post #91 of 10358 Old 11-11-2004, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Originally posted by scolumbo
btw, did you get your box exchanged for one that works?

Nope. I just use alternate methods. It still does everything I need done, so I'm leaving well enough alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 10358 Old 11-11-2004, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by tall1
It just cracks me up on these forums when I have a question and right before I get to typing it in, there is someone else who had just asked and answered the same question. Thanks for the info.

I guess that means there really is no "dumb question". Glad I played a part!

Carl Jones
post #93 of 10358 Old 11-11-2004, 10:42 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The 6412 will be my first digital cable STB. I already have two power components, whose plugs don't fit through the opening in the back of the furniture.

Could someone please measure the dimensions of the plug?
(preferably in millimeters)

I want to have all the wires in place when the installer gets here; in order to that, I have to know whether this STB will go inside or outside the furniture.

Thanks
post #94 of 10358 Old 11-11-2004, 12:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Brajesh
I may have missed this, but the 6412 can dump to D-VHS just like the 6208 right? I'm getting ready to swap out my 6208 for a 6412 & wanted to be sure of this before I did it.

My work flawless here in Chicago. I run it through my Mits display though.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #95 of 10358 Old 11-11-2004, 12:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by DaveFi
Anyone notice if they fixed the Firewire networking problem? It didn't daisy-chain as a proper Firewire device before.

I plan on testing that soon. The non-networking capability bugged me too.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #96 of 10358 Old 11-11-2004, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Plug needs a 1/2 by 3/4 inch hole. Conversion to millimeters is left as an exercise for the student. :>
post #97 of 10358 Old 11-11-2004, 06:38 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Derf
Has anyone had a problem with the 6412s turning themselves off? Both my units turn themselves off at exactly 10pm CST every.

Well, thats what you get when you have TWO 6412's, and most of us can't even get ONE.
post #98 of 10358 Old 11-11-2004, 09:21 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

Originally posted by LaxStar18
Gov - The mute button on the comcast remote controls the mute on the TV not on the cable box. If you were to hit the mute button on the remote it would nothing to solve the problem only mute your TV assuming your TV was programed into the remote. This other mute is engaged by the STB and unless you know how to program the remote and found the code you would be SOL. But thanks

Weird....My "mute" button actually muted the STB

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #99 of 10358 Old 11-12-2004, 07:22 AM

Problem with my 6412 (Comcast Chicago):

I decided that it would be a good idea to check the status screen on my box, so I turned it off, hit 'select' and went into the status screen. Browsed around, checked a few things out, no big deal right?

Wellllllllllll, when i exited the screen and went back to an "off" box, and I turned it on again, no picture. It would display the guide info, change channels, go into the guide, etc. ONLY when i played a saved program from the dvr section and then exited it would the picture come on.

I unplugged it for 30 seconds, plugged it back in, and that seemed to fix it b/c I was able to turn it on and get a picture...but now it is back to its old tricks, and I have not gone into any status screens.

Any advice?
post #100 of 10358 Old 11-12-2004, 07:41 AM

Okay...I just got my 6412 today...and of course included was the OLD remote that does not have a swap button. Is there a workaround for this until Comcast gets the new remotes in? (Yes I called and was told they are out of this remote for a couple of weeks).

Better yet. Can somebody send me a ccf file for my pronto 2000 remote that has it programmed? Please?
post #101 of 10358 Old 11-12-2004, 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by hibs99
Problem with my 6412 (Comcast Chicago):

I decided that it would be a good idea to check the status screen on my box, so I turned it off, hit 'select' and went into the status screen. Browsed around, checked a few things out, no big deal right?

Wellllllllllll, when i exited the screen and went back to an "off" box, and I turned it on again, no picture. It would display the guide info, change channels, go into the guide, etc. ONLY when i played a saved program from the dvr section and then exited it would the picture come on.

I unplugged it for 30 seconds, plugged it back in, and that seemed to fix it b/c I was able to turn it on and get a picture...but now it is back to its old tricks, and I have not gone into any status screens.

Any advice?

I can only guess that you set HDTV picture mode on your box to something that isn't compatible with your TV's component input. In this case when you stumble on HD channel you lose picture, but when playing SD program from DVR your box switches back to SD override mode.

Try connecting via S-Video or Composite and check status screen for HD settings.
post #102 of 10358 Old 11-12-2004, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by butvinik
I can only guess that you set HDTV picture mode on your box to something that isn't compatible with your TV's component input. In this case when you stumble on HD channel you lose picture, but when playing SD program from DVR your box switches back to SD override mode.

