SA 8300 HD Tips & Tricks -- SARA - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 8830 Old 09-30-2005, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
It looks like you both need to post your version information to clear this up, or as is more likely the case, muddy the waters even more.

Cheers, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 8830 Old 09-30-2005, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

It looks like you both need to post your version information to clear this up, or as is more likely the case, muddy the waters even more.

I have Home Server Version 1.8 and Sara Software version 1.88.11.2. CV said they were having his issue in Keensburg NJ and now Piscataway NJ......

Eternal Optimist
post #1353 of 8830 Old 09-30-2005, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have the same version, all of CV land has the same SARA version running on the DVR's.
post #1354 of 8830 Old 09-30-2005, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 358
I have been talking with DoubleDAZ about a problem with my 8300/SARA from Comcast

the stb seems to be stuck in a HD stretch mode and I cannot change it

I have gone into setup and selected 720p & 1080i: all other modes locked out

when viewing INHD 2, the screen is clearly streched: the HD zoom button on the remote does nothing: changing the picture format menu does nothing

using component video out: I know it is not the display(Fujitsu P63) because when I connect my 3250 it works fine

DoubleDAZ thinks it might be defective but I am open to any other ideas?

Thanks
post #1355 of 8830 Old 09-30-2005, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mark, you never answered my last question, that is what the Picture Size was in the Quick Settings. If this is something other than "Normal" and you can't change it, then you might try a "Hard" Reboot (I don't remember if you already tried that). If that doesn't work, I think the box is bad.

Cheers, Dave
post #1356 of 8830 Old 10-01-2005, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Mark, you never answered my last question, that is what the Picture Size was in the Quick Settings. If this is something other than "Normal" and you can't change it, then you might try a "Hard" Reboot (I don't remember if you already tried that). If that doesn't work, I think the box is bad.

Fixed

the hard reboot did it: now the HD zoom button works

Thanks DoubleDaz
post #1357 of 8830 Old 10-01-2005, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mark,

I'm glad that fixed it, but for future reference the "Fixed" setting was not the one I was after. There are 2 different menus of settings; Quick Settings and General Settings. If you press the Settings button only once, you get to the Quick Settings menu (look at the title at the top). When you press it a second time, you then get to the General Settings menu, the one where you found the Picture Format option (Fixed, Pass-Through, etc.).

If you press the Settings button once and stay in the Quick Settings menu, scroll down and you should find an option for Picture Size. When not zooming, this should be set to Normal and this was the setting I was asking about.

Let me know if you now understand what I was asking about.

Cheers, Dave
post #1358 of 8830 Old 10-01-2005, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Mark,

I'm glad that fixed it, but for future reference the "Fixed" setting was not the one I was after. There are 2 different menus of settings; Quick Settings and General Settings. If you press the Settings button only once, you get to the Quick Settings menu (look at the title at the top). When you press it a second time, you then get to the General Settings menu, the one where you found the Picture Format option (Fixed, Pass-Through, etc.).

If you press the Settings button once and stay in the Quick Settings menu, scroll down and you should find an option for Picture Size. When not zooming, this should be set to Normal and this was the setting I was asking about.

Let me know if you now understand what I was asking about.

now I understand: I was confused because it is labeled 'menu' and I was looking for another button

now I see the picture size option in the first menu: so all is well: Thanks again for your help
post #1359 of 8830 Old 10-01-2005, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 222
My local Cox starts to offer MR DVR service. No detail info I can get yet. All I see the $39.99 for installation and activation. I'd like to know if HD playback is supported from other non-DVR box in the house before I jump in. Last time I heard only SD playback is supported (long time ago).
post #1360 of 8830 Old 10-01-2005, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCleary View Post

...I am finding "dot crawl"...in my hi-def channels. I am using a high quality HDMI connection and since you shouldn't ever see dot crawl with a cable higher than composite I am at a loss.

HDMI is capable of passing along dot crawl generated by equipment along the way. Just today, I was surprised to see dot crawl on an OTA Fox HD broadcast fed in 720p over HDMI to my native-720p Samsung HLP4674. When I dropped the feed to 480p and let the Samsung do its own upconversion to 720p, the dot crawl went away.

The normal composite-video limitations that lead to dot crawl don't exist with HDMI, but the quirks of different upconversion processes seem to be capable of creating dot crawl digitally.

You might try selecting another output resolution to prevent the artifacts you've noticed.
post #1361 of 8830 Old 10-01-2005, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

My local Cox starts to offer MR DVR service. No detail info I can get yet. All I see the $39.99 for installation and activation. I'd like to know if HD playback is supported from other non-DVR box in the house before I jump in. Last time I heard only SD playback is supported (long time ago).

I thought some of the earlier discussions centered around the SA8300MR-SD being the first unit available. I thought the SA8300MR-HD, when released, would push an HD image to another HD box, like the SA3250HD. I don't remember where that earlier discussion is though. Are you sure they are offering the HD version (wherever you are )?

