Forum Jump: 

post #2701 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by frankz1
Regardless of what you believe, if it hasn't happened here then it clearly isn't the FOX network.

Wow, That sounds like something you would hear from a New Yorker.

Your logic escapes me. There have been numerous threads all pointing to one network, and a few highly rated shows.
Here in Toledo all of the members of the AVS forum have experienced this problem. It is not comcast that I am looking at as the culprit, it is the network, and more likely the digital signal being sent out.
What is so far fetched to think that they are experimenting with a way to "Package" their programs to assure advertising income.
My brother works for a CBS station, he HATES DVR's and would love to be able to have this kind of technology.
Also look at the lobbing going on to restrict DVR's and the like.

It makes more sense than all our STB's malfunctioning only on one network and one or two shows.

By the way in Toledo all the problems were HD recordings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

One thing that's stuck out for me regarding the "locking out" of the DVR functions (FF, Pause, Rew) was that they were (for the most part) located in the Chicago and Ohio areas. I haven't seen any reports of the lockouts occurring anywhere else. If I'm mistaken, feel free to correct me...
post #2703 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by KentStater72
Wow, That sounds like something you would hear from a New Yorker.

Your logic escapes me. There have been numerous threads all pointing to one network, and a few highly rated shows.
Here in Toledo all of the members of the AVS forum have experienced this problem. It is not comcast that I am looking at as the culprit, it is the network, and more likely the digital signal being sent out.
What is so far fetched to think that they are experimenting with a way to "Package" their programs to assure advertising income.
My brother works for a CBS station, he HATES DVR's and would love to be able to have this kind of technology.
Also look at the lobbing going on to restrict DVR's and the like.

It makes more sense than all our STB's malfunctioning only on one network and one or two shows.

Your "second city inferiority complex" insult of New Yorkers not withstanding, if the FOX NETWORK was messing with the stream everyone viewing the program over the FOX NETWORK - on all of the affiliates - would be having the same problem. I didn't. I'm not a New Yorker, so that's probably non-big-city-logic that even you could understand.

Now, if your mini-city's FOX AFFILIATE was somehow sending data that was so corrupt as to mess up the functionality of the 6412 because it couldn't get a read on the stream with all the data errors, that's another story. Same with your tiny little Comcast head end out there.

In either event, if you don't think it's a problem or issue with the 6412, I am entirely perplexed as to why it is being discussed in the 6412 thread?
post #2704 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 12:30 PM

Quote:

In either event, if you don't think it's a problem or issue with the 6412, I am entirely perplexed as to why it is being discussed in the 6412 thread?

It pertains to this thread because it is directly related to the value of the 6412 and the future of the DVR.

Unless of course the only funtion of this thread is to instruct newbies to unplug their unit for every problem and how to program the 30 second skip.
post #2705 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 12:37 PM

Quote:

It pertains to this thread because it is directly related to the value of the 6412 and the future of the DVR.

Unless of course the only funtion of this thread is to instruct newbies to unplug their unit for every problem and how to program the 30 second skip.

Not sure what a "funtion" is, but given the choice between newbie instruction and wild, baseless speculation that the big bad corporations are conspiring against minor media market consumers to limit their commercial skipping capabilities, I choose the former.

PS...have you tried unplugging the unit to correct the problem, newbie?
post #2706 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Paul Simoneau
One thing that's stuck out for me regarding the "locking out" of the DVR functions (FF, Pause, Rew) was that they were (for the most part) located in the Chicago and Ohio areas. I haven't seen any reports of the lockouts occurring anywhere else. If I'm mistaken, feel free to correct me...

Thanks for the input Paul.
You see this communication and sharing information across the network is how you identify a problem and find a solution if there is one.

I am not saying I know what is causing the problem of function freeze on the 6412, only on FOX. I am saying that if we compare notes we might find out why.

Demanding that unplugging the unit, is all that should be said about this is ridiculous.

