Official Comcast 6412 w/ iGuide Discussion - Page 328 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #9811 of 10358 Old 06-17-2007, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am still having issues with my HDMI connection just wondered if anyone could help. I have the 6412 III receiver hooked up to a Mits 62627 currently with comp. When i first hooked up my system last Oct. I was able to hook everything up via HDMI and everything worked great. I unplugged all of my equipment in December while I went out of town for 2 weeks at Christmas. When I came back and powered on my equipment the HDMI port no longer works. Through research I found that their was a software issue. Last week my DVR received the much awaited software upgrade which I assumed would fix the issue. I hooked up the Moto to my TV via HDMI and still no picture. My HD-DVD player works fine via HDMI so I know it is not the port on my tv. I went into the setup menu on the Moto and when to d11> INTERFACE/PORT SETTINGS > DVI/HDMI > enabled = no. I called Time Warner here in Dallas and asked them about this and they said they could send a pulse to my box which would reset it and allow the hdmi port to work. After 30 minutes of patiently waiting still no HDMI. Does anyone know if the port if their is a way to turn the port on, or should I just demand another unit. Have to wait till tomorrow anyway. If anyone has ran into this issue and found a fix please let me know.

BTW: Has anyone messed with the audio settings in their DCT6412 III interested to find out what settings others have used.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9812 of 10358 Old 06-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex1080 View Post

I am still having issues with my HDMI connection just wondered if anyone could help. I have the 6412 III receiver hooked up to a Mits 62627 currently with comp. When i first hooked up my system last Oct. I was able to hook everything up via HDMI and everything worked great. I unplugged all of my equipment in December while I went out of town for 2 weeks at Christmas. When I came back and powered on my equipment the HDMI port no longer works. Through research I found that their was a software issue. Last week my DVR received the much awaited software upgrade which I assumed would fix the issue. I hooked up the Moto to my TV via HDMI and still no picture. My HD-DVD player works fine via HDMI so I know it is not the port on my tv. I went into the setup menu on the Moto and when to d11> INTERFACE/PORT SETTINGS > DVI/HDMI > enabled = no. I called Time Warner here in Dallas and asked them about this and they said they could send a pulse to my box which would reset it and allow the hdmi port to work. After 30 minutes of patiently waiting still no HDMI. Does anyone know if the port if their is a way to turn the port on, or should I just demand another unit. Have to wait till tomorrow anyway. If anyone has ran into this issue and found a fix please let me know.

BTW: Has anyone messed with the audio settings in their DCT6412 III interested to find out what settings others have used.

Thanks,

You need to set your DVR to enable HDMI. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...2FYPbPr_Output

The Audio settings can be changed from the basic DVR Menu. Go to the Home screen, then Setup, then Audio. Mine is set to Advanced, no compression, stereo. One very knowledgeable TW engineer told me he set his to turn compression on so that there is less of a difference in volume between SD or analog and HD
stations.

Bernie
post #9813 of 10358 Old 06-17-2007, 12:38 PM

Is there still no support for an external hard drive on the Moto 3416?
post #9814 of 10358 Old 06-17-2007, 01:16 PM

I'm pretty new to all this HDTV stuff, and I have a question. We watched our first Pay-per-view movie on Friday and now the display on my 6412 III (Comcast) shows the channel number 166 most of the time and the channel its actually tuned to replaces the 166 for about a second maybe every 30 seconds. Everything seems to be functioning fine, but the channel display seems to be mostly stuck on 166. Whatsup with that?

Randy
post #9815 of 10358 Old 06-17-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie33 View Post

You need to set your DVR to enable HDMI.

Bernie

When I first received the moto I did have the HDMI settings under the menu but now it is no longer there. Instead it only shows YPbPr Settings and I can change the output resolution. When I go into the other menu OK/Select under d11 it shows DVI/HDMI enabled = no.
post #9816 of 10358 Old 06-17-2007, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie33 View Post

The Audio settings can be changed from the basic DVR Menu. Go to the Home screen, then Setup, then Audio. Mine is set to Advanced, no compression, stereo. One very knowledgeable TW engineer told me he set his to turn compression on so that there is less of a difference in volume between SD or analog and HD
stations.

