post #2041 of 8830 Old 01-31-2006, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanRiddle View Post

I wonder if it is as simple as DVR and VOD both using the same transport buttons, so it would be confusing to the user.

Also, both features let you watch shows at your convenience, and overlap somewhat in functionality. If all VOD movies were always available, there'd be no reason to record them and waste drive space.

Sean

Excellent point. I didn't think about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 8830 Old 01-31-2006, 10:31 AM

Liked: 10
I apologize if this has been covered, but if it has, I couldn't find it --

8300HD, out to VCR, my quality is good, but I have bars above/below any program that is in HD -- anyway to avoid this?

Thanks

Eric
post #2043 of 8830 Old 01-31-2006, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philherz View Post

I used to understand how to hook the basic stuff up until I bought an HDTV and it got so confusing. None of the wiring charts seemed to mimic my set-up since I have a combo VCR/DVD.

(I even have a SONY VCR/DVD and a SONY TV, but neither have a wiring diagram that included both those and a setup that shows something similar to the 8300!!??)

Anyway:

1) No firewire.....I connect the 8300 to the VCR/DVD with components.

2) I've gotten spoiled. I just record everything first and then set the 8300 to "copy to VCR."

3) Since that doesn't work for VOD, do I simply play the VOD and set the VCR to record simultaneously???

thnx

According to the manual you can record live TV directly to VCR when not using "copy to VCR" function by just hitting record on the VCR. It does note however that any remote control activities, including info banners & on-screen displays will be recorded to the VCR tape!

Kevin
post #2044 of 8830 Old 01-31-2006, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by etaylor3971 View Post

I apologize if this has been covered, but if it has, I couldn't find it --

8300HD, out to VCR, my quality is good, but I have bars above/below any program that is in HD -- anyway to avoid this?

Thanks

Eric

In short: NO.

Welcome to the shape of TV of the future.

Dave Hancock
post #2045 of 8830 Old 01-31-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieTheater View Post

According to the manual you can record live TV directly to VCR when not using "copy to VCR" function by just hitting record on the VCR. It does note however that any remote control activities, including info banners & on-screen displays will be recorded to the VCR tape!

Kevin

It's not quite as convenient as recording on the 8300 & then going to the VCR, but it's better than nothing.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!

DirecTV Amherst, NY
post #2046 of 8830 Old 01-31-2006, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieTheater View Post

According to the manual you can record live TV directly to VCR when not using "copy to VCR" function by just hitting record on the VCR. It does note however that any remote control activities, including info banners & on-screen displays will be recorded to the VCR tape! Kevin

Thanks Kevin. 2,000 posts and yours is one of about 3 I can actually use.

ISF calibrated by Eliab - and lovin' it!

My DVD Profiler
post #2047 of 8830 Old 01-31-2006, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hask View Post

Except that shows are constantly being added and/or deleted. If there is a movie that is available on demand today, but I won't have time to watch it until next week, I would want to save it now as it may be gone by next week.

Hask

They are usually shown for weeks if not a month so the arguement about storing it on the last showing doesn't hold much weight with the powers that be.

PVRs are not made for long term archieving of data....they are meant for time shifting.
post #2048 of 8830 Old 02-02-2006, 07:23 PM

Well..the sound on my 8300HD just suddenly stopped working. I heard a slight click while watching a DVR program and sound cut out. Tried shutting it off and on and still no sound. Tried connecting through component and still no sound but the sound on the TV works trhough DVD so I know its not the TV.

Any suggestions?
post #2049 of 8830 Old 02-02-2006, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Try a hard reboot (unplug power cord, then press and hold power button while plugging power cord back in until display says Boot or begins cycling).

Cheers, Dave
post #2050 of 8830 Old 02-02-2006, 07:48 PM

Hmm, thats kind of hard to do because my power cord is plugged in on the opposite side of the wall in the closet..I will have to wait till tomorrow to get someone to help me out with that.

I tried unplugging it for a minute and that did not fix anything.
post #2051 of 8830 Old 02-02-2006, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just unplug it from the back of the 8300. It's easy enough to do a hard reboot with 2 hands.

Also, did you try any of the other audio connections; L-R, optical, coax?

The hard reboot with reset the 8300 internals, clear the cache, reload the software and IPG. Hopefully something is just stuck software-wise. If not, sounds (no pun intended) like you may need to replace the box.