I forgot to mention the other value of this thread... leave your stb on night and day. Wonder what power company exec first posted that.
post #2707 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 12:41 PM

Quote:

I forgot to mention the other value of this thread... leave your stb on night and day. Wonder what power company exec first posted that.

More on "Attack of the Big Bad Corporations" tonight at 11.

Suprisingly, those who advocate both rebooting to fix silent crashes and leaving the unit on night and day are also the ones who are not experiencing constant problems. Wonder how that worked out so well.

You're right. Next computer error you have, just leave it on. Don't reboot. It's easier to curse big bad corporation Microsoft than actually correct the problem.
post #2708 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Philly 'burb Comcast 6412 HD FOX - 24 (love that show!) No, Nada,
Zero, Zippo DRV functionality loss at all. FF, pause, rewind, 30 sec etc all
work as expected. I had one 3-5 sec loss of audio the last show, but
other than that, no problems.

Unless your markets head end is doing something funky to the stream,
but why would they? Of course, they may be bending to ad revenue
pressures to find ways to disable the functions. But, that sounds like
a class action waiting to happen to me by the end users, us...
post #2709 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 02:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:

More on "Attack of the Big Bad Corporations" tonight at 11.

Suprisingly, those who advocate both rebooting to fix silent crashes and leaving the unit on night and day are also the ones who are not experiencing constant problems. Wonder how that worked out so well.

You're right. Next computer error you have, just leave it on. Don't reboot. It's easier to curse big bad corporation Microsoft than actually correct the problem.

Forget your meds today Frank?
post #2710 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Not sure what a "funtion" is, but given the choice between newbie instruction and wild, baseless speculation that the big bad corporations are conspiring against minor media market consumers to limit their commercial skipping capabilities, I choose the former.

PS...have you tried unplugging the unit to correct the problem, newbie?

That was great. I haven't had a good laugh like that all day. I applaud your witty reply.
post #2711 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by keenan
Forget your meds today Frank?

I've been on this board for quite a while and it is usually very friendly and helpful, so I don't understand why you keep giving Frank "atta-boys" for going after people. Even if he's right and even if its a personality trait,
I think its pretty rude to treat people like **** when they are here to help/learn from others.
post #2712 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 02:18 PM

IANAM (I Am Not A Moderator), but can we please stay on topic here?

This isn't the "Bash " thread, nor is it the "Make fun of newbies!" thread. It is the "Official Comcast 6412 w/ iGuide Discussion".

The more noise we post here, the less likely it is that the folks reading this thread who actually write the software will stick around.....think about that.

-John
post #2713 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HD Rookie
I've been on this board for quite a while and it is usually very friendly and helpful, so I don't understand why you keep giving Frank "atta-boys" for going after people. Even if he's right and even if its a personality trait,
I think its pretty rude to treat people like **** when they are here to help/learn from others.

Some people are not here to help or to learn. They love to spread either misinformation ask really, really dumb things. Those are the people I go after. I usually help people with legitimate issues outright, regardless of if they've been asked a dozen times. That doesn't mean I won't tease them for asking something that's been asked a dozen times, though.

It's usually the people who come on here and post something very incredibly wrong with a tone of such authority and condescension ("Your logic escapes me" comes to mind) that really drive me nuts. Lord knows I'm all for being snarky and talking down to people. Just be right when you're doing it.

So I'm rude? That's who I am. I can't help it. If you want someone who's being forced to be nice to you to help you with your problem, call Customer Service.

I'm a cranky dude. "Don't be rude?" That's like me saying to you "let's not be dopey about this" like you can help it. What's the point?
post #2714 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

We in the Toledo area are having the same problem with FOX. Reports of "24", American Idol and others not letting us us the DVR functions. We can watch the show in its entirely, but no FF or skip.

I do not believe that this widespread issue, only on FOX, is an anomaly or a set up problem.

Comcast NJ - Union/Verona

Did anyone check out the threads below regarding lack of functionality that KentStater72 first pointed out.

moyekj's post here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...09#post5107109 refers to MoxiGuy's post here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...73#post5105773

I too have a REV1 FF1 issue with the newly Digital Simulcasted channels so this seems to make sense to me.

