Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 57 Old 03-26-2001, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Richard, thanks for your interest in this topic. I can comment on two of your queries from direct experience with a "new" TU-DST51a and the JVC.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">3.The HDTV playback of the 30000 does not appear on the HDTV output of the DST50 or DST51 via the firewire port?</font>
Yes, the DST51 appears to send a stop command to the JVC when playback is attempted, regardless of whether the playback is started from the JVC or from the DST51 menu. Playback starts and is immediately (in about 3 seconds) stopped by the Panny box. This means it is impossible to play an ATSC tape while the Panny is connected and on, even if you're viewing the component output of the JVC. Playback is possible if 1) the Panny is turned off or disconnected, 2)input of JVC is switched to another source ("F1" for example), 3) JVC i.Link menu item is set to "off". In the third case the Panny appears to receive a data stream from the JVC (it switches from antenna to i.Link input) but shows only black output. When the playback is stopped at the JVC, the Panny switches back to antenna input.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">4.All ATSC tape played back by the 30000 do not have the capability to view the cue / review playback image as they do with JP tapes.</font>
I have not attempted to cue playback. However, during playback of an ATSC tape the forward and reverse buttons do allow viewing. It's typical MPEG style with full frozen frames flashed on the screen about every half second after a 3 or 4 second delay.

I did not receive my HD1000 today! (#%!*&&^(%^*&&)_^&^$#) Hopefully tomorrow.

------------------
- gridleak
...old but not completely grounded.

[This message has been edited by gridleak (edited 03-27-2001).]

-Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 03-26-2001, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Jaehong Lee wrote,
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Need to do more test. One thing is sure, play a JP tape first, then play ATSC tape, the picture is as beautiful as the DST50/51 if not better.
</font>
This indicates what might be a significant problem with the 30000's operation.

The need to play a Japanese HD format tape to switch the unit into a compatible mode for playing back USA tapes, and the observation that the unit can switch "mid tape" into an incompatbile mode makes this device much less useful. It sounds like a firmware issue that could be corrected either through a firmware upgrade or some other menu selection operating mode that has remained obscure.

Jaehong Lee wrote,
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">DST50 as well as DST51 works very well with DH30000. The tape recorded in DH30000 can be played back in DH30000 instantly and can be played in Panny HD1000 D-VHS flawlessly.</font>
I've been told by a person that has the 30000 and a DST50 that the unit will not record with the DST50 as the source. Don't assume that if it records with the DST51 that the DST50 works.

Jaehong Lee- have you tried the TU-DST50 or are you assuming that it works because the DST51 seemed to work?

I've have access to research notes from people that have analyzed the firewire communication between two PVHD1000 and found it substantially different when compared with the firewire communication between a DST50 and PVHD1000. They have not analyzed the DST51 yet. They have not analyzed the 30000 yet. It was rumored long ago that the DST51 had 5C protection in its communication, and that the DST50 did not. If the JVC doesn't support the non-5C communication, some or all DST50's may not work as the source deck.

Here is a collection of second hand observations with respect to the 30000 and ATSC compatibility with the three legacy Panasonic DVHS HDTV supporting products. I am using more than one source, and the sources don't seem to be in agreement on each issue.

These are all actually questions, i.e. am I correct?
Comments appreciated. Note JP= Japanese HDTV format tapes specifically designed for the 30000, and ATSC=USA OTA HDTV format.

30000 playback of ATSC tapes[list=1][*]The 30000 can play an ATSC tape through the firewire port and then the HD1000 can be used to record from that playback?[*]When using the HD30000 as the playback deck, the insertion of a Hub device or having other firewire connections to active powered up devices causes the recording described in the above step to fail?[*]The HDTV playback of the 30000 does not appear on the HDTV output of the DST50 or DST51 via the firewire port?[*]All ATSC tape played back by the 30000 do not have the capability to view the cue / review playback image as they do with JP tapes.[*]Tapes recorded by the HD1000 play back in the 30000 through the 30000's own analog HDTV outputs and there is never an issue to switch the unit's mode requiring a JP tape?[*]Tapes recorded by the 30000 have compatibility mode switching issues when played back in the 30000 (this is a recording and a playback issue although the difference may be due to recording in the 30000)?[/list=a]

