Panasonic DST50/51 & HD1000 Q&A? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-19-2001, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does the TU-DST 50/51 have component outputs or only RGB Output Jacks (with H & V sync) which require a transcoder?

Does the DST50 and/or the DST51 have DFAST protocals? Should I care?

Does the DST51 have unconversion from 480i/P-720P to 1080i that the DST50 does not?

Does the HD1000 have copy protection of any kind? Will it record and play a 5C encoded program?

Does the HD1000, when used with the Dish 5000 for HDTV recording, have the capability to record and play DD 5.1 Channel Digital Audio through the TU-DST 50/51- or- does it only have VHS Hi-Fi Stereo Sound?

Does the DST51/51-HD1000 have audio drop outs, when used with the Dish 5000 for HDTV recoring and playback, and require the Technics AC500 decoder?

Murray Kerdman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-19-2001, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
mkerdman,

---> I have the DST51 so I don't know about the DST50. I have owned the DISH 5000/HD mod,DST51/HD1000 for nearly a year so I am quite familiar with its operation.

Does the TU-DST 50/51 have component outputs or only RGB Output Jacks (with H & V sync) which require a transcoder?

---> DST51 has Component Out , NO rgb.

Does the DST50 and/or the DST51 have DFAST protocals? Should I care?

----> Neither do. The DST51 has 5C but no one knows whether it really works. Search for Posts from Don Landis on this.

Does the DST51 have unconversion from 480i/P-720P to 1080i that the DST50 does not?

-----> The DST51 has a switch on the back for 480/1080,480 or Native. When set to 480/1080, 720P programs are downconverted to 480P. Not sure about 480I as I have never seen the point in recording such a c***py picturehttp://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Does the HD1000 have copy protection of any kind? Will it record and play a 5C encoded program?

----> Don Landis had a series of posts about this. I can not remember what he said and since my system has never 'seen' 5C data, I do not know.

Does the HD1000, when used with the Dish 5000 for HDTV recording, have the capability to record and play DD 5.1 Channel Digital Audio through the TU-DST 50/51- or- does it only have VHS Hi-Fi Stereo Sound?

----> Don't forget to add the DISH HD modulator. The HD1000 will record the DD 5.1 audio just fine as it is bascially a 'bit bucket' when connected to the DST51. The DST51 does the actual decoding of the data coming from tape.

Does the DST51/51-HD1000 have audio drop outs, when used with the Dish 5000 for HDTV recoring and playback, and require the Technics AC500 decoder?

-----> NOT on my system which is the Yamaha DSP-A1 so I do not need nor use the Technics decoder. There are posts regarding some receivers that do not work perfectly.
This is assuming you are using good quality S-VHS tapes.

I am sure someone will chime in and add their 2 cents.

The 720P downversion always seems to get argued about but MY DST51 DOES downconvert to 480P. It is visually obvious because I also have accessDTV which upconverts EVERYTHING to 1080i if you tell it to. In my area, 720P only applies to FOX and ABC. DISH does 1080i ONLY.

Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe Q (edited 05-19-2001).]
post #3 of 12 Old 05-19-2001, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Does the PV-HD1000 have component outputs or only RGB Output Jacks (with H & V sync) which require a transcoder?

Does the PV-HD1000 have DFAST and/or 5c?

If you set the DST51 switch on the back to Native, an HD-RPTV should UPCONVERT 720P to 1080i and display 480P natively. Correct?

If the DST51 has DFAST and/or 5c would it be prudent, at this point, to wait to buy a second generation DFAST and/or 5c D-VHS machine?

Murray Kerdman

Murray Kerdman
post #4 of 12 Old 05-19-2001, 02:01 PM

Murray,

The PV-HD1000 does not have either component or RGB outputs. Playback of D-VHS is through the firewire back to the DST50, which then outputs component video to the HD display.

The HD1000 has no concept of copy protection. It simply records the RAW digital MPEG data stream and then plays it back.

If you set the DST50/51 switch to NATIVE, 720p is output is 720p and 1080i is output as 1080i. The original source material is played back at its native resolution. What the TV does with this signal depends on the TV.