From my earlier post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...49#post5099849
post #2715 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by markjrenna
Comcast NJ - Union/Verona

Did anyone check out the threads below regarding lack of functionality that KentStater72 first pointed out.

moyekj's post here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...09#post5107109 refers to MoxiGuy's post here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...73#post5105773

I too have a REV1 FF1 issue with the newly Digital Simulcasted channels so this seems to make sense to me.

From my earlier post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...49#post5099849

So, it seems it is exactly what he didn't think it was: An anomaly.

FWIW, I have a problem rewinding on some digital channels such as NFL Network, although others are fine and skip and FF works just great on NFL. Sounds like another anomaly, unless someone wants to suggest a class-action suit against the NFL Network and get all up in arms about "them" stealing our functionality and ruining "value of the 6412 and the future of the DVR."
post #2716 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 03:22 PM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
OK I'll tell him to just leave the box on to avoid some of the issues there are. Early in the thread people said you had to program a code into the remote to get swap to work? I agree he needs this function but I'm just wondering if the swap key just works on newer units (he just picked his up yesterday) or if you still need to go in and program the code to make it work? Thanks for the help.

John

Quote:

Originally posted by davisdog
All of the 6412's in the Bay Area have I-Guide.

Swap is the button for switching between tuners...you will always need it..a feature, not a bug.

The "Mute" bug is still there...an easy solution is just to leave the box with the power on...the mute but only happens when it has to wake itself up to do a recording (keep in mind the box is always never really off..even if you "power it off"...so just leaving it powered on is okay)

no software updates yet, although one is expected later this month.

post #2717 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jcg
OK I'll tell him to just leave the box on to avoid some of the issues there are. Early in the thread people said you had to program a code into the remote to get swap to work? I agree he needs this function but I'm just wondering if the swap key just works on newer units (he just picked his up yesterday) or if you still need to go in and program the code to make it work? Thanks for the help.

John

It depends on what remote you have. It's not to do with the unit at all - just the remote.
If it's got a labeled "SWAP" button, he's good to go.
If it's got a TV/VCR button, try it to see if it's been reprogrammed by Comcast for SWAP functionality (some have).
If he's got neither, follow the instructions posted numerous times in this thread to program SWAP onto a little-used button.
If there's no SETUP button on the remote and it doesn't already SWAP, I believe he's SOL.
post #2718 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 04:18 PM

Thank you markjrenna

Moxiguys post made a lot of sense.
This is the kind of dialog I presumed a forum is for.

I am not anti business
I am not looking to start a class action suit
I am not off topic
I was just looking for some reasonable answers from reasonable people.

And I ran into a control freak patrolling the board.
post #2719 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Thank you markjrenna

Moxiguys post made a lot of sense.
This is the kind of dialog I presumed a forum is for.

I am not anti business
I am not looking to start a class action suit
I am not off topic
I was just looking for some reasonable answers from reasonable people.

And I ran into a control freak patrolling the board.

Were you crying when you wrote this? I guess where you are, insulting stereotypes are "reasonable" and "the kind of dialog I presumed a forum is for." Not here, buddy.
post #2720 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 05:19 PM

C'mon Frank!

Honestly, a lot of the people posting here were just concerned about a possible corporate "solution" to the DVR "problem".

While potentially off-topic, the possibility that Fox had figured out a way to ensure that people watch their commercials was NOT outside the realm of possibility!

Or, even if, technically, it was, it was at least weird enough to merit discussion.

I understand acerbic and grouchy, but they haven't been that out of line.

I appreciate the honesty (sometimes brutal) you bring to these boards, but I also appreciate information sharing among members.

I just wonder what will happen when the "solution" finally appears...
post #2721 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MJVanDam
C'mon Frank!

Honestly, a lot of the people posting here were just concerned about a possible corporate "solution" to the DVR "problem".

While potentially off-topic, the possibility that Fox had figured out a way to ensure that people watch their commercials was NOT outside the realm of possibility!

