Dish 5c module - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-02-2001, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if Dish is working on a 5c/IEEE1394 module for the 6000? If they are, is there any expected release date? I would be interested to mate it up with a JVC DM30000 or perhaps the new Mits recorder coming out.

------------------
Regards,
Dave

Regards,
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-02-2001, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I certainly hope so! I just got an E-mail from a retailer offering a complete demo Panasonic/DISH recording setup
(Dish 5000, HD modulator, PV-HD1000 D-VHS, and TU-DST51)
for $3995! Ouch! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

HDTV Early Adopter
post #3 of 9 Old 06-03-2001, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm sure it's just a matter of time, now that DTCP/firewire products are being announced by other manufacturers.

David
post #4 of 9 Old 06-03-2001, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Newbie question. I know that with the 5C, any transmission can be copy protected at will by the broadcaster.

So is the earlier setup (5000, HD Modulator, Panasonic D-VHS, TU-DST51) going to be immune to ANY copy-protection?

Is it recording an analog output somewhere?

If the only way you can timeshift without any restrictions is to rely on discontinued products which have become expensive in the aftermarket, HDTV will never get off the ground.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-04-2001, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure I would look for a 5C module from Dish. Earlier this year Dish came out in support for DVI.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-07-2001, 10:20 AM

Yeah, but the whole point of the 6000's module strategy was to be able to change out the technology if/when standards change. DVI seems to be slowly dying off, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see a 5c module instead of, or perhaps in addition to the DVI module.

Bob

------------------
Evil Gemstar: All your guide are belong to us!
post #7 of 9 Old 06-07-2001, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Two years ago at CES, Dishnetwork showed a Firewire module, last year they showed DVI. They can easily do either, depending on the other factors. The biggest problem is that if they do a 5c/Firewire module, they will then be required by the license to make the component output be only 480I. Not really a great thing for those of us with 6000's.

/carmi
post #8 of 9 Old 06-08-2001, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Dish products are made by JVC. JVC is a MAJOR supporter of DVI. JVC has/will have an HD DVHS recorder out in the marketplace in the next few months.

It stands to reason that Dish will offer a DVI interface module for the 6000. This would allow the recording of HD programming from an existing HD STB...something that neither Mits, Sony or Panasonic will offer until they come out with a new HD STB. Seeing as these companies just released their new STB's only a few months ago, it might be late in 2002 or early in 2003 before that happens.

The only real problem is the price of the JVC recorder. It is 2X the price of the announced Mits DVHS unit.

Lee
post #9 of 9 Old 06-08-2001, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LeeAntin:
Dish products are made by JVC. JVC is a MAJOR supporter of DVI. JVC has/will have an HD DVHS recorder out in the marketplace in the next few months.
Dishnetwork products are made by Echostar themselves and re-branded by JVC among others. They are agnostic about DVI vs. 5c/Firewire, and will build whichever the market supports.

Quote:

It stands to reason that Dish will offer a DVI interface module for the 6000. This would allow the recording of HD programming from an existing HD STB...something that neither Mits, Sony or Panasonic will offer until they come out with a new HD STB. Seeing as these companies just released their new STB's only a few months ago, it might be late in 2002 or early in 2003 before that happens.
Why does it allow recording from an existing HD STB? DVI requires HDCP which is even more restrictive than 5c. All of the new sets that Sony announced for later this year, will have Firewire. Almost all of the studios have announced support for 5c. DVI has the same problem that I mentioned earlier (requirement that component outputs not be HD).

Quote:

The only real problem is the price of the JVC recorder. It is 2X the price of the announced Mits DVHS unit.

Lee
And has no real support from content providers any more.

/carmi
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page