Washington State - Comcast 6412 w/ MSFT Software - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 1587 Old 12-10-2004, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm on 17.16, too. BTW, my box is very quiet.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 1587 Old 12-10-2004, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mom always said I wuz born lucky - or was it lucky I was born - anyway - I love my MOTO DVR - I've had absolutely no problems (fingers crossed) and haven't exhibited any of the things the people in this forum has had. I've been trying to catch up on some recordings that have been there the last two weeks - nothing has dropped off or the box reset itself...

i've just jinxed myself - i'm a total fan and a convert!
post #393 of 1587 Old 12-12-2004, 08:32 PM

I lost all my season pass info as well but the recordings were there after a reboot. I come from a dual tuner directivo and boy its tough to use this thing after Tivo for so many years.
I feel like I have steped back a few years now with this clunky interface and slow reponse as well as getting the long delay to respond to input from the remote and then it catches up all at once going through every button you tried thinking the remote died. How many people have had this problem. BTW the first unit had big problems, could not get half the channels and HBO the picture was bad. they installede another and it was fine. Motorola said that they were building these so fast that there could be quality issues. Thats not good!
I just hope they work on at least getting functions to work at the speed of Tivo, I guess I expected more from this unit.

post #394 of 1587 Old 12-12-2004, 10:07 PM

I have been happy with the DVR, and have had no problems or glitches in using it. However, the picture quality stinks on non-HD programs. I thought the Comcast picture quality before was so-so, but the analog channels are hideous now, in my opinion...very grainy and noisy. I see no deterioration on the HD programs, but the graininess and noise on the others...horrible, at least on my 50" plasma. And it is not just on channels under 100, but on most others above 100...are these digital or analog? TV Land, for example, is hideous. I would be interested to know what others have experienced, and if there is anything to do about this other than wait for the next generation and hope for the best. I asked someone at Magnolia Hi-Fi (who installed my home theater system), and his experience was the same...he said he was told by a Comcast installer that this has been the experience of everyone for whom he has installed this unit. Is this the consensus?
thanks,
Robert
post #395 of 1587 Old 12-12-2004, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No, this is not the consensus. Digital channels (those > 100) generally look fine - no different than you'd find on satellite, or other digital cable boxes. The problem with the 6412 is the ANALOG channels (those < 100).

What type of connection are you using between the 6412 and your plasma?
post #396 of 1587 Old 12-13-2004, 05:13 AM

In the current two-week time frame for listings, all three editions of Lord of the Rings are being aired. MSTV found only one of them using "Search."

(I know all of them are available, because I did the same search on TiVo)
post #397 of 1587 Old 12-13-2004, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mktgMaven
In the current two-week time frame for listings, all three editions of Lord of the Rings are being aired. MSTV found only one of them using "Search."

This is the result of a quirk in the software previously acknowledged by Shannon of MSFT. The other two are listed with titles beginning with "The" and will only be found by searches including "The". Painful.
post #398 of 1587 Old 12-13-2004, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I had set up series recording for "Boston Legal" but discovered that it didn't record last night. The program was still in the scheduled series list, but when I looked closely at the setup for next week I noticed that it was specified to be recorded only at 10:01. I suspect that was the weird start time of the episode I had used to set up the series, and the system ignored last night's episode if it had a start time of 10:00. I changed the option to have it record at any time. Not easy for me to test to be sure, but something else to look out for.
post #399 of 1587 Old 12-13-2004, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
And, Boston Legal started at 10:02 last night.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #400 of 1587 Old 12-13-2004, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Originally posted by wareagle
I had set up series recording for "Boston Legal" but discovered that it didn't record last night. The program was still in the scheduled series list, but when I looked closely at the setup for next week I noticed that it was specified to be recorded only at 10:01. I suspect that was the weird start time of the episode I had used to set up the series, and the system ignored last night's episode if it had a start time of 10:00. I changed the option to have it record at any time. Not easy for me to test to be sure, but something else to look out for.

