Official Comcast 6412 w/ iGuide Discussion - Page 82 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #2431 of 10358 Old 01-25-2005, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

Originally posted by mrzzmr
OK, so after hearing everyone's suggestions here, I tried a manual recording for last night's one hour episode. Actually I still had the series record, plus I did a manual record from 8:59 to 10:01. Well, it recorded both, but as saved both versions were cut off at the same exact time, i.e. 34 minutes into the one hour series record and 35 minutes into the manual record. This is the first time I've heard on this board of a manual record not saving the whole time. Next Monday I'll try manual record only and see what happens.

In my experience, when one tuner freezes, the other one freezes simultaneously or shortly thereafter.

Last night I
  • recorded 24 on series record on my 6412
  • recorded 24 on an SVHS VCR
  • had my wife record 24 on her TiVo
  • watched 24 live
After all those precautions, nothing went wrong! Surprisingly enough, 24 recorded perfectly on my 6412.

On the other hand, I did experience the 49-minute freeze when recording Numbers the other night with no backup at all, so I don't know how that show ended.

So my new theory is that the 6412 knows whether you're recording backups... and only misbehaves when you aren't...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 10358 Old 01-25-2005, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Genovese
2. The VOD menu has no obvious way of backing up a level, once the movie list has been reached. The only way I found to back up is to exit completely and start over. If I missed how to do this, please enlighten me.

PG

Try the "Last" button.
post #2433 of 10358 Old 01-25-2005, 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bweissman

On the other hand, I did experience the 49-minute freeze when recording Numbers the other night with no backup at all, so I don't know how that show ended.

Surprise, surprise. They caught the bad guy and the mathematical formula they designed to pinpoint the location where he lived was accurate.

post #2434 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 12:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked: 1841
"Got that replaced and the second box started freezing up on me. Dunno why it would do this, but I would be watching a channel, the picture and audio would freeze, and I'd have to change channels to get the box to work again.

Had the second box replaced for a third last week, and all was well for about 3 days. Now the third box is doing the damn freezing thing again. The Comcast tech said this was a new one and he hadn't heard of it before. Is anyone else having this problem?? Is there a fix? I really need some help here guys!"

I have had this happen about 25 times since getting this heaping pile of junk yesterday.

It goes back to Comcast tomorrow as I continue to waste time with it.

I'm on a two-strikes policy.

While I see some limited merit in this box vs. other, how do you say, good DVRs, it is obvious from this thread that there is no QC at Motorola. The failure rate is obviously well into the double digits (and I should've known better as when I picked mine up there were 3 people in line returning theirs due to various defects / malfunctions / whatnot).

I'm very happy for those of you who can't get DirecTV and I agree that $10 / month beats $900 once +$5 by a wide swath. But the truth is that for us here, DirecTV is cheaper than Comcast by a lot and, well, DirecTV's DVR is better than this thing -- even if working -- by a lot.

That said, I found some features that are better than the DirecTV / Tivo / HD DVR already so I hope we can get a better bucket of bolts the next time around. Otherwise, Comcast can add us to the ex-customer list.

There's a saying about "everything in moderation". If only it was applied to well, you know...
post #2435 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Keller
Try the "Last" button.

Keller,

Thanks, that obviously does work. Somehow I missed that button when I programmed my universal remote with what I though were all of the 6214's commands. That makes things much easier.

Hopefully that oversight doesn't discredit the rest of my post. Or if you have other suggestions that resolve the other points raised.

Thanks again,

PG
post #2436 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just added a 6412 yesterday, only had enough time to learn and add mute, skip and swap functions to my remote. This may already be reported if so I apologize for not able to go through all the posts.

I apparently have two-tuner only partially working. I can schedule one, then watch another channel or start recording it when the schduled channel was also recording, but can not schedule two recordings when there is conflict. I also don't see anything when pressing my "swap" key. The cable DVR has some catching-up to do with DBS DVRs obviously.

My firmware version is 9.12 I think. Thank you in advance.
post #2437 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by rogo
"Got that replaced and the second box started freezing up on me. Dunno why it would do this, but I would be watching a channel, the picture and audio would freeze, and I'd have to change channels to get the box to work again.

Had the second box replaced for a third last week, and all was well for about 3 days. Now the third box is doing the damn freezing thing again. The Comcast tech said this was a new one and he hadn't heard of it before. Is anyone else having this problem?? Is there a fix? I really need some help here guys!"

I have had this happen about 25 times since getting this heaping pile of junk yesterday.

It goes back to Comcast tomorrow as I continue to waste time with it.

I'm on a two-strikes policy.

While I see some limited merit in this box vs. other, how do you say, good DVRs, it is obvious from this thread that there is no QC at Motorola. The failure rate is obviously well into the double digits (and I should've known better as when I picked mine up there were 3 people in line returning theirs due to various defects / malfunctions / whatnot).