Bernie

The audio settings only affect the analog R/L stereo outs. The coax digital, and optical audio outs are unaffected. Of course I listen almost exclusively with optical digital audio out.

I set mine to advanced matrix, light compression. That seems to provide good audio recordings on my DVDR.
post #9817 of 10358 Old 06-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex1080 View Post

When I first received the moto I did have the HDMI settings under the menu but now it is no longer there. Instead it only shows YPbPr Settings and I can change the output resolution. When I go into the other menu OK/Select under d11 it shows DVI/HDMI enabled = no.

Is your hdmi cable firmly seated at both ends? The online Motorola manual is dated, but it seems to indicate that if you don't have a dvi or hdmi connection then you will only see the YPbPr Settings. http://broadband.motorola.com/noflas...2659-001-a.pdf page 11.

If the problem persists you should call Time Warner and have them schedule a call. You don't have to "demand a new unit". If it is a setting the tech will fix it. If it is a problem with the box the tech should have another box with him. In my (limited) experience they usually have a few with them.
post #9818 of 10358 Old 06-18-2007, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmoore View Post

I'm pretty new to all this HDTV stuff, and I have a question. We watched our first Pay-per-view movie on Friday and now the display on my 6412 III (Comcast) shows the channel number 166 most of the time and the channel its actually tuned to replaces the 166 for about a second maybe every 30 seconds. Everything seems to be functioning fine, but the channel display seems to be mostly stuck on 166. Whatsup with that?

Try:
POWER off for a few seconds, then back on. (Just plain POWER button, not unplugging.)

Use the swap button to swap back and forth. Change channels on both tuners.

Go to the user setup and toggle the display from showing the time, then back to showing the channel. Save each setting, exit out of the menus, then go back, just to be certain:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...nt_LED_Display

Watch all recordings. Write down all series and scheduled recordings, just in case. Then POWER off, wait a few seconds, then unplug. After about 30 seconds, plug it back in. Wait about a minute before trying to POWER back on. It will take a few minutes for all menus to reload, about 30 minutes for near-term (6-8 hours) of Guide data to load, and about 8-24 hours for the full 2-week Guide data to load. You should not lose recordings or scheduled recordings, but bugs in the current firmware/software have caused losses during reboots. That's why I mention writing everything down and watching anything important first, just in case.

Finally, try the DVR Authorization and Factory Full Reset from the Wikibook:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...ola_DVR/Resets

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #9819 of 10358 Old 06-18-2007, 06:33 PM

andyross63,

Thanks for your help. Meanwhile, I did a swap and changed the channel there and this behavior disappeared.

Randy
post #9820 of 10358 Old 06-20-2007, 06:02 PM

I have been searching forever to find something. without going into detail...does anyone know how to clone the MAC from one 6412 to another?
Thank you
post #9821 of 10358 Old 06-20-2007, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by supworld View Post

I have been searching forever to find something. without going into detail...does anyone know how to clone the MAC from one 6412 to another?
Thank you

why would you want to do that?

ajwees41
post #9822 of 10358 Old 06-20-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post

why would you want to do that?

ajwees41

guess I got ripped off...hmmmm..great
post #9823 of 10358 Old 06-20-2007, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by supworld View Post

I have a 6412 from rented from provider and bought my own, same model. Now they want to charge me a service fee for the use of my own dvr. Not a rental fee. its less but to give them my mac on my own dvr they want to charge me. So I wanted to clone the mac so I will receive the signal from the provider. This is how the signal is sent...they have the MAC registered don't they? and send signal to that?

Please correct me if I am wrong..I am pc tech, just got into the DVR thing. Newbee with it.

That would be stealing

Are you in the US Comcast will not autorize a 6412 that was bought. They only rent them.

ajwees41
post #9824 of 10358 Old 06-23-2007, 07:50 AM

This is a huge thread and I skimmed it a bit but can't seem to find an answer to this.

