Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Spank
Hi guys,

I've got a KD-34XBR960 with the SA8300 and have two issues:

1) video source switch does not work. Tried a few different codes for the remote but could not get this to work.

2) "#" screen size switch wont work: this is odd. Worked after the cable company tech "installed" the box. Few days later quit on me. I still get the indication at the bottom of the screen that its cycling through the modes, but no change in the screen. Do I need to have the television set to "normal" or "full" during the initial set up for this to work? I ask because I noticed that sometimes I wouldn't even get the indication that its cylcing depending on how the screen is set through the sony remote.

Thanks for your help, this forum has been incredibly useful.
S.

In your instructions that you got with your remote there is a way to auto set your remote so it will work with your TV. I'm assuming this is a new model Sony so one of the codes should work.

I assume your talking about the aspect ratio key. The only reason that I can think of why this wouldn't work is if you reprogramed it somehow. Now believe it or not I think the numnuts at Adelphia know how to reset your remote so enjoy the experience of calling them and see if they can help.

Also you can change screen size by pressing settings and scrolling to the screen size bar.

Keep in mind that your Sony picture will not change aspects while in HD. It goes to full screen and you cannot change that through your Sony remote. You can do it with your regular remote.

In your intital settings you should have your screen on normal. But it really won't make much difference because once you get to the 720p or 1080i screen Sony will automatically go to full.

MY NAME IS NOT BILL (but you can call me hook)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 8830 Old 01-18-2005, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the quick reply hookbill

To clarify a bit:

the sa8300 remote works for all other functions except the screen aspect ratio and video source switching. I've tried a few of the other codes in the remote manual and they don't work...

Quote:
Also you can change screen size by pressing settings and scrolling to the screen size bar.

Yeah I tried that and it won't work in there either.

Quote:
Keep in mind that your Sony picture will not change aspects while in HD. It goes to full screen and you cannot change that through your Sony remote. You can do it with your regular remote.

This has me a little confused - I can change aspects (with the sony remote) in HD and SD without a problem....
post #183 of 8830 Old 01-18-2005, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

The cable company in my area says they are expecting a firmware update from SA next week to fix the HDMI issue. After some questioning they tell me that all the updates come from SA and they have no control over them, so all software issues according to Charter cable here in Fort Worth is controlled by SA. I was able to get the hum out with a very expensive aviation hum buster (bandpass filter). Still can't and won't be able to get CBS in HD here because of some local politics and bad blood between Charter's CEO and the Local CBS affiliate. Can I just hook up an antenna?

Are the HD (cable company) feeds compressed like Satellite?
post #184 of 8830 Old 01-18-2005, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

spank,
It sounds like you are not viewing the STB through the HD inputs of the TV.
Quote:
2) "#" screen size switch wont work: this is odd. Worked after the cable company tech "installed" the box. Few days later quit on me. I still get the indication at the bottom of the screen that its cycling through the modes, but no change in the screen. Do I need to have the television set to "normal" or "full" during the initial set up for this to work? I ask because I noticed that sometimes I wouldn't even get the indication that its cylcing depending on how the screen is set through the sony remote.

This happens when you are viewing RF, composite, or s-video downconversions.

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This has me a little confused - I can change aspects (with the sony remote) in HD and SD without a problem....

The Sony will not change aspect ratio when fed an HD signal on an HD input. This seems to further point that you are not using the HD inputs of the TV.

vegggas
post #185 of 8830 Old 01-18-2005, 11:11 AM

Hey Veggas

I may be responsible for the confusion here - perhaps I'm not using the correct terms...

1) I'm 99% certain that the stb is hooked up to the television through component inputs - I haven't gone back around and checked but the installer asked if it was ok to remove the dvd player which was setup through the component inputs. I will double check this evening.

2) I'm using "screen size" and "aspect ratio" interchangeabley when I probably shouldn't. When I said that I can change the aspect of the sony in hd and sd I meant screen size. (normal, full, zoom, wide zoom). I can see now that aspect ratio probably means 4:3 and 16:9. My mistake. If so I have not tried to change that...

3) If I'm not using hd inputs on the tv than I'm pretty impressed with picture quality so far!!

4) So this kinda leaves me where I started ...no video source control and no "screen size" control on the SA remote. I will try and resolve with my cable company and post the results...
post #186 of 8830 Old 01-18-2005, 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Spank
4) So this kinda leaves me where I started ...no video source control and no "screen size" control on the SA remote. I will try and resolve with my cable company and post the results... [/b]

Sorry I can't help you on the screen size control. That should work.

However, the video source button on the remote will NOT change the video source on your TV. It is a reserved button for future use - my guess would be that you could somehow select the video inputs on the front of the box (when and if they are ever activated) with this button. This is pure speculation though.