Cheers, Dave
post #2052 of 8830 Old 02-02-2006, 07:55 PM

Will a hard reboot erase all my recorded shows?
post #2053 of 8830 Old 02-02-2006, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It shouldn't, never has mine. Some folks do a hard reboot once a month or so. Like a PC, the 8300 can be prone to similar ills and things need to be reset from time to time.

Cheers, Dave
post #2054 of 8830 Old 02-02-2006, 08:09 PM

Nope. Did not work. thanks for you help..I will play around with it some more tomorrow and if I can't get it fixed I'll have to pick up a new box. What sucks is I still had a few shows that I recorded and didnt get to watch.
post #2055 of 8830 Old 02-03-2006, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

It shouldn't, never has mine. Some folks do a hard reboot once a month or so. Like a PC, the 8300 can be prone to similar ills and things need to be reset from time to time.

my box was not putting out sound last night and i rebooted and got sound back. speaking of that, i have to reboot once a week with my sara box (my passport about every 3 months) is this unusual? sometimes because of a blank screen sometimes i just get part of a blank screen and part of the on screen menu.

last night i tried to watch wednesday nights jon stewart and it said that the recording was their (in my dvr list) but when i pressed select it tuned to the dvr channel and i just got a message telling me to go back to the recorded show list. i tried playing tuesdays jon stewart and other recorded shows and they worked perfectly.
post #2056 of 8830 Old 02-03-2006, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Rebooting once a week is unusual. Even HAVING to reboot every 3 months is unusual IMHO. I don't reboot at all unless something quits working right. The last time, about 6 months ago, I couldn't schedule a recording because it kept saying there was a conflict, even though the conflict only displayed 2 programs. There was obviously a 3rd one in the quethat simply wasn't being displayed and the reboot took care of the conflict.

Not sure what happened with the Jon Stewart recording. How is it that you have 2 boxes, one with SARA and one with Passport?

Cheers, Dave
post #2057 of 8830 Old 02-03-2006, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmakVR6 View Post

What sucks is I still had a few shows that I recorded and didnt get to watch.

Yeah, that does suck. You could always do the Closed Caption thing, but if they are sitcoms, that kind of doesn't cut it, does it?

I take it you didn't get a chance to connect to the other audio ports to see if it's just the HDMI port. The only other things I can think of trying would be the General Settings/Audio: Digital Out, Range, or Volume Ctrl options to see if one of those got set wrong somehow, though I don't know that any of the options would drop audio altogether.

Cheers, Dave
post #2058 of 8830 Old 02-03-2006, 06:07 AM

Quote:

Rebooting once a week is unusual. Even HAVING to reboot every 3 months is unusual IMHO. I don't reboot at all unless something quits working right. The last time, about 6 months ago, I couldn't schedule a recording because it kept saying there was a conflict, even though the conflict only displayed 2 programs. There was obviously a 3rd one in the quethat simply wasn't being displayed and the reboot took care of the conflict.

Not sure what happened with the Jon Stewart recording. How is it that you have 2 boxes, one with SARA and one with Passport?

so i have some kind of problem with signal strenghth or my boxes.

in answer to your question have cablevision in east hampton:sara (sucks) and time warner in Manhatten which is passport (much, much better, in my opinion). i hear direct tv is going to a leasing model (no up front cost).
post #2059 of 8830 Old 02-03-2006, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Once a week. Ouch. On the opposite end of the spectrum... I have NEVER had to reboot my SARA based 8300HD. I've had it since they first came out here. Not sure how long ago that was. Maybe 2 years now? Has it been that long?

Marketing Professor
Music, then Movies...
post #2060 of 8830 Old 02-03-2006, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketingProf View Post

Once a week. Ouch. On the opposite end of the spectrum... I have NEVER had to reboot my SARA based 8300HD. I've had it since they first came out here. Not sure how long ago that was. Maybe 2 years now? Has it been that long?

ok i'll call cablevision (that will be fun)
post #2061 of 8830 Old 02-03-2006, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilk2350 View Post

ok i'll call cablevision (that will be fun)

had a fascinating chat with cablevision about my reboot problems they claim that box must be off at night. if it isn't and they push upgrade i will have problems the next day. is this true? if yes it's the first time i'm hearing this
post #2062 of 8830 Old 02-03-2006, 10:32 AM

How do I fix this recording issue:

A few weeks ago ABC showed the first episode (and I believe the only episode shown so far) of Emily's Reasons Why Not. Prior to its airing I selected it in the IPG and set it to record all first-run episodes on that channel at any time.