30000 recording of ATSC format tapes[list=1][*]The 30000 can record ATSC tapes when the DST51 is used as the source STB, the tapes produced play back fine in a HD1000 but have compatiblity or mode switching issues when played back in the 30000 such that a JP format tape has to be re-inserted and played to cause the 30000 to switch into a mode that is compatible for play back of its own ATSC format recorded tapes?[*]Tapes recorded by the 30000 play back without issue on the HD1000?[*]The 30000 cannot record in ATSC mode when an HD1000 is used as the source deck?[*]The 30000 cannot record in ATSC mode when some or all DST50 units are used as the source STB?[/list=a]

Based on what I've read and heard thus far, the grey market 30000 is useful to USA people in the following ways, again these are questions.[list=1][*]The 30000 is useful as a playback deck for tapes recorded by the HD1000, when played back through the 30000's own analog outputs?[*]The 30000 is useful as a source deck when dubbing to a HD1000.[*]The 30000 is useful as a recording deck only when coupled with the TU-DST51?[/list=a]

Finally, two issues I have no data on is whether the 30000 can dub via firewire an ATSC tape recorded on an HD1000 or on a 30000, when another 30000 is used as the destination deck. This is at least two questions since the results may different if the source tape was first recorded on the 30000 or on the HD1000.

Second issue without data is whether the 30000 will output RGB on its analog outputs, or is the output only component YPrPb?

Is JVC willing to release information about the communication protocol of their Japanese market 30000 HDTV DVHS deck?

------------------

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams

[This message has been edited by Richard Adams (edited 03-26-2001).]

Richard Adams
post #33 of 57 Old 03-27-2001, 02:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Richard Adams:
30000 playback of ATSC tapes[list=1][*]The 30000 can play an ATSC tape through the firewire port and then the HD1000 can be used to record from that playback?</font>
Correct.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">[*]The HDTV playback of the 30000 does not appear on the HDTV output of the DST50 or DST51 via the firewire port?</font>
It don't work in my system (DH30000 + DST51).

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">[*]All ATSC tape played back by the 30000 do not have the capability to view the cue / review playback image as they do with JP tapes.</font>
Need to do more test.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">[*]Tapes recorded by the HD1000 play back in the 30000 through the 30000's own analog HDTV outputs and there is never an issue to switch the unit's mode requiring a JP tape?[*]Tapes recorded by the 30000 have compatibility mode switching issues when played back in the 30000 (this is a recording and a playback issue although the difference may be due to recording in the 30000)?[/list=a]</font>
I don't think so. ATSC playback by the DH30000 always has the decode mode issue regardless the source of the ATSC tape.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">30000 recording of ATSC format tapes[list=1][*]The 30000 can record ATSC tapes when the DST51 is used as the source STB, the tapes produced play back fine in a HD1000 but have compatiblity or mode switching issues when played back in the 30000 such that a JP format tape has to be re-inserted and played to cause the 30000 to switch into a mode that is compatible for play back of its own ATSC format recorded tapes?</font>
Seems correct.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">[*]Tapes recorded by the 30000 play back without issue on the HD1000?</font>
Yes.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">[*]The 30000 cannot record in ATSC mode when an HD1000 is used as the source deck?</font>
The DH30000 and the HD1000 can copy ATSC tape both way. The HD1000 can copy JP tape from the DH30000.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">[*]The 30000 cannot record in ATSC mode when some or all DST50 units are used as the source STB?[/list=a]</font>
According to user feedback, both DST50 and DST51 work with the DH30000 in recording from the STB.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Second issue without data is whether the 30000 will output RGB on its analog outputs, or is the output only component YPrPb?</font>
The DH30000 only has component YPbPr output.

regards,

Li On
post #34 of 57 Old 03-27-2001, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Last night was "HDTV Night" on CBS (chan 2) so I tried more recording with the JVC/DST51 combo. The results from the CBS session (various sitcoms) was excellent. While recording I switched back and forth between the Panny's component output and the JVC's component output and could see no difference while standing 2 feet from my plasma display. Tape playback appeared to be indistiguishable from the original.

Later I recorded Leno on NBC (chan4) and results were terrible, just as I had experienced a few days ago. I switched back and forth between outputs while I was recording. The Panny output was crystal clear. The JVC output was blurry and with ringing on hard edges. I stopped recording and played back some of the Leno and it was bad. I then rewound back to the CBS stuff and it looked fine. Fast forward to Leno portion and it looked much better (but not perfect). Back to recording Leno again. Output again fully degraded!!

