SA 8300 HD Tips & Tricks -- SARA - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 8832 Old 01-13-2005, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
After my post I went back through the thread and tried to read most of it.

I'm a TWC customer in NC, so maybe it's something that TWC has enabled in the software. I'll try and find the version of the software I'm running when I get home.

As to the Season's pass manager, my 8300HD has what's called a "Series Manager". Once you press list, you hit "B" (I think, from memory) to get into the Series Manager. Once there, you can select a show and you have options (including priority) for that series. I can take a pic tonight if it will help.

I have a question as well: I have some of the same problems with side bars that many are complaining of. I feel it's that my unit wasn't set up properly (pass-through, output resolutions, etc.) when it was delivered, but I can't get into the setup wizard screen by pressing Info and Guide after turning the unit off. Is there something else I need to do or is it possible that TWC has disabled this option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 8832 Old 01-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by ShannonT
As to the Season's pass manager, my 8300HD has what's called a "Series Manager". Once you press list, you hit "B" (I think, from memory) to get into the Series Manager. Once there, you can select a show and you have options (including priority) for that series. I can take a pic tonight if it will help.

This would be great if it is in a future verion of the SARA software. However, ShannonT probably has the PASSPORT software.

One question regarding SARA software version:
Is there a location in the diagnostic mode that lists WHEN the last version of SARA was downloaded? I couldn't find it. If anyone can, please list the page # & location when in diagnostic mode.

Albany NY TWC is currently running SARA version 1.85.17.3.
post #153 of 8832 Old 01-13-2005, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by AlbanyHDTV
This would be great if it is in a future verion of the SARA software. However, ShannonT probably has the PASSPORT software.

One question regarding SARA software version:
Is there a location in the diagnostic mode that lists WHEN the last version of SARA was downloaded? I couldn't find it. If anyone can, please list the page # & location when in diagnostic mode.

Albany NY TWC is currently running SARA version 1.85.17.3.

Lucky Shannon! Wish I had that software.

I see download information for SARA on the page listed Component Information. Don't know exactly what page that is but that's where it has a date and the version of SARA.

MY NAME IS NOT BILL (but you can call me hook)

post #154 of 8832 Old 01-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by hookbill
I see download information for SARA on the page listed Component Information. Don't know exactly what page that is but that's where it has a date and the version of SARA.

You are correct. Component Information is on page 17 of 30.

Here in Albany, NY, it lists:
NAME: SARA
VERSION: 1.85.17.3
DATE: 10/20/04 6:11:00 PM EDT

It also lists:
NAME: OS
VERSION: 6.8.9.4
DATE: 08/11/04 12:32:01 PM EDT

What is "OS"? Operating System? What's that?
post #155 of 8832 Old 01-13-2005, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You are correct. Component Information is on page 17 of 30.

It also lists:
NAME: OS
VERSION: 6.8.9.4
DATE: 08/11/04 12:32:01 PM EDT

What is "OS"? Operating System? What's that?

I have to count the screens, I don't have them numbered. When I counted it was on screen 15.

I have the same version OS that you have. I assume that just is the title they've given this OS.

post #156 of 8832 Old 01-13-2005, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have to count the screens, I don't have them numbered. When I counted it was on screen 15.

While in diagnostic mode, at the bottom of the screen, it lists:
  • The current time
  • Pg X/30
  • Exit or Diamond
post #157 of 8832 Old 01-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The first way is to go to the show as it's being recorded, stop and save recording and then start a new recording of the same showwhere you came in at. Then you would watch your show in two parts. No rewinding necessary.

If you STOP & SAVE when you are less than half way through the show, and then immediately watch the 2nd part when you have completed watching the 1st part, won't you still have the same problem? (i.e. kick you back to LIVE when the 2nd part finishes recording)
post #158 of 8832 Old 01-13-2005, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If you STOP & SAVE when you are less than half way through the show, and then immediately watch the 2nd part when you have completed watching the 1st part, won't you still have the same problem? (i.e. kick you back to LIVE when the 2nd part finishes recording)

Let me clarify. You stop &save, then you immediately do a record on the show. You can then watch the part you just saved and, provided you have time enough to record the remainder of the show you would go to list and select your second recording.

