AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Recorders (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/)
-   -   HM-DH30000 I.link (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/48895-hm-dh30000-i-link.html)

bb1987 03-17-2001 09:38 PM

Could someone please translate page 119 of the manual. This is the section on using I.link to interface a camcorder.

I have only been able to record anolog video and audio. I believe there is a menu item that needs to be changed in order to record digital video and audio from the camcorder.

Thanks
Bernhard

[This message has been edited by bb1987 (edited 03-18-2001).]

dahester 03-18-2001 12:26 AM

Also, can someone confirm that the HM-DH30000 works with the Panasonic TU-DST50/51 tuners?

-Dylan

bb1987 03-19-2001 10:52 AM

Thank you for the information.

I only get I-1 not I-2.

You don't need to translate the manual. I had been able to record this way, but the result is an analog recording. I thought that I could make a digital recording from the camcorder?

Is this not possible?

Thanks
Bernhard

bb1987 03-19-2001 01:00 PM

Tried to hook up a Panny 50 STB to the Victor. It recognizes it as I-2, however I got no output.

Bernhard

h2ofun 03-19-2001 02:37 PM

Can you hook up a HD1000 to the victor and try to copy a tape firewire to firewire?

Maybe we can hook this up to the 169 product

dave

Jaehong Lee 03-19-2001 08:46 PM

Benard

You should use D-vhs tape for digital recording.
If you use S-vhs tape , set DH30000 as S-tape is recognized as D-VHS tape as Mr.Choi instructed.

Dave

I can successfully dub digitally HD movies.
Use DH30000 as play device and HD1000 as recording device.
Don't turn on any device except two if I -link cables are connected.

some case , you should adjust tracking control(for digital plyback) for block noise free dubbed D-VHS tape play.

W Choi 03-19-2001 09:44 PM

I have HM-DH30000.

Dylan,
Sure... HM-DH30000 works very well with Panasonic TU-DST50/51. No problem.

Bernhard,
What can I do for you? Page 119 of the manual don't tell i-link interface. That page tell about i-link gears order reset.

I'll tell how you can record digital camcorder.

(1) Connect i-link with your digital camcorder. (First, the camcorder must be power on.)

(2) Can you see four [+/-] buttons in the middle of the remote controller?

(3) The key you need is "Channel" key. That is right end of four buttons,
under "OK" button. Find it? Some Japanese letter... that means "Channel".

(4) Press [+], then see front pannel of gear. Channel number is changing.
Press [+] again, again, again... Keep changing number...2, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13,BS5,BS7,BS9,BS11,L-1,L-2,F-1 and I-1, I-2! I-2 is final goal.

That is, press [+] until "I-2" appears.
"I-1" means "I-Link 1st". If you connect another i-Link gear(ex, another D-VHS...), that gear is "I-2" to DH30000. For example, if you connect with digital tuner and digital camcorder, digital tuner is I-1, camcorder is I-2.

(5) If you use S-VHS tape, don't forget follow buttons.
(5-1) You can find six buttons right under door. And you can read two buttons("HS/STD/LS3" button and "D-VHS" button).
(5-2) First press "D-VHS" button, and choose recording speed by press "HS/STD/LS3" button.

If you want to change i-link number(I-x), follow page 119.
(Still you need translating page 119?)

Thanks
W Choi

bb1987 03-20-2001 11:01 AM

Thanks, Jaehong for the information. Where is the tracking control located?

There was some breakup with some of the BS tapes I have and maybe adjusting the tracking control will help with that.

Bernhard

h2ofun 03-20-2001 12:20 PM

Good news.

Have you tried using HD1000 as play device and DH30000 as record
device?

Have you tried a DST50/51 to tape to HD30000?

Thanks

dave

Jaehong Lee 03-20-2001 04:51 PM

For digital tracking control of JVC DH30000

Can you see [+],[-] buttons right of TBC indicator in front pannel?

The key is "Channel" key.
Press [+],{-} button same time while playing D-VHS tape.
This act engage manual digital tracking mode.
press [+] button repeatedly until clear picture comes .
If nothing happened or worsened , press [-] button repeatedly until clear picture comes .

If you press Press [+],{-} button same time again, it goes back to automatic tracking mode.

gridleak 03-22-2001 12:54 PM

Thanks to all the good advise I found at this forum I have jumped into this recording stuff head first. I have a Panny 51a and a DH30000, and I'm getting close to getting them to work together.

h2ofun and dahester

I have recorded via the I-link to the JVC. The recorder can be controlled from the Panny as well as directly by the JVC remote. When things are working properly the Panny throws up messages on the screen like "DVHS recording" or "DVHS stopped", etc.