It does appear that there is some sort of mode switching taking place in the output circuitry of the JVC, and it is triggered by the source material.

What's the difference between CBS and NBC full-HD broadcasts? Is one 1080i and the other 720p?

------------------
- gridleak

-Roger
post #35 of 57 Old 03-27-2001, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Gridleak asked,
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What's the difference between CBS and NBC full-HD broadcasts? Is one 1080i and the other 720p?</font>
Generally speaking, CBS and NBC are 1080i, while ABC has been 720p.

However, the data stream that the networks send to the stations is not exactly the same data stream that the individual stations broadcast. That is, the individual stations modify the HDTV data with their own equipment.

For that reason, the problem you're seeing with Leno may no occur with the JVC box fed with the signal from another NBC affiliate. I don't know if there will be a difference. The fact is that there is a potentially a difference.

Since the problem appears to be related to the decoding or decompressing of the HDTV signal, it may turn out that the tape recorded by the JVC deck can be played back just fine on the PVHD1000 back through the STB or the 169Time device. That is, it's a display output problem rather than a recording problem.

If this is the case, it would be interesting to see if the JVC will play back the same broadcast from NBC when recorded by the PVHD1000, or if the JVC has the problem when playing back the same NBC show when broadcast by another NBC affiliate.

I often can receive the signal from both the Sacramento and San Francisco affiliates if you need help in this scientific investigation. I also work along side the 169Time people and have access to their equipment for analysis purposes.

Here's a summary of the proposed experiments.

1) Try playing back the tape recorded by a PVHD1000 from the station you're getting the signal from on the JVC deck.

2) Try playing back the tape recorded by the JVC deck on a PVHD1000 through the STB rather than through the JVC's outputs.

3) Get a tape of the same show from other localities and see if the JVC also produces the picture problem when playing that tape.

------------------

Richard Adams

Richard Adams
post #36 of 57 Old 03-27-2001, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Li On wrote,
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">According to user feedback, both DST50 and DST51 work with the DH30000 in recording from the STB.</font>
This has not been verified first hand by anyone I am in communication with. Can you please provide additional details of who and / or how, or put me in touch with them?

------------------

Richard Adams

Richard Adams
post #37 of 57 Old 03-27-2001, 08:39 PM

I have Panasonic TU-DST50 and HD1000.
DST50(not 51) can be recorded with JVC DH30000 flawlessly.
I swear!!!!
post #38 of 57 Old 03-27-2001, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Jaehong Lee-

What is the date of manufacture of the DST50 you are using with the JVC deck. Do you know if it was serviced or revised by Panasonic?

Best additional information-
Can you give me the part number written on the six socketed ROM chips from inside the DST50?

------------------

Richard Adams

Richard Adams
post #39 of 57 Old 03-27-2001, 08:56 PM

I got it as second hands one.
Sorry I don't want to disassemble.
But it has rare chance to be modified.
Sinece i got it from user in Hongkong .
post #40 of 57 Old 03-27-2001, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Jaehong Lee wrote,
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I got it as second hands one.
Sorry I don't want to disassemble.
But it has rare chance to be modified.
Sinece i got it from user in Hongkong.</font>

Please look on back label and locate and report
the manufacturing date for the unit.

Also please seek technical assistance to read
the numbers printed on the outside of the EPROMS
I mentioned above. I do not mean to remove the
EPROMS. There are labels printed on them with
the revision numbers that can be read without
removing the chips.

------------------

Richard Adams

[This message has been edited by Richard Adams (edited 03-28-2001).]

Richard Adams
post #41 of 57 Old 03-27-2001, 09:39 PM

Liked: 11
Richard, FYI: My DST50 was manufactured in Dec '98. It is a virgin unit, complete with blue sparkles. It's never been to Panasonic.
It has 4 PROM/s (not 6)
s/n's TVR2A J026, J027, J028, J029

I will have a Victor 30000 in a few days.

More later after tests...

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP! BE A PRO-ACTIVE PROTESTER
post #42 of 57 Old 03-27-2001, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

At first I had an DST50 earlier unit with the Blue Sparkly problem made in November 1998. I traded that back for a DST50 unit made in March 1999. I look forward to hearing your results with the JVC Bob. Does your unit only do the blue sparkly when too hot?

------------------

Richard Adams

Richard Adams
post #43 of 57 Old 03-28-2001, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I finally received my HD1000 and had a chance tonight to run various tests. They are as follows:
1) I tried playing the Panasonic Demo tape (included with the HD1000)in the JVC. It was severely pixilated and would not play.

