Washington State - Comcast 6412 w/ MSFT Software - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 1587 Old 11-29-2004, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yea, I will give Harmony (now Logitech) props for their customer service. They provide support 7 days a week and respond to requests submitted by their website within 24 hours. Often they make tweaks to your profile to fix your problems for you.

Now if enough Harmony customers beg for them to add a skip30 macro to our remotes for the 6412, maybe they'll figure out a way to do that.

-x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1587 Old 11-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
The interesting thing about the 30 sec skip is that I thought I read somewhere here that it seems to work using the iGuide on the 6412, but not the MS software on the 6412.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #303 of 1587 Old 11-29-2004, 07:35 PM

Ok, did anyone figure out yet how to use your stereo volume while on the cable function of the remote? I have the TV programmed under TV and my stereo programmed under Aux, but still can't get the volume of the stereo to work under the Cable function. Any help would be appreciated.

That Harmony 680 looks like a nice way to upgrade the remote.

post #304 of 1587 Old 11-29-2004, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Originally posted by artshotwell
The interesting thing about the 30 sec skip is that I thought I read somewhere here that it seems to work using the iGuide on the 6412, but not the MS software on the 6412.

Comcast NJ - Union/Verona

Correct.

Lucky i-Guide user here and I have the 30 second skip feature. I love it!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...43#post4701543
post #305 of 1587 Old 11-29-2004, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 159
If your remote is lock to your TV volume, and you want it to control your receiver volume, first unlock all volume controls by pressing the TV mode key and then the Setup key until the TV key blinks twice, release the Setup key and enter 9-9-3 and then press vol+ once. The mode key will blink four times confirming unlock. Then to lock the volume control to Aux, press Aux once, then press the Setup key until the Aux key blinks twice, then release the Setup key, enter 9-9-3 and then press Aux once. The Mode key will blink twice, confirming Aux volume global lock.

Steve Goff
post #306 of 1587 Old 11-29-2004, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That Harmony 680 looks like a nice way to upgrade the remote.

Remember that the 680 was designed specifically for the Windows Media Center- the 676 is designed for DVR's in general. Check around for lowest pricing. You can program the 676 to use any of the Comcast remote keys. If you need assistance the technical support is second to none. They caan program the remote the way toy want--all you need to do is to download the settings--the settings are kept on a personal passworded site in case you need to download it again.

The Burger
post #307 of 1587 Old 11-29-2004, 11:06 PM

Thanks for the help. I got the volume figured out on the cable function. So which remote would work better for the 6412's in Seattle? The 676 or the 680?
post #308 of 1587 Old 11-30-2004, 04:12 PM

OK...I'll admit I'm an idiot, but I could use a suggestion. With my MS remote, I tried programming the 30 second skip to my FAV key, without first reading that burger's codes were not applicable to the Microsoft version. Now, when I press FAV, nothing happens, however if I press SETUP first and then FAV, it accesses my favorites.

Does anyone know how to reset my remote back to normal? I suppose I could re-program the code via a macro to access favorites but this seems inefficient.
post #309 of 1587 Old 11-30-2004, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

BothellKZ

Sorry if I misled you. I just checked my Comcast remote-and my FAV button also does not work. It does work on my Harmony. So I just called Harmony support to find out what code the Harmony uses. The rep said he thinks it is 0xA805. Well, that looks like a hex code and I have no idea what to do with it. Maybe someone else does-- looking for a 3 digit number.

If not, I'll try contacting Comcast technical support tomorrow.

The Burger
post #310 of 1587 Old 11-30-2004, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by BothellKZ
OK...I'll admit I'm an idiot, but I could use a suggestion. With my MS remote, I tried programming the 30 second skip to my FAV key, without first reading that burger's codes were not applicable to the Microsoft version. Now, when I press FAV, nothing happens, however if I press SETUP first and then FAV, it accesses my favorites.