Comcast NJ - Union/Verona

Look at this:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000527022421/

The audacity these networks have. What are they thinking? Who are they trying to help or hurt for that matter.
post #401 of 1587 Old 12-13-2004, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mktgMaven

Previously discussed. Just ignore the "Search by Title" feature - completely useless, unless you really want to look under "The..." since that's where the "missing" LOTR shows are filed.

Instead, use the "Search by Actor or Keyword" - this is a "contains..." type of search, rather than a "starts with..." type of search.
post #402 of 1587 Old 12-13-2004, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jimre
No, this is not the consensus. Digital channels (those > 100) generally look fine - no different than you'd find on satellite, or other digital cable boxes. The problem with the 6412 is the ANALOG channels (those < 100).

The old HITS channels still look as hideous as they did 5 years ago. I don't know what channels you are watching.
post #403 of 1587 Old 12-13-2004, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't know what "the old HITS channels" are - so obviously I'm not watching those.
post #404 of 1587 Old 12-13-2004, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The HITS channels, as I call them, are the original set of digital cable channels, including such favorites as BBC America and Fox Sports World that appear to be compressed 12 channels to one 6MHz slot. You would think that after all this time they would have relaxed this compression, and in some cases they appear to have done so. However, many channels still look like they are compressed 12:1.

See www.hits.com for more info on what HITS is.

Now this is not specifically a 6412/MSTV problem, but it is incorrect to say there is a consensus that the >100 channels look "fine".
post #405 of 1587 Old 12-13-2004, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

fezz15

You are in the wrong Forum! This Forum is for the MSFE based software-- it does not support the swap function. And it is only currently available in Washington State through Comcast. I think that you need to be in the Comcast 6412 w/iGuide Forum. Click here

The Burger
post #406 of 1587 Old 12-13-2004, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Al Shing
The HITS channels, as I call them, are the original set of digital cable channels, including such favorites as BBC America and Fox Sports World that appear to be compressed 12 channels to one 6MHz slot. You would think that after all this time they would have relaxed this compression, and in some cases they appear to have done so. However, many channels still look like they are compressed 12:1.

See www.hits.com for more info on what HITS is.

Now this is not specifically a 6412/MSTV problem, but it is incorrect to say there is a consensus that the >100 channels look "fine".

Whatever. The question was about the 6412, and the digital channels on the 6412 look just as "FINE" as they always have.
post #407 of 1587 Old 12-13-2004, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Al Shing
... but it is incorrect to say there is a consensus that the >100 channels look "fine".

So to rephrase - the consensus is that digital SD channels on the 6412 look NO DIFFERENT than they ever did. The original poster stated that since installing the 6412, his digital SD channels have gone from "so-so" to "hideous". That's the experience most of us have had with analog channels, but NOT with digital SD channels.
post #408 of 1587 Old 12-13-2004, 07:15 PM

Nevertheless it's a great point and I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks those channels look like crap.

Quote:

Whatever. The question was about the 6412, and the digital channels on the 6412 look just as "FINE" as they always have.

post #409 of 1587 Old 12-13-2004, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

A similar thing happened to me, but I noticed the problem in time to correct it. I've also set up series recording for "Boston Legal", and yesterday afternoon I noticed that the upcoming episode had disappeared from the Scheduled Recordings list. It was definitely on that list before yesterday, but for some reason the DVR removed it. So I manually turned on recording for that episode, and that worked.
post #410 of 1587 Old 12-13-2004, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

So to rephrase - the consensus is that digital SD channels on the 6412 look NO DIFFERENT than they ever did. The original poster stated that since installing the 6412, his digital SD channels have gone from "so-so" to "hideous". That's the experience most of us have had with analog channels, but NOT with digital SD channels.

