Forum Jump: 

post #8671 of 8830 Old 10-15-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tesla:

I don't believe there's a settings key on the Comcast remote. I'm at work so I can't look right now. I read to press the settings key twice to get to the general menu, but I don't know how to do that with the Comcast remote (unless it is really there, either explicitly or hidden). Is there a settings button on the unit itself that I just can't find? Perhaps it is Comcast's way to stop users from accessing the settings menus?

Thanks,

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8672 of 8830 Old 10-15-2010, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidbuck View Post

Tesla:

I don't believe there's a settings key on the Comcast remote. I'm at work so I can't look right now. I read to press the settings key twice to get to the general menu, but I don't know how to do that with the Comcast remote (unless it is really there, either explicitly or hidden). Is there a settings button on the unit itself that I just can't find? Perhaps it is Comcast's way to stop users from accessing the settings menus?

Thanks,

Rich

If you have the remote I just looked at online, try the Menu button, it says it is used to access the Quick and General Settings on SA boxes.

Cheers, Dave
post #8673 of 8830 Old 10-15-2010, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

If you have the remote I just looked at online, try the Menu button, it says it is used to access the Quick and General Settings on SA boxes.

Thanks, DoubleDAZ, I will check that when I get home tonight.

Rich N.
post #8674 of 8830 Old 10-15-2010, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Houston, Texas Comcast SA 8300HD DVRs Guide S25 Phase 1 with Patch
Quote:

Tesla:

Thanks,

Rich

There is not a settings key on the unit. If DoubleDAZ's suggestion doesn't work and your remote does not have a settings key, you should get a different remote control unit from Comcast that does. Press the settings key twice to get to the General Settings page, then use the arrow keys to find Display: Power On and select one of the following "Show Channel when tuning", "Show Channel always" or "Show Time-of-Day always". Also, you can use Display: Power Off to show the "Time when powered off" or "Blank when powered off".
post #8675 of 8830 Old 10-15-2010, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post

There is not a settings key on the unit. If DoubleDAZ's suggestion doesn't work and your remote does not have a settings key, you should get a different remote control unit from Comcast that does. Press the settings key twice to get to the General Settings page, then use the arrow keys to find Display: Power On and select one of the following "Show Channel when tuning", "Show Channel always" or "Show Time-of-Day always". Also, you can use Display: Power Off to show the "Time when powered off" or "Blank when powered off".

Thanks, RussB. Since Verizon is installing their fiber in our Condominium complex next week, maybe Comcast will give some if its service (you've seen the ads, "If you're not happy, we're not happy") so we'll see.

Rich N.
post #8676 of 8830 Old 10-15-2010, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, DoubleDAZ, I will check that when I get home tonight.

Rich N.

I just found the menu button and I was able to change to show channel always.

Thanks to DobuleDAZ, RussB and Tesla for your help.

Rich N.
post #8677 of 8830 Old 10-17-2010, 09:59 AM

I recently had this problem with my 8300HD STB. I lost the video on the TV and the screen went black, but I still had audio. I was still able to see the guide and the "My DVR" library of scheduled and recorded shows. After checking out everything I found that the PIP via the STB had video and audio. If I swapped pictures, the PIP showed the new video and the main screen still remained black. I tried a regular re-boot of the STB and everything is back to normal.

Apparently one of the drives was not showing the video. Could this possibly be a sign that the box is going and should be swapped out? I have it for a few years and it has circa 2007 SARA software.
post #8678 of 8830 Old 10-17-2010, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdsnls View Post

I recently had this problem with my 8300HD STB. I lost the video on the TV and the screen went black, but I still had audio. I was still able to see the guide and the "My DVR" library of scheduled and recorded shows. After checking out everything I found that the PIP via the STB had video and audio. If I swapped pictures, the PIP showed the new video and the main screen still remained black. I tried a regular re-boot of the STB and everything is back to normal.

Apparently one of the drives was not showing the video. Could this possibly be a sign that the box is going and should be swapped out? I have it for a few years and it has circa 2007 SARA software.

