Official Comcast 6412 w/ iGuide Discussion - Page 334 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9991 of 10358 Old 09-11-2007, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm brand new to the forum and I've probably missed this but after some searching, I can't find any talk about failure of the 00174 skip code to work on the DCT 6412 III set top box. I'm with a small cable company (Grande) in the DFW area and got the box with a Motorola remote (not programable). I have an old Comcast remote which seems to work with the DCT 6412 III fine in all respects except when I program the skip code, it does not work. Is there something I've missed or will it just not work. Any help really appreciated.

Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9992 of 10358 Old 09-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicke View Post

I'm brand new to the forum and I've probably missed this but after some searching, I can't find any talk about failure of the 00174 skip code to work on the DCT 6412 III set top box. I'm with a small cable company (Grande) in the DFW area and got the box with a Motorola remote (not programable). I have an old Comcast remote which seems to work with the DCT 6412 III fine in all respects except when I program the skip code, it does not work. Is there something I've missed or will it just not work. Any help really appreciated.

Harry

The 30-sec skip code is 00173.

If that's not the issue, what kind of remote is it and what programming instructions are you following? My generic suggestion is to look at the Wikibook and make sure you're in line with what's written there.

Get WMC Recording Storage Pooler 1.0.0.

Get ATI HD Registry Tweaks 0.16. Updated 2009-12-31.

Get Firewire drivers for DVRs. Updated 2009-02-25.
post #9993 of 10358 Old 09-11-2007, 11:34 AM

Sorry, I just typed the skip code wrong in the posting. I am using the correct programing instructions for the skip code using the Comcast Silver remote. After looking at the Wikibook, I'm suspecting that Grande has the skip function disabled on my DCT 6412 III. If anyone has any other ideas on workarounds, I'd be glad to hear them.
post #9994 of 10358 Old 09-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My 6412 is dying.

When trying to play back recorded programs, they freeze, pixellate, and generally act like there is a bad spot on the hard disk. This results in very poor performance after that, with the freezing and pixellation occuring even on live programming. After a soft power-off/on cycle, it fixes the live programming, but the recorded stuff is probably toast. The hard disk is more than 90% full.

Unless someone has a workaround, or a strategy to save the recordings, I'll probably have to scratch everything and then trade the box in.

Fortunately, this happened just before the new season, rather than in the middle or at the end of the season.
post #9995 of 10358 Old 09-14-2007, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleAl View Post

Unless someone has a workaround, or a strategy to save the recordings, I'll probably have to scratch everything and then trade the box in.

There's always Firewire (see my sig).

post #9996 of 10358 Old 09-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I got home last night, and the 6412 displayed a message like "The DVR function is unavailable. The DVR function may be unavailable or disabled. Call Customer Service for support". I called Customer Service. The sent a cold reload, which failed to reload the firmware. The display got stuck at "..0", and did not show any video. The box was a vegetable after that.

The only recourse was to trade it in.

My guess is these things aren't architected to be very reliable.

See ya in the 3416 thread. They tried to foist a 3412 on me, but I insisted that the lady look for a 3416 instead.
post #9997 of 10358 Old 09-17-2007, 12:00 PM

Well, I was recording a half hour program last night on A&E (The Two Coreys) and it recorded it ALL night, erasing EVERYTHING on my DVR. Is this common or a sign that my DVR is dying? I'm pretty pissed right now as I had some things I wanted to watch.
post #9998 of 10358 Old 09-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown88 View Post

Well, I was recording a half hour program last night on A&E (The Two Coreys) and it recorded it ALL night, erasing EVERYTHING on my DVR. Is this common or a sign that my DVR is dying? I'm pretty pissed right now as I had some things I wanted to watch.

Not common, and not a problem with the DVR itself. Problem with iGuide.
post #9999 of 10358 Old 09-17-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie33 View Post

Yes it is a known bug - It is a conflict between the EPG software and the DVR Software. Should be fixed in the new firmware that will be out soon.

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #10000 of 10358 Old 09-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did you set a series recording not to record so that you could record another program, and then manually set a later airing to record?

If so, that problem is a known issue: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_..._space_is_full

post #10001 of 10358 Old 09-17-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Any way to stop it? I noticed a little blurb on the previous page.
post #10002 of 10358 Old 09-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Any way to stop it? I noticed a little blurb on the previous page.