2) I hooked up the HD1000 to the Panny 51a and tried the demo tape. It played perfectly.

3) Copied the Demo tape from the HD1000 to the JVC (via the I.link of course). Component output from the JVC while copying was fuzzy as usual.

4) Played the copy in the HD1000 and found it to be perfect.

5) Copied the 'copy-of-the Demo" from the JVC to the HD1000. That tape was also flawless.

6) Played the tape I had previously recorded with the JVC the past few days that had CBS and NBC sections (see previous post). On the HD1000 all of the tape, regardless of source (NBC or CBS) played flawlessly.

As Richard has suggested, the problem with the JVC appears to be in its display output circuitry.

It seems the JVC is an excellent recorder and player, but not a very good displayer.

------------------
- gridleak

-Roger
post #44 of 57 Old 03-28-2001, 06:12 AM

Richard:

I heard 2 things about heat and the "blue sparkles":

1) Heat is the cause of the problem

2) If the unit is over-heated too long, the sparles become permanent.

Mine is apparently # 2 related. The sparkles are there even when the unit is cold. It think the basic cause of over-heating was due to restricted air flow. The EMI shielding is so extensive that almost no air can move. I removed both inner and outer covers and blew air across the PCB's--no luck. The sparkles appear to be permanent. There also appears to be a loose connection in the tuner section. The heavy antenna coax pulling down on the connector may have broken something. I want to fix this but I am unsure how to pull the tuner PCB apart from the main board as the connectors are strange and I don't want to break anything. Perhaps you know how to do this.

I am anxiously awaiting the JVC. My suspicion is the playback quality problems are somehow 5C related. I will post my results ASAP.

------------------
post #45 of 57 Old 03-28-2001, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Bob,

Could permanent sparkles be caused by bad connections on the circuit boards?

If the proms are in sockets, one trick in computer repair is to lift the rom or prom out of it's socket slightly and then reseat. Last century that was almost a daily routine with my old AppleII.

Just a thought...

------------------
- gridleak

-Roger
post #46 of 57 Old 03-28-2001, 11:36 AM

Roger:

Thanks your suggestions. I will re-seat the proms. Re the connectors: There are 4 strange interconnection devices between the main PCB and the PCB with the tuner assembly. I am a little nervous in just lifting up the main-board end of link since the wires are very small. I don't want to do anything to break the DST50 as it may be a very valuable item. Perhaps somebody familiar with these devices might care to comment. Thanks.

------------------
post #47 of 57 Old 03-28-2001, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll look at mine tonight.

------------------
- gridleak

-Roger
post #48 of 57 Old 03-29-2001, 11:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Richard,

If you'll hold your horses I will post my findings on this matter. I'm awaiting a Victor D-VHS deck; I intend to use it with the TU-DST50. I will furnish you with whatever numbers I can read on the box. I've never experienced the blue sparkle problem. My unit was refurbed B-stock from Panasonic, and likely was upgraded to the latest firmware at the time I bought it (May 2000). If the DST50 fails, well then, off to ebay I go for a DST51! No big deal.

Also, be careful about accusations of 'the arrogance of silence'. Sometimes people go on vacation, they get sick, or they don't hang out here everyday like us videoholics who have no life. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

-Dylan

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!
post #49 of 57 Old 03-29-2001, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Dylan wrote,
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Also, be careful about accusations of 'the arrogance of silence'. Sometimes people go on vacation, they get sick, or they don't hang out here everyday like us videoholics who have no life. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif</font>
You're correct. In this case there were a sequence of exchanges over a period of a few minutes and then silence. I don't think mine was an unreasonable assumption. I do agree to strike out the word arrogance as it was entirely subjective.

----

On the matter of TUDST50 firmware, I've been told of two types thus far. I list the numbers on the labels off the 4 socketed chips for the twodifferent sets below.

Oldest unit
TRV2AJ026
TRV2AJ027
TRV2AJ028
TRV2AJ029

Newer unit
TRV2AJ032
TRV2AJ033
TRV2AJ034
TRV2AJ035

I've not yet determined a way to identify the particular firmware version a particular unit has through menus or other on screen interrogation.
  • Is there a method to determine this without disassembly?
  • Are the other versions for the TUDST50 besides the ones I've listed above?

