From NAB2001 JVC WVHS HD VCR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-23-2001, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Here is a link to a picture of a JVC WVHS recorder I saw at NAB today.
Sorry, they had no one around who knew anything at all about it. I will try to get more info when I return to that part of the show on Wednesday.

http://www.scubatech.com/NAB2001/JVCWVHS.JPG

If you have any specific questions, let me know before tomorrow night and I'll try to find out Wednesday. If I find anyone there I'll ask the usual stuff, when how much and what about DD audio etc.

------------------
Don Landis
Home Theater Pics at:www.scubatech.com Last updated 3/25/01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-24-2001, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, Don,

I'm curious about whether the deck incorporates any copy protection devices and, if so, how they work.

------------------
HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!
post #3 of 8 Old 04-24-2001, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Good find. My questions are;

- what type of ins & outs
- what media type/ expected price
- usable with any STB, or are you locked into one particular model

Plus the usual, available yesterday for about $1k!

Curtis
post #4 of 8 Old 04-24-2001, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for the questions. I'm going back tomorrow and hopefully will find someone who knows something.

------------------
Don Landis
post #5 of 8 Old 04-25-2001, 04:21 AM

Liked: 11
I was lucky enough to talk to a VERY knowledgeable rep at the JVC booth today at NAB about both the SR-W7U WVHS deck and the HM-DH30000.

The SR-W7U has quite a few ins and outs on the back... at least 4 and maybe 5, and at least two were component. There were no ilink/firewire/1394 connectors.

The rep referred to it as a 2nd gen deck. The specs on the plasma display above it were very scarce, but it will record 1080i. This is an ANALOG deck! The HM-DH30000 is the digital deck with a FW/ilink connector (this is a Japan only deck marketed under their Victor line, very cool; but who knows when we will see it- it has several record modes from LS to HS with bitrates from 2Mbps to 28.2 Mbps).

According to the rep the SR-W7U is available now, the really bad news... it goes for $6069.00. I will definitly verify this tomorrow.

Dave

Be The Beer! BriansBelly.com
post #6 of 8 Old 04-25-2001, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Today the JVC booth had a rep present for the WVHS deck. My gut feeling was that he was not very friendly toward the marketing of the DVHS deck. He made a big todo about not selling this in the USA as long as the MPAA is breathing down their necks about copy protection. On the otherhand he was pusing the analog WVHS and volunteered that it did not have copy protection, was selling for the suggested list of $6900.00 with dealer discounts available. Dealers are those selling the D-ILA projecvtors and they have a bundle deal currently working. Here is a picture I managed to shoot of the back by squeezing my camera behind the plastic case it was inside of.

http://www.scubatech.com/NAB2001/Jvcwvhs3.jpg

And here are some sketchy specs off the plasma screen as it scrolled by:

http://www.scubatech.com/NAB2001/Jvcwvhs2.jpg

The good news (from my opinion) was that this WVHS analog HDTV PQ was superb! I don't think anyone could complain about that. Of course it is NOT DD and only records analog stereo on the HiFi tracks like a SVHS VCR.
And, as everybody knows WVHS tape is expensive and difficult to find. D9 tape is available but equally expensive. All the way around this deck is a very expensive solution to recording HDTV from any RGBHV signal.

When the American JVC rep walked away another Japanese rep came over and was asking me all sorts of questions as to why I was interested in the WVHS HD recorder. I told him and he said that they are very confident that the DVHS will soon be available in the US and will be pushing for it. The WVHS deck is available now but is being marketed mostly for commercial usage.

------------------
Don Landis
post #7 of 8 Old 04-27-2001, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Greg-
The point was that the WVHS VCR IS available now but the DVHS VCR is only availble outside the USA I(from normal dealer channels) I agree that the WVHS format is too expensive to operate and lacks the full plate of features that DVHS has. However, if you must have an analog HD VCR for recording Channel 199 on direcTV this is one solution that will work. After all, remember that channel 199 is not yet DD5.1 capable either so putting the cost aside, this works! Personally, I'd wait for DVHS and get a dish 5000 system for recording off DishNetwork.

------------------
Don Landis
post #8 of 8 Old 04-28-2001, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I question why JVC has never dropped the price of this VCR. The technology is 15 years old and being Analog, is really dated. yet the price has risen from $5,000 to $6,900????????

Lee
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page