AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Recorders (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/)
-   -   The JVC playback "problem" (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/48888-jvc-playback-problem.html)

Robert Cobler 03-30-2001 07:10 AM

The JVC HM-DH30000 vcr provides 2 types of output resolutions from HD tapes:
1) Full resolution (HD), which I haven't seen yet and
2) reduced resolution ('SD'=standard definition).

I believe the reason for this is copy protection: The MPAA does not want any high resolution output from sources (e.g., a vcr) that would allow a high quality copy to be made. If the component output of JVC were full bandwidth, then (in theory) the signal could be used to drive an MPEG encoder to create a quality digital copy. Future generation VCR's will only provide a very high speed digital output which will drive displays with digital input.

If an HD tape doesn't contain the proper code, the JVC will only playback in standard definition (SD). I get a brief message on start-up that says the tape is playing in high speed mode (HS) AND standard definition (SD). I understand tapes made in Japan (JP tapes) playback in full resolution. Apparently the machine can be tricked into playing unapproved tapes (e.g., tapes recorded with PV-HD1000 vcr's) in full resolution by first playing a JP tape, then inserting the desired tape into the machine. If the vcr is stopped during playback, then process must be repeated. If anybody knows of a better way to get full resolution output, please tell us.

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP! BE A PRO-ACTIVE PROTESTER

tmitchmd 03-30-2001 10:32 AM

Playback of tapes on the JVC that were recorded on the PV-HD1000 have all been HS-HD for me (and look great!).
I have no Japanese BS Digital HD tapes yet.

gridleak 03-30-2001 12:51 PM

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tmitchmd:
Playback of tapes on the JVC that were recorded on the PV-HD1000 have all been HS-HD for me (and look great!).
I have no Japanese BS Digital HD tapes yet.
</font>
Yes, the tapes do play back HS and HD. My plasma display reports "Full HD" and the aspect ratio is locked. However, from my own experience and some others here, the visual quality can be degraded. It seems to depend on the source of the recording, and the recent playback history of the JVC. Also I should mention that all these discussions refer to the component output of the JVC. No one, to my knowledge, has succeeded in outputting the JVC via the iLink back to the Panny 50 or 51.

So the output is HD, and it is never as bad as DVD, but not always perfect. Try recording some NBC HD with the JVC and compare the 51 output with the JVC while recording. There should be a noticeable difference. If not, then we have another mystery to solve.

------------------
- gridleak
...old but not completely grounded.

Robert Cobler 03-30-2001 04:43 PM

tmitchmd:

1) When you see HD quality playback from HD1000 recordings, where did the programs originate, i.e., OTA (CBS, NBC) or Dish Network? I've heard both sources have the ability to switch copy protection on/off.

2) When the JVC starts playing in HD quality, is there a brief message displayed? What is it?