------------------

Richard Adams

Richard Adams
post #50 of 57 Old 03-29-2001, 05:16 PM

Jaehong Lee: Regarding soft playback from JVC 30000

I made a test with a tape recorded by my HD1000 and TU-DST50. At first I thought all was OK because I was using a 21" computer monitor in my shop. When I looked at playback on a 96" screen there was a definite softness to the picture. I also noted when the playback starts, the system briefly displays "HS SD". I think this means "high speed" and "standard definition". I believe the softening (SD) is part of the new copy protection system. The purpose of the softening is to prevent viewing tapes in high definition if the tapes do not have the proper copy protection authorization, or perhaps no copy protection code at all. The basic reason for this is the 30000 has componet outputs.

All of the above pertains to recording via DST50 and HD1000. Perhaps a similar test can be made using DST51?

------------------
post #51 of 57 Old 03-29-2001, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

I sold the DST50 (yes, a DST50, I repeat, it's a DST50) to Jaehong. As he said, his US STB works with the DH30000. So the DH30000 work with the DST50. At least the DST50 I got around 1.5 years ago. I think Jaehong just mistype the model number if he said DST51!

The soft playback mode IS a problem. But there's at least a workaround - play a Japanese HD tape before playback of a US ATSC HD tape. IMO DH30000 playbacks of ATSC HD tape give a better picture than my DST51 (yes, I've a DST51, but I can't test recording via the DH30000 because I don't have any HD RF signal to feed the STB. The DST51 and DH30000 see each other and I can control the DH30000 via the STB menu. I can't playback ATSC HD tape via the DST51 like other people reported.) The DH30000 picture is more refine with better shadow detail.

The DH30000 can also be used as a 'HD decoder'. Plug the PV-HD1000 ilink to the DH30000. Switch the DH30000 to accept external input from ilink. Play a HD tape (US or JP) in HD1000 and the DH30000 will decode the bitstream and output the HD picture and sound via the component video and optical audio.

To those with the DH30000 but don't have any Japanese HD tape, email me to talk more.

regards,

Li On
post #52 of 57 Old 03-29-2001, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Jaehong Lee is in the process of purchasing the JVC; as of last week he did not yet own one.

The JVC was demonstrated to him by a afriend of his with a TU-DST51.

He may have demoed one since with the 50, but I have no knowledge of this.

My 50 will not recognize the JVC, although the JVC does recognize it.
I am replacing my 50 with another from Panasonic because of the blue sparkly problem.

I also have a new 51 on the way as well.

I should then be able to declare definitively whether the updated 50s are compatible or not.(Keeping my fingers crossed that at least one of them will work!).

"Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not an engineer."
post #53 of 57 Old 03-29-2001, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tmitchmd:
Jaehong Lee is in the process of purchasing the JVC; as of last week he did not yet own one.
</font>
It doesn't matter. He does have the DST50 I sold to him. If he has access to a DH30000, I'm sure he has tested the DST50 connection. According to his comment, the DST50 works with the DH30000. And I repeat, Jaehong does has the DST50. (Unless he sold it again!)

regards,

Li On
post #54 of 57 Old 03-29-2001, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Does the TU-DST50 record to the JVC deck?

Note that the DST50 and DST51A are different machines. Even if one works, this does not guarantee that another similar model works. The specific question is whether the DST50 will work. There may be revisions of the DST50 that work, that is some work and some don't.

It is already known that different DST50 boxes have different firmware version. Because of these firmware differences, the case may be that some DST50 units will work with the JVC deck and some may not. Or perhaps all DST50 units work, or maybe none of them work.

Thus far, the only person reporting that a DST50 worked with the JVC deck Jaehong Lee.

Understand that my only purpose in writing this response is to attempt to clarify this compatibility issue.

I note that on 03-22-2001 07:19 PM Jaehong Lee wrote,
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I was the only one who confirmed recording with JVC DH30000/Panasonic DST51 combo.

&lt;snip&gt;

Playback HD tapes through DST51 was not possible in my case too. But it has built in HD decoder. No problem.</font>

Although the complete meaning of this is out of context, I note that he twice specifically calls out the DST51 and not the DST50, and says this is, "my case."

Then on posted 03-27-2001 11:39 PM Jaehong Lee wrote,
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I have Panasonic TU-DST50 and HD1000.
DST50(not 51) can be recorded with JVC DH30000 flawlessly.
I swear!!!!
</font>

This post was in response to my assertion that no one I'm in contact with had verified that the JVC deck worked with the DST50.