On the 8000 and 8300 remotes there is no "video source" button that controls the video source TV. There was one on the 3100 and 3250 box remotes, which I previously had.

Because of this and other shortfalls of the new remote, I have been looking into getting one of the Harmony remotes or another universal remote that can control both the PVR and TV better than the one supplied with the 8300. If anyone is using a Harmony or other remote with the 8300 I would sure like to know the model # and how it is working out. I tried contacting Harmony technical support to see which (if any) of their remotes would control the PVR and other functions of the 8300, but they have not answered back....

Keith
post #187 of 8830 Old 01-18-2005, 01:34 PM

I have a Harmony 676 and it works great with the 8300HD. I actually got the remote when I had an 8000HD and there has been no need to change the codes. The remote was very simple to set up, easy to use, and easy to tweak.
post #188 of 8830 Old 01-18-2005, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I use the Harmony 688. It is designed for PVRs and works great for me. I had to program the LCD buttons for LIST, A, B, and C, otherwise it has FF, REW, Pause, Stop, Play, etc. I also reprogrammed some other buttons for Replay, Settings, Favorites, etc., so that I wouldn't have to use the LCD much. The only time I use the LCD now is if I want to do something special with any of my equipment that the main buttons are not set for.

The remote lists for $250, but I paid $150 and change for it at newegg.com and am very satisfied. One caveat about Newegg. They will only let you return for exchange, so you need to be sure you want it before you buy from them.

Some folks don't like the Harmony series because you have to have an internet connection to program it. The process is pretty painless, though updating the remote on a dialup connect might take a while. On broadband, it is quick enough. You can make all your changes and then connect the remote to make the updates, really pretty easy but not for everyone.

Cheers, Dave
post #189 of 8830 Old 01-18-2005, 07:37 PM

I got my 676 from newegg. Great company. The one thing I like about the 676 for an SA box is that it has hard "A" and "B" buttons. I programmed the "Prev" button as "C" and the setup works well. I'm gonna stop talking about remotes now as we're getting kinda off topic.
post #190 of 8830 Old 01-18-2005, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the info.....

I didn't mean to get off topic with talking about remotes.....
I was already planning on getting one of the Harmony's from Newegg, and they don't allow for returns so I did want to make sure they would work with this particular box. Now that I know that these two models will work I will feel alot more secure in my purchase.....

Keith
post #191 of 8830 Old 01-19-2005, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, looks like many of us in Cablevision-land got our first run flag today.

That's pretty nice.

No other apparent changes, no new SARA or any other updated software on the box, but it's a start.
post #192 of 8830 Old 01-19-2005, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by lexluthor
Well, looks like many of us in Cablevision-land got our first run flag today.

That's pretty nice.

No other apparent changes, no new SARA or any other updated software on the box, but it's a start.

Interesting. When I got up this morning I noticed the box had rebooted. I did get an update from SARA 1.85.14.2 to 1.85.17.3.

I have no idea at this point what this update did. This is Adelphia Cable in Cleveland area.

post #193 of 8830 Old 01-19-2005, 08:43 AM

Wow, Adelphia in Cleveland is much nicer to you guys than it is here. I checked my SARA version a couple of days ago and it was only 1.85.8.3!
post #194 of 8830 Old 01-19-2005, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bohbot16
Wow, Adelphia in Cleveland is much nicer to you guys than it is here. I checked my SARA version a couple of days ago and it was only 1.85.8.3!

lol....no, they are not exactly nice guys.....The version they issue is whatever is compatible to their system. Since most of these cable companies "inherit" systems from other companies who's to say what is compatible where. I've seen higher versions then mine in other threads, including this one. And I've noticed that some of those versions can't do everything my older version did.

post #195 of 8830 Old 01-19-2005, 10:26 AM

I'm just moving from Dishnet to Cable (Adelphia) and am learning how to use the 8300HD. However, I currently still have a Dish 921 PVR which is being returned, and have two 508PVRs and one 510 PVR. They are NOT Tivo's. However, they have the ability to enter the entire title name, or parts of it, and then it searches through the next 7 days to find all matches. Not that difficult. Though I'm happy about some of the stuff with the 8300, this search is absolutely worthless on the 8300. What kind of crack were the SA engineers smoking when they designed this feature? As an engineer, I'm amazed at the poor design!

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Boden
I definitely agree the title search function is completely lame, but it's better than nothing. Since we don't have Tivo in Canada, I can only imagine how much better it could be.

post #196 of 8830 Old 01-19-2005, 11:21 AM

I just got my 8300HD, was using a Tivo Series2. While I like now having 2 tuners and HD recording, I agree, the designers must have been totally ignorant of good user interface design.

