possible PV-HD1000 'demo' fix - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 05-06-2001, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I sent a 'demo' PV-HD1000--purchased at a Good Guys in February and sold to me via the forum classified--to Panasonic's Illinois repair center for warranty repair. My problem was the familiar block noise artifacts on new recordings even though the unit could playback tapes from my other machines. After about three weeks, Panasonic sent a letter saying that the 'demo' units were made for playback only and that for about $650 they would replace the upper head assembly, front display panel, and the main digital board to add recording capability. In the meantime I had received the backordered service manual and seen some adjustments that might fix the recording problem, so I told Panasonic to return the unit unrepaired. After getting it back last week, I readjusted the digital recording current adjustment, and so far it seems fixed. It will record and playback without block noise and these recordings will playback on my other 'consumer' PV-HD1000s. The adjustment requires an oscilloscope and since my scope hasn't been calibrated in many years, I just measured the waveform voltage on my two 'consumer' and machines and readjusted the 'demo' unit to be the same--it was 10-15 % higher than the others.
Charles
Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-07-2001, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't believe a word Panasonic says. They broke my unit and tried to charge me for repairs. I filed a complaint with the BBB. I would suggest you and others do the same. If they get enough complaints maybe their will be something done. The people running the service in IL on these recorders are crooks! After over 2 months and lots of shipping cost I had to finally send it to another company who finally fixed it. Panasonic could never fix it. They replaced my front cover and replaced the main front panel PCB which they broke in half removing it. They tried to charge me over $300.00. I filed a dispute and won. BEWARE Panasonic repair for these in IL are not honest and do not know what they are doing. I'm sure others have been ripped off by them however don't realize it. The only difference between the demo unit and the standard consumer units is a sticker on the back and the cover has more vent holes in it. Also these units had a little sticker on the front panel explaining how to set it for continuous play. They will try anything to rip off the untrained consumer.
BEWARE!!!!!!!!!
Jeff
post #3 of 28 Old 05-07-2001, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

That is very interesting information. I wouldn't think a huge company like Panasonic with a reputation to protect would permit such practices by any of their employees.

It seems to be that maybe these people in Illinois are not actually Panasonic employees but may in fact be a seperate company under contract to Panasonic, so what I would do is make sure that the higher ups at Pannasonic find out about these issues.

Bernhard
post #4 of 28 Old 05-07-2001, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

After playing with my 'demo' unit this weekend, I've boxed it up for storage as a spare. I'm really glad I didn't let Panasonic mess with it! One minor quirk that remains is that recordings made and played on the 'demo' unit always show as channel 1-1, but when played in a consumer vcr with the same TU-DST51, the correct channel ID appears--in this case 8-1 as I was taping the 1080i HD loop on WFAA.

Charles
post #5 of 28 Old 05-07-2001, 11:03 AM

Charles,

Can you give more details about your fix?

Thanks.

Jeff
post #6 of 28 Old 05-07-2001, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

For those who have asked for more detail, adjustment of digital recording current is described on page 2-30 of the service manual. Remove the cover of the vcr, disconnect the firewire cable, insert a d-vhs cassette (stop mode), set the vcr input to dtv with the remote, locate the head amp board, measure the voltage at the top pin on the foil side of the board for each of the two pots, R4541 and R 4589, with an oscilloscope and adjust the waveform voltage to 110mv +/- 5mv peak to peak. My HP scope is old and I don't trust it's calibration, so I just measured the voltages on my two working consumer PV-HD1000s and set the 'demo' for the same size waveform--it was 10-20% higher prior to adjustment.
Charles
post #7 of 28 Old 05-07-2001, 03:54 PM
mdv
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info Charles!

Mark
post #8 of 28 Old 05-08-2001, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Can you please tell me where the Demo unit sticker is located on the HD1000 so I can know what I am looking for. I am going to purchase a unit from someone that maybe a demo, and I don't want it if it is.
Thanx

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

post #9 of 28 Old 05-08-2001, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

The sticker is located on lower-center of back panel. It says:
Quote:
NOT FOR SALES.
For demonstration playback only.
Use only with Panasonic D-VHS Demonstration Tape.
It's interesting that the Demonstration Tape is the only tape that would not play on my JVC DH30000.

