Experence with JVC W-VHS Anyone? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-15-2001, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been researching JVC W-VHS any one with experience care to comment. I notice it says 1035 line resolution not 1080i. Also appears to be analog not digital recording, how much picture degradation in record playback?

------------------
Rudy
My Home Theater

Rudy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-16-2001, 01:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
I believe the SR-W7U will record and play 1080i format as well as 1035i.

-Dylan

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!
post #3 of 6 Old 03-16-2001, 01:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1080i and 1035i have the same scan rate (33.75) so the W-VHS will record a 1080i signal.

-> No longer looking for Hi-Vision LDs <-

(I buried that format finally)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-16-2001, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

From JVC's professional equipment website:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">This 3rd generation HDTV recorder provides economical recording in the popular 1080i and 1035i formats, as well as superb component quality recording of standard definition. Supports time code and RS-422 control. Also plays/records VHS/S-VHS.</font>
The site also quotes a US MSRP of $5,950. Whew!

------------------
Scott Gammans
Another satisfied NEC VT540 owner--except for the remote ;)
mail@scottgammans.com
The Scooterplex Cinema 1 Project X

post #5 of 6 Old 03-17-2001, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

This site indicates:
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Baseband recording or 1125 scanning line component HD signal
</font>
Regardless whether it is 1125, 1080, or 1035, for SXGA projectors and less, how large of an impact on quality are we talking about anyway? I have an XGA projector that, combined with the Panamorph, will max out at 768. Is the double interpolation (recorder and projector) going to cause that much degradation?

I really like this solution because it works with all my existing gear - especially of importance the HDD200 and Unity Motion. No other single solution serves both of these, legacy devices, and devices yet to be acquired http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif. I'm not a pirate in case one of the dirt-bag MPAA snoops is reading this.

Also, I really could live with ProLogic audio for many presentations if the video is stellar. One could record the Dolby Digital via an S/PDIF input/output equipped PC and sync the audio to the tape on playback. This is similar to how DTS (and other formats?) are presented in movie houses. So, you have a tape that has ProLogic in case you don't really care ("Chick Flicks" and such - no offense ladies http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif) and, when you need to "rock the house" for an testosterone pumping action flick, you slap the cataloged companion CD into your HTPC and have at it.

Computer control of the player would be helpful in this, but not mandatory. Hidden or disguised cues could be inserted into the audio or video stream on the tape while recording and, during replay, the HTPC could monitor these cues, via analog audio input or composite/S video input, and sync the DD audio to that location. This could also help with FF and rewind if successfully implemented.

My configuration is already so obfuscated that no one but me dares approach the rack (well, not without assistance anyway). To implement the simplest form of this for me would require a new sound card, CD burner, the SR-W5U, and blank media. Hmmmmm.

------------------
The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!
Our Silent Angels

HBO is guilty of Crimes Against Filmanity!

From Paragraph 44 of the 5th Report and Order: We note in this regard that broadcasters and networks have emphasized their commitment to high definition television.

Our
Please visit
post #6 of 6 Old 03-19-2001, 10:07 AM

There are two models in JVC W-VHS. HR-W1 and HR-W5. W5 is latest version.
But W5 was released first in 1997. W-VHS is HD recorder for analog HD(another name is "MUSE". In Japan, MUSE has been used for 7 yrs.)

I don't think W-VHS supports 1035 line. That supports 1125 line. 1125 line is 1080 line. 1125 is addressable line, 1080 is active line in 1125. Both are same word. Maybe 1125 is mistranslated to 1035. (Maybe not?)

W Choi.

qO-Op
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page