I'm very happy for those of you who can't get DirecTV and I agree that $10 / month beats $900 once +$5 by a wide swath. But the truth is that for us here, DirecTV is cheaper than Comcast by a lot and, well, DirecTV's DVR is better than this thing -- even if working -- by a lot.

That said, I found some features that are better than the DirecTV / Tivo / HD DVR already so I hope we can get a better bucket of bolts the next time around. Otherwise, Comcast can add us to the ex-customer list.

Have them check signal strength when they come out. Old splitters and such can really have a big impact on these overly sensitive boxes. Good luck! I still like mine!

Chuck Mullen
post #2438 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Keller
Stuart -
To expand on the answers above -
For local networks, Comcast offers the digital channel version as well as analog. The Digital channel is where HD is broadcast. When a show is not HD, it sends a digital version in SD. Picture quality of SD programs is excellent, night and day difference vs the analog.

In my opinion, the quality of SD when broadcast on an HD channel varies. In particular, I was watching the Buick Open golf tournament last Sunday on my HD ABC channel and the quality was terrible. The best I can describe it is that there was lots of ghosting, that is, multiple edges of the images. It was so bad that I literally could not read the displayed text (leader board, etc). Then, when the tournament went long, the broadcast switched over to ESPN and the quality was terrific. Same cameras, same announcers, amazing difference in quality. When I called Comcast, they said that ESPN broadcasts a 1080i signal 24 hours a day, even when SD material is shown. However, my ABC channel (and other networks too) only broadcasts a 1080i signal during prime time (or when specifically airing an HD event). Although the image on my ABC HD channel was "smoother" than on the SD channel, the "artifacting" made the viewing experience much worse.
post #2439 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by crossbeaux
In my opinion, the quality of SD when broadcast on an HD channel varies. In particular, I was watching the Buick Open golf tournament last Sunday on my HD ABC channel and the quality was terrible. The best I can describe it is that there was lots of ghosting, that is, multiple edges of the images. It was so bad that I literally could not read the displayed text (leader board, etc). Then, when the tournament went long, the broadcast switched over to ESPN and the quality was terrific. Same cameras, same announcers, amazing difference in quality. When I called Comcast, they said that ESPN broadcasts a 1080i signal 24 hours a day, even when SD material is shown. However, my ABC channel (and other networks too) only broadcasts a 1080i signal during prime time (or when specifically airing an HD event). Although the image on my ABC HD channel was "smoother" than on the SD channel, the "artifacting" made the viewing experience much worse.

This is inaccurate. ABC never broadcasts in 1080i anywhere in the country, and the broadcast of 720p is consistent regardless of the source material here. That's why the 4:3 override doesn't work on the digital channel.

I know here ABC carries 2 subchannels, and there is a debate whether the bitrate split causes a change in picture quality.

I don't know how to account for the ABC/ESPN differential in quality you saw, but who ever you talked to gave you some bum info.
post #2440 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2417 Post(s)
Liked: 2245
Quote:

Originally posted Rogo

Quote:

Originally posted by Chuck Mullen
Have them check signal strength when they come out. Old splitters and such can really have a big impact on these overly sensitive boxes. Good luck! I still like mine!

That's just what I was going to mention as well. These boxes seem very susceptible to marginal signal strength. If you go into the diagnostics-menu you'll see that even each tuner within the STB will have different SNR and AGC readings for a given channel.

Is the Palo Alto system a recent rebuild? 750-860MHz? I'm on a 550MHz system and as I mentioned in the Comcast-SF thread it has worked very well, with the caveat that I have nothing to do with any sd-analog channels.
post #2441 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by frankz1
This is inaccurate. ABC never broadcasts in 1080i anywhere in the country

Actually, *this* is inaccurate. WFAA, the DFW-area ABC affiliate, broadcasts 1080i. This is due to them being owned by Belo. The majority of Belo's stations are affiliated with the 1080i networks and they did not want to have multiple platforms within their corporate holdings. It is rare, but it can/does happen in some markets....at least one, anyway.

-Randy

Randy
post #2442 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by IFLYSWA
Actually, *this* is inaccurate. WFAA, the DFW-area ABC affiliate, broadcasts 1080i. This is due to them being owned by Belo. The majority of Belo's stations are affiliated with the 1080i networks and they did not want to have multiple platforms within their corporate holdings. It is rare, but it can/does happen in some markets....at least one, anyway.

-Randy

OK, you got me. One errant ABC station in the country broadcasts in 1080i according to ABC.com
Quote:

ABC broadcasts all of its programming using the 720p format except in Dallas, where the ABC station broadcasts in 1080i.