I understand that any HDTV is supposed to take an incoming signal and scale it to it's native resolution. Why then, when I press info on the TV remote does it show it displaying as 720x480i? Because when I watch an upconverted DVD, it shows it displaying at 1280x720p. Also, I was at a friend's house last night, and they appeared to have a new Motorola box. The only way I could tell it's different is because there are no front A/V inputs and the red light was in the top right corner instead of the top left corner. This box appeared to be changing all 4:3 signals to 16:9. We weren't watching any of the shows in HD, I can be sure of that. So how do I get the aspect ratio to change from 4:3 to 16:9?

Thanks.
post #9825 of 10358 Old 06-23-2007, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradzilla View Post

This is a huge thread and I skimmed it a bit but can't seem to find an answer to this.

I understand that any HDTV is supposed to take an incoming signal and scale it to it's native resolution. Why then, when I press info on the TV remote does it show it displaying as 720x480i? Because when I watch an upconverted DVD, it shows it displaying at 1280x720p. Also, I was at a friend's house last night, and they appeared to have a new Motorola box. The only way I could tell it's different is because there are no front A/V inputs and the red light was in the top right corner instead of the top left corner. This box appeared to be changing all 4:3 signals to 16:9. We weren't watching any of the shows in HD, I can be sure of that. So how do I get the aspect ratio to change from 4:3 to 16:9?

Thanks.

Here's a link to the wiki page for the Motorola boxes, look under setup section, it's a good link for all your questions about the Motorola boxes.... http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR

Hope this helps.

Laters,
Mikef5
post #9826 of 10358 Old 06-23-2007, 02:20 PM

Hi all,

Tried to search through the thread as well as the wiki and I can't seem to find the answer to this... it seems really simple.

How do I mute the audio on the HDMI output? I've got my 6412 connected to my TV via HDMI, but I've got audio going out via coax SPDIF and I don't want it to use the TV speakers. Right now it's outputting both at the same time so I have to mute the TV every time. Is there a way to mute from the box?
post #9827 of 10358 Old 06-23-2007, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

turn the tv volume down to zero

also in the user settings menu, under HDMI advanced options you can disable the STB HDMI Audio.

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #9828 of 10358 Old 06-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swank6 View Post

Hi all,

Tried to search through the thread as well as the wiki and I can't seem to find the answer to this... it seems really simple.

How do I mute the audio on the HDMI output? I've got my 6412 connected to my TV via HDMI, but I've got audio going out via coax SPDIF and I don't want it to use the TV speakers. Right now it's outputting both at the same time so I have to mute the TV every time. Is there a way to mute from the box?

In addition to the advice from scanpa, you may have a setting on your TV to always have your TV muted (and without showing "mute" on the screen).
post #9829 of 10358 Old 06-23-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanpa View Post

turn the tv volume down to zero

also in the user settings menu, under HDMI advanced options you can disable the STB HDMI Audio.

Thanks. (I'm retarded)
post #9830 of 10358 Old 06-23-2007, 05:11 PM

Hello All:

I may have posted incorrectly . . . wanted to start a new thread . . .sorry!

Anyway, the issue is that TV shows recorded will first pixellate [I call it artifacts from working with video] then lock up when playing them.

I am on my third box so it seems it is an issue with these boxes.

I have done a HDD Reset [as per wiki] but the problem persists.

Time for a new boxx?

Thanks for any help!

Bob
post #9831 of 10358 Old 06-24-2007, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller2 View Post

Hello All:

I may have posted incorrectly . . . wanted to start a new thread . . .sorry!

Anyway, the issue is that TV shows recorded will first pixellate [I call it artifacts from working with video] then lock up when playing them.

I am on my third box so it seems it is an issue with these boxes.

I have done a HDD Reset [as per wiki] but the problem persists.

Time for a new boxx?

Thanks for any help!

Bob

Does the box actually lock up (eg you cannot press any button) or does the picture remain blank? Sometimes where there's a bad segment in the recording you may be able to jump over with the commecial skip or the fast-forward buttons.

As to your main concern, are you getting this with every prorgram recorded on every box? How about going back and forward on the live tuner buffer? Is there a pattern on the type of channels (eg 2-99, or 100+)?

