AVS Special Member
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Newport Beach, CA, USA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK... that should fire up some folks here. Of course, it is different, the sticker on the back, the holes in the lid; but what are the differences that really count? Based on serial numbers there are about 500 demos floating around, and they are showing up on Ebay. It might be a good idea to determine what the real differences are to assist those who are contemplating a purchase, or those who are experiencing difficulties with these units now.
I am fairly certain of the following:
1) Their serial number range is B9SA30001 to B9SA30500.
2) Top is about 75% perferated.
3) Sticker on back says:"Not for Sales..." etc.
4) Channel reported as 1-1, (not always, one of mine doesn't always do that!)
5) Fan sucks air into the box. Part #FBA06A24H, 24v, .13A
(Consumer fan blow out of box and is part #FBA0642, but is also 24v and .13Amps.
6) No tape ramp in front of head cylinder.
7) No head cleaner contraption.
8) Back tension arm is #0110, consumer is #0128.
9) Lower cylinder # is VEGS0419 (consumer is #VEGS0422).
Otherwise I see no differences in circuit boards.
Regarding the cylinder: I called Panasonic to see if they still carry the "0419" cylinder because it's is listed in their parts list on the website. I was told that the 0422 cylinder is a substitute for all previous cylinders (0419 and 0414).
What does this all mean? The additional holes and fan direction are for better cooling and for allowing the addition of a dirt filter if necessary. About the tape ramp and head cleaner, maybe my units are oddball and they're not missing from all demo's. Regarding the cylinder: the demos were made early and the cylinders may have been the only ones available at the time.
One last item. The HD1000 service manual warns that the demos are "not for servicing".
- gridleak... biased toward HD