Don't manually intervene. Just let the DVR skip recording the first airing while it records the other programs, and let it automatically record the subsequent airing. When you step in to manually set/unset recordings it causes the problem.

post #10003 of 10358 Old 09-18-2007, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ugh, that sucks. Another reason to mark all programs as Save until I delete. And another reason users should be able to make that the default option.
post #10004 of 10358 Old 09-18-2007, 11:12 AM

I have a Comcast Motorola 6412 DVR and am wanting to buy a DVD Recorder to archive shows from the DVR onto DVDs. My main priority is to get a DVD Recorder that will allow me to record 16:9 content (at 480i) onto the DVD, so that when played back on my HDTV it will be full frame 16:9. I know that means the source (my DVR) will have to send a squished 16:9 frame onto the 4:3 480i DVD recording. I don't care about the anamorphic flag being set, since I will not be viewing the DVDs on a 4:3 TV. I don't want the final result to have to be zoomed by the TV, since that cuts off part of the image. I know this has been achieved with other STB sources to a component input capable DVD recorder, but I'm wondering if it can be done with the 6412 (or other Comcast Moto boxes for that matter, I could always request a different version).

As I understand it, the Comcast Motorola 6412 DVR will not send squished 16:9 output via S-Video or Composite (it forces letterboxing), but I can't seem to find a definitive answer whether or not it can send 16:9 content via component output. I've seen claims that say 16:9 squished (anamorphic) can be done over component with the moto boxes, but I've yet to see that confirmed, meanwhile I've seen several other posts that say it can't be done over component either. At this point I doubt it...but I haven't given up yet...

The odd thing is that the 6412 has 480i as options in two different areas, "TV Type" and "HDMI/YPbPr Output". Under TV type, the options are:

- 16:9
- 4:3 Letterbox
- 4:3 Pan Scan

which leads you to think it can't be done. However, the options for "HDMI/YPbPr Output" are:

- 1080i
- 720p
- 480p
- 480i

I'm wondering if the Moto STB was set to these settings if it would work:

TV Type: 16:9
HDMI/YPbPr Output: 480i

this would require the DVD recorder to accept the 16:9 signal and squish it, rather than it being already squished at the source, which is how I typically understand it would need to be. Hopefully someone has tried this setting, and can let me know if it works or not.

Has ANYONE been able to record full 16:9 content to a DVD recorder from the 6412? If anyone knows a way to achieve this, please let me know what setting combo it takes.
post #10005 of 10358 Old 09-20-2007, 01:04 AM

I just recently received my DVR and performed a reset to make it finally download my providers (Shaw Cable) firmware. It is now on and seems to function, however, it has a Locks PIN enabled. This is my unit, I do not wish to have locks on things. Is there a way to remove this? I entered things like "1234" "0000" etc, to which I was eventually locked out. It says "Contact your provider or try again later".

I got this box in the evening when Shaw sales was closed, and had not ordered highdef prior to receiving the box. Would Shaw have a Locks PIN auto downloaded to my box? If I try to view channels that I do not subscribe to, it simply says something about being a subscription channel. So I doubt that Shaw would have a Locks PIN.

I have done the following:
DVR Authorization and Factory Full Reset

I have not done the "DVR HDD Reset" mentioned on that same page due to the button combination not working on my screen. I do get some diagnostic screen, but any button presses just cause it to disappear...

Thanks!
post #10006 of 10358 Old 09-20-2007, 07:00 AM

If this was a used box you will have to call Shaw and have them delete the old PIN through the billing system. There is no other way to get rid of it unless you do a full factory reset...and if you do that you'll have to call them anyway to have them send a refresh. Shaw can't tell what channels you're watching so they can't send a lock to the DCT. The locks PIN's are user locks for PPV purchase and ratings locks etc. Good luck.
post #10007 of 10358 Old 09-20-2007, 09:06 AM

Thank you for your reply, and sorry to sound rude, but do you even own one of these boxes? The Locks PIN is not for PPV or OnDemand services. It is only for parental control, blocking content above certain ratings etc. The Purchase PIN is seperate, and THAT controls access to services. This unit only appears to have the Locks PIN enabled, and no Purchase PIN. I would have to assume that since the latter is supplied by Shaw, this unit does not have one (I have not had it request for one yet).

I also mention in my above post that I did perform a factory reset, and the PIN still seems to be there.

Perhaps we have some miscommunication going on here.

Thanks again.
post #10008 of 10358 Old 09-20-2007, 11:56 AM

Is there any new news on the Tivo software and Comcast? I see the Tivo HD on sale at amazon for about 260 bucs and it is very tempting, but it will suck to lose On Demand...
post #10009 of 10358 Old 09-20-2007, 03:42 PM

I connect my Moto 6412 to a Mits WD-65732 via HDMI. However, I don't use the audio. I have a need for an extra HDMI connection (the Mits has two and I now have three devices). I have two choices:

1. Feed the HDMI connection into my Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS and use it as a switcher

2. Connect the Moto 6412 via component instead of HDMI.

Has anybody compared a component connection to an HDMI connection on the Moto 6412? Can you tell the difference?

