Washington State - Comcast 6412 w/ MSFT Software - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1587 Old 11-16-2004, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can recordings be truncated? For example, if I have a timed recording for a football game set up for 4 hours while I am out of town and the actual game time is 3:15, can the last 45 minutes be deleted to save space on the hard drive?

If not possible with 1.7, might it be possible with a future revision of firmware, software or both?

If not possible with the 6412 hardware, are there any DVR's out there that have this capability?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1587 Old 11-16-2004, 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SonomaSearcher
Anyone know if the 6412 is currently available in the Spokane area?

I would think so based on the press release and conference last week, which referenced the entirety of Washington State, but would like confirmation.

My two are scheduled to be installed Thursday between 3pm and 7pm.
post #93 of 1587 Old 11-16-2004, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a companion question to the one asked about truncating recordings. If I select a variable length event (such as a ballgame) for recording, will the recording continue until the broadcast ends?
post #94 of 1587 Old 11-16-2004, 02:02 PM

How do I find out where my local comcast installer is? I live in Bellevue.

Thanks
post #95 of 1587 Old 11-16-2004, 03:36 PM

Can I transfer pictures to the DVR?
I use my Replay to show a slideshow of digital pics on my SD TV. It would be cool to have this available now on HD.
post #96 of 1587 Old 11-16-2004, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by asherkobin
How do I find out where my local comcast installer is? I live in Bellevue.

Thanks

1-800-comcast or www.comcast.com

The office is located at 14870 NE 95th Street, Redmond.
post #97 of 1587 Old 11-16-2004, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

hinten

Not possible to transfer pictures. I miss my RePlays already. There is no 30-second skip or x-minute advance. The only way through commercials is to fast forward. It looks like a hit/miss proposition. I am over shooting or under shooting. Maybe I'll get used to it. Someone will probably write a macro-- but I am using a Harmony 676 universal remote which does not accept macros.

The Burger
post #98 of 1587 Old 11-16-2004, 04:02 PM

Anyone have a JP1 remote upgrade available yet for the 6412 ? I looked through the JP1 Files on Yahoo and didn't see one. I saw the 6208 codes but aren't sure they will work with the 6412.

Darryl
post #99 of 1587 Old 11-16-2004, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

I saw this post on the iGuide Forum

Here is the exact procedure to program a swap or 30 second skip to the remote.

1) Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2) Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
3) Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice
4) Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button
5) Type in the code 00173 (for 30 second Skip).
6) Press whatever button you want to map the skip or swap function to.

I tried this, using the FAV button. No luck. I then found the codes
here and tried the STOP function, 00174. It DID work. So, 00173 works with the 6412 and iGuide software--but not with the 6412 with MSTV FE 1.7 software.

Ideas, anyone??

The Burger
post #100 of 1587 Old 11-16-2004, 07:22 PM

I got a conflict trying to record Lost - it shows as 8:00 to 9:01 giving me an overlap. Is there any way to correct this type of thing? Can the start time of a show be varied or is 5 min the smallest increment?
post #101 of 1587 Old 11-16-2004, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I set up Lost to start at the published time and pad the end by 5 minutes. That should cover it. With two tuners there shouldn't be any conflict, unless you're trying to record three things at once.
post #102 of 1587 Old 11-16-2004, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Any way to bypass the encoder to watch the live, uncompressed picture for analog channels? It seems to me the analog PQ on the 6412 is worse than the 6200 it replaced, and I'd guess this is due to the MPEG2 compression loss. My ReplayTV has a "Bypass" button for this purpose - how about the 6412 running MSTV? Thanks.
post #103 of 1587 Old 11-16-2004, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

This is a well known NBC trick-- been causing problems with RePlay/TiVO users for a long time. No work around except to schedule back-to-back NBC shows- or pad as described above (but then you can record nothing between 9 and 9:30/10)

The Burger
post #104 of 1587 Old 11-16-2004, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

ADDITION to my post at bottom of previous page regarding 30-second fast forward:

The remote control unit that Comcast left me is called a Comcast Custom DVR 3-Device Universal Remote Control.

The Burger
post #105 of 1587 Old 11-16-2004, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

A few more answers-

:01 and :59 shows and truncating record requests - no way to record less than the scheduled time today. In the case of the :01 overlap, this should only impact you if you are tuner constrained at the overlap time. If this is the case, you can setup a manual recording for the non overlap time to record the show. I know, it's not ideal but with two tuners this will hopefully mitigate. Another option is to see if one of the shows airs at an alternate time. Some of the ABC shows re-run on Saturday night. The final option is to manually stop the earlier recording early/start the other one later (ie you manually tell the box to stop 2 minutes before the scheduled end time).

Truncating recorded shows - sorry, this is not currently supported due to reasons outside of MSTV control.

Bypassing MPEG encoder on analog channels - not currently supported and beyond MSTV control.