Shoulda done a web search before saying "never," as I am clearly out of touch with the goings on in important media markets like DFW and Omaha. My bad.
post #2443 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 01:21 PM

I think I have the oddest 6412 problem and I beleive my box was swapped out for a new one the last time Comcast came out (I wasn't there). Anyway, my Fox and WB HDs come in perfectly fine on one tuner, but then stutter on the other tuner, whether it's live, cached or recorded. It's only those two channels out of all the HDs.
post #2444 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 01:25 PM

OK, so I think we've determined that it isn't just Sci-Fi causing lockups :-)

Second question, for the users experiencing lockups, is there any other patterns that might be useful to know. For example, analog vs. digital, SD vs. HD, etc.

It does appear, in my case, that a freeze-up on one tuner will also freeze up taping/viewing on the other tuner. In my case, the "Info" for both shows showed 60 minutes, but the time bar when FF or skipping showed a maximum of 36 minutes (where the freeze occurred).
post #2445 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Shoulda done a web search before saying "never," as I am clearly out of touch with the goings on in important media markets like DFW and Omaha. My bad.

Omaha? Not sure about that! Hey, we might not be the 4th ranked DMA like Philly, but 7th is still pretty respectable!!!!

-Randy

Randy
post #2446 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 02:10 PM

Just a thought.

To all of you that have had your 6412's swapped out:

How do you know that you got a new box?

A Comcast service guy goes to house A and takes A's STB and makes a stop at B where he picks up B' STB and gives B what? A's or is it new?

I'm not convinced that the STB's are all that bad, maybe a batch had some bad components in them. Do they go bach to a repair facility and run through some diagnostic tests?

I have been fortunate to have had only the known problems with mute etc. and leave the box on 24/7 now. I have had Firmware 9.12 most of January and only one freeze ever. The freeze came while ABC was pixelating a lot on CSI NY and I was being the happy channel surfer swaping back and forth between tuners, recording and pausing etc. Basically pushing all the buttons and doing everything the box is advertised to do.

Maybe keeping a list of Serial Numbers for your boxes would help us figure out some basic information.
post #2447 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
I had several freeze ups with the 6200/6208 boxes. I had them swapped a few times before I decided to just live with it. The freeze ups eventually went away. The freeze ups occurred about 2 minutes after I powered on my receiver and display...then it was unplug/plug to unfreeze.

I have not experienced any freeze ups with my 6412's (2 boxes). One thing that may have been causing it was routing the cable through a surge protector. The comcast guy told me to stop doing that because some surge protectors and power conditioners have a difficult time passing data back to the headend. Something to check on if you have freeze ups.
post #2448 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike3
I think I have the oddest 6412 problem and I beleive my box was swapped out for a new one the last time Comcast came out (I wasn't there). Anyway, my Fox and WB HDs come in perfectly fine on one tuner, but then stutter on the other tuner, whether it's live, cached or recorded. It's only those two channels out of all the HDs.

thats exaclty what i said too, back in post #2098

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...81#post4984381
post #2449 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 03:43 PM

Had a few more freezes myself. MTV, FOX (channel 2), and one of those TLC channels. I also leave the box on and when I came home for lunch fox was frozen. I did check and the hard drive (or what I assume is the hard drive that makes all the click sounds) is not on when frozen. You can only hear the fan and not the clicks when in a freeze.

Jason
post #2450 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'm having an odd issue with our 6412, thought I'd post it here before I call Comcast.

When we turn on the box, there is no picture coming to our TV. We can see the menu bar, but nothing above the bar, just black. If we go into the guide, again, the upper right hand spot (where the picture usually minimizes) is just black.

The only way for us to get the picture to show is to go into our DVR area, play a show that has been recorded, and then exit out of that back to the regular viewing. That brings the regular feed back.

This doesn't work if we just go into the DVR area, or the OnDemand area. It only works if we actually play an old recorded section and then exit out of it.

Has anyone else had this issue?

-JR
post #2451 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JKM
Yes, the composite out and S-v outs work concurrentlly with the HD output, but when the 6412 is set to output at HD resolution, the menus and the guide will not be seen on monitors receiving the SD pictiure via the composite or S-v. out from the 6412. So you get the same picture and audio via composite or S, just not the graphics (menus, guides, VOD menus, setup menu)

Is there anyway to get menu/guide/etc while set to output HD ? I thinking of getting a small LCD display and connecting it via svideo for DVR programming so I can avoid turning on my FP.

Is the lack of SD menus/guide a missing by design or is it a bug ?

post #2452 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dozens
Is there anyway to get menu/guide/etc while set to output HD ? I thinking of getting a small LCD display and connecting it via svideo for DVR programming so I can avoid turning on my FP.

Is the lack of SD menus/guide a missing by design or is it a bug ?

It's missing because those outputs are intended for recording to a VCR or stand-alone DVD burner where people don't want menus showing up on their recordings.
post #2453 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JuiceRocket
I'm having an odd issue with our 6412, thought I'd post it here before I call Comcast.