Does anyone know how to reset my remote back to normal? I suppose I could re-program the code via a macro to access favorites but this seems inefficient.

I think the code is 00079. So...
1) Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2) Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
3) Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice
4) Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button
5) Type in the code 00079 (for FAV).
6) Press the FAV button.

See if that works... Art

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #311 of 1587 Old 11-30-2004, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, Art--
Worked for me

The Burger
post #312 of 1587 Old 11-30-2004, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[SARCASM ON] I pity you all with the Harmony xxx. Get a real remote like the Home Theater Master MX-700. With one remote I am controlling the following:

2 Zektor component video switchers
Yamaha RX-V995 amp
Motorola 6412 DVR
ReplayTV 4080
ReplayTV 5060
Toshiba DST-3000 OTA Receiver
JVC30K D-VHS recorder
Pinnacle Show Center
Toshiba Cinema HD TV

Never had to ask for custmer service.
Never had to ask for a code.
Wife doesn't call me at work to ask how to turn on the TV
[/SARCASM OFF]

Wow, this thread has gone way OT. Glad I could help!!!!
post #313 of 1587 Old 11-30-2004, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Since Microsoft (thanks Shannon!) and Comcast (hopefully) review this discussion, here are some thoughts to pass back to them. for the most part, I'm pleased with the comcast moto 6412. it's great that comcast finally delivered the hd-dvr after all the promises and delays. however, other than the limited storage capacity (10-12 hours on the 120GB drive is about right - should've been at least a 200gb+), the biggest gripe I have with the box is the inconsistency of the UI. The lack of consistency makes it awkward navigating through the UI and hurts the discoverability of operation. not sure whether the issues are by design, or just bugs that were overlooked - or whether they're from the Microsoft side or the Comcast/Motorola side (or just 2 different systems).

Maybe I'm jaded, but after being a directivo user for a number of years, I've found the tivo UI to be very simple and consistent. you can always use the right-arrow to move down into a menu, and the left-arrow to move back. you can also get out of any menu and to a live channel from anywhere in the UI by pressing exit (or 'live').

some specific examples of issues with the 6412/microsoft platform:
- there's no consistent way to get back to a previous menu as you move deeper into the UI. some menus have a 'last' button to get back, some don't - if you press the 'last' button on the remote for those that don't, the UI exits and the channel changes (bad).

"last" examples:

+ my dvr - pressing 'last' here exits the menu and changes channel

+ my dvr->add recording->guide - pressing last here exits the UI and changes the channel

+ my dvr->scheduled->->other showings - from here, you can't get back to the 'my dvr' menu without pressing the 'my dvr' remote button.

+ my dvr->add recording->{any of the search menus} - pressing 'last' changes the channel

+ my dvr->scheduled->->other showings - pressing 'last' changes the channel

+ my dvr->add recording->manual recording - actually, the 'last' button works as I'd expect and takes you back to the my dvr menu. (as expected)

+ on demand - pressing 'last' here does takes you back to the live program (as expected)

+ my dvr->scheduled->->record options - pressing 'last' returns to the previous menu (as expected)

can't return to previous menu:

+ menu->my dvr - can't return to the previous menu - have to press the 'menu' button

+ my dvr->add recording->guide - from here, you can't get back to the 'my dvr' menu without pressing the 'my dvr' remote button.

+ my dvr->scheduled->->other showings - from here, you can't get back to the 'my dvr' menu without pressing the 'my dvr' remote button.

+ my dvr->add recording->{any of the search menus} - from here, you can't get back to the 'my dvr' menu without pressing the 'my dvr'
remote button.

'live' button isn't always used to get to a live program

- it's a little inconsistent to get directly to a live tv channel from a menu or when watching a pre-recorded program.