Not sure what you are getting at with the last paragraph.

------------------
Buddy Yaussy
My HT Page

Buddy Yaussy
My HT Page
post #5 of 12 Old 05-21-2001, 08:23 PM
sr

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Has anyone sent their DST50 back to Panasonic to correct the audio drop-out problem? They seem to be more frequent when I first turn on the STB and become less frequent as it warms up.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-22-2001, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
The audio dropout problem is not with the DST tuners, unless you have a defective unit.

The problem is the way your audio processor handles the DD signal. Some DD processors have a problem with the DST output, others do not. The inexpensive solution is to get a Technics DD/DTS processor, I don't remember the model number and they are discontinued now, but it was available new on the net for less than $250. Other than that, you can shop for a different processor, but I would be sure to have the option of returning it, if it doesn't work.

------------------
"better living thru modern expensive electronics"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #7 of 12 Old 05-22-2001, 04:28 PM

Buddy_Yassy

The PV-HD1000 does indeed have copy protection. If you try to dub a copy protected program using 2 1000's, both machines will immediately stop and "CP" (copy protected) will appear on each machine. I know this firsthand. The reason many don't think the 1000's have CP is there is very little copy protected material around.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-23-2001, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Does the DST-50 have an NTSC S-Video output of the HD image?

Which is more desirable for HD OTA and Dish 5000 HDTV Viewing/Recording; the DST50 or the DST51?

Murray

Murray Kerdman
post #9 of 12 Old 05-25-2001, 06:24 AM

Robert,

Thanks for the info. I haven't tried dubbing between two decks. As far as recording and playback, do you know of any copy protection implemented?

Murray,

The DST-51 has a better OTA tuner in my experience. At one time, I had two of each and did a pretty exhaustive comparison of them against the DTC-100 and the Dish6000 OTA module. (I know, I have an illness...)

I have four local stations, three VHF and one UHF. The UHF seems to be the weakest of the four, although I am not confident in my RF distribution in the UHF band. Two of the VHF stations are strong, and one is relatively weak.

The DTC100 receives all four stations quite well. I get occasional dropouts on the UHF station. The 6000 OTA was comparable to the 51. Both had no trouble with the two strong stations, had some trouble with the weak VHF station (occasional signal loss) but the UHF was extremely intermittent. The 50 was the worst of the three. Only one of the two "strong" VHF stations was rock solid, and the other would occasionally drop out. The weak VHF station was pretty bad, and the UHF was "nowhere to be found".

Now keep in mind that my RF distribution is not the greatest, and I plan to make improvements, but for comparing the boxes against one another, it was just about the perfect test platform.

------------------
Buddy Yaussy
My HT Page

Buddy Yaussy
My HT Page
post #10 of 12 Old 05-25-2001, 02:39 PM
sr

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I wonder if boosting the antenna signal via an rf amplifier will help reduce the audio drop-out problem.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-25-2001, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Dylan,

Thanks for the correction. I just revived a thread with details on this issue.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum28/HTML/000116.html

------------------
"better living thru modern expensive electronics"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #12 of 12 Old 05-25-2001, 09:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H:
[b]The audio dropout problem is not with the DST tuners, unless you have a defective unit.
This is not quite true. The TU-DST50 has bit errors on its SPDIF output when playing back D-VHS tapes. Some audio processors handle the bit errors gracefully, while others do not.

Any receiver or audio processor which uses Crystal DSPs will mask the audio dropout. Others from Motorola and ADI will mute the audio for up to a second.

The JVC DH30000 also has problems recovering audio from D-VHS tape. Rumor has it that 169Time has succeeded in eliminating the bit errors when playing back D-VHS tapes, so any AC-3 decoder would work in this case.

I'm convinced that most companies haven't figured out how to re-synchronize audio and video properly when recovering the MPEG-2 TS from D-VHS. I bet what we're seeing with the DST50/51 and DH30000 is a buffer over-run or under-run.

-Dylan

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page