Tuning UHF stations on the JVC HM-DH30000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2001, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can anybody explain how UHF stations are selected? These stations have the same RF assignments as USA UHF stations except the channel number is reduced by one, e.g., US channel 30 is channel 29 on the Japanese assignment system...but how do you select the stations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2001, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Robert

Do you have a JVC HM-DH30000 now?

If so, does it have a built in tuner?

Murray Kerdman

Murray Kerdman
Old 05-24-2001, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
The unit has a BS tuner. It won't work for ATSC stations.

Bernhard
Old 05-24-2001, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

The fourth menu item is "Channel Set".
4.1 is "Live Channel Set".
4.2 is "Manual Channel Set".
4.3 is "Guide Channel Set"
4.3.1 is "Guide Channel"
4.3.2 is "Channel Display".

I would guess that 4.1 does a search for channels.

------------------
- gridleak... biased toward HD

-Roger
Old 05-24-2001, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

If it won't tune ATSC HDTV-DTV channels, are you guys just exploring the feature set and programming or is there a record/play puurpose to your review of the menu items.

If it has a tuner, evne one not designed for US, the US version would seem likely to have one too.

However, I came across the following which is somewhat interesting:

"JVC HOLDS OFF ON OFFICIAL D-VHS HD VCR BOW
JVC showed -- but apparently decided to delay the official introduction of -- its consumer D-VHS HDTV VCR at CES. Officials seemed uncomfortable about discussing the product, which was at JVC's booth. But printed materials -- which made their way into some early kits in the press room -- indicated $1,999 pricing for the HM-DH30000. The model uses the high-speed HS mode for recording 3.5 hours of HDTV on a D-VHS tape, and features a built-in MPEG-2 decoder, DV input/output via 1394, a Dolby Digital decoder. But copy protection and connection specifics were unclear, which seems to have been the reason for delaying the official introduction. (We also saw a prototype D-VHS HD VCR in Zenith's booth with a built-in ATSC decoder.)
Adding to the confusion, it seems that a future JVC D-VHS model will incorporate DVI and High-bandwidth, Digital Content Protection (HDCP) -- a plan first announced last year (CEON, 4/15/00, part 1). Hollywood studios, which JVC hopes will offer D-VHS HD prerecorded cassettes, like DVI's uncompressed digital output, since it discourages home copying and streaming on the Internet. HDCP, which been endorsed by Fox, Universal, Warner Brothers and Disney, is only available over the DVI link."

Consumer Electronics Online News (c): Jan. 20, 2001
By Marjorie Costello, Editor & Publisher

Murray Kerdman
Old 05-24-2001, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

mkerdman

Yes, the JVC has a complete VHF, UHF, CATV tuner. The VHF assignments are typically 30 MHz higher than US channels. The UHF assignments differ only in numbering, e.g., Japan channel 24 = USA channel 25, etc.
Old 05-25-2001, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

"Yes, the JVC has a complete VHF, UHF, CATV tuner. The VHF assignments are typically 30 MHz higher than US channels. The UHF assignments differ only in numbering, e.g., Japan channel 24 = USA channel 25, etc."

Robert

I assume Japam does not utilize the ATSC system in the Japanese version.

However, it seems easy enough for JVC to drop in an ATSC & NTSC-UHF-VHF tuner for the US market.

With (1)so many component input equipped "HDTV Ready" sets sold, and (2) Sony/Mits pushing through 1394/5C, and (3)JVC poised to collect a whole new round of royalties on another generation of VHS, can a US JVC HM-DH30000 (and other D-VHS machines)be all that far behind?

Murray

Murray Kerdman
Old 05-25-2001, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member

OK Robert, try this.

Attach an antenna.
Go to menu item 4 and run 4.1. There's a screen that has "000" in a little window and if you just punch ok button it will spend about 10 seconds messing around and then you're back to no menu. Then go to item 4.2. There you can scan thru all the channels working back from 110 or so. You'll be able to "tune" each channel and remap it too. There might even be some way to cancel the ghosts. I picked up about 15 different NTSC stations. Unfortunately the DTV stations don't seem to produce a picture. I think you should spend the night messing with this and figure out which button to push to make those pesky Dtv guys show up. It's probably some COFDM conspiracy.

BTW, after I pushed all these buttons the big purple button now scans thru the channels.

It's really scary doing this cutting edge stuff

------------------
- gridleak... biased toward HD

-Roger
Old 05-25-2001, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

A quick look inside the JVC HM-DH30000

Note, I did get the JVC to tune UHF channels thanks to Gridleaks help. All analog stations work normally, but nothing from the DTV stations.

The JVC has 2 separate tuners. One for VHF, UHF, and cable. The 2nd tuner is for BS (broadcast satellite). It tunes the IF frequency. It appears the digital decoder (ATSC or COFDM, etc) is in a small (easily removable) sealed box behind the tuners. A much larger sealed assembly seems to be handling everything else including the firewire connectors. I had heard the JVC also had an ATSC decoder, but this is probably not true. Since Korea is ATSC, I thought the JVC might provide compatability for Korea. I don't know what Koreans will use for off-air HDTV reception. If the JVC has ATSC decoder somewhere, I haven't a clue as to how to activate it. Maybe somebody can tell us more.

It remains to be seen what JVC will do with the USA model. I saw the prototype at CES and it looked like the DH30000. The CES hand-out read the same as well. Stay tuned...