New/Re-run show handling - as you might imagine, we're at the mercy of the EPG data (and the networks reporting to the EPG data companies). If we record one and the guide data has enough information for us to determine that the others are duplicates, the others will not record.

-Shan [MSFT]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
post #106 of 1587 Old 11-17-2004, 07:54 AM

Am I the first one to notice that Comcast Seattle can't map their own channels properly in the 6412 MSTV Guide? 110 is listed as KTWB-DT, when actually it is KCTS Kids during the day, off at night. The actial WB digital channel is 114, listed as ABC News Now. ABC News is actually on 115, listed as No Information.

Guess no one else has the same lowbrow tastes- discovered this while trying to set up recording for Blue Collar TV.

Other than that, I like my new 6412! So lovely not to be a slave to schedule if I want to watch something in HDTV.
post #107 of 1587 Old 11-17-2004, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by drbenson
Am I the first one to notice that Comcast Seattle can't map their own channels properly in the 6412 MSTV Guide? 110 is listed as KTWB-DT, when actually it is KCTS Kids during the day, off at night. The actial WB digital channel is 114, listed as ABC News Now. ABC News is actually on 115, listed as No Information.

Well, I see KTWB-DT on 110, ABC News on 114, and KCTS Kids on 119 -- just as I did before the box switch. Don't know how yours could be different.
post #108 of 1587 Old 11-17-2004, 08:11 AM

What I want to know is when KIRO & CBS will be available in HD. I called Comcast for some info and they said Kiro isn't broadcasting in HD... but that is flat wrong, as they have an over the air signal available in HD.

Anyone have any inside information on when CBS will be on in HD in the Seattle area? I want CSI in HD -- I hear the corpses are amazing ;-).
post #109 of 1587 Old 11-17-2004, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by drbenson

Same answer as the other thread - your box has correct channel mappings for Seattle/Eastside. Seems your new box is configured for Seattle, not Kitsap...
post #110 of 1587 Old 11-17-2004, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by platbr
What I want to know is when KIRO & CBS will be available in HD. I called Comcast for some info and they said Kiro isn't broadcasting in HD... but that is flat wrong, as they have an over the air signal available in HD.

Anyone have any inside information on when CBS will be on in HD in the Seattle area? I want CSI in HD -- I hear the corpses are amazing ;-).

CBS-HD will be available on Seattle Comcast in Q1, 2003. No, that's not a typo - that's what they originally told us. Obviously it never happened. If you're really interested, please go back & read the HUNDREDS of posts on this topic in the Seattle/Comcast thread. It has nothing to do with MS-TV and therefore doesn't belong in this thread.
post #111 of 1587 Old 11-17-2004, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

LAMEST feature so far in the new guide:

Search by Program Title
enter "WEST WING"
No matches!

Search by Program Title
enter "THE WEST WING"
Oh OF COURSE! There it is, filed under "T". BRILLIANT!

Non-obvious workaround:

Search by Actor or Topic
enter "WEST WING"
Finds it just fine!

Moral of the story: Search by Program Title is useless. It's a very literal "starts with..." search on the title field only. Search by Actor or Topic appears to be more useful; it's a "contains..." search across several fields. Probably should be called Search by Actor or Keyword
post #112 of 1587 Old 11-17-2004, 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jimre
LAMEST feature so far in the new guide:

Search by Program Title
enter "WEST WING"
No matches!

Search by Program Title
enter "THE WEST WING"
Oh OF COURSE! There it is, filed under "T". BRILLIANT!

Non-obvious workaround:

Search by Actor or Topic
enter "WEST WING"
Finds it just fine!

Moral of the story: Search by Program Title is useless. It's a very literal "starts with..." search on the title field only. Search by Actor or Topic appears to be more useful; it's a "contains..." search across several fields. Probably should be called Search by Actor or Keyword

I found the same thing last night with THE amazing race.
post #113 of 1587 Old 11-17-2004, 08:55 AM

First I want to say i'm fairly impressed with the new guide/DVR. I need to spend some more time with it before making comments but I have one thing I wanted to throw out there. Has anyone thought about an easy way to have a DVR on more then two tvs? Here is my dillema. We watch tv in our living room on a RPTV HDTV and in our bedroom on a smaller SDTV. Due to some conflicts we have already come across I would like to have two DVRs. The easiest solution would be to put one DVR in the living room and one in the bedroom. The problem that arises is there is no way to share shows between the boxes. You could also record the same thing on both dvrs but that becomes a managing nightmare. I could put both boxes in the living room and modulate the signal upstairs but is there a way to assign a remote to a specific box? This problem even becomes more complicated if I get a HDTV in my bedroom. Any ideas? I feel like the way these boxes are designed they make it hard to have more then one DVR in the home. At $9.95/month/box I would think they would want to make it convienent for a subscriber to have as many DVRs as they want.
post #114 of 1587 Old 11-17-2004, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the workaround, jimre.