In addition to lack of search features, the FF appears to be very sensitive. Many times when I press it, the marker advances without the picture in sync - VERY frustrating. I was also just had my 1st experience with the "kick-out" bug during playback while recording. Hope we see some improvements soon.
post #197 of 8830 Old 01-19-2005, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Rod Rebello
IIn addition to lack of search features, the FF appears to be very sensitive. Many times when I press it, the marker advances without the picture in sync - VERY frustrating. I was also just had my 1st experience with the "kick-out" bug during playback while recording. Hope we see some improvements soon.

I agree about the FF. I hope the upgrade I got today fixed that. I haven't really had time to figure out what differences it has between this version of SARA and my old.

Just curious Rod...Why not go satallite and get a D-Tivo. 2 tuners and you don't loose any of the features....except HMO.

post #198 of 8830 Old 01-19-2005, 01:15 PM

I can answer at least part of that. The DirecTV Tivo's cost $1000 cash. Plus, there's a good bit less HD content (including no HD locals for most of us) on Direct. Dishnet is even worse.

I also should have mentioned that the FF sucks, as does getting kicked out during playback when recording stops. Very poor UI design.

Quote:

Originally posted by hookbill
I agree about the FF. I hope the upgrade I got today fixed that. I haven't really had time to figure out what differences it has between this version of SARA and my old.

Just curious Rod...Why not go satallite and get a D-Tivo. 2 tuners and you don't loose any of the features....except HMO.

post #199 of 8830 Old 01-20-2005, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I just got a new Beta software build (not just an updated revision) to test from the cable company... The 8300 was treating me well without many, if any problems. I will have to get back to my contact and see what specific changes were made and what I'm allowed to say.
First impression is that it appears more refined and smoother in the UI screens and control. The previous build, seemed more like just an improvement over the 8000 with a few new features, but almost the same interface and control (like the 8000 was the base code modified for the new box). This new build seems more like a build made specifically just for this hardware.
quick notes. The frozen image glitch while FF and Rew is completely gone, and the currently recording shows in the List are now highlighted the same way as the guide would show.

More details during/after the weekend and some much needed rest.
Sorry to be so vague right now, but it may only be a temporary test...

vegggas
post #200 of 8830 Old 01-20-2005, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by vegggas
quick notes. The frozen image glitch while FF and Rew is completely gone, and the currently recording shows in the List are now highlighted the same way as the guide would show.

The only thing I noticed about my SARA upgrade is that the frozen image glitch is now gone. I tested it several times last night, not once did it freeze up.

To the best of my knowledge, SARA 1.85.17.3 is not exclusive to my area, and of course it's not a beta test (at least I don't think so).

post #201 of 8830 Old 01-20-2005, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by miniz
yup, no picture at all. No error messages, nothing. he is using an HDMI to DVI adapter then a dual-link DVI cable to the HDTV. DVI works, as he had the 3250HD before and it worked perfectly.

I'm having the same problem. DVI-HDMI from 4200HD worked fine. Now 8300 HDMI-HDMI does not work.

What display is your friend using? Maybe it is vendor specific problem.
post #202 of 8830 Old 01-20-2005, 11:06 AM

Quote:

I just got a new Beta software build (not just an updated revision) to test from the cable company... The 8300 was treating me well without many, if any problems. I will have to get back to my contact and see what specific changes were made and what I'm allowed to say.
First impression is that it appears more refined and smoother in the UI screens and control. The previous build, seemed more like just an improvement over the 8000 with a few new features, but almost the same interface and control (like the 8000 was the base code modified for the new box). This new build seems more like a build made specifically just for this hardware.

More details during/after the weekend and some much needed rest.
Sorry to be so vague right now, but it may only be a temporary test...

vegggas

You have me excited that some of these issues are going to be fixed. The biggest one in my book is being kicked out to live tv when a recording ends, and not being able to start a recording from the beginning when its in progress recording. Do you know if these have been addressed...come on, what can you tell us?

DN
post #203 of 8830 Old 01-20-2005, 01:49 PM

I noticed some different strange behavior on the 8300HD last night. I have the 8300HD through Cablevision.

While trying to record 2 shows at once last night, I couldn't get one of the channels to record at all. Instead, it was recording 1 HD channel (that I had set up) and 1 SD channel (that I had not setup). When I tried to cancel the SD channel, the 'yes' button wouldn't work. Also, this SD recording was not showing up in the recording list (King of Queens was recording, but it was not in the list). After a few minutes of frustration, I looked at the list of weekly recordings I had set up. There were a few in the list that were series that were no longer on (i.e. Survivor). The recording settings for those old scheduled recordings matched the time and channel of the mystery SD channel that was currently recording (got that?). It looks like the system got confused and was applying the old scheduled recording even though the names didn't match in the guide. I did find a new "Survivor" recording in the list, but it was marked with a time of -59 minutes and clicking on it led to a black screen.