Since a reboot corrected the problem, it probably is a software bug. If it keeps happening on a regular basis, it might be hardware and changing the box would be needed. A new box would still have the circa 2007 SARA software.
post #8679 of 8830 Old 10-18-2010, 04:39 AM

Quote:

Since a reboot corrected the problem, it probably is a software bug. If it keeps happening on a regular basis, it might be hardware and changing the box would be needed. A new box would still have the circa 2007 SARA software.

I see my software version is same as yours. If I do replace the box I would be getting a Cisco RNG-200, since that is what Comcast is issuing in my area. I've read pros and cons about the new boxes. Even if my problem never repeats itself, do you see any advantage to me replacing the 8300 with the 200? Thanks for your help.
post #8680 of 8830 Old 10-18-2010, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see my software version is same as yours. If I do replace the box I would be getting a Cisco RNG-200, since that is what Comcast is issuing in my area. I've read pros and cons about the new boxes. Even if my problem never repeats itself, do you see any advantage to me replacing the 8300 with the 200? Thanks for your help.

There is a slight difference with the SARA version used on the Cisco RNG-200 because the Cisco RNG-200 uses a cable card. In Houston, the Cisco RNG-200 SARA version shows program information for a recorded show that is being played back by just pressing the info key, but the SA 8300 HD SARA version only shows the playback channel information. This could be a configuration parameter that is different. When the Cisco RNG-200 first came out there were a lot of complaints but I think most of those were corrected. I haven't seen any reason to exchange the SA 8300 for a Cisco RNG-200.

Comcast is replacing SARA with different DVR software and guide that is based on their software used on the Motorola STBs. The conversion is ongoing and should be completed in early 2011. The new software has a problem with the HDMI audio on the 8300 HD but works correctly on the Cisco RNG-200. Comcast is working on a patch for this, but if you have that problem it might be worth exchanging the 8300 HD for a Cisco RNG-200.

For more information on Comcast's New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Box, click on the following link:

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...ble-boxes.html
post #8681 of 8830 Old 10-18-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:

There is a slight difference with the SARA version used on the Cisco RNG-200 because the Cisco RNG-200 uses a cable card. In Houston, the Cisco RNG-200 SARA version shows program information for a recorded show that is being played back by just pressing the info key, but the SA 8300 HD SARA version only shows the playback channel information. This could be a configuration parameter that is different. When the Cisco RNG-200 first came out there were a lot of complaints but I think most of those were corrected. I haven't seen any reason to exchange the SA 8300 for a Cisco RNG-200.

Comcast is replacing SARA with different DVR software and guide that is based on their software used on the Motorola STBs. The conversion is ongoing and should be completed in early 2011. The new software has a problem with the HDMI audio on the 8300 HD but works correctly on the Cisco RNG-200. Comcast is working on a patch for this, but if you have that problem it might be worth exchanging the 8300 HD for a Cisco RNG-200.

For more information on Comcast's New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Box, click on the following link:

Again, thank you. You have been very helpful. The blog contains some excellent information. I'll stick with the 8300 until I start having problems.
post #8682 of 8830 Old 10-20-2010, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

This is the problem I discussed in my previous post.

These posts are from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

Quote:

I just received my guide update overnight (Southern NH). My question is in regards to Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. So before the change I was able to get DD 5.1 on most every channel (once I set it up properly). However after the guide change it doesn't work.

I searched in the setup menus and found that my Dolby Digital was "Off". So I turned it "On" and yet it still is not functioning like it did last night.

I am using and HDMI for video, optical cable for audio. I read that this setup can sometimes cause 5.1 problems, but how could it be working yesterday and now not working with just a guide update.

Any assistance getting me back to 5.1 would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Seth

Seth | October 20, 2010 9:31 AM

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...#comment-35337

Quote:

Hello Seth - The SA cable boxes and this new guide should be treating all audio output types equally without any custom customer configuration necessary. However, we uncovered an issue during our Connecticut guide deployments where the HDMI cable was taking precedence over any other audio output type.

Customers using both HDMI cables and optical audio cables together (with the HDMI cable feeding the TV and the optical audio cable feeding the surround sound system) are not receiving Dolby digital audio though their surround sound system. This is certainly not intended and not by design. The issue has been identified and a fix is coming soon.

