AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That is great news on the decoder.

Don said,
Quote:
I don't want to fiddle with the repair of a deck like that SLHF. It just isn't worth the time to fix something that has no use or value to me or anyone else.
I have an interest in the Beta decks and a talent for repairing these. I'd be happy to take them off your hands, pay for shipping, do your tape transfers using my EDV7500 and not charge you in exchange for the broken decks. You supply the source and destination tapes though. Wanna get rid of those decks?

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 04-20-2000, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Well, I might send you the better of the two as I know you arn't going to want to mess with the other one. I don't even know why I still have it but it is down in the storage shed, rusting away with lots of other junk I have collected over the years and refuse to throw away, like my 1965 vintage ham gear rusting away! LOL The good one That is repairable is in a plastic bag here in my air conditioned tape store room.

------------------
Don Landis
NEW! Home Theater Pics at:www.scubatech.com updated 3/12/00
post #33 of 52 Old 04-20-2000, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I could use the parts from the tape path from one or the head disc from the other. If it's not smashed into bits, it could very well yield usefull parts even if not stored in a friendly environment.

Don't worry about sending junque- I have a 4000 sqft x 2 story warehouse to put it all my stuff in at my R&D center. I think my oldest "still working" item is a Precision model ES520 Oscilloscope from the 50s that was recently refitted with new capacitors.

Richard Adams
post #34 of 52 Old 04-20-2000, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Don and Richard,
I recently sold an SL-HF1000 on ebay for around $800. They remain very much in demand...

"Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not an engineer."
post #35 of 52 Old 04-20-2000, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm... Seems Don re-posted the same message. I wonder if he's tired and didn't want to retype a different reply when he already set forth his position, or what ?

Don- my hopes would be that since parts are no longer available, out of the two units I might be able to come up with one good one.

tmitchmd- sheesh! Now don't you think I know what they're going for on ebay! Now why'd you have to go and tell Don. He was under the impression they weren't worth anything. But I suppose when you consider that neither one plays tapes, well you know what I mean...

Richard Adams
post #36 of 52 Old 04-20-2000, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

>>Hmmm... Seems Don re-posted the same message.

Have you ever noticed that AVscienve forum will come to a screaching hault sometimes? Then I get this 430 error as it times out. When that happens I sometimes loose track of a post and it either double posts or I think it gets lost and I try to retype from memory what I said, then, like tonight it shows up twice. Well, I just deleted one of the posts.

I got the one machine out and it is in pretty good shape. As I said, just forget about the other, It looks like it came from the local dump. I should have never gone down there because my wife followed and started to nag, "When are you going to get rid of that pile..." Yet she hords tons of old clothing patterns and buttons etc and she doesn't even sew anymore. Well at least her buttons and patterns don't rust.

Anyway, I'll get things rolling this weekend and see about ordering you some tape. Got to take inventory of those old tapes.

------------------
Don Landis
post #37 of 52 Old 04-20-2000, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

>>I recently sold an SL-HF1000 on ebay for around $800. They remain very much in demand...

I have just one question? Why?

I do supose, like Richard said, they need to work. I have a Sony R5U too. I scrapped the line cord off it and was going to salvage the feet for another VCR. BTY, it is totally worn out too. Interested? Saw that down there in the storage shed but it was only there for a year so it's in not to bad shape.

Richard: Maybe you need to send a truck here and clean out that shed. You'd be in shed heaven. Interested in any dive gear? I have an AGA full face mask, two tekna scooters, a full blown Nikonos 5 kit with 15mm wide angle lens, 28mm lens.... now this stuff is not junk. Maybe I should unload that on e-bay. Hmmmm.. Pay for that ac decoder fix. Thanks for the ideas guys. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Don Landis
post #38 of 52 Old 04-20-2000, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

Silly question: To help finance my HD setup of course!

Also I have an SL-HF2100 which is quite a bit more versatile except for the editing features which I didn't really need.

post #39 of 52 Old 04-21-2000, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Nooooo, I meant why would anyone want an old VCR like a SLHF1000 and be willing to pay $800 for it. I don't think they cost much more when new.

------------------
Don Landis
post #40 of 52 Old 04-21-2000, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Don Landis asked,
Quote:
I meant why would anyone want an old VCR like a SLHF1000 and be willing to pay $800 for it. I don't think they cost much more when new.
Probably to play their old tapes and copy them onto DV, just like you'd like to do.

Being able to play archived tapes for many people may allow them to enjoy treasures with immeasurable value.

Those of us that supported the Beta format have been left out in the cold as far as service parts to keep them running.

The high end machines still running keep their value and may even experience and increase in value. These machines include the 2100, the 9500, the 1000 and the 900. Oddly even though the 7500 has superior performance and a more reliable tape path, it doesn't experience the same demand as the 9500 that has the built in edit controller.

Using EDBeta for editing in today's NLE age would be silly.

Even if I finished copying my all my betamax tapes onto DV, I'd still want to have a machine around to play them just in case... so long as it wasn't outrageous to keep it running like a Betacam SP.

If you made it down this far in my rant Don, is the cleaner machine the one with the bad tape path or the one with the bad head?