Or, even if, technically, it was, it was at least weird enough to merit discussion.

I understand acerbic and grouchy, but they haven't been that out of line.

I appreciate the honesty (sometimes brutal) you bring to these boards, but I also appreciate information sharing among members.

I just wonder what will happen when the "solution" finally appears...

There's "concern" and then there's "wild accusations based on nothing but speculation followed by insults against those who provide solid reasons why the speculation is wrong." I'll leave it to to decide which I felt this discussion fell into. A good forum is part education and part entertainment. I try to amuse myself while providing a little of both.

We've all read "I was going to get the 6412, but after reading this thread I don't know" posts. We've all been able to provide workarounds for MOST of the legitimate problems. These people are mostly turned off because of these naysayers and their bogus, inaccurate theories. I feel it's a shame.

The 6412 is a good, not perfect, but good product. If you're expecting perfection, it's not for you.

I've PM'd you with the more non-6412 portions of my reply.
post #2722 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 05:48 PM

I posted about my DVR problem with "24" in another thread, but I thought I would take a moment to add to the collective knowledge here.

Just a quick refresh: I recorded "24" on Monday and when I watched it and attempted to FF, was presented with a circle-with-a-line-through-it icon telling me, "You can't do that."

I called Comcast yesterday and had my concerns escalated from the initial ("There was something wrong with the signal") phone-center person to a ("I'll look into it and call you back") supervisor.

Today, I received a call from a different guy who was very knowledgeable about the technical issues faced with the DVR's and their recordings. In short, he admitted to me that this was a bug in the TV-Guide software which incorrectly marked this episode of "24" to disallow certain functionality. (The same thing apparently happened with "American Idol" last night, but I was not aware of that until he told me about it.) He told me that it would be fixed in an upcoming version of the software and, based on the large number of bugs that have been discovered, this summer's scheduled release of the next version may get changed.

Bottom line: Yes, the DVR features can be selectively disabled as a feature of the IGuide. No, this was not intentional by any party involved in the presentation of "24" on Monday.
post #2723 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by EvanstonTom
I posted about my DVR problem with "24" in another thread, but I thought I would take a moment to add to the collective knowledge here.

Just a quick refresh: I recorded "24" on Monday and when I watched it and attempted to FF, was presented with a circle-with-a-line-through-it icon telling me, "You can't do that."

I called Comcast yesterday and had my concerns escalated from the initial ("There was something wrong with the signal") phone-center person to a ("I'll look into it and call you back") supervisor.

Today, I received a call from a different guy who was very knowledgeable about the technical issues faced with the DVR's and their recordings. In short, he admitted to me that this was a bug in the TV-Guide software which incorrectly marked this episode of "24" to disallow certain functionality. (The same thing apparently happened with "American Idol" last night, but I was not aware of that until he told me about it.) He told me that it would be fixed in an upcoming version of the software and, based on the large number of bugs that have been discovered, this summer's scheduled release of the next version may get changed.

Bottom line: Yes, the DVR features can be selectively disabled as a feature of the IGuide. No, this was not intentional by any party involved in the presentation of "24" on Monday.

Didn't "Mark It" that way here. Same software. What gives?
post #2724 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by EvanstonTom

Wow, this is disturbing indeed. It wasn't good enough to just have a Copy Once or Copy Never flag as options, but now there is a "No transport functions" flag too? Pretty soon there will be more flags in the stream than video frames and a DVR will be worthless.

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.
kmttg - Tivo To Go and Advanced Remote Control

post #2725 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Different headend without flag being set?

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.
kmttg - Tivo To Go and Advanced Remote Control

post #2726 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 06:44 PM

Quote:

That's not exactly clear. It's also not clear why only some users experienced the problem in my area. I'm guessing that the bug may be in the way the box downloads the guide, so it could be different from DVR to DVR.

Anyway, I have a number to call to follow up on this issue. If I see it again, or if more questions like this come up, I will call.
post #2727 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by moyekj
Pretty soon there will be more flags in the stream than video frames and a DVR will be worthless.

