DST50 Floor Model - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-29-2001, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter
sr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased the DST50 w/firewire interface, however, I have been unable to obtain the companion D-VHS recorder at a reasonable cost. Therefore, if anyone wants to purchase the tuner for exactly what I paid for it before I return to the WIZ, send me an e-mail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-29-2001, 07:58 AM
Sil

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You've got mail.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-30-2001, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
sr

I lucked out and found the HD1000 in a WIZ in Staten Island (did a lot of driving). Now I have the Panny Combo! I am sooooo happy....can't believe the picture....absolutely nothing short of miraculous.

The DTS50 does have a heat problem. The picture distorts when the tuner heats up after an half hour (blue fuzzies), so I put a fan on top of the tuner, and now it works fine. I'm going to call repair and ask them if there is a fix. I remember reading that someone did send their unit back for repair and they corrected the problem. However, no one seems to know if part of a reapir includes installing 5C copyright. If I find out that they actually install this feature as part of a repair, my little tuner will have a fan glued to it for life before I return it to them. One other problem I get is that when I tune to Channel 24, the PBS channel, the tuner automatically changes to channel 25 and a message comes up saying "Channel Not Available - Signal Input: Found". Does anyone have a clue how to fix this? My RCA DCT100 tuner picks up 24-1 with no problem.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-30-2001, 08:04 PM
rrg
Advanced Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sr:
One other problem I get is that when I tune to Channel 24, the PBS channel, the tuner automatically changes to channel 25 and a message comes up saying "Channel Not Available - Signal Input: Found". Does anyone have a clue how to fix this? My RCA DCT100 tuner picks up 24-1 with no problem.</font>
In my experience the tuner in the DST-50 (and 51) is pickier about reception than the DTC-100 (and other STBs I've used). The message indicates that it can detect a signal but that the signal is too weak to lock. If you can re-orient your antenna more toward Brooklyn, try to.

The 24-to-25 change is just the PSIP channel remapping (WNYE-DT is on UHF channel 24 but "virtual" channel 25).

------------------

Ron Gomes

Ron Gomes
post #5 of 11 Old 05-01-2001, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sr:
I lucked out and found the HD1000 in a WIZ in Staten Island (did a lot of driving). Now I have the Panny Combo! I am sooooo happy....can't believe the picture....absolutely nothing short of miraculous.

The DTS50 does have a heat problem. The picture distorts when the tuner heats up after an half hour (blue fuzzies), so I put a fan on top of the tuner, and now it works fine. I'm going to call repair and ask them if there is a fix. I remember reading that someone did send their unit back for repair and they corrected the problem. However, no one seems to know if part of a reapir includes installing 5C copyright. If I find out that they actually install this feature as part of a repair, my little tuner will have a fan glued to it for life before I return it to them. One other problem I get is that when I tune to Channel 24, the PBS channel, the tuner automatically changes to channel 25 and a message comes up saying "Channel Not Available - Signal Input: Found". Does anyone have a clue how to fix this? My RCA DCT100 tuner picks up 24-1 with no problem.
</font>
You should call Pannasonic. They have an exchange program for the 50 and 51's. They will take your credit card, then send you out a new unit first, and you then send the defective one back. This way you won't be out of a unit at all.

Good luck.

Bernhard

post #6 of 11 Old 05-01-2001, 11:40 AM

The TU-DST50W repair for the "blue sparkles" involves a chip upgrade to put in the correct Schottky IC's - the wrong ones were installed in the original units, and the heat problems are considerable.

With the chip upgrade, the sensitivity of the TU-DST50W is comparable to the TU-DST51. I have both tuners and can't see a measurable difference on my test bench in terms of sensitivity.

This claim of adding 5C copy protection sounds like an urban legend to me. I know the folks at PAVCAL where the tuner was designed, and the service upgrade is simply a matter of putting the correct ICs in as opposed to the wrong ones.

I used both to watch WNYW, WCBS, and WPIX DTV last night from eastern PA, a 60+ mile distance.

KC
post #7 of 11 Old 05-01-2001, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
sr

You guys are right on the money. Panasonic is exchanging the STB and holding $1200 on my charge card until I return the defective DST50W. Stay tuned (pardon my pun) to find out how the performance of the replacement set.

post #8 of 11 Old 05-02-2001, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Something else for you to consider regarding hard to pick up channels.
Turn OFF the Channel Map in Setup.

I have 2 stations that are rather weak (signal wise) and I could not get a solid lock. I did that and bingo, those 2 stations come in fine now.

I got this tip from someone in this forum last year or it is buried somewhere in the manual (I forget which).

Joe
post #9 of 11 Old 05-02-2001, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I used both to watch WNYW, WCBS, and WPIX DTV last night from eastern PA, a 60+ mile distance.</font>
Wow! How'd you manage that? I'm in Princeton, NJ & can only get Philly OTA stations (none NYC).

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #10 of 11 Old 05-02-2001, 11:02 AM
mdv
AVS Special Member

Kevin,

Can you tell me which IC's get replaced with Schottky's? I'd like to try to modify my DST-50 myself.

Mark
post #11 of 11 Old 05-02-2001, 09:49 PM
rrg
Advanced Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe Q:
Something else for you to consider regarding hard to pick up channels.
Turn OFF the Channel Map in Setup.
</font>
Note, though, that early versions of the TU-DST50 don't have that option in Setup.

Mine didn't have the option until it was swapped out by Panasonic for one with newer firmware.

------------------

Ron Gomes

Ron Gomes
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page