Serial numbers and dates for my HD1000's.
G9SC30041 -- 7/27/99 (Consumer model)
B9SA30026 -- 2/18/99 (Demo)
B9SA30316 -- 2/22/99 (Demo)

I haven't noticed a difference in the recording ability of the Demos from the consumer unit.

------------------
- gridleak... biased toward HD

-Roger
post #10 of 28 Old 05-08-2001, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

My demo is SN B9SA30332 from 2/99 and my two consumer units are 8/99 production. Obviously, the repair center is wrong and the demo units were built with recording capability. Interchange can be a problem even with consumer units. In addition to the digital recoding current adjustment I've mentioned, there is a BER (bit error rate) adjustment for playback performance that is detailed in the service manual and this may help with interchange difficulties. It requires recording about ten minutes in the digital mode with the firewire cable disconnected and pressing a button on the remote and front panel at the same time after rewinding the tape; the progress is indicated on the vcr's ntsc output. I did this, but I'd already solved my problem by adjusting the recording current. Members who have PV-HD1000s should go ahead and spend $30 for the service manual.
Charles

[This message has been edited by cnixon (edited 05-08-2001).]
post #11 of 28 Old 05-08-2001, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

There is a sticker on the rear panel, but it may have been removed. The top cover of the demo models is almost completely covered with perforations, whereas the consumer models have two small perforated areas at the center rear area of the lid.
Charles
post #12 of 28 Old 05-09-2001, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Charles, for the heads-up on this.

My demo units also report the channel number as 1-1 when playing back their own tapes. When you first reported this I figured that the demo units had the same circuitry but Panasonic didn't bother with all the adjustments. Now it looks like there are circuitry or firmware differences too.

I guess I'll pull out the manual. What scope bandwidth do I need for the recording current adjustment?

------------------

-Roger
post #13 of 28 Old 05-09-2001, 01:54 PM

Charles

Can you provide details on how you got the service manual?

Milton Henry
post #14 of 28 Old 05-09-2001, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Gridleak, the manual calls for an oscilloscope using 20MHz LPF IN function when doing the digital recording current adjustment. Milton, call Pansonic's national parts center at 1-800-833-9616 and order the manual, part # MKE9906300C1. I paid 29.57 including tax and shipping.
Charles
post #15 of 28 Old 05-09-2001, 11:00 PM

Charles

Many thanks for all the information.

Milton
post #16 of 28 Old 05-12-2001, 04:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Recently got my demo PV-HD1000 back from Panasonic Illinois
where they had repaired it to consumer-grade. It now
works perfectly (no digital breakup or green pixelization)
although it does exhibit the "channel 1-1" effect noted
by others. This doesn't bother me.

For the record, they replaced two parts:

VEGS0422 Cylinder Unit $264.13
VEPS5017A Digital PC Board W/Compon $250.38

With labor ($90), sales tax and shipping (they agreed to
send it back to me UPS Red/overnight, but never charged
me any extra) the total bill came to $666.89.

It's been working perfectly ever since.
post #17 of 28 Old 05-16-2001, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I checked the record current on two demo's and one consumer HD1000. They all read between 110 and 114 mv. Based on the history of these machines, I don't think they have ever been serviced.

------------------

-Roger
post #18 of 28 Old 05-16-2001, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Gridleak,
As I recall, your machines don't have any recording problems. I don't trust my old scope's calibration, but my demo unit measured about 10-15% higher than my two consumer units and adjustment of the demo to match the consumer levels seems to have fixed the block noise problem--I only tried about 30 minutes of 1080i recording, but saw no artifacts before boxing up the demo. DSperber let Panasonic 'upgrade' his demo and says it works fine, but I remember a thread here in December (?) talking about repaired units still exhibiting block noise on recordings.
Charles
post #19 of 28 Old 05-16-2001, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Charles,
Please don't think that I doubted your results or report. I believe that as time goes on this type of reporting will become essential. Support for these boxes will eventually go away and we'll all be depending on each other to keep them running.

My interest here is in documenting varifiable differences between the demo and consumer HD1000's. At this point it seems that there are only two differences: the sticker on the back and the inability of the demo units to report the channel number correctly.