+ my dvr->add recording->guide - pressing 'live' on the remote does nothing. (you can press 'exit')

+ my dvr->dvd recordings-> - pressing 'live' on the remote does nothing. (you can press 'exit')

+ from playing pre-recorded program, 'live' does take you to the last live channel

- in the mini-guide when only one program is displayed, the -day and +day buttons don't work. they do work in the full guide, or in the
mini-guide when 4 programs are displayed at the same time. also, when viewing favorite channels, the -day and +day buttons don't work at all
either - even when the 4 channels are displayed at the same time (press [fav] button->[right-arrow].

some suggestions:

from any menu or playing of pre-recorded program, the remote buttons should operate in a consistent way, independent of the context...
- 'last' should always be used to return the previous menu

- 'live' should always take you to the current program

- 'exit' should always take you to the current program

- when moving through the guide, if you move forward more than a week, instead of just showing the day on the guide, the date should also be
shown. this should also be the case if you scroll through search results (e.g., from the HDTV search), so as you page/move through the results,
the date should be displayed (at least as mm/dd)

my 2 cents...
post #314 of 1587 Old 12-01-2004, 02:55 AM

as a fellow tivo user, i felt the same way but didn't have the energy to compose such a response so thanks brent. some of the ui is a bit clunky such as manual recording. in general the ui has the feel of having been created and tested on a pc with keyboard and mouse rather than focused around a user armed with a remote. however it's much better than the iguide alternative so i'm thankful for the software and look forward to future versions.
post #315 of 1587 Old 12-01-2004, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Nicely done, brente. As a web designer with a UI experience, I'd say you're right on. I would note, however, that Tivo's UI is known as about the best out there for usability. Their UI and the remote both have won plaudits and awards. Microsoft, on the other hand...isn't known for usability. Nevertheless, they've done a pretty good job. Better than I expected.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #316 of 1587 Old 12-01-2004, 07:37 AM

Thanks Brent - and Shannon (your participation is priceless).
I agree with Brent on the points he makes. I have become used to using the 'exit' button and starting from scratch.

I have a question on the volume control. I have my Sony receiver mapped to "AUX". When I press "AUX", the TV volume changes, not the Sony's. Is there any way to map the "AUX" volume to the Sony, and the "TV" and "CABLE" volume to the TV?
post #317 of 1587 Old 12-01-2004, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
I have another minor gripe/suggestion to add to Brent's comments:

Menus should have circular navigation -> ie if I'm at the bottom of a list (in the MyDVR menu for example), pressing down again should return to the top of the list.

I waste a lot of time cursoring down, then up again....

Rich
post #318 of 1587 Old 12-01-2004, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There are a couple of things I've noticed that need work in the UI:

Although program listings are available for two weeks, none of them have dates (only days of the week). Sometimes it's not clear whether you're looking at a schedule for the first week or the second. Minor point.

There is a bug in the OnDemand menus in which there is a down arrow on some, although there are no further items available in the menu. Selecting down or page down in that case results in the system hanging up for a short period, buffering up commands (if frustration causes you to make multiple hits on the button), then either crashing OnDemand or zipping through the buffered commands out to who-knows-where. An example is noted below --

OnDemand
Music
Music Choice
Rock
When you reach the last entry (but have no way to know it's the last one) the troublesome arrow is there, and attempts to go to the next page cause problems. (This list seems to be inconsistent as to which entry is last from one attempt to another, so perhaps the problem isn't with the down arrow, but a bug in the list processing itself.)
post #319 of 1587 Old 12-01-2004, 11:49 AM

My 6412 loses power at least once a night, last night at 10:53, damned annoying when recording at that time. Anyone else experiencing loss of power? It comes back up okay but if I lose it when not around I miss recording certain shows.
post #320 of 1587 Old 12-01-2004, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

That's weird. I haven't had any power problems or rebooting problems with my 6412.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #321 of 1587 Old 12-01-2004, 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by nodrog2
My 6412 loses power at least once a night, last night at 10:53, damned annoying when recording at that time. Anyone else experiencing loss of power? It comes back up okay but if I lose it when not around I miss recording certain shows.