Try connecting via S-Video or Composite and check status screen for HD settings.

I am having the same problem, and it doesn't specific to HDTV channels or not. If I watch something stored on the hard drive in HD or SD it works fine. But if you turn the box off and back on all channels are blacked out until I watch something from the hard drive, then all channells including HD work fine again.

xBL gamertag: BladeRunner123
post #103 of 10358 Old 11-12-2004, 08:40 AM

I was mucking about with the menu and had the same thing happen. Tried reversing the order - cable off then tv off or vice versa - but no picture until I played a recorded program.

It was working fine til then. Oh well. I will continue investigating here as well.
post #104 of 10358 Old 11-12-2004, 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ivsimler
Okay...I just got my 6412 today...and of course included was the OLD remote that does not have a swap button. Is there a workaround for this until Comcast gets the new remotes in? (Yes I called and was told they are out of this remote for a couple of weeks).

Better yet. Can somebody send me a ccf file for my pronto 2000 remote that has it programmed? Please?

see page 4 of this thread for the work around...as far as the ccf file goes...I'm a harmony guy so can't help you there, sorry.
post #105 of 10358 Old 11-12-2004, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Is there any way to defrag the 6412? I am curious because I hoping that it would help with the pixelation with HD.
post #106 of 10358 Old 11-12-2004, 10:01 AM

Ok, I'm going nuts over here in Chicago (Comcast). They have delivered and set up my 6412, but there is one big problem. They gave out the old remotes, with, from what I'm told, no intention of getting any of the new remotes. The new remote (the DRC-800) has the PiP feature and a few others that the remote being distributed doesn't have. The old remote has none of the settings features for aspect ratio, and the "on demand" button does nothing but make a "1" show up on the top fo the screen for a couple of seconds. I have searched high and low for somewhere to buy the DRC-800 but I can't find anywhere that sells it in packs of under 200.

Comcast told me all about PiP on the phone when I asked and then you can't even use it. They have a sticker on the remote that says "TV/VCR = swap" to go between tuners. I'm not totally sure that the features will work even if I have the buttons for them. There is no way to access the PiP feature without the remote though.

Anyone that has one, and has already programmed it into your universal remote......would you be willing to send me the remote so I can pull the codes, and then I'd send it back? I would pre-pay you for shipping with paypal if desired.

Suggestions? Knowlege on the subject?

Thanks,
jeff
post #107 of 10358 Old 11-12-2004, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

There are no PIP features on the 6412. So, even if you had the DRC 800, you would not have PIP.

As to the swap function, was your TV/VCR button correctly reprogrammed to accomplish that function? If not, see the posts earlier in this thread on how to program the swap function onto one of the remote's buttons.
post #108 of 10358 Old 11-12-2004, 10:34 AM

@Jeff
Look in the HDTV Reception forum for the Chicago - Comcast thread. That thread has the three setup codes you will want. These three are: 30 second skip, swap, and un-mute. You should be able to learn the codes to your current remote ( I used the tv/vcr button ) one at a time and then use your universal remote to learn the IR. Hope that helps.

@all, I noticed that the new style of remote with the PIP section at the bottom has markings for day+ and day- on the B and C buttons (above the shuttle buttons). These two buttons are functional in the new Iguide software to jump from day to day in the guide. The bad news is that the old remotes do not work using the same buttons.

Steve
post #109 of 10358 Old 11-12-2004, 12:17 PM

Yeah, the swap works, i just found it weird and hacked that it was on a sticker on the remote (leading me to believe it was the wrong remote). I'll have to call Comcast about the PiP stuff since the sales rep talked about it with me (obviously not knowing what she was talking about). I HATE when companies give false info. SonomaSearcher: do you know if PiP will be available since it is on the remote? it boggles my mind that any dual-tuner device doesn't do PiP.

jeff
post #110 of 10358 Old 11-12-2004, 02:04 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grittree
Plug needs a 1/2 by 3/4 inch hole. Conversion to millimeters is left as an exercise for the student. :>

I only asked for millimeters, because it is easier to be precise.
That seems like a small plug, it is even smaller than the Xbox's plug.
Well, it will fit, because I have an opening the width of the furniture, the only issue was the height, and of course the plug can be turned either way to fit, but this will fit either way.