You can imagine my troubles when trying to find The Fog of War last night. All I could remember was that War was in the title.

My guess is that the Search by Program Title feature was intentioned designed the way it is. It is faster if you know the exact title. But is is definitely not intuitive that you need to go to Search by Actor or Topic if you do not have complete info on the show.

The Burger
post #115 of 1587 Old 11-17-2004, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by IssaquahHD
First I want to say i'm fairly impressed with the new guide/DVR. I need to spend some more time with it before making comments but I have one thing I wanted to throw out there. Has anyone thought about an easy way to have a DVR on more then two tvs? Here is my dillema. We watch tv in our living room on a RPTV HDTV and in our bedroom on a smaller SDTV. Due to some conflicts we have already come across I would like to have two DVRs. The easiest solution would be to put one DVR in the living room and one in the bedroom. The problem that arises is there is no way to share shows between the boxes. You could also record the same thing on both dvrs but that becomes a managing nightmare. I could put both boxes in the living room and modulate the signal upstairs but is there a way to assign a remote to a specific box? This problem even becomes more complicated if I get a HDTV in my bedroom. Any ideas? I feel like the way these boxes are designed they make it hard to have more then one DVR in the home. At $9.95/month/box I would think they would want to make it convienent for a subscriber to have as many DVRs as they want.

I've been spoiled by the network/sharing features of my ReplayTV boxes - so far this is the single thing I miss the most with the 6412, although I'm obviously willing to overlook this to get HD recording. There is an ethernet port on the 6412, but it's not enabled; "intended for future use" the manual says. I don't imagine ethernet is real high on their priority list. Also, can you imagine all the Comcast CATV installers having to become cross-trained in networking ("uh, let's see - I think you need a splitter on that DHCP thingy...")?

I don't know if there's any way to assign unique remote/IR codes for the 6412 boxes. A complicated (but attractively geeky) solution is PC-controlled IR-blaster box that has individually-addressable IR ports. Something like the Global Cache GC-100.
post #116 of 1587 Old 11-17-2004, 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dave
Anyone know where I can download the user manual for the DVR and Remote.

While it's not the user manual, I did find a useful help video for the DVR in the OnDemand section last night. It's listed under the 'Help & Services' category.

Try to look at the forest rather than focus on the trees, or waste hours upon hours critiquing minutia on the tree itself
post #117 of 1587 Old 11-17-2004, 11:54 AM

Shannon,

Didn't see this mentioned yet. Sorry if I overlooked it. Is there any wildcard capability available in the searches?

Try to look at the forest rather than focus on the trees, or waste hours upon hours critiquing minutia on the tree itself
post #118 of 1587 Old 11-17-2004, 12:11 PM

Quote:

If you're really interested, please go back & read the HUNDREDS of posts on this topic in the Seattle/Comcast thread. It has nothing to do with MS-TV and therefore doesn't belong in this thread.

Not to diminish the importance of the issue, but this topic is really starting to warrant it's own thread IMHO rather than continue to come up and generate the same posts over and over in the general Seattle thread.

post #119 of 1587 Old 11-17-2004, 12:51 PM

Quote:

I've been spoiled by the network/sharing features of my ReplayTV boxes - so far this is the single thing I miss the most with the 6412, although I'm obviously willing to overlook this to get HD recording. There is an ethernet port on the 6412, but it's not enabled; "intended for future use" the manual says. I don't imagine ethernet is real high on their priority list. Also, can you imagine all the Comcast CATV installers having to become cross-trained in networking ("uh, let's see - I think you need a splitter on that DHCP thingy...")?

I don't know if there's any way to assign unique remote/IR codes for the 6412 boxes. A complicated (but attractively geeky) solution is PC-controlled IR-blaster box that has individually-addressable IR ports. Something like the Global Cache GC-100.

I found another wrinkle to my problem. The 6412 will not output overlay graphics (guide, etc.) on the composite or s-video output when the output is set to anything but 480i. So much for my plan to modulate the signal to the rest of the house. I would have to change the setting every time I wanted to watch tv in the bedroom. I'm thinking the easiest answer is a DVR in each room and i'll deal with having to record everything in every room.
post #120 of 1587 Old 11-17-2004, 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by shannonv
Another option is to see if one of the shows airs at an alternate time. Some of the ABC shows re-run on Saturday night.

If there is a conflict and the show has an alternate airing time, will the PVR pick it up automatically (since it didn't record at the original time due to conflict)? -- Tivo does this.

Quote:

New/Re-run show handling - as you might imagine, we're at the mercy of the EPG data (and the networks reporting to the EPG data companies). If we record one and the guide data has enough information for us to determine that the others are duplicates, the others will not record. [/b]

Do you depend solely on the "New/Repeat" field of the EPG data, or do you also look at things like original air date for the show?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page