HD-PVR Question... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-24-2001, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I like many others here would love to see an HD-capable PVR available ASAP. However, I would also LOVE to see such a PVR with an IEEE-1394 Firewire output that would allow the consumer, if interested, to make ONE copy of a timeshifted program to D-VHS tape for archival purposes. Is it technically possible for a CE manufacturer to design a PVR with Firewire/1C protection on the output that would allow only one copy of an HD program onto tape?

Can someone better acquainted with the technical issues explain to me why the studios and the MPAA would object to such an output on a PVR machine? If Sony and Warner Brothers
have no objection to Firewire/5C inputs/outputs on the upcoming JVC decks, why would they object to a one copy Firewire out on a PVR machine? Of the HD material that I would want to record I estimate that 90% of the time I would want to merely timeshift, but there's going to be that 10%
of content that I want to keep for posterity's sake (special
sporting events, PBS specials etc.). Placing a one-copy Firewire output on a PVR would add tremendous incremental value to such a product IMHO.

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

HDTV Early Adopter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-25-2001, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The studios don't want you to have posseion of HD copies of there stuff..... Period

While it is possable, they don't want to take the chance that someone would turn off the "Copy Once" bit or the "Copy" bit on the tape.

------------------
Les_D
DFAST = HD DiVX
DFAST has nothing to do with stopping piracy and every thing to do with making you pay EVERY TIME you watch a movie.

Les_D

More or Les
post #3 of 7 Old 05-25-2001, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 43
What you can do today is use the AccessDTV HDTV tuner card in a PC, and removable hard disk frames (about $170 for 60 GB removable storage, enough for about 4.5 hours of HD video). This is not an ideal solution, but it works today. The new PVR application works but doesn't yet have all the features in the standalone analog PVRs.

There are of course lots of Firewire cards for PCs - though I'm sure integrating this with the AccessDTV would be non-trivial.

Gary

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-25-2001, 11:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Why does everyone here think the MPAA is all that powerfull that they can prevent a CE manufacturer from selling a VCR. The only thing that the MPAA can say to the CE manufacturers is that they won't produce pre-made D-VHS movies. The MPAA has no say in this. They can huff and puff but they can't blow the house down. The CE industry is the friend that scratches their backs with DVD sales and VHS sales. If a CE company wants to make a VCR with no copy-protection they can do it, but since most manufacturers in the US are in some way affiliated with a movie studio the likelihood of a manufacturer making a totally copyright protection free recorder is unlikely. Expect to see many HD-recorders in the near future, with at least the ability to record off a satelight feed or OTA feed.

------------------
Only in America.....Don King

Only in America.....Don King
post #5 of 7 Old 05-30-2001, 02:13 PM
tji
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What is the MPAA's real power? They just act as a thug for the movie houses, right? So, they can use strong arm tactics without giving the individual movie houses a bad reputation.

But, I think they do have some power.. Like in the DVD cases, where manufacturers did things they didn't like. Such as the Apex DVD player with a VGA port. Or, any of the DVD players that could be configured to ignore regions. I think they threatened those companies with refusal to license them the necessary DVD technologies (DeCSS). Without this, they couldn't play many DVD's, if they reverse engineered it, they would be in violation of the (ridiculous) DMCA.

Presumably, they will have some similar bit of technology in HD Recorders that lets them hold manufacturers hostage again.

Does this piss anyone else off to no end? Putting artificial restrictions on my (100% legal) use burns me up. Is any of this really going to stop the big time pirates that actually interfere with their profits?? I doubt it.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-31-2001, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of laws being written by lobbyists. There was a recent article on Slashdot that detailed a case where a person in Texas has posted on a web site a section of the Texas state legal code. It turns out that the organization that submitted the original bill to the Texas state legislature through some member of the legislature has copyrighted the bill. When the bill was passed into law, the lobby organization retained copyright and chose to enforce it in this case.

Now that's what I call ridiculous.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-31-2001, 09:09 PM

The MPAA can't flex it's muscle unless it has laws to flex. That's where lobiests come into play. Interesting enough, more than 50% of the laws introduced in this country were not originally written by a member of congress. A great deal of them are written by trade groups and take on by a member of congress. This allows the MPAA to really flex.

On an interesting note. The last Charlie Chat over on Dish Network indicated a HD PVR by the end of the year. Then again Dish Supports DVI, so who knows where that will end up. On the bright side Charlie has a habit of giving companies the middle finger on Patents and Regs (Aka Gemstar V Echostar or having GUI TV listings.) Charlie also has a huge amount of political mojo and was Al Gores largest private donor. Yeah the other guy one, but the dems in the senate aren't likely to forget about him.

So what will happen to HD PVR. Good question. I have Tivo right now, and the quality is lacking on a large screen HD rig. I love the GUI, but I'd drop it in a heart beat (even if the interface wasn't as nice) in order to get better quality.

Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page