Since then, for the last 2 weeks it has recorded another show that was on in the same time slot and put it in the recorded programs list labeled as Emily's Reasons Why Not when in fact another show was recorded. In both cases, prior to recording, the recorded show appeared red in the IPG. In fact, last week Lost appeared red AND when I tried to cancel Lost, it asked me if I wanted to cancel all recordings of Emily's Reasons Why Not!

Steve Rothkin

Running SA8300HD (but itching to replace it with Tivo S3) on Cablevision Northern Westchester system.
Sara version (as of Jan 22, 2006): 1.88.15.3.
post #2063 of 8830 Old 02-03-2006, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilk2350 View Post

had a fascinating chat with cablevision about my reboot problems they claim that box must be off at night. if it isn't and they push upgrade i will have problems the next day. is this true? if yes it's the first time i'm hearing this

The probability of having problems after update is raised when the STB is on during update. Turning off the STB allows for full use of the cleared memory for getting the update. Set up a timer in your STB to turn off each night, and then back on in the morning if you think it's a problem.

srothkin,
Delete your season pass for that show. It was cancelled immediately and there are no more shows scheduled for airing. The STB will try to reserve that space based on how you set to record, which was supposedly going to be weekly series, but is pre-empted each week for alternative programming.

vegggas
post #2064 of 8830 Old 02-03-2006, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I've owned my 8300HD for more than 18 months and have never rebooted it.
post #2065 of 8830 Old 02-03-2006, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jim,

I consider myself one of the luckier 8300 users with few problems (which seems to aggravate some folks here ), but I see you are even luckier. I've only had to reboot the one time and it was probably more due to IPG problems than the 8300 itself. IMHO, many 8300-related problems are actually due to cableco/IPG problems. I did reboot a couple ofother times, but that was only to test something for someone.

Neil,

I should have thought of multiple locations, sorry for the question.

FWIW, I turn my 8300 off every time I turn the TV off. There used to be an auto-shutdown to minmize update problems, but I think many cableco's have turned that option off.

Cheers, Dave
post #2066 of 8830 Old 02-03-2006, 04:20 PM

Quote:

Jim,

Neil,

I should have thought of multiple locations, sorry for the question.

FWIW, I turn my 8300 off every time I turn the TV off. There used to be an auto-shutdown to minmize update problems, but I think many cableco's have turned that option off.

i was browsing Hi-def pay per view options and when i tried to return to the guide i could not change the channel and a few seconds later i would get the hi-def ppv menu again. tried it a bunch of times before i unplugged the darn thing.

ps you can set a timer to shut the thing down at 2 am and back on at 6 am (i have kids no shot at them turning it off themselves)
post #2067 of 8830 Old 02-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Anyone ever have problems with the audio and videoon HD channels sort of stuttering, like multiple, really fast audio drop outs? It has happened a few times the last few days on the HD channels, when I switch to SD channels it's fine though. Then I checked the same HD channels over my tuner in the TV and they were fine, so it had to be the box.
post #2068 of 8830 Old 02-03-2006, 06:53 PM

So the caption option does work so I will watch the two shows I need to with captions and no sound then go tomorrow to swap out the box for a new one..

I have also experienced the audio and video "cut-outs" that you are describing so hopefully a new box will stop this too.
post #2069 of 8830 Old 02-03-2006, 08:42 PM

Does anybody know the latest version of SARA. Im at 1.87.27.1 w/. Cox in the Cleveland, OH area.
post #2070 of 8830 Old 02-04-2006, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Barney1,
You're chasing rainbows when you persue a SARA version. The version you have is the servion released for your cable system. There are a lot of variations from area to area. You are right to persue the best feature list you can learn about and legitimately hound your cableco for a feature like start from beggining on a program still recording instead of rewinding from the live point. But telling your cableco you want version x.xx.x.x is futile, it probably isn't even made available to them because it is designed for another locations specifications.

TerryB
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page