Closed Thread

post #31 of 34 Old 05-01-2001, 10:48 AM
rrg
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unless there's been a very recent policy change, Panasonic still services them. All my STBs and VCRs have been to Panasonic (for a swap out or for servicing) within the last few months.

------------------

Ron Gomes

Ron Gomes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 05-01-2001, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
peterd & rrg,

I have no way of knowing whether the 50 STB that Panasonic swapped for me has copy protection.

I was just going by rumors, mainly on this forum, that Panasonic put copy protection in when they came up with the blue sparkly fix.
post #33 of 34 Old 05-02-2001, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What I do worry about is whether any future digital machine will be backward compatible with the library of movies I have built.</font>
Me too, especially since I'm selling off DVD counterparts for movies I have on DVHS. From what I've read, the Victor DH30000 plays tapes recorded on the Panny HD1000, so that's a bit reassuring.

On a different subject, my RPTV supports only 1080i & 480p (not 720p). This may be a stupid question, but is it possible to send the native HD signal from the DST51 to the RCA DTC100 & have it upconvert 720p to 1080i for my RPTV? The DST51 downconverts 720p to 480p for my RPTV, which I'm not too happy with.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #34 of 34 Old 05-02-2001, 09:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I believe the FTC requires that a consumer product be serviced for up to 7 years past the discontinuation date. The real good news is that most of the wearable parts in the PVHD1000 are standard off the shelf items that are universal Panasonic parts, many available from 3rd party manufacturers, like drums, power supply parts, belts, pinch rollers, brake pads etc. By that time we will have several choices for upgrade path. What I do worry about is whether any future digital machine will be backward compatible with the library of movies I have built. This has always been a problem, even with analog machines.

------------------
Don Landis
Home Theater Pics at:www.scubatech.com Last updated 3/25/01
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page