Virtual reality is better then real reality - David
post #10010 of 10358 Old 09-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabhome View Post

I connect my Moto 6412 to a Mits WD-65732 via HDMI. However, I don't use the audio. I have a need for an extra HDMI connection (the Mits has two and I now have three devices). I have two choices:

1. Feed the HDMI connection into my Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS and use it as a switcher

Has anybody compared a component connection to an HDMI connection on the Moto 6412? Can you tell the difference?

It's very dependent on your TV; nobody can really answer for you. I saw jaggies and color issues via component, so I stick with DVI/HDMI. You may have better results, and some people prefer the component output.

My prevailing thought is that there is no way a digital->analog->digital signal path can look as good as or better than an all digital one, it's simply a matter of whether you notice any degradation.

Depending on your STB's firmware, you may have HDCP issues using the HDMI switcher in your Pioneer AVR. You'll have to test it to find out on that one.

There is another option, as well. I use a Joytech Tri-Link 3-Port HDMI Switch with Remote (3-to-1). It's cheap, it works without any HDCP issues, it has a remote and a small IR receiver on the end of a wire so you can hide the actual switch behind your equipment, and it can be powered from the USB port on the Moto 6412, so no need to add another AC adapter to your collection. I've been thinking about buying a back-up one, just in case. The price is so good and it works so well.

post #10011 of 10358 Old 09-21-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabhome View Post

I have compared both and honestly can't see a difference. But like Exdeus I prefer an all digital pathway instead of one that has an extra conversion step in it. In additon it is more convenient and requires fewer cables to run all your HDMI signals through the Pio and let it handle both audio and video -- i.e., switch the video and decode the audio.

I have my Moto 6412 and my Oppo 970 both connected via HDMI to a Pio Elite VSX-72TXV and it works perfectly. That way the digital audio also goes directly to the AVR and no extra cable (coax or optical) is needed. I have used the learning function on the Pio's remote to program the commands for the Moto and the Oppo and use it as a universal remote (not as elegant as a Harmony, but no extra cost either). One button press switches the source and then the remote controls the new source -- both audio and video.

NOTE that as ExDeus said you need the right firmware in the Moto to send its HDMI through an AVR. Must be at least 16.20 or above (or in another series I think it is 12.35 or above). See this thread for extensive discussion of this topic.
post #10012 of 10358 Old 09-21-2007, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a Comcast 6412 P3, a Denon 3805 AVR, and a Sammy 56" DLP. I have component running to the AVR, then the DLP, and I have HDMI running from the Moto directly to the DLP. Having compared the pictures from both inputs quite a bit, I find only a VERY slight difference between the two. The HDMI seems slightly brighter, nothing else. Of course, YMMV.

I've been having some other problems with my 6412 lately. Slow reverse doesn't move, it stays paused, even though the indicator bar indicates slow reverse. Also, I have trouble exiting slow forward. I used to just hit "Play" to exit forward slow and resume play, but that now has no effect. I have to hit "Pause" again, then hit "Play." Has anyone else noticed this sort of thing lately?
post #10013 of 10358 Old 09-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Curious if anyone knows of any limit to the number of series recording entries that can be programmed into the I-Guide DVR on a Motorola DCT-6412 Phase 2.

I currently have 16 entries in my series recording list. Not all are current, there's stuff like Hell's Kitchen (which is now over), and The Soprano's might still be in there (which of course is done with) etc..

Many time's I go to modify a series recording the box turns off with no warning. It basically reboots itself, much like a malfunctioning PC with a failing power supply, or O/S kernel panic. When it comes back up there is no guide data for a good 30 minutes or so.

I want to avoid this 'spontaneous reboot' like the plague. The only thing that I can think of unique to my box is the somewhat large number of series recording entries. I'll clean these up tomorrow no problem, but I was wondering if anyone knows a hard (or artificial) limit?

Firmware 16.35
TV Guide OS 74.53-4003
Comcast Reading, PA (750 MHz)
FDC 104.5 MHz 21 dB S/N
Average SNR 33.5 - 34.9
post #10014 of 10358 Old 09-23-2007, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post

Curious if anyone knows of any limit to the number of series recording entries that can be programmed into the I-Guide DVR on a Motorola DCT-6412 Phase 2.

I currently have 16 entries in my series recording list. Not all are current, there's stuff like Hell's Kitchen (which is now over), and The Soprano's might still be in there (which of course is done with) etc..