The OP sounded like a newby with the digital cable thing and didn't know if TV Land was digital or analog and if it really looked that hideous. The Comcast installer said the complaint was common with everyone who got this box.

The complaint is common with digital cable in general. The 6412 only passes on what it is sent, but garbage in, garbage out. This has been the consensus with digital cable since it came out.

Now Comcast should never be allowed to believe that those channels are "fine", no matter what the context. They look like crap, pure and simple. They need to take the measures to improve all the digital cable channels, otherwise they'll never eliminate the high levels of churn that is well documented.
post #411 of 1587 Old 12-13-2004, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well by all means then, Al - feel free to continue confusing the crap out of folks by blurring legitimate issues specific to the 6412 (the whole purpose of this thread), with your long-simmering grudge about general Comcast issues which have NOTHING to do with the 6412.
post #412 of 1587 Old 12-13-2004, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like I'm not going to be able to check in as often as I was in the past. Anyone want to work for me?

VOD scrolling issue - this is a bug that we've fixed and it is now being tested. Hopefully it will be rolled out to subscribers soon. This issue can be triggered by scrolling quickly using the either the page up/page down or the up/down buttons. The temporary work around is to use the arrow keys and not scroll too quickly.

Box shows disk has stuff on it but no recordings are listed - This appears to have been triggered by a change made by Comcast in the cable network. We are testing a fix for this. For now, to recover your scheduled show list, remove power (remove the power cord) from the box and plug the power back in. You will still have all of your recorded shows.

A few minutes after the box reboots, you will be able to view your recorded shows as before, delete them, etc. However, all of your scheduled recordings, including series requests, will be lost. You will need to re-schedule these shows. You can quickly schedule shows to record by pressing the record button once (single recording) or twice (series recording) from any program listing view. You can also do this by selecting the on-screen buttons in the info screen for shows you wish to record.

We have shared information with Comcast on steps that can be taken to avoid this.

Red light - No, we weren't listening to Roxanne during development. There is a hardware phase that was released and does not have the right ID in our software. This will be address in a future version of our software. This does NOT indicate a defective box.

NBA League Pass recording - Some of the guide data was incorrect leading to some PPV channels not being recordable. This data was recently fixed and you should now be able to schedule recordings for these games.

Shows appear in scheduled list but don't record - This is related to duplicate recording detection. If we detect a duplicate airing of a show, it will not be recorded. How do we know it's a duplicate? You guessed it, guide data. Well, actually it's a little more complicated than that. However, there are some cases where the guide data reuses something that causes us to mark it as duplicate. We are working on a solution for this and have several fixes tested, waiting for a green light.

...and in closing - Thanks for all the feedback. We're determined to make this the best cable DVR solution and software platform available. I'm erring on the side of being as up front as I can publicly about known issues. I'm not sure that our competition is doing the same but this product is like my baby so I'm willing to support the AVS Forum folks in my spare time so I can engage the end users directly.

-Shan [MSFT]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
post #413 of 1587 Old 12-13-2004, 10:05 PM

Quote:

So let me see if I understand this correctly. The analog channels (ALL channels under 100) ARE in fact worse on the 6412 than on my previous Comcast box, as I had thought. ALL channels above 100 are Digital...whether the quite-nice HD channels, or the lousy TV Land 163, and supposedly they are NOT any worse on the 6412...the good ones are just as good, and the hideous ones (163, 473 VH-1 Classics, for example) were just as hideous before... and perhaps I just didn't notice how bad they were before I got the 6412. If I may ask:
1. Has everyone experienced the poor quality in the analog channels, and is there any recourse other than hoping for a next generation box?
2. Has anyone noticed ANY difference in the non-HD digital channels over 100, such as those mentioned above, for better or worse, or is the consensus that the picture quality is unchanged?

