporate? iGuide Corporate? TV Guide Corporate? All of the above? Is this really just a request for a software enhancement? Should I expect them to already know about this and that they are planning to implement it once they finish with their first round of bug fixes?

I understand iGuide is owned by Comcast and maybe TV Guide is owned by them, too.
post #563 of 10358 Old 11-28-2004, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveFi
My drive is also the Seagate ST3230025ACE and it's intollerably loud. I guess I'll have to keep exchanging it until I get the Maxtor.

You can tell if it is a Maxtor without ever hooking it up. The printing can be seen through the top vent holes. I can clearly see Maxtor.com through the top front vent holes.

Jim
post #564 of 10358 Old 11-28-2004, 12:01 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Jones
I have done this both ways (I'm constantly shifting from 1080i to 720p & back again). It really doesn't seem to matter.

The Aspect Ratio, Resolution, and 4:3 Override are in another settings menu, accessed while power is off and pressing 'Menu', navigate with arrows, and then exit by pressing 'Menu' again; 'Exit' doesn't work.

The Diagnostics menu has Signal to Noise Ratio, Temp, and others. As we discussed, power should be off and within 2 seconds press 'ok'. Navigation is with the arrows, and since 'ok' is used to select, then I would guess 'Exit' should work to exit; one shouldn't have to power cycle so much. I know the HDD is always running but, while off, it doesn't buffer.
post #565 of 10358 Old 11-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You can tell if it is a Maxtor without ever hooking it up. The printing can be seen through the top vent holes. I can clearly see Maxtor.com through the top front vent holes.

Mine is the Seagate ST3230025ACE and I can't hear it unless I put my ear to the 6412.

I guess the noisy ones are random.
post #566 of 10358 Old 11-28-2004, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mine was noisy only on bootup. The it quieted down.

post #567 of 10358 Old 11-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nielloeb
My question is who do I complain to? My local provider? Comcast Corporate? iGuide Corporate? TV Guide Corporate? All of the above? Is this really just a request for a software enhancement? Should I expect them to already know about this and that they are planning to implement it once they finish with their first round of bug fixes?

I understand iGuide is owned by Comcast and maybe TV Guide is owned by them, too.

Here are some phone numbers:

Gemstar-TV Guide/i-Guide - (212) 626-2564

Comcast Corp Office - (215) 665-1700

I'd call, in fact I am. I'd like to know who to give feedback to.

I'll call and see if I can get some contacts and better phone numbers, if they exist.

I'll post any useful information here.

As far as I know, Comcast doesn't own i-Guide but jointly created it with TV Guide. Mostly to do with avoiding a lawsuit Comcast would loose.
post #568 of 10358 Old 11-28-2004, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Derf
this morning there's no picture - guide data and whatnot are there, but no TV. I play around with it for a while, then try playing a recorded program. Comes right up and when I stop the replay, live TV is back!

Sounds like another bug in the software. Hope it doesn't get any worse.

Derf!

Same problem here. Happens regularly. Anyone know what's up with this?
post #569 of 10358 Old 11-28-2004, 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by markjrenna

Mine is the Seagate ST3230025ACE and I can't hear it unless I put my ear to the 6412.

I guess the noisy ones are random.

I have the Seagate, The only time I can hear it is if I turn off the TV and sit right in front of the box. I guess if it was in a bedroom while sleeping I may hear it. But that is what your going to get with anything with a hard drive.
post #570 of 10358 Old 11-28-2004, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dcfox
I have the Seagate, The only time I can hear it is if I turn off the TV and sit right in front of the box. I guess if it was in a bedroom while sleeping I may hear it. But that is what your going to get with anything with a hard drive.

Not so. I've been building computers since 1982 and have seen HDs come a long way. Even now though, every brand or model has their own sound and there's no one best brand overall for noise. I built my Linux music server with a Seagate (I think it was a ST380023?) and it's extremely quiet. I also have a ReplayTV 5080 and an original TiVo series 1. My original TiVo drive (a Quantum) was ok, but I upgraded it to a 120 GB Maxtor and it is all but silent. My ReplayTV box has the original drive (type unknown) and although this box is in the bedroom, it's still quiet enough to be unobtrusive.

My complaint with the Seagate in my 6412 is the head seek noise. Sometimes the box seems pretty quiet and not annoying at all. Other times, the head seems to be seeking non-stop - maybe it does some kind of defrag in the background and that's when it's noisy. When recording two shows at once, it's louder, but that's to be expected. My wife doesn't mind the noise, but it bugs me.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page