When we turn on the box, there is no picture coming to our TV. We can see the menu bar, but nothing above the bar, just black. If we go into the guide, again, the upper right hand spot (where the picture usually minimizes) is just black.

The only way for us to get the picture to show is to go into our DVR area, play a show that has been recorded, and then exit out of that back to the regular viewing. That brings the regular feed back.

This doesn't work if we just go into the DVR area, or the OnDemand area. It only works if we actually play an old recorded section and then exit out of it.

Has anyone else had this issue?

-JR

It's a known behavior (bug or feature, depends on your perspective )

Fix for now: Leave the box on, don't turn it off. The HDD keeps spinning anyway, so the only benefit you get by turning off is a bit less head-seek noise, and fewer LEDs on
post #2454 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 04:31 PM

Quote:

It's missing because those outputs are intended for recording to a VCR or stand-alone DVD burner where people don't want menus showing up on their recordings.

Not necessarily... the menus show up if the program you are watching, is 480i (eg, regular SD digital or analog channels.)

I think it's more an issue that the box can only render the graphics in one standard/res- if your primary display res (eg Component/DVI) is different than SVideo (480i), it would have to render 2 different menus simultaneously.

My main complaint re SVideo, is that I can't get the aspect ratio right - it's always letterboxed, or pan/scan, eg it assumes 480i is always 4:3, even if I set my TV component display to 16:9 1080i.
I guess you could call that a feature, it's converting it for "other" TVs & 480i standard-
well, my DVD-R and VCR are still connected to the 16:9 TV, so stop letterboxing it and squishing my pristine video!
(yes, I've tried tweaking the power-off menu settings, the component out sizing/res just changes betw 4:3 letterbox, 4:3 letterbox, and 4:3 pan/scan(zoom.)
My Samsung HD-OTA STB was nice enough to output 480i 16:9 anamorphic
post #2455 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

This is inaccurate. ABC never broadcasts in 1080i anywhere in the country, and the broadcast of 720p is consistent regardless of the source material here. That's why the 4:3 override doesn't work on the digital channel.

OK, my bad on the 1080i for ABC. What I meant to say (or how I interpreted the tech's remarks) is that the ABC signal sent out on the HD channel isn't actually hi-def unless it's prime time or the network is broadcasting some other HD program (like sports). Does that make sense? Because I'm not sure I really understand the difference either. I do know absolutely, positively that there was a night and day difference when the feed switched from ABC to ESPN.
post #2456 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by crossbeaux
OK, my bad on the 1080i for ABC. What I meant to say (or how I interpreted the tech's remarks) is that the ABC signal sent out on the HD channel isn't actually hi-def unless it's prime time or the network is broadcasting some other HD program (like sports). Does that make sense? Because I'm not sure I really understand the difference either. I do know absolutely, positively that there was a night and day difference when the feed switched from ABC to ESPN.

I think they're wrong. It think the signal the station sends out is always 720p (unless you're in Dallas ), and SD material gets upconverted to 720p (unless you're in Dallas ) for broadcast.

It sounds like ESPN has an easier time upconverting the 480i material than your local ABC does - or better equipment to do it. In any event, it's not a Comcast issue. At this point, they don't touch the local digital signal at all (from what I've read).
post #2457 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jacmyoung
Just added a 6412 yesterday, only had enough time to learn and add mute, skip and swap functions to my remote. This may already be reported if so I apologize for not able to go through all the posts.

I apparently have two-tuner only partially working. I can schedule one, then watch another channel or start recording it when the schduled channel was also recording, but can not schedule two recordings when there is conflict. I also don't see anything when pressing my "swap" key. The cable DVR has some catching-up to do with DBS DVRs obviously.

My firmware version is 9.12 I think. Thank you in advance.

Anyone? Are you all able to schedule two different future recordings even if they are in conflict of each other?
post #2458 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jacmyoung
Anyone? Are you all able to schedule two different future recordings even if they are in conflict of each other?

Nope. All of our dual-tuner DVRs are totally useless, and boy are we steamed about it.
post #2459 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:

Originally posted by SilverHemi03
... I'm not convinced that the STB's are all that bad, maybe a batch had some bad components in them. Do they go bach to a repair facility and run through some diagnostic tests?

I read here in the San Francisco Comcast thread the following: "Look at the serial number of the box... if the 4th to 6th digits is 436 or 437, you have a bad power supply and need the box swapped."

My first two 6412's were bad and fell into the above s/n range. The third box had a higher serial number and has been bulletproof. Take it for what it's worth.
post #2460 of 10358 Old 01-26-2005, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2417 Post(s)
Liked: 2245
Quote:

Nope. All of our dual-tuner DVRs are totally useless, and boy are we steamed about it.

Funny, funny..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page