To control from the Panny you have to use the menu/DVHS/control option. If the Panny recognizes the JVC then the top text box will say "Stopped", otherwise it will say "error" or "not connected". I have found that if it says error I can turn the recorder off and on and that fixes the connection.

My first attempt used a very long I-link cable (4.5 meter), and the communication between the Panny and the JVC seemed very flakey. With a 2 meter cable it is better, so I suspect the cable should be as short and hi quality as possible.

Play back thru the Panny is not successful for me yet. It starts to play and then the Panny issues a stop command in about 5 seconds. Very strange.

gridleak

h2ofun 03-22-2001 01:25 PM

Lets see, you do not have a HD1000 so you can not try for
us a HD1000 playing tape and DH30000 recording.

If I read corretly, all you have gotten to work is DST51 sending data
to DH30000 via firewire for recoding.

But for playback, you can only work going straight out of the deck
to you TV, not throught DST51?

dave

thanks

gridleak 03-22-2001 03:25 PM

Dave,
Yes to all. Playback is working thru the JVC's "D" component output set to D3. D4 also works since my display is native 720p.

I don't have an HD1000 yet, but have one coming in about a week. I'll try copying both directions when it arrives.

To my surprise my Sony VX1000 minidv camcorder can send video and sound by I.link to the JVC. I had expected it to only work with JVC cameras. Haven't tried to conrol the camera from the JVC remote yet.

Thanks again to everybody here. This is really a great forum.

- gridleak

[This message has been edited by gridleak (edited 03-22-2001).]

Jaehong Lee 03-22-2001 04:19 PM

That's great news.

I was the only one who confirmed recording with JVC DH30000/Panasonic DST51 combo.

I reported in this AVS forum.

One member bought DH30000 and he tried to setup, but failed.
He kept sending me e-mail . I replied that it is confirmed and recoding can be possible..
He sometimes treat me a kind of crook

I am finally happy to hear that I was not the only one.

BTW DH30000 can receive and record all brands of DV and mini -DV camcoder and
recorder.

Playback HD tapes through DST51 was not possible in my case too. But it has built in HD decoder . No problem.

If you want more stylish one, buy Toshiba A-HD2000 D-VHS. Both have same function and same features .

You can see at http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press...0/pr_j0202.htm

gridleak 03-22-2001 05:43 PM

Glad I could help establish that you are not a crook. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif However, the whole process seems a little finicky. Until I try the HD1000 I won't know which is better.

re the Toshiba: Just what I need -- another box to add to the stack. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

- gridleak

[This message has been edited by gridleak (edited 03-22-2001).]

h2ofun 03-22-2001 06:30 PM

So whats the cost difference between JVC and Toshiba? Feature
difference?

Still looking form someone to hook up the JVC and DH30000 together via
I-link and copy both directions.

Thanks

dave

Jaehong Lee 03-22-2001 06:44 PM

Toshiba D-VHS is about 3 $ higher. Virtually same street price, I guess.
Exactly same in circuitry ( Since It's a kind of OEM)
Only appearance is different.

cpark 03-22-2001 09:03 PM

This may be a dumb question, but I am not a techhie. Has anybody tried to 1) copy a D-VHS recording of HDTV program to DVD disc by DVD-RW of PC via IEEE 1394 (I-link)? and 2) copy DVD ripped and HDD stored movie to a D-VHS tape via IEEE 1394? 3) Better yet, why not record HDTV program from I-link cable output of the tuner with a PC-DVD-RW device? How will the quality be and if it does not work, why wouldn't it work?

I have HD30000 and am considering to build a HTPC with IEEE 1394. It would be neat to record HD movies with DVD-RW, even it is two separate discs.

Robert Cobler 03-23-2001 05:19 AM

A thought:

I will soon be receiving my HM-DH3000. Although I can eventually learn to recognize the Kanji on the JVC remote, I plan to operate the VCR through an english-speaking remote. There are several units that can "learn" the JVC remote's commands and have them appear in english. You can also setup macro commands on most learn-type remote controllers.

Perhaps somebody has already been down this road. If so, let us know how things worked out.