Many time's I go to modify a series recording the box turns off with no warning. It basically reboots itself, much like a malfunctioning PC with a failing power supply, or O/S kernel panic. When it comes back up there is no guide data for a good 30 minutes or so.

I want to avoid this 'spontaneous reboot' like the plague. The only thing that I can think of unique to my box is the somewhat large number of series recording entries. I'll clean these up tomorrow no problem, but I was wondering if anyone knows a hard (or artificial) limit?

Firmware 16.35
TV Guide OS 74.53-4003
Comcast Reading, PA (750 MHz)
FDC 104.5 MHz 21 dB S/N
Average SNR 33.5 - 34.9

We have a 6412-III and we have always had over 20 Series recordings set. Currently there are 26 and do not have the problem you described.
post #10015 of 10358 Old 09-24-2007, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

We have a 6412-III and we have always had over 20 Series recordings set. Currently there are 26 and do not have the problem you described.

Interesting. I can't usually modify them. It's best to delete it and create it from scratch. Perhaps since yours is a series 3 it's a little more stable with the slightly faster CPU.

Or maybe you have a different firmware or guide version. It's hard for me to believe my box is failing (bad power supply), because it only does this when modifying a series recording. So it is a reproduceable event. I think I posted about this last time on the previous page of this thread.
post #10016 of 10358 Old 09-24-2007, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Interesting. I can't usually modify them. It's best to delete it and create it from scratch. Perhaps since yours is a series 3 it's a little more stable with the slightly faster CPU.

Or maybe you have a different firmware or guide version. It's hard for me to believe my box is failing (bad power supply), because it only does this when modifying a series recording. So it is a reproduceable event. I think I posted about this last time on the previous page of this thread.

If you look at the numbers associated with each series recording, is it sequential 1-16 or is there a gap in the numbers? A while back i had a problem where I deleted a series recording and it left a gap in my numbers. After I got the gap, I was unable to modify other series recordings. I don't recall what the fix was, but the answer is either in this thread or in the wiki. I may have had to remove all series recordings, save and exit the menu, then reschedule all series recordings.
post #10017 of 10358 Old 09-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When I replied I didn't focus on the fact that you said "modify". I was more focused on the number of series recordings. The only time we modify series recordings are to tell it not to record a specific episode. I don't know when else we would want to modify a series recording except the channel, and it won't let us modify the channel. The reason we'd like to modify the channel is because if a show is broadcast on an analog channel and a standard digital channel, eventually the future shows always switch back to the analog channel.

Last time I checked our DVR is at version 16.35.
Bernie
post #10018 of 10358 Old 09-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When I replied I didn't focus on the fact that you said "modify". I was more focused on the number of series recordings. The only time we modify series recordings are to tell it not to record a specific episode. I don't know when else we would want to modify a series recording except the channel, and it won't let us modify the channel. The reason we'd like to modify the channel is because if a show is broadcast on an analog channel and a standard digital channel, eventually the future shows always switch back to the analog channel.

Last time I checked our DVR is at version 16.35.
Bernie

Well I moved my series recordings from 17+ down to 12. I was then able to modify the "London Live!" entry to only record new episodes and only save 2 at a time without rebooting. Otherwise, London Live is on Mojo like 5 times a day, and I would be constantly maintaining my recordings list to keep my space down!

The reason I modify a series recording is if I just quickly set it up (or the woman sets it up) and notice it's recording way too much, so I go in to save only x number of episodes.
post #10019 of 10358 Old 09-25-2007, 08:29 AM

The time displayed on my DCT-6416 is about 2 minutes less than the actual time. Since I do most of my recording by pushing "record" while in the I-guide, the net effect is that all of the recorded shows are missing the first two minutes. I cycled the power (unplugged) on the box... no help. I then called Comcast and was told to cycle the power They also sent a hit to the box to no avail. The problem was then "escalated", and I've heard nothing since. Anybody else have this problem?
post #10020 of 10358 Old 09-25-2007, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLYMOUTH View Post

The time displayed on my DCT-6416 is about 2 minutes less than the actual time. Since I do most of my recording by pushing "record" while in the I-guide, the net effect is that all of the recorded shows are missing the first two minutes. I cycled the power (unplugged) on the box... no help. I then called Comcast and was told to cycle the power They also sent a hit to the box to no avail. The problem was then "escalated", and I've heard nothing since. Anybody else have this problem?

I don't have the problem. But until they figure out what it is, as a workaround, whenever you record something, go into the recording options menu and set it to start a couple of minutes early.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page