I'm having that problem. I leave it on at night and find off in the morning. Also happened during recording and watching live.
post #322 of 1587 Old 12-01-2004, 12:53 PM

Sounds like there's some faulty 6412 hardware out there. The same issues have been reported on the iGuide 6412 thread which leads me to believe you guys need to get a replacement box. Mine hasn't had any such problems.

-x
post #323 of 1587 Old 12-01-2004, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
On the UI front....

How about the using the fill 16:9 screen realestate for 720P and 1080i resolutions. Or is this a limiation of the 6412's overlay surface for UI? Heck... MS can't even get this right on MCE (LOL).

I still say we need profiles for different members of the family with unique channel line ups.

My 6412 was swapped out today as Firewire quit working. Unfortunately I lost all my recordings.....

Thx,
Vidkidd
post #324 of 1587 Old 12-01-2004, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. I'm just getting over my turkey coma...

Brente (and others)- thanks for the detailed UI comments. We know there is room for improvement and the issues you outlined are noted in our bug database.

Hijacking while watching recorded (not currently recording) shows - if anyone sees this happening, please PM me with specific repro steps and any relevant environment information.

Sound issues - This is not something under our control. I would recommend calling comcast so they are aware of the issue.

16:9 screen with centered 4:3 UI - This is all the current hw and firmware support. We've asked for this capability as well. I have a 16:9 screen so I feel your pain.

-Shan [MSFT]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
post #325 of 1587 Old 12-02-2004, 12:05 AM

Ok, I've now been using the Comcast/Motorola DCT6412 and I have quite a few comments/problems, so I thought I'd share them here. First, let me say that, although there are some issues I'll note below, the software is decent. I have some issues with the hardware though.

--- Hardware ---

1) Am I the only one who finds the hard-drive accesses to be extremely loud? I actually returned my first DVR box and got another one because it annoyed me so much. The new box I have is better in that the hard drive isn't too annoying when the box is "off", but when watching shows I can usually hear the hard drive over the TV, which is not a good thing. Despite the other problems I list below, this one is the deal breaker for me. If I can't get a quieter unit, I'll probably cancel my DVR service by next week. I'm surprised no one else has even mentioned the noise, but perhaps I'm overly sensitive.

2) It is a bit annoying that Comcast "ran out" of the DVR remotes. They're mostly just giving out the normal remotes without the Instant Replay, My DVR, and Live buttons and they are telling me it will likely be months before they get more in stock. I am at a loss for how they can have so many more boxes than remotes, but oh well.

3) On the Comcast and Motorola sites, they state that the 120 GB drive should be able to store 90 hours of SD TV. Well, I now have 4 hours of SD TV recorded and my capacity is at 12%. This gives me about 30 hours total, which is a fraction of what they state. Is anyone else noticing this?

4) What does the Record LED on the front of the DVR box do? I've tried recording shows while I'm watching them, scheduling shows, watching shows live while recording on another channel/tuner, and this LED never turns on. Is this just not implemented yet? None of the manuals I've found mention the "Record" option. They all state that there is an A/B Bypass there, which now exists in the box options menu.

--- Software ----

5) Earlier today, I was watching channel 4 (KOMO) at 7:30 and had a show scheduled to record on channel 10 (WB) at 8:00 PM. At 7:59, a dialog came up warning me that my show might be interrupted and asking me to switch to channel 10. Why would it do this?? Isn't the point of a dual tuner to be able to record and not have to watch it also?

6) Similarly, tonight as well, I was recording on channel 10 (WB) until 10:00 PM and had a show scheduled to start at 10:00 PM on channel 5 (NBC). At 9:59, a dialog came up telling me to switch to channel 5 or cancel the recording of the show on channel 5 at 10:00 PM. Again, why is this necessary? Shouldn't I be able to stay on the channel I'm on and still record this?