Cheers, Dave
post #1362 of 8830 Old 10-01-2005, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Hey where is this being offered?
I want this here in Vegas ASAP!
post #1363 of 8830 Old 10-01-2005, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

It is offered in Fairfax, VA. In fact they even setup a MRDVR hot line phone number for ordering and tech support. Unfortunately, I can't reach anyone from the sales to get any information. Either there is long waiting or no one is answering the phone. The flyer didn't even mention HD (or SD in the matter). So it might possibly just the SD version. I'll try to call them again but just wondering if anyone here get any information.
post #1364 of 8830 Old 10-01-2005, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought some of the earlier discussions centered around the SA8300MR-SD being the first unit available. I thought the SA8300MR-HD, when released, would push an HD image to another HD box, like the SA3250HD. I don't remember where that earlier discussion is though. Are you sure they are offering the HD version (wherever you are )?

I seemed to remember even the 8300HDMR-HD can only push SD to other boxes. The flyer does mention that it requires SA 2000 Rev. 3 or later STB.
post #1365 of 8830 Old 10-02-2005, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FoxBat121,

I think you are correct. FWIW, here is a quote from page 13 of the SA8300HD-MR Getting Started guide from S-A's website:
Quote:

What Features Are Not Currently Supported In MR-DVR?
Currently, MR-DVR does not support Explorer HD set-tops as client set-tops. The HD recordings from the 8300 MR-DVR server are not available for playback on Explorer HD set-tops in a multi-room environment.

Cheers, Dave
post #1366 of 8830 Old 10-06-2005, 11:53 AM

I think the 8300HD's HDMI jack says "HDMI" next to it, in regular text.

Does anyone have an 8300HD with an HDMI logo, either on the front panel or near the jack?

I'm told it's a no-no to put the logo on a product that isn't HDMI-certified. While the logo's not required, seeing one on the 8300HD would be a good sign.
post #1367 of 8830 Old 10-06-2005, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
StevenZ:

Just checked the back of mine and it appears to have the correct HDMI logo, complete with the stylized D. I bought mine over a year ago.
post #1368 of 8830 Old 10-07-2005, 03:21 PM

Quote:

GRock,

The first post contains an item titled "Audio Out Using HDMI Connection" that discusses how to get DD audio. As Jon Lowe mentioned, this only works if your cableco has enabled that option in the General Settings.

Called charter to see if they could upgrade the software (or enable the setting) to get Dolby with the hdmi hooked up since it is not a selection under settings as per SA manual. They would only send out a local tech guy who knew less than I did. He was suppose to call some top tech guy in Birmingham area and get an answer and call me back. Well that was three weeks ago. If I keep pressing does anyone know if they (charter) can upgrade the there software (or enable the setting) on demand if needed? or is charter behind the times. My $100 dollar HDMI cable is collecting dust! Paul Allen please help!

Sony 46 RPCRT
SA 8300hd box
Sony 900 AV
Sony DVDp, 5 disc cd, vcr
JBL center speaker, inwall surround speakers
Advent stereo speakers (no sub)
post #1369 of 8830 Old 10-07-2005, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRock View Post

Called charter to see if they could upgrade the software (or enable the setting) to get Dolby with the hdmi hooked up since it is not a selection under settings as per SA manual. They would only send out a local tech guy who knew less than I did. He was suppose to call some top tech guy in Birmingham area and get an answer and call me back. Well that was three weeks ago. If I keep pressing does anyone know if they (charter) can upgrade the there software (or enable the setting) on demand if needed? or is charter behind the times. My $100 dollar HDMI cable is collecting dust! Paul Allen please help!

Isn't there a feature on your TV set to turn off or accept digital Audio over HDMI? That way your TV won't be forcing the STB to pass PCM instead of DD5.1
Just for the record, your STB WILL pass DD5.1 over HDMI. But, Your TV is telling it to NOT send DD5.1 because the TV can't accept that type of signal and instead, send a different format (probably PCM).

vegggas

Helpful Links
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1370 of 8830 Old 10-07-2005, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just started to dig for info concerning this product. What is the deal with the audio with HDMI? I know the new HDTVs have HDMI, but how many home theaters do not have an audio/video receiver? Are they running the HDMI to the TV and then to the A/V receiver? So to use HDMI you would still have to run a audio cable out to the receiver?

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #1371 of 8830 Old 10-08-2005, 01:42 PM

I run a digital coax cable from the 8300 to my receiver (making sure to select the digital audio option on the 8300 setup) and then run the HDMI cable from the 8300 to the TV. Until they get (inexpensive) HDMI switching receivers, I think this is the best method currently available. So in answer to your question, maybe If you want to use a receiver for your sound, you'll need to do something like I mention. If you want to use the audio on your TV, you would just plug the HDMI cable into your TV and the sound will play through your TV's speakers (with no audio cables necessary...just the 1 HDMI cable carrying audio and video).
post #1372 of 8830 Old 10-08-2005, 11:27 PM

