AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Recorders (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/)
-   -   "Updated" TU-DST-50 in Steamy Embrace with JVC HM-DH30000 (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/48890-updated-tu-dst-50-steamy-embrace-jvc-hm-dh30000.html)

tmitchmd 03-30-2001 09:17 PM

It works!

Received "factory refreshed" TU-DST50 tonight in exchange for my blue sparkly unit.

Once again did the ritual mating dance with the JVC:
Instant recognition by the Panasonic!

1. JVC will tape from 50; no problem.

2. JVC will forward and reverse scan tapes it records itself from the 50, but not tapes recorded by the PV-HD1000.

3. JVC can play back THROUGH the 50! Just need to change input from iLink to any other. If on iLink input, then the 50 will stop the JVC almost immediately.

We can thus conclude: "Updated (ie 5c enabled?)" TU-DST50s as well as TU-DST51s are fully compatible with the JVC.

Richard Adams surmise that 5c software is needed for JVC recognition may be correct.

Jaehong Lee was correct and is fully vindicated. He had no way of knowing that earlier software versions of 50 would be incompatible. The unit he observed worked with the JVC and (most likely) had been "refreshed" by Panasonic.

Jaehong,
Thank you for turning us on to the JVC and for putting up with our doubts, accusations, etc.
You are truly an HD mensch and we all owe you a debt of gratitude.
Thank you.

Richard Adams 03-30-2001 10:56 PM

1. JVC will tape from 50; no problem.

Great!

2. JVC will forward and reverse scan tapes it records itself from the 50, but not tapes recorded by the PV-HD1000.

Very nice!

3. JVC can play back THROUGH the 50! Just need to change input from iLink to any other. If on iLink input, then the 50 will stop the JVC almost immediately.

Is the play back always HD? We should arrange to see what happens when on the the tapes R. Cobbler or Gridleak has trouble playing in HD mode is now played back through the revised DST50.

We can thus conclude: "Updated (ie 5c enabled?)" TU-DST50s as well as TU-DST51s are fully compatible with the JVC.

Richard Adams surmise that 5c software is needed for JVC recognition may be correct.

After my associates study the communication of these boxes, we'll know better why it works with the revised unit. If it is 5C, such analysis may be more difficult, but nothing is impossible.

------------------

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams

gridleak 03-30-2001 11:21 PM

Great news! JVC stock just doubled.

------------------
- gridleak
...old but not completely grounded.

gridleak 03-31-2001 12:43 AM

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tmitchmd:
3. JVC can play back THROUGH the 50! Just need to change input from iLink to any other. If on iLink input, then the 50 will stop the JVC almost immediately.</font>
Ok, enough celebrating. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Back to problems.

I have tried, with every tape I have, to play back through my "late model" 51a, without success. When the JVC input is on iLink the 51a stops the playback immediately. With the JVC input changed to another the JVC will stay in play mode and the 51a will even control it, but there is no video output from the 51a (just black). As soon as the JVC is stopped the 51a resumes showing the channel it was tuned to.

Has anyone here gotten the JVC to play back through the 51a? If so, did you do anything besides move the input off of iLink?

------------------
- gridleak

Robert Cobler 03-31-2001 05:45 AM

I think tmitchmd has solved a big piece of the puzzle: A DST50 with the PROPER 5C software communicates nicely with DH30000, i.e., everything works. Since the DST51's didn't have the blue sparkle problem, they weren't returned to Panasonic and didn't get new 5C software. Perhaps the problem with DST51's and the JVC is old software? If this is the case, a new set of PROM's might do the job.

Re "SD" output vs "HD" output: Only tapes with the proper 5C message will play in HD on the JVC. Reason: 5C prevents wideband analog output. You can only get SD out (standard definition).

Copy protection is being implemented on OTA broadcasts at times. This is probably why some OTA programs recorded on HD1000's play in HD on the JVC and some don't.

The handwriting is on the wall...

DougTalley 03-31-2001 06:11 AM

Now of course the question is, do you want to mess up your perfectly good Tu -50 / Tu-51 that were apparently shipped without the 5C software . When 5c is used by all the broadcasters, you will be dead in the water. You will also destroy the value of the PV -HD1000 / Tu-DST 50 /51 combo.

Richard Adams 03-31-2001 10:01 AM

I' still interesting in hearing what happens when one of those tapes that is down-res'd to SD from the JVC outputs is played back from the JVC to the DST50.

Those with DST51a might find that a newly repaired DST51a also has a firmware revision that makes it equal to the updated DST50 talked about here.

If there are features of the old firmware that are lost by adding the new firmware, chances are a hack will be developed to include all features in on prom set, or a larger set of Proms may be used with both sets of code, and a switch to select which version to activate, giving the best of all worlds. There is always a way. But remember, it hasn't been proen yet that there is only loss of capability from the newest rom set. It will be good to keep the older ones around though just in case.

------------------

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams

gridleak 03-31-2001 10:54 AM

Richard or tmitchmd,

Could you post the new rom numbers for the updated TU-DST50? I'm going to try to order a new rom set for my 51a. The same rom's might work in both.
I just hate the idea of sending my one and only Panny off for repair.

------------------
- gridleak