7) The Mini-Guide is nice, but I must say I do miss the easy little "up-arrow" I could press on my old digital cable box to see the current program. I could then press the right arrow to see shows coming up next or type a channel number in and see what was on on that channel. I can sort of do this with the Mini-Guide, but the "Mini" guide takes up half my screen while the old box could do this using only a fraction of the display. It's not a huge deal, but I used this feature quite often and am sad to see it go away.

8) On i-Channels I noticed that the titles in the Other Stories sections are cut off after only four or five characters on everything but the Home page. The Home page displays fine, but, on the others, the story titles are virtually unreadable. I don't really use this feature, but I thought I'd point it out in case someone planned on fixing it.

9) I find the Search to be hard-to-use due to the huge amount of text that's cut-off on the returned shows/movie titles. I can scroll over every movie to see the full title, but it'd be nice to see at least half of the title in the search results. I suspect this is Comcast's advertising and not the software, but it still is sad.

10) Finally, as others have said, the Menu navigation is very unwieldy. Pressing Last sometimes goes backwards and it sometimes changes channels. It's very difficult to determine how to go back one level of the menu depending on where you are.

Ok, that's it for now. If anyone read this far, I'm impressed.

Sam
post #326 of 1587 Old 12-02-2004, 02:48 AM

I have been somewhat happy with my 6412. Only one gripe I would like to get off my chest.

Yesterday, I came home from work, pushed "My DVR" to watch a show I recorded, and to my dismay - ALL MY INFO was reset. I somehow lost all of my recordings, including one I had marked as "Never Delete". All of the shows I had set as "Record Series" were also lost. It's as if an elf came into my home and swapped my box..

Would this be a malfunction in the box, or could it be Comcast playing a dirty trick and flashing my box (if possible)???
post #327 of 1587 Old 12-02-2004, 03:13 AM

I scheduled Smallville as a series. My DVR Recordings listed Wednesday's episdoe. But when I tried to play it, there was a five second wait and then the little video window in the corner said "end of show" and the onscreen "Play" button changed to "Star Over"

If I select "start over" again, it did nothing for five seconds and then displayed the "end of show" message.
post #328 of 1587 Old 12-02-2004, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Originally posted by glug
however it's much better than the iguide alternative so i'm thankful for the software and look forward to future versions.

Comcast NJ - Union/Verona

hmmmm... based on what I'm reading here. Looks like the i-Guide (I have it) is clearly better than FE 1.7.
post #329 of 1587 Old 12-02-2004, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mktgMaven
I scheduled Smallville as a series. My DVR Recordings listed Wednesday's episdoe. But when I tried to play it, there was a five second wait and then the little video window in the corner said "end of show" and the onscreen "Play" button changed to "Star Over"

If I select "start over" again, it did nothing for five seconds and then displayed the "end of show" message.

This is symptomatic of the channel being off the air (as others have noted for this program on WB last night). Nothing was actually recorded in that case.
post #330 of 1587 Old 12-02-2004, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by TayX

--- Hardware ---

3) On the Comcast and Motorola sites, they state that the 120 GB drive should be able to store 90 hours of SD TV. Well, I now have 4 hours of SD TV recorded and my capacity is at 12%. This gives me about 30 hours total, which is a fraction of what they state. Is anyone else noticing this?

4) What does the Record LED on the front of the DVR box do? I've tried recording shows while I'm watching them, scheduling shows, watching shows live while recording on another channel/tuner, and this LED never turns on. Is this just not implemented yet? None of the manuals I've found mention the "Record" option. They all state that there is an A/B Bypass there, which now exists in the box options menu.
Ok, that's it for now. If anyone read this far, I'm impressed.

Sam

3) The analog channels will record 30 or 40 hours. The SD digital channels will be more like 90. All shows (SD or HD) on the HD channels will be somewhere around 15.

4) My Record LED (red) is on when the DVR is recording.

Thanks.

Other Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page