Audio Dropouts Only with TU-DST50, or also 51? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-23-2001, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Both. The dropouts depend more on the AV receiver you are using than the DST50 versus 51. I haven't kept up with which receivers work best and which require a SHAC500.

Tom

[This message has been edited by tommyboy2 (edited 05-23-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-23-2001, 06:37 PM
sr

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a DST50 that was exchanged once by Panasonic under the warranty and the replacement unit has the audio drop-out problem. It seems to diminish as the STB warms up. I'm using the optical output to feed a Sony E9000ES Pre-amp. I have asked Panasonic to do a second exchange. If the replacement unit also has the problem, then I guess they have no solution. What's a SHAC500? I will hook my unit to anything that solves this problem.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-23-2001, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
The SHAC500 is the model number of a Technics DD/DTS audio processor. It will allow correct DD playback from the Panasonic TU-DST50/51 & PV-HD1000.

The general belief is that because Technics & Panasonic are both owned by the same company, that the equipment was tested together before release and proved compatible. All of it has been discontinued.

This problem is a compatibility issue between some equipment. It is not universal, as some DD decoders (for example Marantz) work fine with the Panasonic equipment.

It seemed like a cheap solution, at less than $250, if you wanted to use the Panasonic equipment to record HDTV and were unlucky enough to have a DD decoder that was not compatible.

If I remember correctly, this only happened during DVHS playback.

------------------
"better living thru modern expensive electronics"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #4 of 7 Old 05-23-2001, 10:23 PM

Is the notorious AC-3 audio dropout problem (with most decoders -- usually solved with an outboard Technics decoder) a problem with the TU-DST50 only, or does the TU-DST51 also have the problem?

Thanks,

Steve R
post #5 of 7 Old 05-24-2001, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

There used to be a thread with a list of "compatible" receivers and processors but I can't find it now. Someone determined the dropouts were eliminated if the decoding device used a particular brand of decoding chip.

The Technics DX receivers and SHAC500/300 decoders work. The Lexicon Pre/pros work. I think people also reported success with some models Harmon Kardon, Sony, Marantz, and Yamaha.

The inexpensive Technics decoders solve the dropout problem but the 2 I have introduce a little hiss at higher volumes.

Mike
post #6 of 7 Old 05-24-2001, 09:22 PM

I believe the problem is how the decoder handles an instantaneous AC-3 carrier dropout. The decoders probably mute during the dropout, but some have a longish fixed mute time. That is probably an adjustable parameter (at least I hope so) in the decoder. I am waiting for a reply from Lexicon who are looking into this issue, and I will post their results as soon as I hear back.

------------------
joel@HI-REZ

joel@HI-REZ
post #7 of 7 Old 06-01-2001, 01:20 PM

I got the Technics SHAC500 to handle better the dropouts, but it is worse than the SonyEP9ES processor I was using. On the Sony, each dropout was just a little dip, or skip in the sound. The Technics would produce a soft click for those same dropouts. I'm back to using the Sony.

-Tom
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page