Thanks
post #111 of 10358 Old 11-12-2004, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chimchim5
[BThese two buttons are functional in the new Iguide software to jump from day to day in the guide. The bad news is that the old remotes do not work using the same buttons.
[/b]

If you mean the silver remotes as the old remotes, the +-day buttons work fine on the Iguide 6412. Combined with the trivially easy way to add 30sec skip and tuner swap, I see no need to ever get the new ones until PIP is ready.
post #112 of 10358 Old 11-12-2004, 06:04 PM

I've had my 6412 for 5 days now, and I've noticed that I don't appear to be getting an LFE signal sent to my SVS subwoofer.

Is this, perhaps, a setup/configuration problem in the 6412?

JimmyA
post #113 of 10358 Old 11-12-2004, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

We are just starting to get the 6412 here in Boston through Comcast. I got mine this afternoon earlier than their expected release due to serious issues I've been having with my HD service and the 6208.

Couple questions for people in other cities:

1. What is the model number on the bottom of your 6412? Mine says 6412/2005.

2. What firmware do you currently have? The firmware on my says 09.12. I'm not sure if this is standard for all Comcast users.
post #114 of 10358 Old 11-13-2004, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Has anyone had a problem with the 6412s turning themselves off? Both my units turn themselves off at exactly 10pm CST every night. I've looked in every menu I can think of trying to find a "auto shutdown" setting, but to no avail.

So far, it's just been an annoyance, but one day I'm sure I'll be recording something that goes past 10pm and I'll end up with a truncated recording.

I've noticed that if the box turns itself on to record something it will automatically shut itself off when that recording is done (even if I start watching something else in the meantime). Could this be what you are seeing?
post #115 of 10358 Old 11-13-2004, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I've noticed that if the box turns itself on to record something it will automatically shut itself off when that recording is done (even if I start watching something else in the meantime). Could this be what you are seeing?

I have a theory as to what is happening, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. Last night, the 6412 did not turn itself off at 10pm - and I was only recording one show that ended at 10pm.

I think what's happening is that if both tuners are recording shows that end at the same time and you are watching a pre-recorded show, the box will turn itself off when the recordings end.

Looking back on it, that's the scenario every time the box turned off. I record a bunch of the 9pm dramas on the various networks (Law & Order vs CSI:NY, etc.), but I'm usually watching something else while those shows are recording. When those shows end - off goes the box.

I'm going to test this next week, as I have a campout with my son this weekend.
post #116 of 10358 Old 11-13-2004, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
I have a theory as to what is happening, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. Last night, the 6412 did not turn itself off at 10pm - and I was only recording one show that ended at 10pm.

I think what's happening is that if both tuners are recording shows that end at the same time and you are watching a pre-recorded show, the box will turn itself off when the recordings end.

Looking back on it, that's the scenario every time the box turned off. I record a bunch of the 9pm dramas on the various networks (Law & Order vs CSI:NY, etc.), but I'm usually watching something else while those shows are recording. When those shows end - off goes the box.

I'm going to test this next week, as I have a campout with my son this weekend.

Comcast NJ - Union/Verona

Is the box on or off before the recordings start?

If the box is off it will go off when the recordings are done.

If the box was on when the recordings start, the box should not go off when the recordings finish.

Is this what you experience or am I way off?
post #117 of 10358 Old 11-13-2004, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally posted by tennberg
1. What is the model number on the bottom of your 6412? Mine says 6412/2005.

2. What firmware do you currently have? The firmware on my says 09.12. I'm not sure if this is standard for all Comcast users.

The same on both accounts.
post #118 of 10358 Old 11-13-2004, 03:58 PM

I've had the Motorola 6412 dvr installed yesterday (to be exact they replaced the single tuner one I've had already). All is fine except there's no programming on one of the tuners - it reads "One Moment Please. .... be available shortly". It's been like that since it was installed. All is fine on the other tuner of the same box. Comcast has reset the box at least twice by now to no avail. Anyone with similar problem? I'm thinking there might be something configuration wise that I could fix myself as the signal definitely is coming to my box. I have little to none faith in Comcast reps.
thanks.
post #119 of 10358 Old 11-13-2004, 05:07 PM

got 6412, old remote. how do I switch tuners?
post #120 of 10358 Old 11-13-2004, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

OK I just got the 6412 a few hours ago (along with cable internet)
I have a silver remote and can't see a "swap" button.
How do I access the second tuner?

My (WIP) DVD Collection ; Gallery; Lobby Logos ; Easy Shaker Setup ; My site - WIP
If you PERSONALLY enjoy YOUR setup, then enjoy it and don't worry about the other person or the experts!!
Suggestions: Try your walls first and setup projector BEFORE making/buying screen. Measure twice, Cut once!!
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page