A short term work around would be to use component cables for video or in most all areas you can swap your current cable box for an RNG 200 (a DVR) or RNG 150 (HD only box) where this identified issue is not present.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Seth | October 20, 2010 7:38 PM

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...#comment-35353

post #8683 of 8830 Old 10-20-2010, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

There is a slight difference with the SARA version used on the Cisco RNG-200 because the Cisco RNG-200 uses a cable card. In Houston, the Cisco RNG-200 SARA version shows program information for a recorded show that is being played back by just pressing the info key, but the SA 8300 HD SARA version only shows the playback channel information. This could be a configuration parameter that is different.

FYI: My SA8240HDC with SARA v1.90.5.a113 has the Recorded Show info when you press the Info button during playback. My old SA8300 SARA version unknown, did not have that feature. So I believe it is a SARA version issue as opposed to a Box Model issue. Both the SA8240HDC and RNG-200 have much more on-board RAM available, amount of available memory might affect which SARA Version a box gets.

I wonder why Cox never deployed the Cisco RNG-200, It also has a 1GHz Tuner.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #8684 of 8830 Old 10-21-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

I wonder why Cox never deployed the Cisco RNG-200, It also has a 1GHz Tuner.

Isn't the RNG-200 more of a omnibus phone, Internet, home network type device, rather than a simple DVR? I ask because I do not know. I am unfamiliar with the RNG-200.
post #8685 of 8830 Old 10-21-2010, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Isn't the RNG-200 more of a omnibus phone, Internet, home network type device, rather than a simple DVR? I ask because I do not know. I am unfamiliar with the RNG-200.

Here is a description of the RNG200 HD DVR.
Quote:

Cisco RNG200 HD DVR

On-Demand Digital Entertainment

Television and digital entertainment in your home may never be the same. With the Cisco RNG200 All-Digital High-Definition Digital Video Recorder, you can watch programming on your schedule-watch what you want, when you want—and more.

With this advanced interactive set-top you can record up to 90 hours of your favorite programming, record one program while watching or recording another and even view two separate video sources simultaneously.

http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/pr...op-rng200.html

post #8686 of 8830 Old 10-22-2010, 03:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Comcast just changed my box's guide, southern NH too. Very annoying, love the fact that you constantly have to scroll through ads on the bottom of the screen.

Anyway, I can no longer find the pass through option and my DVR is no longer passing through broadcast resolutions, it's changing everything to 1080i (I have all the resolutions selected in the box itself) on the HD channels and 480p on the SD's. There is no more option for this in the guide settings menu.

Is it there somewhere? How do I change it to pass through with this new guide configuration?

Also, it seemed to have changed my audio settings? What are the recommended settings for someone with a good setup? When I turn Dolby Digfital (which I assumed was 5.1) on in the new Guide settings I suddenly get 2.1 output only. Also, given my setup should I set the audio compression to "none" it defaulted to "heavy"?

I'm using component for video and the single coax cable for audio, by the way.

This new Guide friggin' sucks ass.
post #8687 of 8830 Old 10-22-2010, 10:58 AM

The audio issue is an unintended glitch on Comcast's part. Apparently a fix has been created and is being tested in preparation for roll out very soon. Cisco RNG models aren't affected, so if you don't want to wait for the fix, you could swap out the SA8300 for one of those.

The pass through issue is not a glitch. Comcast purposely eliminated it for SA users because the Motorola customers with the A28 guide don't have it, never have with previous versions, and the SARA to S25 upgrade for SA areas was done in the name of uniformity with what the Motorola customers have. That's also why PIP is toast. Looking into the future, PIP is probably done for good, but if enough people hammer Comcast on pass through, it might be brought back. Of course it should never have gotten the axe in the first place.
post #8688 of 8830 Old 10-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
You're friggin' kidding me?! I don't have pass through anymore because somebody else never had it to begin with? Christ, that makes no sense.

Fox broadcasts in 720p which I watch all the time, as do some others, having the box crappily convert it to 1080i is obnoxious.

