Stupid DVHS Tricks? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-24-2000, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my DST50/DVHS combo and I'm pretty pleased. But I thought I'd ask you folks that have had them for a while for any tips/tricks.

Namely, is there an easy way to set timers or must I do it in both the 5000 and the DVHS manually? Will the 5000 blaster start the record on the DVHS? Any other goodies someone can share?

Thanks,

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-25-2000, 10:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
If you power down the Dish5000 system, then I suppose you need to set it's timer too. I keep mine up and set to the channel and only set the tuner timer. This works good enough for me. I may begin to experiment with setting the timer for the Dish5000 when I need to make a switch from HBO to Showtime HD when going from Timer 1 to Timer 2 but so far that situation hasn't come up yet since I usually need to switch tapes anyway. At that time I just put the 5000 in the right channel for the next program.

------------------
Don Landis
NEW! Home Theater Pics at:www.scubatech.com updated 6/24/00
(NEW Equipment Cabinet! pics)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #3 of 7 Old 06-25-2000, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Don. After messing with it a bit, I finally got around to noticing the DST50's timer setup and the handy "Record" mode. So, I guess I'll have to just set the 5000 timer then the DST50.

Tom
post #4 of 7 Old 06-25-2000, 11:14 PM

Some questions, pretty please...

How much is this combo?

Where can I get this combo?

And will it work with the DTC-100?

I am very jazzed about being able to archive some of this stuff on HBO, etc...

Thanks,

James
Editor www.dvdmonthly.com

Quote:
Originally posted by tommyboy2:
I just got my DST50/DVHS combo and I'm pretty pleased. But I thought I'd ask you folks that have had them for a while for any tips/tricks.

Namely, is there an easy way to set timers or must I do it in both the 5000 and the DVHS manually? Will the 5000 blaster start the record on the DVHS? Any other goodies someone can share?

Thanks,

Tom

James Mamone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 Old 06-26-2000, 12:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Unfortunately, finding this complete combo will be very hard as they have been pulled off the market. Keep an eye on e-bay for the bids for used equipment. This system only works with the Dish5000/HDTV modulator combo or any other 8VSB output source. Thae last good time to buy this system was back in March. After that everything dried up. There were some recent e-bay auctions but even these were bogus and were pulled off before the bidding ended due to "no stock available"

------------------
Don Landis
NEW! Home Theater Pics at:www.scubatech.com updated 6/24/00
(NEW Equipment Cabinet! pics)

Don Landis
post #6 of 7 Old 06-26-2000, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

James,

As Don has said already, you cannot use this with the DTC100 as the DST50 can only accept an 8VSB signal. Currently, the only satellite receiver that I know of that is capable of doing that is a Dish 5000 with the addon HDTV modulator.

As for the combo, the units are very hard to find. I managed to get mine for under $1,600. I got a couple of other guys in on this deal, however, the source took a few weeks and said he can't take any more orders since they are hard to find. I believe he can get some DST50 B stock, but the HD1000s are tough to get. I think there is a guy selling a combo here in the classifieds...albeit he wants big bucks...I think he was asking $2500 or so. But if you must have it, he may be the guy to talk to.

Tom

[This message has been edited by tommyboy2 (edited June 26, 2000).]
post #7 of 7 Old 06-27-2000, 03:20 PM

Well, I have found the recorder for $600, but I will need to find the other piece. I am just wondering if I should buy it and pray someone comes out with some kind of firewire box that translates thes RGBHV signal, etc...

James
Editor www.dvdmonthly.com

James Mamone

Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page