BTW, one of my demo units has started to get block noisy, so I guess it's on to head cleaning, tension adjustment, and "BER" and "VCO" adjustment.

Ain't HD fun?!

------------------

-Roger
post #20 of 28 Old 05-16-2001, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

So how does one tell if have a demo unit?

I assume the sticker can be taken off. I thought all demos
had the extra bevel cuts in the top of the unit so it goes all away around. I thought consumer units had them only on the left.

I have what I think is a consumer unit. Only bevel cuts on the right side and no sticker. But when I play a tape I get the 1-1 channel showing up. Normal for a consumer unit?

Am getting my DST50 exchanged since it seems to have heat issues.

dave
post #21 of 28 Old 05-16-2001, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by h2ofun:
So how does one tell if have a demo unit?
I just noticed this tidbit on the inside cover of the PV-HD1000 Service Manual:
Quote:
The products (serial number B9SA30001 ~ B9SA30500) are not for servicing.
I think serial number is the way you tell.

------------------

-Roger
post #22 of 28 Old 05-16-2001, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Their are Two diferent firmware versions in these units. Some consumer units have the firmware which shows the 1-1 and some shows 3-1 etc...
This has nothing to do with a consumer unit versus a demo unit except all demo units had this old firmware in them and only a few consumer units had this old firmware. The only way to tell them apart is by the sticker, the vented cover and or the serial number.
Jeff
post #23 of 28 Old 05-17-2001, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

The demo units go into Repeat mode if the stop button is held down for more than 3 seconds. The consumer unit I have doesn't do that and Repeat has to be initiated in the menu. I would think that's a firmware difference.

------------------

-Roger
post #24 of 28 Old 05-23-2001, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by h2ofun:
Only bevel cuts on the right side and no sticker.
Dave,
What bevel cuts are you referring to?

------------------

-Roger
post #25 of 28 Old 05-23-2001, 05:21 PM
sr

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Located on the back of the top cover, there are two small ventilation areas which is one of the features of a consumer recorder.

I have a consumer recorder that works perfectly, but I get the 1-1 channel ID when playing back. If a firmware upgrade fixes this, do you know if there is any other benefit to the upgrade? I'm just wondering if its worth sending back for a firmware upgrade? Is the upgrade simply unplugging a chip and re-inserting a new chip?
post #26 of 28 Old 05-24-2001, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
"I sent a 'demo' PV-HD1000--purchased at a Good Guys in February and sold to me via the forum classified--to Panasonic's Illinois repair center for warranty repair. My problem was the familiar block noise artifacts on new recordings even though the unit could playback tapes from my other machines. After about three weeks, Panasonic sent a letter saying that the 'demo' units were made for playback only and that for about $650 they would replace the upper head assembly, front display panel, and the main digital board to add recording capability."

Why, wasn't the unit under manufacturers warranty?
What was Panasonic's definitive determination that this was a "demo" made for playback only?

Charles

Serial number, vents, sticker?

I am poised to buy a demo bought in January. The labor is out of warranty, but the parts should be covered.

Your post implies that Panasonic isn't recognizing any warranty on "demo's".

Also, others have stated that the DST50w has a "blue pixie"
problem, and that Panasoncic will automatically repair or replace these units within the (1) one year warranty.

True or not?

Please advise.

Murray Kerdman
mkerdman@earthlink.net

Murray Kerdman
post #27 of 28 Old 05-24-2001, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Murray,
As noted by others about the demos, Panasonic's service manual says "the products (serial number B9SA30001-B9SA30500) are not for servicing." I think I may have been able to fix mine by adjusting recording current, but this may not work for yours. Good luck!
Charles
post #28 of 28 Old 05-25-2001, 02:51 PM
sr

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
mkerdman,
I sent my DST50 for warranty exchange after I told them about the over-heating and blue sparkles problem I was getting right after I bought a store "open box" unit. They sent a rebuilt unit which no longer overheats or has the blue sparkles. However, I am experiencing the annoying audio drop-out problem, which from the replies in this forum, is related to both the optical output of the stb and the outboard audio decoder. That's why I still use my good old RCA DCT100 when I want uninterrupted audio, and I put up with the DST50 when watching a recorder program.
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page