DVHS pre-newbie question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-23-2000, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been reading the posts, and DVHS sounds like a great way to go compared to my current hi-fi SVHS VCR. However, I have never used DVHS, or even heard of it before reading this forum, and I have a few questions if anyone would be kind enough to answer them.

1. How does it connect to the signal source (OTA, satellite receiver, etc.)?

2. Does it work with any DirecTV or Dish satellite receiver, or do you need a specific receiver?

3. Even if it won't record the full HDTV because of the bandwidth, is there any way to record HDTV broadcasts (either OTA or via satellite), but at whatever resolution a DVHS VCR is capable of?

4. Finally, any recomendations on a good DHVS VCR to get?

I realize these questions may show a complete lack of understanding of how DVHS works, but you can't know if you don't ask the questions. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I also know this may have already been discussed to death, so I apologize in advance if I'm bringing this up for the billionth time. Once again, thanks for any help you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-23-2000, 01:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 130
1. Connection is by both firewire and standard video,stereo audio connections like you use on SVHS. Recording in in digital rather than analog format.

2. It requires a Dish network receiver with HDTV 8VSB output plus the Panasonic tuner DST50/51 to work with HDTV. For standard TV it works with any video/audio connection from anywhere that is not copy protected.

3. The PVHD1000 is the only DVHS recorder that will handle the full HDTV bandwidth. Other DVHS VCR's will only record the SDTV signals. If you see an HDTV channel displayed on a standard TV that is what it will record. On the PVHD1000, it will record the HDTV signal exactly the way you see it displayed on an HDTV monitor and it will record the DD5.1 audio as well.

4. Cost is a funny thing, especially with the DVHS recorders and HDTV capability. If you want to record HDTV, you will require the recorder which has been discontinued but can be found as new stock on the internet all the time. check e-bay and those AV dealers frequenting e-bay as your best source. Approximate cost is $750 average for the recorder. However, be aware that this is just a part of the cost equation to get it working to record HDTV. For SDTV it ends there and you have spent just $750. First of all you will need the DishNetwork Dish 5000 with an HDTV modulator and a dish pointed at 61.5 and a subscription at minimum of $10 per month but get rebates with a top 100CD or $200 when available for $29.99 per month. Then you will need additional hardware. This will be a Panasonic DST50 or 51 tuner, cost at $1000 on e-bay typical, that will get you the firewire HDTV connection to your DVHS. You will need the fire wire cable. You will need a Techniques SHAC500 decoder for reliable DD5.1 playback(key word is reliable on this) You will need, depending on your monitor input a CVC200 at $700 to convert the Panasonic tuner Y,Pr,Pb to RGBHV if necessary. Plus special component cabling and interconnects at $300. Total, I needed to spend for a reliable HDTV recording solution: $3750 which included the Dish Network system less the rebates. This to be able to have 2 HDTV channels of movies open to record HDTV movies.

Caveat Emptor-- It is widely rumored that the HDTV record capability with this system will be shut down later this year with copy protection. While the rumors are wide spread there is no one who knows for certain how this will affect us, only speculators. But even with copy protection in place, those recordings made now will still play. That much is guaranteed.

While you may already have some equipment and not need all of what I listed, for someone who has nothing now, the above will get HDTV recording added to your HDTV home theater. To my knowledge the above system is still the lowest cost way to achieve HDTV recording on a consumer level using the movie channels as source. Others have also recorded OTA local channels in HDTV. I do not have this opportunity here. And, no, DirecTV HDTV currently does not output a compatible 8VSB signal from the DTC100 to be able to record the DirecTV HDTV channels.

------------------
Don Landis
NEW! Home Theater Pics at:www.scubatech.com updated 3/12/00

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #3 of 5 Old 04-23-2000, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Question 1. How does it connect to the signal source (OTA, satellite receiver, etc.)?

The very few DVHS decks sold in the USA all connect with a IEE1394 connection which may also be know as firewire. There is an exception. An integrated combo DVHS / satellite receiver unit for Dish Network has an internal connection to the VCR.

Question 2. Does it work with any DirecTV or Dish satellite receiver, or do you need a specific receiver?

DVHS can be connected to very few receivers. The unit sold for HDTV only connects to the Panasonic TU-DST50 or 51 Set Top Box (STB), and nothing else thus far. The DVHS for non-HDTV (Standard Digital TV or SDTV) only connect to the few satellite receivers that have the compatible digital output. There isn't a provision to record an analog video signal or any other video signal on DVHS, only the few specific satellite receivers or STB units.

Question 3. Even if it won't record the full HDTV because of the bandwidth, is there any way to record HDTV broadcasts (either OTA or via satellite), but at whatever resolution a DVHS VCR is capable of?

DVHS always records the full bandwidth. It records it digitally. This is actually the simpliest thing to do. It records the MPEG encoded data stream of the A/V signal exactly as it was received. This doesn't mean it is versatile. It means that for the few instances of specific equipment that can record with a particular DVHS deck, the digital recording is always an exact replica of the transmission with no resolution loss.
The DVHS units sold in the USA do not accept analog inputs and do not have any built in MPEG encoder. They only record digital video that is already digitized and encoded.

Question 4. Finally, any recomendations on a good DHVS VCR to get?

The only one currently available for HDTV in the USA is the PV-HD1000 from Panasonic. The STB it works with has been discontinued, athough there are a few around here and there. For SDTV DVHS decks, browse around the following site for units that might be available:
http://www.yourdigitalhome.com/dss4u/hitulvisvcrv.html

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
post #4 of 5 Old 04-23-2000, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Clarifying one point of my answers, although a DVHS deck may have analog inputs and outputs for video and audio, when these are used, the recording method is standard VHS HIFI, not digital.

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
post #5 of 5 Old 04-28-2000, 07:42 AM
JSC
Advanced Member

Hi,
Can the Unity Motion 1000A be substituted for any of the components mentioned?
Once you tape an hdtv movie, can you copy/refresh it? (For personal archival reasons only, tape does age.)
Jeff
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page