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP! BE A PRO-ACTIVE PROTESTER

h2ofun 03-23-2001 08:28 AM

Another question. Has anyone tried teh queue feature of the JVC?
Meaning after you taped from the DST50 to JVC, will the tape do fast
forward and can see it on the screen? Then can this tape play in the
HD1000?

thanks

dave

gridleak 03-23-2001 11:20 AM

Last night I recorded the Leno show in full HD using the Panny51/JVC combo. The results were disappointing. The recording process proceeded flawlessly. I even paused the recording process for commercials, and while recording I watched the show via the Panny's component output on a Pioneer 505HD 50" plasma. As usual, the picture was crystal-clear, like looking out a window.

Playback was another story. The JVC's component output was noticeably less sharp. The sides of Leno's face had ghost lines similar to what I see on DVD's. The picture quality was better than DVD, but not by much.

At this point I don't know where the problem is. Maybe I have a bad unit. If I could get the JVC to output thru the I.link I could send back to the Panny and check quality there, but I'm starting to think I.link on the JVC is input only.

- gridleak

h2ofun 03-23-2001 11:46 AM

I see people have verified the DST51 passes into the JVC for record.
Has anyone use the DST50 for this same function?

dave

gridleak 03-23-2001 01:30 PM

I just heard from a vendor in Japan that I.link on DVHS machines is limited to 200 Mbps instead of normal 400. Anybody out there know about this?

Also, on the JVC, has anybody succeeded in outputting on the I.link to the Panny for viewing?

------------------
- gridleak

Jaehong Lee 03-23-2001 04:02 PM

For crystal clear HD playback from DH30000.
see below

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Be careful! As I found out that the Victor playing ATSC tape has some VERY
weird problem. It can only show ATSC at FULL resolution if the tape you
play before is a Japanese(JP) HD tape like the following step:

1. play JP tape
2. play ATSC tape (HBO etc)
3. play another ATSC tape
4. the picture looks very soft (not focused) as you said
5. play any JP tape
6. play the same ATSC tape in step 3, picture back to normal with full
resolution.

Sometimes even the ATSC tape play fine (full resolution), a stop (maybe
some fast back/forward but no tape change) and play will give a very soft
picture again.

Need to do more test. One thing is sure, play a JP tape first, then play
ATSC tape, the picture is as beautiful as the DST50/51 if not better.

Jaehong Lee 03-23-2001 04:19 PM

Dave

DST50 as well as DST51 works very well with DH30000 .
The tape recorded in DH30000 can be played back in DH30000 instantly and can be played in Panny HD1000 D-VHS flawlessly.

gridleak 03-23-2001 04:54 PM

Jaehong Lee,

Wow, what's going on there! Wish I had a JP tape to experience that. If I understand you correctly my DH30000 is never going to playback in full HD until I run a JP tape through it.

Fortunately, the HD1000 I'm getting has a demo tape. I hope that will do the trick.

...and if it doesn't where can I find a JP tape??

------------------
- gridleak

[This message has been edited by gridleak (edited 03-23-2001).]

gridleak 03-24-2001 04:58 PM

The comment here about the need to play a JP tape to switch output mode of the DH30000 has really got me baffled. In another thread Jaehong posted a reference to the recorders specs at
www.victor.co.jp/products/vcr/HM-DH30000.html

Http://babel.altavista.com/translate.dyn translates the text, but not the graphics. A translation of this graphic might help:

http://www.victor.co.jp/products/vcr/HM-DH30000ZU2.GIF

It looks to me that the JVC has one MPEG2 encoder, one or two MPEG2 decoders, and one DV decoder. The MPEG2 encoder is for NTSC only and the MPEG2 decoder(s) handle NTSC and HD output. Maybe the wrong decoder is being used when I see fuzzy HD output!? We need a Guru with answers.

By the way, what is a JP tape? Is it same as BC tape?

------------------
- gridleak

[This message has been edited by gridleak (edited 03-26-2001).]

Jaehong Lee 03-25-2001 04:49 PM

JP Tape means Japanese BS HDTV tape.
Japan broadcast her own HDTV via satellite.
DH30000 can record eithe ATSC or Jpanese BS digital .

I sent some JP tapes to 1 - 2 US DH30000 users .
You may get some help from them.

[This message has been edited by Jaehong Lee (edited 03-25-2001).]

gridleak 03-25-2001 11:53 PM

Thanks Jaehong, I should receive the HD1000 Monday, and if by Tuesday I don't have some answers I'll beg for help.

------------------
- gridleak
...old but not completely grounded.

gridleak 03-26-2001 11:49 AM

Information about the DH30000 on the Japan Victor site has been moved and updated a little. It now resides at:
http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/D-VHS/DH30000/index.html

------------------
- gridleak
...old but not completely grounded.