Backup HD on DV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-04-2001, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There was a project going around before about a month ago where a guy here was trying to make a DV Deck backup HD. I can't find that thread anywhere. Does anyone know what happened to that, or where I can find the thread at?

It would be nice if Andy isn't going to release his product, if he would at least give us his information on how it works. Of course that probably won't happen. Who knows it may still get released after all. We'll c.

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-04-2001, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Never mind. Found it hear http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum12/...0844-2.html#55

This solution is probably the best, and cheapest way to record out there if you have an HTPC. If you don't its worth setting up. The basic jist of it is that you need an HTPC with an HDTV card, and a DV-cam and your in buisness. People that were going to use the 169 solution were probably already going to use the DV-cam anyway, this just needs a pc thrown into the mix. The funny part about it is that it also just happens to be done by a guy named Andy :-)

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

[This message has been edited by chap (edited 06-04-2001).]

post #3 of 9 Old 06-04-2001, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thanks for the pointer. In addition to what is outlined you also need a Firewire card for your PC for the camcorder to plug into.

You also need a piece of DV software to transfer the files back and forth between the PC and the camcorder. The one I have been recommending is ScenalyzerLive, because its cheap ($33 US) and it works well.

And the best part about it? You'll never guess the name of the guy who develops ScLive .... Andi http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif!

Andy K.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-04-2001, 10:24 AM
Sil

Liked: 10
Andy would this work with either starchoice
or EVu.

Sil
post #5 of 9 Old 06-04-2001, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
It requires a PC-based HDTV card, so anything that card can receive will work with it.

Specifically, I *think* there was a Model5000 Receiver for ExpresVu, so coupled with the modulator it would work. Starchoice unfortunately has nothing available.

Andy K.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-04-2001, 05:30 PM

I read the thread that you pointed to, but it was like coming in on the middle of the movie. Can someone put together an equipment list of what is needed to record HDTV in a computer and archive to a digital camcorder. Alternatively, is there a thread somewhere that already has this. I am unable to find one by searching, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

------------------
George Waters
post #7 of 9 Old 06-04-2001, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

waters -

The story sort of starts here: Introducing DVTools - Store ATSC on your DV Camcorder

There was something else called DVTools so he renamed it to DVspoof later.

- Tom

------------------
Getting started:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links .

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #8 of 9 Old 06-06-2001, 05:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I have a question for the ones who are "expertise" on this process.

If you wish to store a larger than 4G video file on a computer hard drive, wouldn't you need to use windows2000? Windows98se I thought had a 4 G limit on file size which is approx 16 minutes of DVCAM footage. The actual recording time for HDTV would be even less but I don't have the figures from them for HDTV.

I'm basing this on some discoveries I am currently making through designing a new digital editing system for my business that will be firewire I/O. The manufacturer of the video editing software has stated this in their specs. Since my editing requirements for this software will only be 30 second TV commercials and will not require long format file sizes, I can get away with win98se but I would think that for HDTV movie and TV show recording you will need at least an 80G drive with windows2000 OS. We also discovered that for realtime playback and digitizing the drives for video storage must be separate from the system drive.

------------------
Don Landis
Home Theater Pics at: www.scubatech.com Last updated 3/25/01
post #9 of 9 Old 06-06-2001, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Don: yes, you would need an OS running an NT file system to do a file more than 4 GB. Windows NT, 2000, and XP can create and access an NTFS drive. Windows 98/Me cannot.

For our purposes, the point is moot, however, because these HD cards break the files down into smaller chunks that play back seamlessly. For instance, the HiPix has "minute" files of about 140 MB. For DV encoding, this is governed mostly by the "write to tape" software app that you use (Scenalyzer, Adobe Premiere). Most of these apps work just fine encoding many small files seamlessly on one tape.

Of course, HD editing is a whole 'nother kettle of fish, requiring quite large files, I would imagine.

------------------
Dan

[This message has been edited by dschmelzer (edited 06-06-2001).]

Dan
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page