Oh, btw....my software doesn't work like yours. It doesn't give page numbers or exit. You have a later version of SARA then what I have.

post #159 of 8832 Old 01-13-2005, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ShannonT
After my post I went back through the thread and tried to read most of it.

I'm a TWC customer in NC, so maybe it's something that TWC has enabled in the software. I'll try and find the version of the software I'm running when I get home.

I have a question as well: I have some of the same problems with side bars that many are complaining of. I feel it's that my unit wasn't set up properly (pass-through, output resolutions, etc.) when it was delivered, but I can't get into the setup wizard screen by pressing Info and Guide after turning the unit off. Is there something else I need to do or is it possible that TWC has disabled this option?

Passport Software is being used by TWCNC.
post #160 of 8832 Old 01-13-2005, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

HDMI is automatic correct? all you have to do is plug the HDMI cable in and it will work with an HDCP set. My friend called me and told me he couldn't get the 8300HD to turn on its HDMI port. yes the port has been activated by TWC, if you are wondering.
post #161 of 8832 Old 01-13-2005, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Let me clarify. You stop &save, then you immediately do a record on the show. You can then watch the part you just saved and, provided you have time enough to record the remainder of the show you would go to list and select your second recording.

Example:
My DVR is scheduled to record an hour long show. The recording starts automatically. After 10 minutes, I come home and want to watch the show. I turn on my TV & DVR to find the show and hit the STOP button to stop the recording while it is 10 minutes into the recording. I then immediately start another recording of the same show, which will record the last 50 minutes. I go back into the LIST and watch the 1st part of the show. After 10 minutes (or less after I fast forward through the commercials), I go into the LIST, and select the second recorded part of the show, which is now 10 minutes into recording the last 50 minutes of the hour long show. I rewind to the beginning & watch the second recording for 40 minutes and then....

Wouldn't this kick me out to LIVE TV at this point?
post #162 of 8832 Old 01-13-2005, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by miniz
HDMI is automatic correct? all you have to do is plug the HDMI cable in and it will work with an HDCP set. My friend called me and told me he couldn't get the 8300HD to turn on its HDMI port. yes the port has been activated by TWC, if you are wondering.

I'm not sure what you mean by "automatic." Will it work as soon as you plug it in? That's what mine did. I then changed the settings on the video format. Is he getting no picture at all?

post #163 of 8832 Old 01-13-2005, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

yup, no picture at all. No error messages, nothing. he is using an HDMI to DVI adapter then a dual-link DVI cable to the HDTV. DVI works, as he had the 3250HD before and it worked perfectly.
post #164 of 8832 Old 01-13-2005, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Example:
My DVR is scheduled to record an hour long show. The recording starts automatically. After 10 minutes, I come home and want to watch the show. I turn on my TV & DVR to find the show and hit the STOP button to stop the recording while it is 10 minutes into the recording. I then immediately start another recording of the same show, which will record the last 50 minutes. I go back into the LIST and watch the 1st part of the show. After 10 minutes (or less after I fast forward through the commercials), I go into the LIST, and select the second recorded part of the show, which is now 10 minutes into recording the last 50 minutes of the hour long show. I rewind to the beginning & watch the second recording for 40 minutes and then....

Wouldn't this kick me out to LIVE TV at this point?

Yes, that's why I said provided you have enough time to record the remainder of the show. So by your example you would have to do several recordings of the same show at 10 minutes per time.

Pain in the behind, but it will work. Anyway skipping through commercials you probably would get caught up live.

post #165 of 8832 Old 01-13-2005, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by miniz
yup, no picture at all. No error messages, nothing. he is using an HDMI to DVI adapter then a dual-link DVI cable to the HDTV. DVI works, as he had the 3250HD before and it worked perfectly.

You know I know someone in my area who had problems hooking up the DVI/HDMI. As a matter of fact he darn near called me a liar when I first announced in the Cleveland thread I hooked up Adelphia's SA 8300 to HDMI. I told him I had no reason to make up stories so he tried it again and it was working. (He apoligized)

Maybe some type of upgrade has to go through after you first hook up the box. If not, I'd get another box.

post #166 of 8832 Old 01-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

[/b]

That's weird. I have 1.86.11.1 here on Long Island (Cablevision), but mine is dated 9/30/04.