Just to be clear: The "no transport functions" flag is in the guide, not in the stream itself. Some added functionality in the software to improve the "value" to the content providers, I guess.
post #2728 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 07:58 PM

I figure I'd just add another datapoint for those experiencing problems with the 6412 w/ iGuide. I just picked it up from the Mountain View office on Monday and was allowed to do a self-install. No problems getting it set up, and the HD looks great. However, I've encountered the following problems, all of which seem to be mentioned by people previously in this forum:

1. Freezing: I left the DVR on overnight on channel 2 (KTVU) and when I got up in the morning, the picture was frozen. I was able to rewind, and it looks like it froze at about 4am. Changing the channel cleared the freeze. Ever since then, I have not tuned to this channel and have not had this problem recur.

2. First Run problem: Series recordings ignore the request for recording first run only. I'm mostly having problems with South Park, Leno, The Daily Show, and Stargate SG1, even though in the guide data for some of these programs, it says that they are from 1999 or 2001 (so how could these not be reruns?).

3. Forgetful series: I delete extra series recordings that are reruns, however, as soon as I set up another series or a new recording, all deleted recordings are back, and I have to go delete them again.

4. HD -> SD: Despite setting up series recordings for Lost and Desperate Housewives on channel 707 and specifiying "This Channel Only", when I went to check my schedule recordings this evening, they decided to record channel 7 instead.

5. More forgetfulness: With my series recordings for The Osbournes, I had it record Monday's new episode. I watched it and deleted it. Now it wants to record the same episode again whenever it reruns this week.

6. Whack a mole: For some series recordings, when I have 2 reruns (despite specifying first run) in adjacent time slots, if I cancel one, and then cancel the next, then the first one wants to record again. I can repeat this process endlessly, going back and forth... feels like whack a mole.

I called Comcast 3 times to speak to different customer service reps. The first person was clueless and could barely speak English. The second person acknowledged the freezing issue and said a fix was coming in 2-3 weeks but had no idea about the series problems. The third person wanted to swap my box, and said that I could transfer my current recordings to the new DVR via firewire (when I heard this, I knew this rep was BSing me). He also said that the fix for the freezing issue should fix the series problems, but he has never heard of these problems before, and wouldn't confirm anything about what exactly is in this fix. He also wanted to zap my box and clear all the guide data, but I didn't want him to do that, since I had recordings scheduled for tonight, and asked if it would interfere with them, and he told me he didn't know. I asked each time to talk to someone who wasn't clueless, and they all said they couldn't do that, and offered to have someone come out to take a look at my box. Just to play their game, I have someone coming to check it out on Saturday, but I doubt that will do any good.

At least I still have the TiVo set up to act as a backup, but I really want to be able to record HD, and unfortunately, TiVo is dragging its heels on releasing an affordable HD DVR. Too bad for them.

Has anyone had any luck with their DVR and is not experiencing these problems? I really would like to avoid having to swap the box on Saturday if at all possible, since from what it looks like some people are saying, there are some real lemons out there.

Regarding the inability to FF/RR/P American Idol last night, I recorded it in HD and had no problems here.
post #2729 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by KGD_007
I have searched this forum and found where people had posted the following problem, but never found an answer.

When I set a series recording for an HD channel after a few days the series switches to the SD channel. I make sure when I set the series to select, record this channel only. It seems to do it the most on channel 707. I don't recall it happening on any of the others.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Kris

I'm also having the same problem with series recordings switching from HD station to the SD station number. Matter of fact, its the exact same channel 707 going to 7. I have not experienced this problem on any other series recordings on HD channels. For me, it's somewhat sporadic in occurance. It happened to me today, but previous to this incident it didn't happen for over a week. Truly annoying, sooner or later I'll break down and just put everything in manually.

Anyone have any success in resolving this?

Thanks.
post #2730 of 10358 Old 02-02-2005, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does anyone know how to program the mute and swap codes with the UR5-MDVR remote? It does not have a "setup" button.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page