What was/is the Panny combo Audio dropout "problem"? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2001, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a TU 50, a pair of 1000's, the Dish 5000 receiver with HD modulator etc sitting at home waiting for me to hook em all up. I heard about some problem with audio dropouts with the 1000 recorder/player but I can't seem to now find anything specific about it.

When the new JVC import HDVCR is mentioned someone said "no problems now with dropouts the Panny had. But it will play the Panasonic recorded tapes fine". If there is some problem with the Panasonics Audio stream does it work fine with the Lex MC1? Or, what do I need to get a reliable audio stream? Anyone know where the problem is? My Lex seems to encounter a few dropouts from some Dish HD movies but I was never sure if the issue was the Dish stream or a picky Lex decoder. Generally the Lexicon seems to play anything whereas a Sony decoder in a DB830 will mute signal if it doesn't think its perfect apparently.

Again this may have been covered many moons ago but I can't seem to find a thread.

Larry Vale

Join Electronic Freedom Foundation
http://www.eff.org/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2001, 04:58 AM

The audio drop out problem stems from an incompatability problem between the TUDS 50/51 and most non Technics or Panasonic DD5.1 decoders. In my case, when I hooked the fiber out from the panny to my Pioneer Reciver/decoder, the sound would go quiet for about 1/3 of a second at random intervals. It really isn't that distracting after a while. To eliminate the problem I bought a used Technics SH-300 DD5.1 decoder. Panny fiber out to the SH-300, 6 amp Level outs from the 300 to the 6 audio inputs on by reciver. problem solved for about $110.00

------------------
Joby in Fredericksburg

Joby in Fredericksburg
Old 03-16-2001, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you referring to audio dropouts on HBO-HD DD5.1 movies? I thougth those are caused by HBO?

When playing tapes recorded from HBO-HD DD5.1 through the Victor deck I am still getting the same audio dropouts.

[This message has been edited by bb1987 (edited 03-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by bb1987 (edited 03-16-2001).]
Old 03-16-2001, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No I was referring to the audio dropouts that I had heard were attributible to the Panasonic Deck only.

Joby thanks for the response. Anyone using a MC1 or other Lexicon processor with the panasonic?

Larry Vale

Join Electronic Freedom Foundation
http://www.eff.org/
Old 03-16-2001, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 255
While not perfect, the Lexicon digital circuits are very forgiving. I do get some dropouts on my DC1, but not enough to worry about. I thought about getting a Panasonic DD decoder, they are cheap these days. But then I lose the famous Lexicon Logic 7 mode. Since true DD is still rare, Logic 7 is fantastic.

Remember just because it comes down a fiber or coax digital connection doesn't mean it's DD5.1. Digital audio and DD51 are to seperate things.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!