So my more recent version number is an older file.
post #167 of 8832 Old 01-13-2005, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

anyone???
post #168 of 8832 Old 01-13-2005, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

SA notes:
The SARA version numbers are based on specific builds from SA, and may not apply to your MSO. Some versions are created to fix specific problems on a particular network for compatibility and are not feature enhancements. This is another reason not all MSO's have the same features - There are compatibility issues that need to be worked out. The dates of applications are based on when the MSO has applied the updates to their system. This doesn't mean you got it at that time, but that it was on the system for testing at that time. Once approved, it is sent to all boxes.

Hookbill: The diagnostic screens will always have the page and other info across the bottom of the screen. It's been on SA digital STB's since about 1994. You may have an Overscan issue on your set. To compare your overscan, to normal display values, use the INFO button once to bring up information while watching a program. With 0~5% overscan across the bottom, you will see the info BAR and still be able to see the background video playing underneath the bar. If you can't see that, you can use the Guide button and use the blue square B symbol on the bottom as a reference. If you see the complete square, at the edge of your set, then your set is at about 9~10% overscaned. The diagnostic page info displayed in blue, is right at and below the symbols displayed on the Guide, and may be lost on sets with an excess of 10% overscan across the bottom.

Priority List, as described by ShannonT, is a Passport AND IPG enhanced data feature. These are features of the IPG, along with First Run Flag, Search by Keyword, and other Tivo like features that may be available. For an example of keyword search, if your system has EOD, or VOD, try the search function within that service. The software is in the box, but not compatible with the IPG server.

Also, ShannonT - To enter into your setup, you have to turn off your box. then press and hold the Guide and Info buttons at the same time from the front of your box, not the remote.

vegggas
post #169 of 8832 Old 01-13-2005, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by vegggas
Hookbill: The diagnostic screens will always have the page and other info across the bottom of the screen. It's been on SA digital STB's since about 1994. You may have an Overscan issue on your set. To compare your overscan, to normal display values, use the INFO button once to bring up information while watching a program. With 0~5% overscan across the bottom, you will see the info BAR and still be able to see the background video playing underneath the bar. If you can't see that, you can use the Guide button and use the blue square B symbol on the bottom as a reference. If you see the complete square, at the edge of your set, then your set is at about 9~10% overscaned. The diagnostic page info displayed in blue, is right at and below the symbols displayed on the Guide, and may be lost on sets with an excess of 10% overscan across the bottom.vegggas

I've got to be the most unobservant person on this planet! On top of that I can't even count. Your absolutly right, the diagnostic screen does list the pages, I don't know how I missed it. And the screen we were discussing is on page 17 not page 15.

Thanks for the info about why SARA versions go out with some units and not others. Makes lots of sense.

post #170 of 8832 Old 01-14-2005, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Originally posted by kevinivey
Passport Software is being used by TWCNC.

Yes, sorry for the confusion. I checked it last night.

The passport software I'm running has several features you guys have requested. So it's better in that respect, but it has none of the configuration features such as the setup wizard or diagnostic screen. At least according to one of the HD development techs at TWC.
post #171 of 8832 Old 01-14-2005, 08:54 AM

If I am watching a recorded show and decide to stop it and watch the rest tommorrow, the dvr does not give me an option to watch from the point where I stopped . I have to FF from the beginning. Anyone have a work around?
post #172 of 8832 Old 01-14-2005, 09:27 AM
GBL

I've had this problem once in awhile with the SA8000HD box as well: Instead of recording a show as one block, it records the show in 1 minute increments. It starts recording a 1 hour show, after one minute, it stops and restarts recording a 59 min show, after another minute it stops again and restarts a 58 minute show etc, etc.

I have it set to keep two episodes so I end up with 2 one minute long snippets of the last two minutes of the show.

I reboot seems to fix this; if I don't reboot, it keeps doing it with the next show.