Hello there. I posted this a while ago, but I think I posted in the wrong place, so now that I found this thread, I thought I'd try here. I am an experienced DVR user as I have two Tivos and also used on of the Time Warner DVRs, but now I am using a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVR using SARA software version 1.87 and I'm about to go crazy trying to get this thing to work. First I had problems with it recording shows and then stopping the recording before the show ended so I'd only get partial recordings. I did a search on this problem and did a hard reboot which seemed to fix this problem. But now I have another problem that keeps cropping up no matter how many reboots I do. The DVR will just skip recording of shows that it is scheduled to record. The shows show up in my recorded list but when I click play I get nothing but a the DVR Playback channel main screen and no show. It's like the recorder recorded an hour of nothing. The DVR is set properly and the problem is hit and miss but it driving me insane. Why is this happening and how do I fix it? Thank you in advance!
post #1373 of 8830 Old 10-09-2005, 05:20 AM

I was not able to get 5 channel audio through the optical output on my 8300, when using HDMI. The 8300 owners manual (page 5) states that you have to go to the general settings menu and select Dolby Digital from the Audio: Digital Out option. This feature was not available in my General Settings window. I talked to 3 levels of technical support (TWC) and got nowhere. The technical support group told me that I could only get 5 channel audio with HDMI if I ordered one of the premium packages, which I wasn't interested in. I then sent an e-mail to customer service (TWC) about a month ago asking if they could turn the feature on. I received an e-mail on Friday saying my e-mail had been forwarded to their engineering department and that the feature had now been turned on. I checked my general settings menu and the Audio: Digital Out feature is now there. I set it to Dolby Digital. My AVR now displays Dolby Digital and not PCM. More importantly I'm now getting 5.1 audio from my surround speakers.
post #1374 of 8830 Old 10-09-2005, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you have to subscribe to a premium package?

post #1375 of 8830 Old 10-09-2005, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

TChips,

I don't know that I've heard of this problem, certainly not recently. Have you noticed whether or not the recorded list actually shows that the recording is an hour long or is the program title simply in the list with a 0 length? How often is this happening and what shows are involved? Is there any particular time of day involved?

Also, what is your location and why not add it to your profile, it does help diagnose some problems?

Cheers, Dave
post #1376 of 8830 Old 10-09-2005, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

Did you have to subscribe to a premium package?

No.
post #1377 of 8830 Old 10-09-2005, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the Home Theater 9000 remote control. Will this work with the SA8300 DVR? If not will their remote work with my Sony HDTV and A/V Receiver?

post #1378 of 8830 Old 10-09-2005, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChips View Post

Hello there. I posted this a while ago, but I think I posted in the wrong place, so now that I found this thread, I thought I'd try here. I am an experienced DVR user as I have two Tivos and also used on of the Time Warner DVRs, but now I am using a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVR using SARA software version 1.87 and I'm about to go crazy trying to get this thing to work. First I had problems with it recording shows and then stopping the recording before the show ended so I'd only get partial recordings. I did a search on this problem and did a hard reboot which seemed to fix this problem. But now I have another problem that keeps cropping up no matter how many reboots I do. The DVR will just skip recording of shows that it is scheduled to record. The shows show up in my recorded list but when I click play I get nothing but a the DVR Playback channel main screen and no show. It's like the recorder recorded an hour of nothing. The DVR is set properly and the problem is hit and miss but it driving me insane. Why is this happening and how do I fix it? Thank you in advance!

You may need to reset your box again. You may also want to try removing the shows that are not being recorded and adding them back in again. I had some similar problems with my 8300 and reseting and removing and readding shows seemed to fix most of the problems. On mine, it would show that it was recording the show (red in guide, red "record" LED lit), but I would get the list screen. Once I rebooted the box, it actually removed the shows it said it was recording previously...very strange activity, but it eventually "figured it out" after the reset/reboot.
post #1379 of 8830 Old 10-09-2005, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One of the things that will cause problems like that is having programs scheduled for "this channel, any timeslot". As you add weekly recordings to the schedule, the "any timeslot" recordings can often end up causing conflicts where 3 or more programs end up on the schedule for the same timeslot when only 2 are allowed. The 8300 does not identify this as a potential conflict whereas the Tivo uses a priority scheme to handle this and record something.

In this case, nothing gets recorded and simply removing the offending programs from the schedule does not result in the remaining programs being recorded. They have to be deleted and rescheduled. I had this happen several times when I was recording all episodes of poker on ESPN where the timeslot changed frequently (along with some similar programs) and the timeslots overlapped other scheduled recordings. I was able to reproduce the problem at will.

Cheers, Dave
post #1380 of 8830 Old 10-09-2005, 10:07 PM

[quote=DoubleDAZ]TChips,

I don't know that I've heard of this problem, certainly not recently. Have you noticed whether or not the recorded list actually shows that the recording is an hour long or is the program title simply in the list with a 0 length? How often is this happening and what shows are involved? Is there any particular time of day involved? [quote]

Hello, thanks for the response. I noticed that when this happens the recording list shows that the recording was 1 hour long but there is nothing there. It's happened a couple of times that I noticed. Now that I think of it, they were all on CBS HD.

I will do as suggested and fix the recordings from the any timeslot setting to prevent future conflicts. I will also try to reset the box, if I can find the instructions on the front of this thread and see if that helps. Thank you all so much.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page