Honestly, I think I'll start seriously looking into satellite options.
post #8689 of 8830 Old 10-22-2010, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Mine did that the other night after the baseball game. But after random button pressing it returned to normal.

Kevin
post #8690 of 8830 Old 10-22-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post

Mine did that the other night after the baseball game. But after random button pressing it returned to normal.

This occured to me after watching a saved show on the DVR library. I switched backed to an HD channel and within a few minutes the screen went black and the audio remained. The only way I could correct it was to re-boot the box. It hasn't happened since. I use HDMI and first assumed it had something to do with this connection but the PIP via the box was OK, so it had to be something else.
post #8691 of 8830 Old 10-22-2010, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky-Dinkins View Post

You're friggin' kidding me?! I don't have pass through anymore because somebody else never had it to begin with? Christ, that makes no sense.

Fox broadcasts in 720p which I watch all the time, as do some others, having the box crappily convert it to 1080i is obnoxious.

Honestly, I think I'll start seriously looking into satellite options.

You can use the Setup Wizard to select either 1080i or 720p on the new guide. The Setup Wizard is the only way to change it.

There are recent posts about this in Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

post #8692 of 8830 Old 11-15-2010, 05:04 AM

Is there any way to set the volume in the STB to remain at the maximum setting of "30"? I find this is the best setting. When the box re-boots after a power glitch or outage, it always goes back to "17" which requires me to increase the volume on the box back to "30". There is no option in the 'menu' for this function.

S/A 8300-HD/DVR (SARA)
post #8693 of 8830 Old 11-15-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
In the menu select "audio volume control" and select "variable". Run the volume up to 30. Then select "fixed". This should keep it at 30 even if the box loses power. Does on mine anyway.

Quote:

Is there any way to set the volume in the STB to remain at the maximum setting of "30"? I find this is the best setting. When the box re-boots after a power glitch or outage, it always goes back to "17" which requires me to increase the volume on the box back to "30". There is no option in the 'menu' for this function.

S/A 8300-HD/DVR (SARA)

post #8694 of 8830 Old 11-15-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

In the menu select "audio volume control" and select "variable". Run the volume up to 30. Then select "fixed". This should keep it at 30 even if the box loses power. Does on mine anyway.

As I stated, there is no option in the menu for this, i.e. "audio volume control". My SARA software version is 1.89.22.2. Is it possible your version is newer, which may include this option?
post #8695 of 8830 Old 11-15-2010, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Yep, could be my version has this and yours doesn't. Just to be sure, you did hit menu twice to get the expanded menu, right? Please don't take offense at this question.

Quote:

As I stated, there is no option in the menu for this, i.e. "audio volume control". My SARA software version is 1.89.22.2. Is it possible your version is newer, which may include this option?

post #8696 of 8830 Old 11-16-2010, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post
Yep, could be my version has this and yours doesn't. Just to be sure, you did hit menu twice to get the expanded menu, right? Please don't take offense at this question.
Yes, I went to the expanded menu. No offense taken.
post #8697 of 8830 Old 11-16-2010, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Yes, I went to the expanded menu. No offense taken.

Chances are your cableco didn't activate that option, it's been there since day one. You might give them a call and discuss the problem. Does your box reboot that often?

Cheers, Dave
post #8698 of 8830 Old 11-16-2010, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

As I stated, there is no option in the menu for this, i.e. "audio volume control".

I don't have this either. Wish I did, since I have the exact same annoying issue.
post #8699 of 8830 Old 11-16-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

...Does your box reboot that often?

No, only during the frequent lightning and thunderstorms during the summer. Also, I have it plugged into a Panamax which shuts it down when it detects unsafe low or high voltage. I prefer it connected this way since a neighbor had their box, not connected to any protection, fried during a storm.
post #8700 of 8830 Old 12-10-2010, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I may have missed this a more than a few pages back, but the past month my cable box downstairs converts the signal instead of passing through to 1080i which I had set. My box upstairs (same 8300HD) does not. I've went back through the setup wizard and it still changes from 480i, 720p, etc.

I haven't changed anything, but I know how things get reset sometimes.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page