I eventually got it worked out (after missing 15 minutes of the show I wanted). The moral of the story is to clean out old scheduled recordings for shows that are no longer on. It looks like the 8300HD can get flaky if they are still on the list (even though they shouldn't affect new recordings).
post #204 of 8830 Old 01-21-2005, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only thing I noticed about my SARA upgrade is that the frozen image glitch is now gone. I tested it several times last night, not once did it freeze up.
To the best of my knowledge, SARA 1.85.17.3 is not exclusive to my area, and of course it's not a beta test (at least I don't think so).

hookbill, I have a non public beta test build that is Light Years beyond that revision... In fact, it's way beyond the 1.85.x range. It's a new build, not a revision upgrade. I have to do some specific testing and provide feedback before it can be released on my local system. Unfortunately, I won't have time until this weekend. It looks like most of the changes are copy protection, add on storage, and HD notification related.

jonnyb,
That's very good advice and makes a lot of sense. It has also happened to me on the 8000. I think Dave should post a summary at the start of the thread as another tip.

vegggas
post #205 of 8830 Old 01-21-2005, 04:38 AM

Hi!
I have an 8300HD connected via an HDMI/DVI cable to my new Vizio plasma and find that while watching HD the picture "jumps" every few minutes or so from dropping some frames. It is very quick but bothers me each time that it happens.

Is this a common problem using the HDMI output of the 8300? I suspect that the 8300 can't keep up with the required processing. I haven't tested it with component cables yet so i don't know if it happens then as well...

Will the new beta release address this as well??

Thanks for your help from a newbie to the forum (and I apologize if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it in my searching).

Marc
post #206 of 8830 Old 01-21-2005, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hookbill, I have a non public beta test build that is Light Years beyond that revision... In fact, it's way beyond the 1.85.x range. It's a new build, not a revision upgrade. I have to do some specific testing and provide feedback before it can be released on my local system. Unfortunately, I won't have time until this weekend. It looks like most of the changes are copy protection, add on storage, and HD notification related.
vegggas

I understand. I'm just happy that the freezing ff is fixed with my latest download.

What would really make me happy is to hear you report that they are making improvements on the search feature, which imho is basically useless as it available now.

post #207 of 8830 Old 01-21-2005, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

jonnyb,
That's very good advice and makes a lot of sense. It has also happened to me on the 8000. I think Dave should post a summary at the start of the thread as another tip.

vegggas

Done!

BTW. If anyone ever wants something specific added to the first post, simply let me know. Many items posted here appear to be single anamolies and generally won't get added unless there are multiple posts cofirming the problem, workaround, tip, etc.

Cheers, Dave
post #208 of 8830 Old 01-21-2005, 07:59 AM

Cox Cable told me that the SA 8300HD would do everything my TIVO would, including move media to my computer via their firewire plug. I just spent $120 on rendering software and a 30ft firewire cable...just to find out that the firewire port is disabled.

A tech-rep mgr at Cox seems to think there's software "out there" that I can download and apply to my box to enable the port. I'm familiar with Firmware updates, so if you know of where I can get my mits on this, I'd be greatly appreaciative.

tks
mike

Ps, is it true that data on the drive is scrambled? that would just be cruel.
post #209 of 8830 Old 01-21-2005, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by cgyn
Cox Cable told me that the SA 8300HD would do everything my TIVO would, including move media to my computer via their firewire plug. I just spent $120 on rendering software and a 30ft firewire cable...just to find out that the firewire port is disabled.

A tech-rep mgr at Cox seems to think there's software "out there" that I can download and apply to my box to enable the port. I'm familiar with Firmware updates, so if you know of where I can get my mits on this, I'd be greatly appreaciative.

Veggas can probably confirm what I'm about to suggest, but all updates have to come from the cable company. That was what I was told when I contacted SA about how updates were done. The reason for this, as discussed in previous posts is the software has to confirm to the cable companies equipment.

As far as doing everything a TiVo will do. Pardon me while I just sit around and laugh.

I have learned that 95% of what comes out of cable techs mouths is not true. Most of the time they just want to come in your house and get you off their list of things to do. I had to show the one who installed my 8000 when I first got it how to do the set up, he couldn't get it to work. While he was fooling around I went on line to SA's site and got directions.

post #210 of 8830 Old 01-21-2005, 10:23 AM

Thanks Hookbill, makes sense to me. The tech rep at Cox was trying to get me to beliieve that there's a driver on the web that I could load myself, to enable those ports. I asked him "how can I load a driver, through a port that's disabled...the only live port on your box is cable jack?"

Alright, so what I'm hearing here is that TIVO is a more powerful medium...is that correct? I know that they, indeed, are releasing a program that will enable me to dump programming to my computer (via a wireless USB adapter - thru my network), by the end of this month. The only down side is that their boxes won't record HD programming...dang!! Any other Strong recommendations? I'm new to this DVR stuff.

tks again,
mike
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page