After he wrote that he had the DST50, I asked for the manufacturing date and the PROM revision. Although we got an excuse for not giving us the PROM revision, he didn't even acknowledge the question about the manufacturing date. I asked again, and we've all been served a heaping portion of the arrogance of silence.

...As best I've heard, they don't work at all with the DST50, and although they record with the DST51A, they cannot play back through that unit. For owners of the DST51A box, this may have been entirely mitigated if the JVC's analog HDTV output was 100% compatible with HDTV broadcasts in the USA, but as we've heard, USA users have found that the JVC deck will not properly display some USA broadcasts and recordings.

I suspect that there is some "behind the scenes" pressure between the people in the USA that purchased these decks while relying on the information that they would work with the DST50. I am not currently one of them, so this is only a suspicion.

With all of this in mind, I again ask if anyone has a DST50 working with the Japanese version of the JVC deck, and if you are sure it is a DST50, please give the manufacturing date of the unit, and if you have access to a person with technical skills to take off the cover, please give the numbers printed on the outside of the PROM chips.

Even if you don't have access to the PROM chip numbers, the manufacturing date would be some help.

If anyone has previously stated that it worked with the DST50 and later discovered an error in that report, it would be a great help to reveal this or any other information so that we do not waste our time trying to get these to work together. It is possible that they do work together and the people in the USA just don't know how to do this. It is possible that the particular DST50 that it worked with was unlike USA units and had different firmware or configuration. It is even possible that the JVC deck that the DST50 worked with was somehow different than the ones the people in the USA received.

No matter what, I do not blame any person for the compatibility problem except JVC. This is not a personal issue. An honorable person gains respect by giving the best information they have even if it conflicts with what they've said before.

If JVC wanted to make their unit compatible with all USA HDTV programming and with other manufacturer's STB, they certainly have the resources to do this. It was JVC's choice not to support their product that way.

------------------

Richard Adams

Richard Adams
post #55 of 57 Old 03-30-2001, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Re: bad NBC (Leno) display on 30000. Richard Adams wrote:
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Here's a summary of the proposed experiments.

1) Try playing back the tape recorded by a PVHD1000 from the station you're getting the signal from on the JVC deck.

2) Try playing back the tape recorded by the JVC deck on a PVHD1000 through the STB rather than through the JVC's outputs.

3) Get a tape of the same show from other localities and see if the JVC also produces the picture problem when playing that tape.
</font>
1) Recorded Leno last night on the HD1000. Played back on JVC. Output was bad.

2) All tapes made on the JVC play back perfectly on the HD1000/51a combo.

3) Need a "donor tape".

Bob,
I looked inside my 51a (Oct, 1999; no prickly heat) The connectors do look a little fragile, but the way things are arranged if you pop them loose, the whole center board should lift off without bending the little wires. Not a fun job but it's doable.

I took some pictures. Lots of heatsinks in there! I'll post them or email them if anybody wants to compare with their 50. Proms are as follows:

TVR2AJ036-2
TVR2AJ037-2
TVR2AJ038-2
TVR2AJ039-2

Maybe AVS could make a "group buy" of the right proms!

------------------
- gridleak

-Roger
post #56 of 57 Old 03-30-2001, 04:33 PM

.My TU-DST50 was manufactured on Nov.1988.
I don't want to open cover for verifying EPROM no.
Until now no heat problem and blue sparkle were occurred

I have PV HD1000/ DST50 for Korean and American ATSC HDTV recording/playback and Toshiba DTT2000 BS digital STB and panasonic NV-DH1 for Japanese HDTV recording/playback.
I can make copy any D-VHS recording(from Panasonic NV-DH1 D-VHS to HD1000 D-VHS ).

I don't have JVC DH30000 right now.
2 weeks ago ,I asked my colleague who went Tokyo for business and he didn't have so much time to go AV shop .
post #57 of 57 Old 04-03-2001, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Another tidbit: I just got the TU-DST51 Service Guide. The mysterious iLink number displayed in the service menu of the DST51 is related in a complex and unique (one-to-one) way to the chassis serial number. They offer an ominous warning that the number must be corrected when a replacement main board is installed or the unit won't work correctly!!

------------------
- gridleak

[This message has been edited by gridleak (edited 04-03-2001).]

-Roger
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page