Does this happen to anyone else?

TWC Minneapolis
SARA 1.85.17.9 10/20/04
post #173 of 8832 Old 01-14-2005, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How can I tell what resolution the incoming signal is, my display always reads 1080i even when not on a HD channel? I do notice that a HDTV light appears on the display of the 8300 when it is tuned to a HD cahnnel, but I'm still not sure what the signal is. If everything is 1080i then why are some HD feeds 4:3?

Also I noticed on the service menue (cant remember which page) a line that says:

HDMI-Active, or maybe its activated, cant remember. Anyway, it does not seem to work.

Any ideas?
post #174 of 8832 Old 01-14-2005, 10:43 AM

I have a problem where my box will sometimes record a show (the red "Recording" light is on) but when I go to watch it later, it's nowhere to be found. I suspect that this is related to Adelphia running 8000HD and 8300HD boxes together on not-so-up-to-date firmware, but haven't checked the version number yet. Has anyone heard of this issue before?
post #175 of 8832 Old 01-14-2005, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Kingdaddy
How can I tell what resolution the incoming signal is, my display always reads 1080i even when not on a HD channel? I do notice that a HDTV light appears on the display of the 8300 when it is tuned to a HD cahnnel, but I'm still not sure what the signal is. If everything is 1080i then why are some HD feeds 4:3?

Also I noticed on the service menue (cant remember which page) a line that says:

HDMI-Active, or maybe its activated, cant remember. Anyway, it does not seem to work.

Any ideas?

You''ll need to set your box up to receive more then just 1080i. Turn your unit off, tv set on. Press guide and info at the same time ON THE BOX. This will bring you to the set up screen. Grab your remote and follow the instructions to select your screens. You really only need 1080i, 720p, 480i, and 480p. Some will say you don't need 720p but I use it.

After you do this, exit and turn your unit on. Go to the settings and select Video Format. If your hooked up with component select pass thru. If your hooked up with HDMI select DVI/HDMI. The box will pick the proper format and display it to you on the front panel.

post #176 of 8832 Old 01-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks hookbill, must have missed that in the 8300 manual.

Anyone ever had a audio hum problem with this box? I personally think it's the cable feed but it doesn't hurt to ask.
post #177 of 8832 Old 01-14-2005, 05:05 PM

does anyone have a driver that's updated newer than 10/??/2004? (on pg17 of the diagnostic screens)
post #178 of 8832 Old 01-14-2005, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 397
kray, I'm not sure those dates mean much. I don't think they relate to the version of the drivers, but a probably the dates they were installed, downloaded, or something. Of course, I could be wrong.

Cheers, Dave
post #179 of 8832 Old 01-16-2005, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Has anyone tried recording to a DVD. It appears that DVD will record a letter box image of an HD broadcast. The letter box would need to be enlarged to fit a 16x9 screen. I miss the ability to transfer anamorphic images to a DVD like I do with the 921 DVR from Dish. I did this with setting the 921 to 480i and 16x9. I had an image "squashed from the sides so that everything looked taller. On the replay of the DVD, I used the Wide screen setting. The PQ looked as good as play back of commercial DVD in 480p play back. I tried ever setting in the set up wizzard along with the picture format in the preference section. I was unable to get an "anamorphic image" It doesn't look like it can be done. Enlarging the letter box image on playback would cause further degradation of picture quality. Too bad. Portability is a major issue. I was using the S video out.

Ray
post #180 of 8832 Old 01-18-2005, 08:16 AM

Hi guys,

I've got a KD-34XBR960 with the SA8300 and have two issues:

1) video source switch does not work. Tried a few different codes for the remote but could not get this to work.

2) "#" screen size switch wont work: this is odd. Worked after the cable company tech "installed" the box. Few days later quit on me. I still get the indication at the bottom of the screen that its cycling through the modes, but no change in the screen. Do I need to have the television set to "normal" or "full" during the initial set up for this to work? I ask because I noticed that sometimes I wouldn't even get the indication that its cylcing depending on how the screen is set through the sony remote.

Thanks for your help, this forum has been incredibly useful.
S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page