A Press Release for New JVC HD DVHS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-07-2001, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The following came from the e-town website.

JVC PRESS EXPO: STRONG SUPPORT FOR D-VHS, LITTLE FOR 16:9

TV lineup is surprisingly light on widescreen models, but new I'Art line debuts

By James K. Willcox

NEW YORK, NY, February 5, 2001 -- At its annual press expo, held in Orlando this past weekend, JVC unveiled its 2001 product lineup, highlighted by a demonstration of its D-VHS digital video recorder playing back high-definition content.
The deck, currently being sold in Japan, could make its way to the U.S. later this year. JVC said the product is ready but the company is waiting for "content providers to decide what kind of outputs the [set-top] boxes will have."

During the demonstrations, a 1080i signal downconverted to NTSC and recorded on the D-VHS deck was compared to a DVD signal in an effort to show that consumers could use a D-VHS deck today, even if they didn't have a high-definition set.

In addition, angered by an article written after CES that stated that D-VHS picture quality was comparable to DVD, JVC executives staged a demonstration that compared a DVD to programming recorded on a D5 machine, dumped to D-VHS and sent through a JVC D-ILA projector.

Compared to the DVD player's 480i output -- I couldn't find out why they didn't compare a progressive-scan image instead -- the D-VHS deck's 720p image was noticeably superior, with a much sharper picture, better background image detail and less distortion.

End of article

Lee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2001, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
the company is waiting for "content providers to decide what kind of outputs the [set-top] boxes will have."
Now isn't that special... How about the CUSTOMERS deciding on what kind of outputs to provide. Give us the connectivity we want. If the content providers decide they want to withhold content, fine, we will find someone else who will. Lets face it, these "content providers" make money by providing content. If they want to abandon a market they are abandoning an income source that others will capitalize on.

Dave