Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-12-2001, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is any type of device besides 169x available to record HD directv?

Ljg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-12-2001, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greg,

Could you please post the details of how you are recording from DirectTv?
Are you using a DTC-100?

Also, what is the going cost for a W-VHS unit?
THanks,
Mase

Galatians 6:7-8:
post #3 of 11 Old 04-13-2001, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GregQuinn:
For me it's just a stop gap until the new 1394-supporting STB's arrive in a few months with the JVC D-VHS recorder (American branded, my Japanese is a bit rusty) </font>
Greg, who is releasing 1394 STBs in a few months and what is the anmnounced date for the JVC ?

Thanks in advance

post #4 of 11 Old 04-15-2001, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have read it before, and I'm trying to rememebr it. I have searched and found it here on this site somewhere before. I think you connect the modulator to the 5000, and connect a cable from the modulator to one of the antennae's going to the DTC-100, and you have a cable from there going to the panasonic stb, which is connected to teh Panasonic D-VHS. I am not 100% sure about htat though. I would have to do a search again to find it.

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

post #5 of 11 Old 04-15-2001, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Greg,

You can't record DirecTV with the HD1000/TU-DST50 combo, but you can record Dishnetwork if you buy a Dish5000 rcvr and a Dish Hidef modulator which plugs in to the 5000 receiver.

You connect the HD1000 DVHS VCR to the TU-DST50 STB(0r 51) using IEEE1394 firewire cable. Connect the RF output of the HDTV modulator to the DST50 antenna input. Connect your antenna to the Dish Hidef modulator. The sat signal goes into the 5000 rcvr. The Hidef component video signals come out of the DST50 STB.

With this arrangement you can record Dishnetwork hidef from HBO or SHOW by tuning the 5000 rcvr to the appropriate sat channel and the DST50 (or 51) to channel 3. You can record OTA hidef by selecting any OTA digital channel for the 5000 rcvr and the desired digital OTA channel for the DST50.

This is a little cumbersome, but it works - perfectly (except for rare DD5.1 audio - but not video - dropouts when playing back). The dropouts are not on the recording.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-15-2001, 06:40 PM

Where can you buy a W-VHS for 2k?? The best price I got on the older model was 3.2k. I went back and looked at ebay and they show no w-vhs units completed in the last 30 or how ever many days they keep records.
Bill Taylor
post #7 of 11 Old 04-15-2001, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
LJG one of the other options that hsn't been mentioned here is the Panasonic HD1000. Its a DVHS machine with IEEE1394 ports. Its a bit tricky if you want to record HBO however because you would need a Panasonic STB to connect to it, and then you would need a Dish 5000 with an HDTV modulator to connect to it. All the items I just mentioned are discontinued by the way :-).

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

post #8 of 11 Old 04-16-2001, 04:41 AM

ON the W-vhs, it does not give the perfect recording but it is very close and you can record ANYTHING with a componant output. You do not have to rely on a cable or sat box or OTA with any kind of digital output.
Bill T
post #9 of 11 Old 04-16-2001, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Surprised we're all skating around the real issue here...

Are we sure that studios and the networks aren't still going to demand some type of copy protection? I can see it now... Macrovision HD with Colorstripe 12!!

So that $2,000 VCR may not work a year from now.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-16-2001, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by feldon23:
Surprised we're all skating around the real issue here...

Are we sure that studios and the networks aren't still going to demand some type of copy protection? I can see it now... Macrovision HD with Colorstripe 12!!

So that $2,000 VCR may not work a year from now.
</font>

As long as HD video continues to flow from the component outputs, the WVHS can record it. Also since the video signal is reconstructed from the MPEG stream in the STB, they can't add any form of analog copy protection after the fact. They may have analog kill or downrez capabilities built into the STB however.

The reason the DTC100 will not work is because they used a non-standard H sync rate. Whether this was just the way it worked out or was intentional, we don't know. You can't feed a DTC100 into a broadcast machine through an A/D convertor either. I tried it at work.

IMHO, analog outputs will be abandoned on future products but never disabled on legacy products. There would be too much backlash from early adopters and they would be very vocal and scare off future buyers. Plus there really aren't enough of them to be a copy issue anyway.

While the program content producers may have some input, I think the main reason analog will be abandoned is simply technology. Why funnel this pristine digital signal through degrading analog cables? plus analog outputs addd cost to the product. A firewire port is cheaper to implement.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #11 of 11 Old 04-16-2001, 03:42 PM

Has anyone tried this since DirecTV downloaded the patch to allow you to correct the timing?

------------------
Rudy
My Home Theater
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page