Richard Adams
post #41 of 52 Old 04-21-2000, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

It is the machine with the bad head. When the tapes play on it there is lots of flashing chroma and a noise bar through the center of the picture. As I recall when I examined the heads on it they had hardly any tape penetration as if worn down to the drum surface. The other machine was the first one I bought and used it with the 900 for about a year. It started "eating" tapes and and I pulled it from service, keeping the newer one for a source playback for those masters until it developed the head problem. When I scrapped the first machine that is in the junk heap, I was in the process of replacing the entire edit system with the Type 5 3/4U. I did dub several of the beta 1 masters to 3/4U but not all. It got to a point that I needed to "sand" the heads almost every time I played a tape. Wet cleaning didn't help much.

Anyway, you are refreshing many memories from my early days when I did mostly amateur underwater video.

I'm going to be off line today as I need to work on my proxy server. I'll be back in here tonight if all goes well. (I need to install a different C hard drive for dos 5.0 to run 3D Studio 4.0 to do an animation with an IPAS module special effects that only exists in that version. ) That 3D Studio only runs properly on the proxy server which is my only simple pentium left.

------------------
Don Landis
post #42 of 52 Old 04-21-2000, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I've repaired betamax tape path problems that cause tapes to get eaten. It's no big deal.

...AnywayI believe that the junk heap machine may yield a good head disk or other parts that would be useful to the goal of taking two broken machines, applying countless hours of repair, and resulting in a reliable working unit as the end product.

Sometimes the junk heap is the only source for parts when manufacturers stop supporting products. Can you imagine the ruckus if car manufacturers did what Sony does in orphaning their products after a handful of years?

Richard Adams
post #43 of 52 Old 04-22-2000, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Continued report on my DVHS audio dropouts.

After recording 4 movies and watching them all I only experienced one dropout and this was on the inbound side because I just happened to be watching at the time it happened. It was near the beginning of Analyze This.
The only bad news is that I wanted to record Clifhanger last night and forgot to set my timer and I also fell asleep. Woke up during the credits; missed the whole thing! Too much Chinese food I guess. Anyway, does anyone know when it will be on again? I tried to go forward on the DishNetwork guide but it is so slow, I'll probably be there before I get there on the giude.

------------------
Don Landis
post #44 of 52 Old 04-22-2000, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

As a benchmark, I have access to a wholesale source that sells the Panasonic DF-300 (msrp $14.95) at $6.99 ea. & the Maxell DF-300 (msrp $19.95) for $8.49 ea.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #45 of 52 Old 04-22-2000, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

That 6.99 is the best price I've seen so far.

I just paid 8.50 for the 300 and 18.00 for the 420. Got enough to hold me for awhile. I do want to try some SVHS again now that my decoder has resolved the dropouts on the DD5.1.

------------------
Don Landis
post #46 of 52 Old 04-22-2000, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Welcome Ken,
Where can the rest of us access those great tape prices?

post #47 of 52 Old 04-22-2000, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Whoa! The thread got back on topic. OMG

Can I buy some DF300s at those prices?
How about a price on the 420 ?

Richard Adams
post #48 of 52 Old 04-24-2000, 07:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The source is a wholesale distributor. Unless you have a federal tax ID number, no dice.

I could offer to do a group thing, but didn't I read that it's no longer allowed here?

Perhaps at the egroups pvh1000?

Anyway, they did not have a price for the 420, but I suppose we might get them to special order them, if we ordered enough.

------------------
"better living thru modern expensive electronics"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #49 of 52 Old 04-25-2000, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a Federal Tax Id number and also a state resale tax number, so lay the info on me. Use e-mail if you want...

Richard Adams
post #50 of 52 Old 04-25-2000, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Richard:

There are tons of tape distributors around the country. I buy from 4 and only get really great pricing from one. The reason is that I have delt with this distributor for 15 years and buy about $2500 of blank tape per month. Many times great pricing only comes from having a track record with the supplier. All these guys make very small margins so their pricing is based on shear volume. I hope to be able to buy DVHS from my current sources in the future as I know I'll get better pricing than on the internet stores.

------------------
Don Landis

[This message has been edited by Don Landis (edited April 25, 2000).]
post #51 of 52 Old 04-25-2000, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I wonder how many are now using SVHS tape for the PVHD1000. A recent test indicates there is no difference in performance on record and playback of movies on SVHS and DVHS tape. This test was done after adding the Techniques SHAC500 decoder. I am considering switching to SVHS tape for the future. Anyone else have different results? Keep in mind that if you are experiencing audio dropouts on playback there may not be valid test results for evaluating tape stock. If you get perfect DVHS playback and not SVHS then I'd like to hear about it. I also found that I don't need to punch any holes in the SVHS tape to get it to work.

------------------
Don Landis
post #52 of 52 Old 04-25-2000, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Someone wrote this suggestion for us, and I've been doing it anyway. Before committing an SVHS tape, make a trial recording of a few minutes and play it back. Try the playback in all your DVHS machines if you have more than one. I've found that some tapes just don't work well. There isn't really a correlation to brand and type that lets me trust all SVHS tapes, so test first. Yes 120 minutes is a pain.

Also- if you intend to keep the recording, place some unneeded recording on the first few minutes, and don't use the last few minutes either. These areas of the tape are the ones that are the first to go bad.

Richard Adams
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page