I figure I'd just add another datapoint for those experiencing problems with the 6412 w/ iGuide. I just picked it up from the Mountain View office on Monday and was allowed to do a self-install. No problems getting it set up, and the HD looks great. However, I've encountered the following problems, all of which seem to be mentioned by people previously in this forum:
1. Freezing: I left the DVR on overnight on channel 2 (KTVU) and when I got up in the morning, the picture was frozen. I was able to rewind, and it looks like it froze at about 4am. Changing the channel cleared the freeze. Ever since then, I have not tuned to this channel and have not had this problem recur.
2. First Run problem: Series recordings ignore the request for recording first run only. I'm mostly having problems with South Park, Leno, The Daily Show, and Stargate SG1, even though in the guide data for some of these programs, it says that they are from 1999 or 2001 (so how could these not be reruns?).
3. Forgetful series: I delete extra series recordings that are reruns, however, as soon as I set up another series or a new recording, all deleted recordings are back, and I have to go delete them again.
4. HD -> SD: Despite setting up series recordings for Lost and Desperate Housewives on channel 707 and specifiying "This Channel Only", when I went to check my schedule recordings this evening, they decided to record channel 7 instead.
5. More forgetfulness: With my series recordings for The Osbournes, I had it record Monday's new episode. I watched it and deleted it. Now it wants to record the same episode again whenever it reruns this week.
6. Whack a mole: For some series recordings, when I have 2 reruns (despite specifying first run) in adjacent time slots, if I cancel one, and then cancel the next, then the first one wants to record again. I can repeat this process endlessly, going back and forth... feels like whack a mole.
I called Comcast 3 times to speak to different customer service reps. The first person was clueless and could barely speak English. The second person acknowledged the freezing issue and said a fix was coming in 2-3 weeks but had no idea about the series problems. The third person wanted to swap my box, and said that I could transfer my current recordings to the new DVR via firewire (when I heard this, I knew this rep was BSing me). He also said that the fix for the freezing issue should fix the series problems, but he has never heard of these problems before, and wouldn't confirm anything about what exactly is in this fix. He also wanted to zap my box and clear all the guide data, but I didn't want him to do that, since I had recordings scheduled for tonight, and asked if it would interfere with them, and he told me he didn't know. I asked each time to talk to someone who wasn't clueless, and they all said they couldn't do that, and offered to have someone come out to take a look at my box. Just to play their game, I have someone coming to check it out on Saturday, but I doubt that will do any good.
At least I still have the TiVo set up to act as a backup, but I really want to be able to record HD, and unfortunately, TiVo is dragging its heels on releasing an affordable HD DVR. Too bad for them.
Has anyone had any luck with their DVR and is not experiencing these problems? I really would like to avoid having to swap the box on Saturday if at all possible, since from what it looks like some people are saying, there are some real lemons out there.
Regarding the inability to FF/RR/P American Idol last night, I recorded it in HD and had no problems here.