Boldly trying a new DVR: http://moto3416review.blogspot.com/
post #9832 of 10358 Old 06-25-2007, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaahoops View Post

Does the box actually lock up (eg you cannot press any button) or does the picture remain blank? Sometimes where there's a bad segment in the recording you may be able to jump over with the commecial skip or the fast-forward buttons.

As to your main concern, are you getting this with every proAs far as what channel, it isgram recorded on every box? How about going back and forward on the live tuner buffer? Is there a pattern on the type of channels (eg 2-99, or 100+)?

Thanks for your reply!

Based on your wording, it doesn't lock up - trying fast forward results in an error screen [I will try to get the error number the next time it happens]. If I hit the "last" button, it takes me back to regular TV. The recorded program can then be re-started but typically will again 'freeze' - not necessarily at the same point. Sometimes recordings are perfect but not usually.

As far as what channel, 2 to 99.

Bob
post #9833 of 10358 Old 06-27-2007, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller2 View Post

Thanks for your reply!

Based on your wording, it doesn't lock up - trying fast forward results in an error screen [I will try to get the error number the next time it happens]. If I hit the "last" button, it takes me back to regular TV. The recorded program can then be re-started but typically will again 'freeze' - not necessarily at the same point. Sometimes recordings are perfect but not usually.

As far as what channel, 2 to 99.

Bob

I haven't seen this exact error as you describe it.

I did have one box that had issues with the ADS channels 2-99, the picture would not show during fast-forward or back-forward but the position would move. And the picture reappeared after I pressed play. So this could perhaps be another ADS-related problem? (I am assuming it is not happening with the 100+ channels?)

Boldly trying a new DVR: http://moto3416review.blogspot.com/
post #9834 of 10358 Old 06-28-2007, 02:40 PM

I just had a problem with my 3412. It was recording all the time. It would be recording a show but the recording doesn't show up on the dvr recordings lists. It was actually recording the same show on both tuners. I canceled one of the recordings and it just started recording another channel.. I rebooted so it is not doing that any longer but my hard drive is pretty full now. I have like 4 recordings saved and it says over 70 percent full. I guess I am going to format the hard drive.

Blaine

Blaine
post #9835 of 10358 Old 07-04-2007, 05:28 PM

I have a Motorola DCT 6412 III set-top box and I'm unable to find the DVR menu item under the Quick Access Guide. It normally is the second item from the left but for some reason it has disappeared and is no longer a possible selection.

I did a regular power down of the box but that didn't solve the problem.

Any tips or suggestions? I plan on calling the cable company tomorrow since they were closed today for the 4th of July.

Thanks for any advice!
post #9836 of 10358 Old 07-04-2007, 05:39 PM

After a power-cycle of the box, it takes a period of time before it regains all of its features.
post #9837 of 10358 Old 07-04-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

After a power-cycle of the box, it takes a period of time before it regains all of its features.

Thanks for the response. Do you know approximately how much time it will take for the menu selections to return to normal? My power-cycle took place about four hours ago.

I appreciate any additional insight.
post #9838 of 10358 Old 07-04-2007, 05:51 PM

If the box and the head-end are both operating properly, it shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes. However, that does open the door to two possible avenues, before considering even deeper issues: The box could have encountered a fault that wasn't there before, or your area's head-end could be experiencing a problem. Regardless, you've done all you can reasonably due. Call Comcast.
post #9839 of 10358 Old 07-04-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plambert66 View Post

I have a Motorola DCT 6412 III set-top box and I'm unable to find the DVR menu item under the Quick Access Guide. It normally is the second item from the left but for some reason it has disappeared and is no longer a possible selection.

As already stated it could be a problem with the guide data, but the missing button could indicate a defective hard drive. If you can't access the recordings using the list button on the remote then the drive isn't being picked up by the DCT. Big company like Comcast should have 24/7 support :-)
post #9840 of 10358 Old 07-06-2007, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Is there anyway to jump to the start and end of the buffer? TIVO has this and it's handy, but I haven't seen any way to get to the start of the buffer other than rewinding until you get there, I know that I can hit the live button to get to live which I guess would be the same as jumping to the end of the buffer, but wondering if there is anyway to get to the start of the buffer other than rewinding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page