Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-30-2001, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote]Originally posted by Lord British:
I am particularly interested in the Panansonic HD1000... it seems to be quite a bit less than the JVC D-VHS unit.

I saw one on display at Ultimate Electronics in Abq, but don't know how many they have in stock. They only work with the Panny STB, right? JR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-30-2001, 06:38 PM

That's strange. I've asked them several times and they show nothing in the computer. I guess I'll have to take a ride down there.

Regards, Peter
post #3 of 7 Old 04-30-2001, 09:27 PM

Hi all... I was just wondering if any D-VHS recorders can still be bought new... most of the web sites I've checked say the products are discontinued.

I am particularly interested in the Panansonic HD1000... it seems to be quite a bit less than the JVC D-VHS unit.

Also, wasn't there a Dish receiver/D-VHS combo out once? I will be getting my HDTV service from Dish Networks.... would the HD1000 work with Dish's 6023 receiver?

Thanks!

Lord British
post #4 of 7 Old 04-30-2001, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
It's near impossible to find the Panny HD1000 new. I tried for a long time, then bought a used one.

Re: the JVC DVHS units (w/ & w/o Dish), they do NOT record HD. They record an mpeg2 bitstream w/quality comparable to DVD. The upcoming (summer I believe) JVC DVHS will record in true HD.

------------------
Surf on to ... THE BEST FILMS & HOME THEATER

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #5 of 7 Old 05-01-2001, 07:25 PM

Well, I went down to the store today and lo and behold, there was one just sitting there. Here's where it gets interesting.

I asked the sales guy if he had any in stock. He checked and said no but he could special order one. I explained to him that these were discontinued and could I buy the display model. He checked the computer and then called an associate over. This unit just came in a week or two ago. It has note in the computer that says NOT to sell the display model. He will call their buyer tomorrow and let me know. It is currently on hold for me if he can sell it.

Does this lend any credence to comments that Panasonic might be bringing this back?

Regards, Peter
post #6 of 7 Old 05-02-2001, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
It was confirmed by Panasonic today via phone, that the unit was discontinued as the 2000 model year product was introduced, approximately a year ago.

Playing the devil's advocate, why would Panasonic would keep it in their product line, as it requires a IEEE1394 compatible ATSC DTV decoder, which they also discontinued and no one else has ever made?

And as far as what a local store will tell you, be very cautious what you believe. When they told you it "This unit just came in a week or two ago", the question is from where? Their local warehouse? Returned from an unhappy customer who didn't know what they were buying? It almost certainly did not come from Panasonic unless by chance it was some "B" stock clear out.

------------------
"better living thru modern expensive electronics"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #7 of 7 Old 05-02-2001, 06:56 PM

The Ultimate Electronics buyer "allowed" me to buy the display unit. Ken H's remark on "one to two weeks ago" was spot on. This unit came from another store where it was used as the demo unit hooked up to a TU-DST50.

Anyway, it has the sticker which indicates that it should only be used for demo purposes. I will verify operation tonight. I did buy the extended warranty from the store. If the unit does not want to record reliably as has been reported of some of the demos, I will use the extended warranty to have the unit modified to normal specs.

In any case, I now have two units which helps me sleep at night.

Regards, Peter
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page