This has been confusing as my switch to the 6412 coincided with replacing my Fujitsu 50" plasma 10US with a 30WS, and I was wondering if the analog channels looked worse for some reason on the 30US (which didn't make sense to me), and that I was seeing more artifacts on digital channels (blockiness in colors and shadow detail), and I was waiting for Magnolia Hi-Fi to come out and check things out when I received the 6412, which has now thrown me for a loop. Any insight is appreciated.
Robert
post #414 of 1587 Old 12-13-2004, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The analog channels (< 100) on the 6412 are a hundred times worse than ever before, with the local analog channels being the worst of a bad bunch. Why so bad? The major causes have been mentioned a couple times here already:
  • it's a dual-tuner box, so it has an internal splitter to feed both analog tuners. If you had marginal signal quality before, this alone will probably put you over the edge into the toilet.
  • When you watch analog channels on the 6412, you're seeing the picture AFTER the dvr has finished compressing it - not even close to the normal analog picture. Noise resulting from weak signal (first item above) gets run thru the MPEG compressor and the result is a wiggly, headache-inducing nightmare of a picture.
As has also been pointed out - the only real workaround for this DVR-mangled analog PQ is to avoid the DVR. Watch analog channels using your TVs analog tuner instead, or the tuner in your VCR, Tivo, Replay, whatever. Just don't watch analog TV thru the 6412 DVR.

And no - the PQ of digital SD channels like TvLand is no different with the 6412 than with other Comcast boxes.
post #415 of 1587 Old 12-14-2004, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Hmm, I really didn't notice much of a hit on the sub-100 analog channels when compared to the 5100. I used to use a Sony studio tuner, ST-92TV and haven't put it on eBay it yet - perhaps I'll try hooking it up and see what it looks like. It is a top of the line NTSC tuner that I used with my CRT FP for years.

Obsession in moderation
post #416 of 1587 Old 12-14-2004, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For the past two days at around 10:30am I have been only able to record one station and not change channels. For example, if I start watching Showtime, then press REC, I can't change channels without stopping the recording. I'm sure nothing else is recording. If I press MY DVR, only the Showtime channel is recording.

The same situation occurred yesterday at the same time. Last night, however, I had no problems recording two shows. HD is 75% full.

Any one else?

Art

Art in Seattle
post #417 of 1587 Old 12-14-2004, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dr pinot

1. Has everyone experienced the poor quality in the analog channels, and is there any recourse other than hoping for a next generation box?

Comcast says this will be fixed when digital simulcast of the analogs begins sometime next year. Then just record the digital version of the analog channel. Whether or not this will truly be an improvement remains to be seen. But it sounds like they are headed in the right direction on this.
post #418 of 1587 Old 12-14-2004, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think I fixed the problem of only being able to record one channel and not being able to watch anything else without stopping the recording. See above post. I noticed a few interesting things.

a) When recording one channel (Showtime), I couldn't change channels without canceling the recording. I could, however, change the channel to 104 but then I was stuck there. "MY DVR" would still show that I was taping "Showtime," and not 104. Once on 104, if I wanted to change channels I had to "Cancel Recording" If I did this, it stopped recording "Showtime."

b) When I turned off the box and turned it back on, it always changed the channel to 104 no matter what it was on previously.

c) I noticed that the HD usage was at 75%, which seemed high to me.

d) Unplugged box. Plugged back in. Everything worked again. HD usage went down to 58%, box came back on on another channel other than 104, and I could again record two shows at once or watch one while recording another.

What happened?

Art in Seattle
post #419 of 1587 Old 12-14-2004, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 916
I kinda like the bad picture on the analog local stations.....makes the comparison
to the HD channels even more impressive to my non-HDTV owning friends.....

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison at SpectraCal

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #420 of 1587 Old 12-14-2004, 09:40 PM

I want to put two 6412s in my family room, but after reading through this thread, I have not seen anyone mention if its possible to assign the remotes different codes so that they both don't respond to the same remote.

If this isn't a possibility, it seems like a huge oversight, especially since the HD space is so limited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page